CSISD *ASKS* Students to Wear Masks

20,054 Views | 165 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Stupe
cslifer
How long do you want to ignore this user?
That information is available. Why don't you request it and post your findings?
SCHTICK00
AG
I'm sure it is, but are you implying a quick google search gets the results? If so post what you have since the internet isn't where I spend all my time.

These are legitimate questions that, depending on the answers, would lend credibility to our superintendents claim. Data has been manipulated far too much over Covid for us to accept any stats at face value
TyHolden
AG
jja79 said:

How many sick and requiring medical care? My son's college golf team had to test before they could practice and only vaccinated guys tested positive. Publicizing positive test numbers has an agenda.
this 100% agree
Bullpen Chias
AG
MaximusDMeridius said:

jja79 said:

How many sick and requiring medical care? My son's college golf team had to test before they could practice and only vaccinated guys tested positive. Publicizing positive test numbers has an agenda.
this 100% agree

While I agree that those hyping the constant drumbeat of case counts have an agenda, there is an undeniable correlation in cases to deaths. Case count tells you what is about to happen to death count. Despite getting much better at treatments, more cases inevitably means increased hospitalization and death metrics.

[If graphics are large please provide a link to the graphic. -Staff]
Ukraine Gas Expert
AG
For reference, last year there were 586 cases reported for the entire state of Texas by August 30th. Clearly reporting (self) and testing has changed.

https://dshs.texas.gov/chs/data/tea/Historical-Data-for-the-2020-2021-School-Year.xls

In regards to masking, there is no substantial data stating the paper masks, surgery masks, or cloth masks make any sort of improvement. If there was it would be blasted everywhere, and it isn't. What there is however, are articles stating masks work, but most people don't read them.

In those articles they outline that masks (the proper kind N95) in controlled environments and certain conditions can work, but there is no evidence the others do. It's sneaky, but exactly like the tweet posted in this tread already. Very misleading about the data and just fast pieces most people don't pay attention to really.

ETA: Correction on CSISD, the link took me to 2020. There are currently 309 active cases in the district. 78 staff have tested positive,

Bullpen Chias
AG
CSISD will be a small case study (14k participants) on masks. Full year of masks vs potentially a full year without. Will be worth watching how it continues to develop.
Bullpen Chias
AG
dubi said:

How many were hospitalized?

Once again case counts are meaningless and are used to herd sheep.

No data on kids, but I will say getting into urgent care/ED (non-Covid issue) was very difficult on Sunday in College Station. We were turned away and told no availability if you were over 10yo. The one we got into had a 4 hour wait. Not typical I would assume.
dubi
AG
Quote:

No data on kids, but I will say getting into urgent care/ED (non-Covid issue) was very difficult on Sunday in College Station. We were turned away and told no availability if you were over 10yo. The one we got into had a 4 hour wait. Not typical I would assume.

That is not typical.

However lots of kids and adults have been home for 1.5 years and are passing around all sorts of virus (covid, flu, tummy bug).

Also that flu virus has hit us both at our house and we felt bad for almost a week. We both took covid tests and they were negative. In normal times, you would not worry if you had a cold or mild flu; now we are scared and all go to urgent care to get tested.
dubi
AG
And the good news is I think we will see hospital census drop in the next few weeks.

I'd rather have the spike now with warm weather than later in the winter when we have normal flu/pneumonia spikes.

BCSWguru
there will be another spike in the winter, just like there was this winter.
cavscout96
AG
dubi said:

Quote:

That is not typical.

However lots of kids and adults have been home for 1.5 years and are passing around all sorts of virus (covid, flu, tummy bug).

Also that flu virus has hit us both at our house and we felt bad for almost a week. We both took covid tests and they were negative. In normal times, you would not worry if you had a cold or mild flu; now we are scared and all go to urgent care to get tested.
is a run on Urgent Care this year's run on TP and hand sanitizer? maybe.

As dubi points out, many will go when they otherwise would have rode it out at home over fear of COVID.

This could be good or bad.

your example is clearly bad, but could be "good" if more things (COVID and others) are caught early enough to enable effective intervention.

it still comes down to surge capacity. It's something we should be addressing on a larger scale IMO.

