CSISD *ASKS* Students to Wear Masks

20,064 Views | 165 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Stupe
GiveEmHellBill
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
gunan01 said:

Ya this should pretty much put an end to any argument from the anti-masker crowd. At this point, if you don't want mandatory masks in schools, you are just going against it for political reasons.
dubi
AG
I just don't like masks, but Abbott is not preventing anyone from wearing one.
Stupe
S
gunan01 said:

Ya this should pretty much put an end to any argument from the anti-masker crowd. At this point, if you don't want mandatory masks in schools, you are just going against it for political reasons.
When I hear someone use a false dilemma, it pretty much puts an end to me listening to what they have to say.
toolshed
AG
I can confirm that if you choose to quarantine with Bryan ISD your child will be counted absent. Not sure about makeup work.

Seems like an incentive for people to send sick kids to school, which seems dumb and counter intuitive.
Tailgate88
AG
gunan01 said:

Flagged for trolling.
Independence H-D
Except the kids will all be fine and have the natural immunity. Which is far better than the "vaccine" (plus booster, plus booster, plus booster with the new "ivermectin like" pills that big pharma is now producing).
toolshed
AG
I don't think I made any comment as to whether kid's health would be affected/ if they'd be fine. I don't dispute that, the data and odds back that up.

My point is if you want kids to quarantine as to not spread the virus, then why would you count them absent for that 10-14 days, and not have any means of keeping up with their school work during that time? If head of schools or districts are highly encouraging masks as a preventative, then why wouldn't they have a process, that's already in place as it was used last year, for kids to keep up with their work and be counted as present while doing the "right thing" excercising caution if they're sick, or have a known exposure. It seems counter productive or hypocritical in many ways. Much like telling the masses to mask up but then being seen at big gatherings with no masks in place.

My daughter is a freshman, and I'm not necessarily a vaccine proponent for kids. Both of my kids got Covid in October and felt bad for 24 hrs or less, so it's hard to justify a new vaccine for something that causes less issues for them than their asthma/ croupy cough or sinus cold. I realize they're around adults, but those adults have the same option to mask/ vaccinate should they choose to or not. And currently, most people I'm hearing of that are getting Covid are vaccinated, so a vaccine isn't necessarily a preventative to getting Covid. Lessen symptoms, likely yes. But don't count on the shot to keep you from getting it.
cavscout96
AG
I may be mistaken, but "counted absent" =/= "ineligible to make up missed assignments."

Stupe
S
Independence H-D said:

Except the kids will all be fine and have the natural immunity. Which is far better than the "vaccine" (plus booster, plus booster, plus booster with the new "ivermectin like" pills that big pharma is now producing).
What does that have to do with what toolshed posted?
histag10
AG
cavscout96 said:

I may be mistaken, but "counted absent" =/= "ineligible to make up missed assignments."

For elementary, I was told no makeup work if they miss. They will not send ANY work home that would have to go back to school (because COVID), and they will not have assignments on schoology because they are not hybrid this year
Stupe
S
Tailgate88 said:

gunan01 said:

Flagged for trolling.
Go read some of the posts by gunan01 on the covid or politics boards. I don't think it's trolling.
toolshed
AG
My comments were geared toward Histag's earlier comments about being absent and makeup work. I should have quoted or replied to her originally.

I only commented because we got an email a couple days ago stating one of our kids was in a class with another kid that is/ was positive. The email said that quarantining was our choice, but know they'd be counted as absent. Nothing was stated in the email about making up work.

In my opinion, if the schools really wanted people to be proactive and not send kids to school, that email would better explain your options as a parent. Something along the lines of "your child will be counted absent, but here is the mechanism for that child being able to keep up with class work and tests during that potential 2 week period." Or longer if you really follow some of the CDC guidelines.

I don't know the rules currently, but when we were sick in October, it was better for my wife that she got sick, otherwise the policy was that she quarantine my two weeks of being sick, plus two more if she didn't get sick herself.

I understand the schools are overwhelmed with lots of things in lots of directions. This just seems short sighted in my opinion. Maybe it's to encourage everyone to be back on campus and teachers not be pulled in two directions, teaching kids in class and having to do a second round of work keeping kids at home caught up. I don't know, but that's a valid issue to deal with. I just hope kids are penalized and get wild behind in schooling and makeup work because they get sick or someone in their family or classroom is sick and they have to quarantine because of it.
cavscout96
AG
histag10 said:

cavscout96 said:

For elementary, I was told no makeup work if they miss. They will not send ANY work home that would have to go back to school (because COVID), and they will not have assignments on schoology because they are not hybrid this year

so are those grades just not counted at all (for or against)?

In other words, are the students being assessed zeros or just not assessed at all. Both are bad regardless.
cavscout96
AG
toolshed said:

My comments were geared toward Histag's earlier comments about being absent and makeup work. I should have quoted or replied to her originally.

I only commented because we got an email a couple days ago stating one of our kids was in a class with another kid that is/ was positive. The email said that quarantining was our choice, but know they'd be counted as absent. Nothing was stated in the email about making up work.

In my opinion, if the schools really wanted people to be proactive and not send kids to school, that email would better explain your options as a parent. Something along the lines of "your child will be counted absent, but here is the mechanism for that child being able to keep up with class work and tests during that potential 2 week period." Or longer if you really follow some of the CDC guidelines.

