CSISD *ASKS* Students to Wear Masks

20,056 Views | 165 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Stupe
George Costanza
How long do you want to ignore this user?
https://www.csisd.org/about_csisd/2021-2022_c_o_v_i_d-19_i_n_f_o_r_m_a_t_i_o_n
histag10
AG
Oogway said:

Some have, others have been able to shift employees from one location to another. Others still have had to close for a short time or have simply had wait times and service quality suffer. It requires empathy and community and cooperation and those seem in short supply lately.

I'm in favor of in person schooling. No comparison to the best educational outcomes and learning environment there. However, if it becomes an issue of not enough staff to cover classes, what measures could they adopt to assist? I suppose there are options, such as increasing class sizes, etc.

What grocery store or bank has had to shut down? I have heard of family owned restaurants closing, but nothing really beyond that.
gunan01
AG
Reading through these "measures", it looks like they were mostly hamstrung by state regulations. Distancing, consideration of outdoor classes (weather permitting), dividers, masks, contact tracing should have been the minimum measures to take to reduce spread.

Again, there are districts in Texas shutting down in-person schools already due to COVID-19 spread. Seems like CSISD is going towards that if you look at case counts and teacher absences.
Oogway
I assumed the poster I was replying to was speaking generally and so was my response. Locally, besides restaurants as you mentioned, I know the teller at the bank I frequent said they had a branch close but I think that was just for a day, maybe? I think there was a hair place that also changed its hours due to being short staffed. How much of that is COVID related I don't know. It's more to the point that retail/businesses have options that an ISD may not have which was to what I was referring. I mean, you go into the grocery store and they have fewer cashiers, okay you may have to wait a while to pay, but not sure how that's going to work with a classroom....
histag10
AG
You can always move to online for a week or so if needed.
TaterTot_09
histag10 said:

Stupe said:

What percentage of the students that are wearing masks are wearing those?

And changing the filters or changing out masks in a timely fashion?

If you saw my kids mask at the end of each day last year, you would gag. I even packed him multiple so he could change it, but he never did. I mean, he would sneeze in it, and keep wearing it.

Same with ours last year! It looked as if she had been inhaling cheeto dust somehow. At one point during the school year I asked her if she wanted me to get her a lanyard to keep it on so she wouldn't lose it during recess and she replied with a no and said that they put their masks in a basket at recess and then grab it on their way back in. All masks in one basket, that is. Luckily I saw the humor in it since I'm not big on masking in the first place and I already thought masks were useless, especially at that age. They may as well not have been wearing them last year, in my opinion. Kids are gross and there isn't much that can be done to keep them from getting virus' that are super contagious. This year most kids are maskless in our school and there hasn't been widespread disease in her class/school, despite what KBTX and other media outlets have reported.
Oogway
histag10 said:

I think that's a great idea, and wish the TEA would've figured out a way to do it within school districts with a hybrid system. It's not ideal, but they're at least with their local group. That was one of the harder things with online last year--my son missed his buddies. They know all his jokes, they have shared experiences together, it's part of the social network that young people have.

Bullpen Chias
AG
CSISD is the one who originally reported the significant increase in cases - not KBTX.
histag10
AG
Oogway said:

histag10 said:

I think that's a great idea, and wish the TEA would've figured out a way to do it within school districts with a hybrid system. It's not ideal, but they're at least with their local group. That was one of the harder things with online last year--my son missed his buddies. They know all his jokes, they have shared experiences together, it's part of the social network that young people have.

Let me clarify, I didnt mean full online as an option, but rather go online if an outbreak or teacher shortage necessitates it for a short period of time. I was not a fan of the hybrid model last year
Stupe said:

Quote:

Writing to you from MD Anderson where I'm inpatient. People are tired. Professional people are nervous. They r worn out. I'm in a world class facility and I can't even imagine what the other facilities are like. It can't be good.
I'm not making light of your situation at all and I hope that you recover from whatever has you there.

You are an in an extremely high risk environment for infection even without this pandemic. Public schools are not that setting setting and it's comparing apples to oranges.
I want to clarify and I thank you for your well wishes, Stupe.

