BCAD Notices Mailed

19,454 Views | 131 Replies | Last: 9 mo ago by The Anchor
woodiewood1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Many commercial properties have not gone up no where as much as the residential properties have. For example here is a commercial properties tax appraisal info from 2020 to now.

Property Roll Value History Back to Top
Year
Improvements
Land Market
Ag Valuation
Appraised
HS Cap Loss
Assessed
$585,804
$794,759
$0
$1,380,563
$0
$1,380,563

$555,241
$794,759
$0
$1,350,000
$0
$1,350,000

$408,577
$794,759
$0
$1,203,336
$0
$1,203,336

$408,577
$794,759
$0
$1,203,336
$0
$1,203,336

The land value has not gone up at all. The total appraised value has gone up only 14.7%. My home has gone up 57% over the same duration.

KaneIsAble
AG
I assume because of sales tax; they're already getting it two ways but that's just my WAG.
happyinBCS
Sales tax ? I am a partner in a commercial property and thankful they don't raise the value like they do for residential property. They are only about 300% BELOW market value on the tax rolls unlike the residential property. It is totally unfair to hardworking homeowners.
Chewy
AG
KaneIsAble said:

I assume because of sales tax; they're already getting it two ways but that's just my WAG.
Sales Tax is a straight pass through on the consumer. Retail businesses are simply the collector from the consumer and remitter to the state. If they file and pay on time the business gets to keep a small amount for their burden to collect from the consumer and remit to the state.
woodiewood1
KaneIsAble said:

Commercial businesses pay sales tax on their properties or on the products they sell? I thought the consumers pay the tax on what they buy?
woodiewood1
happyinBCS said:

Sales tax ? I am a partner in a commercial property and thankful they don't raise the value like they do for residential property. They are only about 300% BELOW market value on the tax rolls unlike the residential property. It is totally unfair to hardworking homeowners.
Exactly. Homeowners in Texas aught to get together and file a lawsuit on unequal taxation.
KaneIsAble
AG
woodiewood1 said:

KaneIsAble said:

Commercial businesses pay sales tax on their properties or on the products they sell? I thought the consumers pay the tax on what they buy?

Again; I have no real idea. My thought process is/was maybe they appreciate the steady sales tax revenue and don't want to risk putting a business out of business with steep property tax hikes. Again; just spitballing here because I've always wondered the same thing.
deh40
AG
Carnwellag2 said:

with such large increases - the county is going to go crazy with all that extra cash.

I am a firm believer that taxable value on your homestead should be capped at the first year after purchase. It should only reset after there is a sale. people budget based on mortgage, insurance, and property tax when buying a home. pricing people out of their home is ridiculous.

If the county/ city/ isd needs more tax revenue they should have to raise the tax rate and be subject to their constituents.
They tried to raise the rates in addition to these huge valuation increases.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
For seniors are values themselves capped or the amount they pay is capped?
Red Pear Luke (BCS)
Sponsor
AG
Orlando Ayala Cant Read said:

Amount that they pay is capped/fixed on the year they hit 65. So if the property jumps up to $100 Million after that, they will still only pay the same as the year before.
BiochemAg97
AG
Carnwellag2 said:

with such large increases - the county is going to go crazy with all that extra cash.

I am a firm believer that taxable value on your homestead should be capped at the first year after purchase. It should only reset after there is a sale. people budget based on mortgage, insurance, and property tax when buying a home. pricing people out of their home is ridiculous.

If the county/ city/ isd needs more tax revenue they should have to raise the tax rate and be subject to their constituents.

This is basically what California did. They are facing some significant unintended consequences of that. People effectively trapped in a larger house than they need because while they could easily buy a smaller house with the equity in the current house, they can't afford the increased tax bill on the smaller house. California has been kicking around an idea to allow people to keep their tax bill freeze when they downsize to allow empty nesters to get out of large houses and into small ones.

It also significantly impacts the housing market as people will basically stay in the one house forever rather than "trading up"/"trading down".

Also, by Texas law, taxing entities have to face their constituents when the tax revenue increases beyond a certain %. Property values increasing can trigger that even if the rate is the same or doesn't go down enough.

The law recognizes that what people should really care about is the tax bill. Doesn't matter if it increases by increased property value or increased tax rate.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
Red Pear Luke (BCS) said:

Orlando Ayala Cant Read said:

Amount that they pay is capped/fixed on the year they hit 65. So if the property jumps up to $100 Million after that, they will still only pay the same as the year before.

Ty
George Costanza
"If the county/ city/ isd needs more tax revenue they should have to raise the tax rate and be subject to their constituents.
They tried to raise the rates in addition to these huge valuation increases."

Actually the BISD and CSISD tax rates have each decreased 16% and 14% over the last 4 years.
deh40
AG
George Costanza said:

"If the county/ city/ isd needs more tax revenue they should have to raise the tax rate and be subject to their constituents.