I don't know the rules currently, but when we were sick in October, it was better for my wife that she got sick, otherwise the policy was that she quarantine my two weeks of being sick, plus two more if she didn't get sick herself.

I understand the schools are overwhelmed with lots of things in lots of directions. This just seems short sighted in my opinion. Maybe it's to encourage everyone to be back on campus and teachers not be pulled in two directions, teaching kids in class and having to do a second round of work keeping kids at home caught up. I don't know, but that's a valid issue to deal with. I just hope kids are penalized and get wild behind in schooling and makeup work because they get sick or someone in their family or classroom is sick and they have to quarantine because of it.
doesn't sound like a very well though tout, or communicated, policy.
George Costanza
That "policy" isn't a local decision. Its controlled by TEA and, ultimately, the Texas Legislature.
histag10
AG
cavscout96 said:

histag10 said:

cavscout96 said:

so are those grades just not counted at all (for or against)?

In other words, are the students being assessed zeros or just not assessed at all. Both are bad regardless.

I have no idea. All I know is I asked his teacher about homework and makeup work (we have a 504 for a medical condition). I was told that no school work would be going home, and that assignments were not available on schoology unless it was an assignment they were doing on schoology in class
cavscout96
AG
Still doesn't answer the question.

threecatcorner
George Costanza said:

That "policy" isn't a local decision. Its controlled by TEA and, ultimately, the Texas Legislature.

Not surprised.
Tookieclothespin
AG
nthomas99 said:

Tookieclothespin said:

Bucketrunner said:

Home schooling is the future of education when school boards don't use common sense.
How are we supposed to do that if we have to work? You know...to feed the kids...clothe them...house them...

If I could I would, but probably not for the reasons you're suggesting.

Well, if the tax $$$ followed the student, a world of possibilities opens up...

I believe it's around $10K/yr the district gets per child (someone correct me with a more precise number if they know). If that had been available to the community during the pandemic early days, I would've teamed up with a few neighbors, hired a teacher (at a far higher salary) with a support staff member, and had a far better alternative to virtual learning. A micro-school of 15ish students with paid staff and some support from parents would be an interesting model to see explored.
Seems a bit pie in the sky but I'm down. I already pay pretty much that for pre-school. I doubt it'd be enough but it's a start.
FJB
nthomas99
AG
Tookieclothespin said:

nthomas99 said:

Tookieclothespin said:

Bucketrunner said:

Home schooling is the future of education when school boards don't use common sense.
How are we supposed to do that if we have to work? You know...to feed the kids...clothe them...house them...

If I could I would, but probably not for the reasons you're suggesting.

Well, if the tax $$$ followed the student, a world of possibilities opens up...

I believe it's around $10K/yr the district gets per child (someone correct me with a more precise number if they know). If that had been available to the community during the pandemic early days, I would've teamed up with a few neighbors, hired a teacher (at a far higher salary) with a support staff member, and had a far better alternative to virtual learning. A micro-school of 15ish students with paid staff and some support from parents would be an interesting model to see explored.
Seems a bit pie in the sky but I'm down. I already pay pretty much that for pre-school. I doubt it'd be enough but it's a start.

Maybe the exact scenario I list is (I'm more just arguing for freedom to try alternate models). However, I am pretty confident that money following the student would lead to greater accountability, greater choices for families, better education for students, *and* better compensation / overall experience for teachers.
KidDoc
AG
Great article here. Rational and scientific discussion of risk vs benefit of masking especially in the very young. By a west coast doc even!

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2021/09/school-mask-mandates-downside/619952/
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
CS78
Good article. The potential damage to emotional and psychological development isnt worth it.
Gigemchicken90
AG
My sons golf team has their first test tomorrow for a match Wednesday. Fingers are crossed.
'90
Donny Hall
I received an email on the 10th letting me know that my son was exposed on the 7th. Here is what one of those emails looks like for our CSISD:

This notification is to inform you that an individual in Mrs. XXX's homeroom class at College Hills has tested positive for COVID-19. This individual was last on campus on 9-7-21.
Due to privacy requirements, we will not be releasing the name of the individual or any other details regarding this case that may identify the individual.
Your child may have been exposed to COVID-19 at school, and you may choose to have your child quarantine according to the CSISD Mitigation and Response Protocol. If you do choose to quarantine your child, please contact our office so that we are aware.
Please be diligent in monitoring your child for symptoms of COVID-19. If your child does become symptomatic, please keep them home from school and contact our school nurse.

My son tested Negative this morning. 75% of his class wears a mask indoors.
Stupe
S
75% in one class?

My kids are saying that there are so few wearing masks at their schools that the students wearing masks stand out.
Stupe
S
I'm not going into too much detail, but we got a similiar email in August and we asked our child daily how many kids were missing in that class. The reply was "{name} with Covid and another kid but his parents are just being real careful" My kid looked at me like I was crazy when I asked how many were wearing masks in that class.
Stupe
S
For the record, I'm not saying that the masks didn't have something to do with your kid testing negative, but it could also be anecdotal. From the parents that I know who have had positive tests, it doesn't seem to matter if a bunch in a class are wearing them or if none are wearing them.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.