How does TXARNG figure in? Can you build a cadre of retired health care professionals to surge on non-pandemic needs and enable the "full-timers" to focus on the crisis at hand?

Is it feasible? How is this administered? How is it funded? Who is eligible? How are the vetted? What continuing education is required to participate?, etc.

Could do the same with USAR, fire, LEO (maybe) for times of catastrophe or crisis.

Kind of like the way I understand (on the surface) Merchant Marine works, or if you "formalized" loose organizations like "The Cajun Navy."
dubi
AG
LSCSN said:

Agreed. But if we get lots of positive covid's now, there will be less kids to be sick this winter.

I am all for it spreading through the schools right now! Let them all catch it and get this over with.
BCSWguru
I don't disagree with you, I was just trying to convey the shrieking will go on no matter what the numbers are.
4lilmonkeys
dubi said:

LSCSN said:

Agreed. But if we get lots of positive covid's now, there will be less kids to be sick this winter.

I am all for it spreading through the schools right now! Let them all catch it and get this over with.
I agree.

Our kids have already had and recovered from COVID. One was pretty sick for about ten days, lost taste and smell, lethargic and feverish- exactly like the flu. One was sick for about 48 hours and his twin brother had absolutely no symptoms whatsoever.

I am solidly in the "kids don't need to be masked camp." It has nothing to do with "mah freedoms," I am simply just not convinced that they are necessary for this age group and my kids will not be wearing them anymore.

I am not a doctor or a scientist, just a normal person who's using their personal experience here. With the uptick in other illnesses, I just can't help but wonder if masks have actually hurt more than they've helped.We have a huge group of kids who probably didn't see much outside of the four walls of their home for the better part of 18 months, probably wore masks everywhere, didn't interact with friends or family, may not have spent a lot of time outside, have been hand sanitized into oblivion...and suddenly, they're back in an in-person environment with kids who probably had the opposite experience.

I guess I'm just not surprised to see that we have a bunch of sick people.
Independence H-D
There is a metric crap ton of staff out in csisd. Superintendent knows and supports the fact that he cannot have a mask mandate. He is also getting hammered by staff to do something. So he did. I like it.
Oogway
Wonder what the substitute pool is like this year?
02skiag
AG
Bullpen Chias said:

CSISD will be a small case study (14k participants) on masks. Full year of masks vs potentially a full year without. Will be worth watching how it continues to develop.

That's not at all true as the conditions statewide and the variant type are completely different this year. It would be impossible to account for those differences and compare masks vs no masks.
UmustBKidding
Not great but pool is not likely small because of covid, but because they pay nothing, and kids dont behave. Already know of some that were assigned a class because teacher out for covid that had taken multiple day assignment that cancelled all future days in that class because of behavior. Also some that took other engagement but was assigned to fill in on one of their off periods that said never again will return to that school. So is this because kids got away with murder last year or because this generation has no respect for rules, teachers or even peers.
People trying to fill jobs for teachers are insane, dealing with no notice absences, all teaching staff unhappy they are being asked to fill in for jobs not taken during their conference periods and spending all their off time getting notices x is going to be out, y has cancelled their assignment, and not sleeping trying to figure out a way to make sure a body is in every class. And then they play with numbers so even if class had to be taught by someone skipping lunch, or the janitor, everything is great, we dont have a issue with subs.
George Costanza
Which school(s)?
motherrunnersBCS
All the schools are having sub problems. IL school, private schools, public schools of all grades. No one substitutes for a living, you do it for something extra. Everyone I knew who had substituted in the past was waiting to see what the cases in the schools would be like. No one I know is planning to go back to subbing anytime soon - they have their own family to worry about. Not worth the what, $55 a day?
scs01
SCHTICK00 said:

I'd like to know if these are confirmed positive test results are just absentee by illness. Right now we have flu and stomach bug running strong. I'd like a 10 year comparison of absentees due to illness for the first two weeks before reacting.
I don't know what the district's reporting policy is, but anecdotally we have heard of a lot of kids and teachers with positive COVID tests. Yes, there is other stuff going around too--one of our kiddos came home sick from school the first week, and we figured it might be something else as she'd also been exposed to other non-COVID illnesses recently. Nope, positive COVID test. Scaling up what we've heard and experienced, I see no reason to doubt the district's numbers, except maybe to guess there are probably a lot more asymptomatic cases that haven't been detected since there is no contract tracing, etc.
Bullpen Chias
AG
Are you saying this variant is far more contagious?
02skiag
AG
Bullpen Chias said:

Are you saying this variant is far more contagious?