Actually the BISD and CSISD tax rates have each decreased 16% and 14% over the last 4 years.
Referring to County trying to raise rates. ISDs reduced rates because they got more state money.
BiochemAg97
AG
deh40 said:

George Costanza said:

Referring to County trying to raise rates. ISDs reduced rates because they got more state money.

Brazos County tax rate was 0.485 in 16, 17, and 18. Raised to 0.4975 in 2019, decreased to 0.495 in 2020.

2022 tax resolution was .429411, which is a lower rate than 2016.

State law requires taxing entities to report multiple rates when planning taxes for the next tax year.

A no new revenue rate which is the rate that would keep revenue the same to account for increases in property values. This is not the prior year rate, and with increasing property values could be considerably lower than the current rate.

Also, because state law requires voter approval to increase revenue beyond a certain %, they publish a voter approval rate. There would need to be voter approval to set the rate at or above the voter approval rate. In some cases, property values will increase enough that the voter approval rate is less than the prior year rate.

In my experience, most will set the rate below the voter approval rate but above the no new revenue rate. Inflation bites counties too, both in wage increases and costs of goods/services, so the no new revenue rate is not realistic.

Anything above the no new revenue rate is an increase in tax revenue, so even lowering the tax rate can be portrayed as increasing taxes.
George Costanza
"Referring to County trying to raise rates. ISDs reduced rates because they got more state money."

1. You specifically including ISDs in your initial incorrect statement.
2. This new statement is also incorrect,
3. It's ok to be opposed to the current property tax system and/or evaluations without needing to rely on incorrect assumptions.
woodiewood1
BiochemAg97 said:

Carnwellag2 said:

This is basically what California did. They are facing some significant unintended consequences of that. People effectively trapped in a larger house than they need because while they could easily buy a smaller house with the equity in the current house, they can't afford the increased tax bill on the smaller house. California has been kicking around an idea to allow people to keep their tax bill freeze when they downsize to allow empty nesters to get out of large houses and into small ones.

It also significantly impacts the housing market as people will basically stay in the one house forever rather than "trading up"/"trading down".

Also, by Texas law, taxing entities have to face their constituents when the tax revenue increases beyond a certain %. Property values increasing can trigger that even if the rate is the same or doesn't go down enough.

The law recognizes that what people should really care about is the tax bill. Doesn't matter if it increases by increased property value or increased tax rate.
I don't know how California does it, but in Texas my understanding is that the percentage of taxes the senior homeowner pays stays the same. The tax freeze for school taxes on a new homestead following such transfer is determined by calculating the percentage of school taxes that are frozen on the current homestead and applying that percentage to the school taxes of the new home. For instance, if the homeowner pays $100 in school taxes for the current homestead, but would have to pay $400 without the tax freeze, the percentage of school taxes paid is 25%. If the school taxes on the new home would normally be $800 in the first year, tax-freeze portability results in school taxes of $200 (or 25% of $800) on that home.
scd88
AG
Anyone else still have "NA" in their valuation column?
dallasiteinsa02
We are an NA. They are mailing a huge batch on Friday.
scd88
AG
dallasiteinsa02 said:

We are an NA. They are mailing a huge batch on Friday.

I called a few minutes ago and was told June 3rd.

ETA - I feel like the late announcements are going to be a hammering. I wish you the best and you have my sympathies (in advance)
tb9665
I sent something in to appeal my taxes and still have not heard anything back. I know that some people have received a date and time and even mailed it after the deadline. Has anyone else had this problem?
Red Pear Luke (BCS)
Sponsor
AG
tb9665 said:

I sent something in to appeal my taxes and still have not heard anything back. I know that some people have received a date and time and even mailed it after the deadline. Has anyone else had this problem?

I heard back from them yesterday and their settlement offer was a joke. I rejected and then heard yesterday afternoon that my ARB date is on the week of June 20th. I know another person in my neighborhood also heard and they have their ARB date this week.
dallasiteinsa02
Our neighborhood has gotten up to the above market. I would take a check right now for what they have our house at.
spike427
AG
I was looking on Brazos CAD this weekend and my value is LOWER than the mailed notice generated in April. I did not protest. Anyone else notice this? It was a pretty significant change, though still above 10% so the HS cap kicked in.
spike427
AG
I don't recall getting a "corrected" notice in the mail before this year. Anyone else? They adjusted the market value down, which reduces the exemption amount for CoCS taxes, which means I'll actually pay more in city taxes. I'm not really impressed...
RNAggie
AG
We got an email yesterday with our corrected amount on our primary and a notice that our rental was still pending. We havent gotten any paper mail about it yet.
The Anchor
AG
Just wanted to post that I fought this years appraisal and won.

I had the informal meeting and they lowered my valuation around 60k. Then had my formal protest yesterday and they took off another 22k. They reduced my total price from 545k to 463k so about 15% off. It is close to market value now so I feel good about it.

It was my first experience with the protest process and I will likely do it every year that it is necessary.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.