To be clear, I am safe and sound in a top floor of MD Anderson with a beautiful view of the Astrodome and NRG Stadium. Everyone around me is vaccinated and masked. I've literally got the best team in the world curing my rare leukemia and I will walk out of here in a month or so with brand new bone marrow and a new attitude. That is when it might get dicey but that is another problem for another day.

What is different about this stay at MD Anderson (I've had more than a few) is the staff is tired. Stretched. The doctors are frustrated. They don't want to be heroes anymore. They don't want signs and cookies. They want people to practice basic pandemic hygiene and get vaccinated, if they are able. My nurses are working around the clock to care for me and as they drive in to work, some are afraid that they might be floated to the covid19 floor. Some of my nurses are salty and some are fresh out of nursing school. A 28 year old nurse with a decent amount of experience confessed that she had never seen so many people die before. She was surged to covid floor for a bit. She normally gave chemo and people got worse and then mostly better but she didn't have to watch people suffocate day after day. She was thrilled to be back on my floor for now. A young man worried for his family at home while he worked. His wife is in healthcare too and they are working lots of hours while balancing young children. Their lives are disrupted at home and he is trying to hold things together while pulling extra shifts at the hospital. A group of nurses here decided to go to Hawaii for 6 months and give vaccines as the stress of cancer plus covid patients was taking a serious toll. The part of the nursing team with family here understood their coworkers decision but have ties and responsibilities in Houston and can't leave but now they work more to cover shifts that have to be covered. There are as many personal stories as there are people. No one is saying "I love my job!" like they have in the past.

I'm not even going to mention what the doctors tell me as it would not be difficult to figure out who they are. My team is very small and specialized. They have treated me for over 15 years. I know them very well. Let me just say that they are worried and frustrated. Not about me. I'm in their wheelhouse. They do leukemia and transplant every day. They worry about their adult children and grandchildren and covid. They are the leaders in their extended family units and come from all over the globe. Medicine has never been so emotionally charged before. They are professionals and they will hold it together but it seems to me that we should do our part to help. And yes, I mean vaccinate and wear a mask. And wash your dang hands. (Where are the people against handwashing? You must be out there) It is not perfect. It is something. Even if you or your child wear the mask wrong, it is a sign that you actually care. You actually tried.

If you or a loved one is ever in the position of almost suffocating to death, you want a fresh, rested, brilliant doctor and nurse team to attend to you. You don't want one that has been beaten and battered and had fights within their families about science and medicine just trying to do their job.

Oogway
I think we're talking at cross purposesI agree with you regarding online/temp/hybrid but I'm juggling some stuff today and reading too fast!

MiMi
S
I hope many people read your post. I wish I had more blue stars to offer you. Very well-written and really gives us an insider look at what our health care professionals are dealing with right now. I wish you a speedy recovery so you can put your battle with leukemia in the rear view mirror!
Stupe
S
Quote:

Even if you or your child wear the mask wrong, it is a sign that you actually care. You actually tried.
I'm going to ask a very blunt question. Are you saying that people that don't wear masks don't "actually care"?
gunan01
AG
Amen well said.
DavysApprentice
AG
Stupe said:

Quote:

Even if you or your child wear the mask wrong, it is a sign that you actually care. You actually tried.
I'm going to ask a very blunt question. Are you saying that people that don't wear masks don't "actually care"?

I get the spirit of trying to make it look like you are trying but I am not putting a pointless mask on my 6 year old to make other people feel better. Agree with getting vaccinated though. It's really the only thing that has shown to make a huge difference especially as it pertains to hospitalization
motherrunnersBCS
Well we finally got a study on masks and covid, by studying about 340,000 people in Bangladesh for 4 months. Mask wearing reduced the chance of the wearer showing covid antibodies by 10-33%. But the mask has to be a good one, like a surgical mask, not just cloth.

I thought I was wearing a mask to protect other people, but apparently it does help me as well. If in a group of people, a surgical mask is a good help. My daughter prefers a surgical mask with a silk mask over it - a trick taught to us by a Korean friend.
dubi
AG
motherrunnersBCS said:

My daughter prefers a surgical mask with a silk mask over it - a trick taught to us by a Korean friend.
I'm so happy she can tolerate that. My old self feels like I'm suffocating with just 1 mask.
dubi
AG
Yesterday KBTX was talking about the new TX Covid dashboard.