I wouldn't know, but it's clearly peaking where as the previous ones seemed to peak before the school year.
motherrunnersBCS
Sure it is more contagious. And a Delta infected person is contagious to others long before they even show symptoms like fever or cough.

Very efficient variant. Which is how it spread through the country so quickly.
Donny Hall
I walk my kids to school in the morning. The vast majority of kids at College Hills are masking indoors.

At the beginning of the year the teacher said masking was our choice. We mask our kids. Not a big deal.

We just need to slow the spread as best we can, right? Healthcare can get overwhelmed. Our healthcare system is like McDonalds - they serve billions but the system isn't designed for you to go to a drive through and order 10,000 cheeseburgers.

And yes all of my parables are cheeseburger related.
cavscout96
AG
Donny Hall said:

I walk my kids to school in the morning. The vast majority of kids at College Hills are masking indoors.

At the beginning of the year the teacher said masking was our choice. We mask our kids. Not a big deal.

We just need to slow the spread as best we can, right? Healthcare can get overwhelmed. Our healthcare system is like McDonalds - they serve billions but the system isn't designed for you to go to a drive through and order 10,000 cheeseburgers.

And yes all of my parables are cheeseburger related.
curry97
AG
Oogway said:

Is he required to remain at home for ten days?

Yes he is. He will return the day after Labor Day.
histag10
AG
Question- my kid goes to school in Bryan. Was notified a student in his class tested positive. Said if we decide to quarantine, he would be counted absent for all days (not allowing makeup through schoology like last year).

Is CSISD the same way? Seems like they are almost trying to spread it in BISD with that policy.

** sorry if this doesnt belong here. Didnt want to start a new thread, and it is kind of relevant to this thread.
boredatwork08
AG
histag10 said:

Is CSISD the same way? Seems like they are almost trying to spread it in BISD with that policy.

TAMU is essentially the same. They've abdicated responsibility and told students "tough luck".
Ratsa
histag10 said:

Question- my kid goes to school in Bryan. Was notified a student in his class tested positive. Said if we decide to quarantine, he would be counted absent for all days (not allowing makeup through schoology like last year).

I believe that policy applies statewide and comes from TEA.
histag10
AG
Ratsa said:

histag10 said:

I believe that policy applies statewide and comes from TEA.

That students arent allowed to make up school work if they quarantine because a classmate tested positive? Seems like a dumb policy that TEA would come up with
Ratsa
Sorry, I should have been more clear. My understanding is that TEA is not allowing schools to count kids present when they are home sick or quarantining, even if they log into schoology and do their assignments. Last year there were special rules that allowed schools to count kids present if they worked from home because students were allowed to be virtual. Since all virtual learning is gone this year, that means kids not in school are counted absent.

However, I'm not aware of schools keeping students from making up missed work. I know CSISD is encouraging absent students to make up missed work from home if they are well enough. They will still be counted absent, though.
BCSMom
My 11th at CSISD was out all last week with respiratory junk. Tested twice for covid and both times negative. Talked to her counselor at school and there is no online school this year. If she was up to it she could reach out to her teachers to see what she can do while at home.
TAMU1990
AG
CDC has been wishy washy themselves - Masks work, cloth masks don't work, the blue masks don't work, now it's mask just to mask.

And students never wear the masks correctly (or if at all). It's all theatre.
Stupe
S
histag10 said:

** sorry if this doesnt belong here. Didnt want to start a new thread, and it is kind of relevant to this thread.
"Let's do everything that we can...blah blah blah"

HOWEVER, if you stay home in order to possibly not infect others....well....too bad.

And that is why all of this "mask up so we can beat this thing" is so freaking stupid. They are a bunch of flip flopping hypocrites.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.