They said there are 214 kids hospitalized with Covid; that number seems small for all the media drama. They are full, but they have RSV/pneumonia/other stuff.

IMO, this tiny number does validate Abbott's decision to be mask free. Kids are catching Covid but not being hospitalized.
Stupe
S
FlyRod said:

Several ISDs in the Brazos Valley just announced they're going virtual. It hasn't dawned on the "let 'er rip" crowd that they're in a small and shrinking minority, and folks concerned about the health of their kids are losing patience with them. A lot.
Still waiting on a link that shows a list of the ISD's in the Brazos Valley that are going virtual.
histag10
AG
Stupe said:

FlyRod said:

Several ISDs in the Brazos Valley just announced they're going virtual. It hasn't dawned on the "let 'er rip" crowd that they're in a small and shrinking minority, and folks concerned about the health of their kids are losing patience with them. A lot.
Still waiting on a link that shows a list of the ISD's in the Brazos Valley that are going virtual.

He doesnt have one, because they arent. I have not heard of ANY BV school going virtual, except private schools offering hybrid options.
George Costanza
Link to that study?
Mathguy64
AG
Hearne Elem and Jr high are shut down. While not part of the "Brazos Valley", on our general area I know of Trinity ISD, Onalaska ISD and Livingston ISD that are all closed. They are for staff shortages due to COVID more than students.
Stupe
S
Even in Hearne, two schools isn't the entire district. FlyRod didn't say "a few schools" or "a district". He said "several districts".

That is a perfect example of the exaggeration that is getting used in order to scare people.
motherrunnersBCS
Add Connelly ISD (Waco) to the list.

Stupe
S
To the list of districts that aren't in the Brazos Valley?
Stupe
S
I realize that things might change. But when that post was made, there were no public announcements of districts going virtual. That is my point.
motherrunnersBCS
https://med.stanford.edu/news/all-news/2021/09/surgical-masks-covid-19.html
dubi
AG
motherrunnersBCS said:

https://med.stanford.edu/news/all-news/2021/09/surgical-masks-covid-19.html
What happens when you quit wearing a mask? Next month, next year?
Stupe
S
The very first sentence in the study in that link says:
Quote:

wearing a surgical face mask over the mouth and nose is an effective way to reduce the occurrence of COVID-19 in community settings.
My entire issue with mandating masks is that they are only effective if worn properly. That means over both the mouth and nose. And they have to be washed if they are reusable or thrown out if they are the paper masks.

From what I've seen, all of that being done is a rarity. Seeing a bunch of noses sticking out of masks to stop a disease that is inhaled was laughable to me.
gunan01
AG
Ya this should pretty much put an end to any argument from the anti-masker crowd. At this point, if you don't want mandatory masks in schools, you are just going against it for political reasons.
George Costanza
"Those living in villages randomly assigned to a series of interventions promoting the use of surgical masks were about 11% less likely than those living in control villages to develop COVID-19, which is caused by infection with the SARS-CoV-2 virus, during the eight-week study period."

" ... there were also fewer COVID-19 cases in villages with cloth masks as compared to control villages, the difference was not statistically significant."

So 11% decrease in Covid if everyone is wearing a surgical mask and no difference if everyone is wearing a cloth mask?

Hammerheadjim
AG
MaximusDMeridius said:

cavscout96 said:

MaximusDMeridius said:

Bucketrunner said:

Home schooling is the future of education when school boards don't use common sense.
you can't make me raise my kids AND teach them as well !!!

Joking.....right?
lol yeah
Walk softly and carry a big stick! Make sure the big stick makes big boom noises and flashy bright lights.
Ukraine Gas Expert
AG
That is false, people not supporting masks have repeatedly said the right masks "may" work (N95, form fitting, etc.) and the cloth ones were worthless.

In controlled environments masks may work, again proper kind, but kids are not a control group and I'll share again why the mask people are only doing it for politics.
TaterTot_09
Bullpen Chias said:

CSISD is the one who originally reported the significant increase in cases - not KBTX.

Nowhere did I say KBTX had reported CSISD's cases
Bullpen Chias
AG
TaterTot_09 said:

Bullpen Chias said:

Nowhere did I say KBTX had reported CSISD's cases

Sorry, I see now where you said KBTX reported widespread disease in your daughter's class or school.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.