B/CS number of cases update? 11-17-20 Staff Edit on OP

1,096,106 Views | 6626 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Nosmo
MBAR
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
saltsman said:

Belton Ag said:

KidDoc said:

ToxicAG said:

Texas A&M COVID dashboard has been updated.

https://www.tamu.edu/coronavirus/dashboard/

Nice to see they are not going to report active cases- just total.

Yeah that first graph is pretty misleading. It says daily new cases, but looks to be total cases added onto daily.
I pretty sure these are not total cases added onto each other daily.

If you look at faculty/staff, for example, you can see that it is not cumulative. Some days report new F/S cases (Aug 12, 17, 21), where as the other days do not.

Also, if you look at the table of number of cumulative positive cases for the week of Aug 16 it shows 358. If you add up the numbers shown for each of the days in that week from the graph, it works out.

I believe this graph is what is says it is... Daily new cases.

Does anyone know what organization is performing the TAMU tests. Perhaps the lab is not sending the data to the county health district? Or perhaps the lab is reporting the students permeant address rather than their school address...

Is is exactly that. If you look below they report the raw test numbers and positive rates per week. The only way to get to those is to have the daily figures in the graph at the top. I'm not sure how anyone could look at that page and think that it was some kind of running total when the text and numbers say otherwise.

As for the county, they said they were going to report A&M numbers but its pretty clear they are not doing that. I have no idea why.
trouble
AG
I don't believe they had the numbers to report until today.

There's no reason to assume they lied about including them.
Expert Analysis
AG
MBAR said:

You guys can say what you want, but I am 99% sure that if the cases stay above 100 per day we're going to go online only.

On a related note, I taught my first in person lab of the semester today. Campus seemed very empty - more like the summer rather than early fall semester - and I only had 3 people show up in person. The others were on Zoom.
If hardly anyone is going to classes in person, what good is going to online only going to do? I doubt on campus interaction is where it will spread, its college life activities off campus where it will spread. Online only will give students more free time...
Expert Analysis
AG
The TAMU portal data are horrible. What do the TAMU numbers on the portal even mean. Self reported??? Everyone at TAMU is required to report if they have a positive test. There is no spot on the reporting form for where the test was conducted. If I get tested at my doctor is that getting lumped into TAMU self reported daily numbers and Brazos county numbers? TAMU has all the testing performed on campus, they should include all that information directly, then add in the numbers from outside testing.
It looks like the data in the second chart and table are directly reported data. The weekly data chart with the percent positive doesn't have the same total, it's higher, as the self reported chart. Why report this data on a weekly basis? TAMU should provide it on a daily basis to better match Brazos County. That's the data I'd like to see. Then you can combine TAMU numbers with the county numbers. TAMU can keep a separate count of all reported cases that combine their testing with outside testing of students/faculty/staff, like they did in the self reported chart.
isitjustme
AG
Since it is really unknown what is in the TAMU self-reporting case numbers and how they interact with Brazos county numbers, I suggest a separate topic thread for that data set, call it "A&M Covid cases - like a box of chocolate." Then we can get back to BCS cases on this thread.
AggieBaseball06
AG
Expert Analysis said:

MBAR said:

You guys can say what you want, but I am 99% sure that if the cases stay above 100 per day we're going to go online only.

On a related note, I taught my first in person lab of the semester today. Campus seemed very empty - more like the summer rather than early fall semester - and I only had 3 people show up in person. The others were on Zoom.
If hardly anyone is going to classes in person, what good is going to online only going to do? I doubt on campus interaction is where it will spread, its college life activities off campus where it will spread. Online only will give students more free time...

I was listening to some A&M students talk yesterday about how they were hoping everything got moved online so they could all hang out and "attend" their classes together by the pool every day.

Moving online will help some faculty avoid this but it's not going to do anything for student case counts.
cavscout96
AG
student case counts are, largely irrelevant. It's about availability of resources. Case counts, in and of themselves, are pretty worthless.
AgCPA
AG
Every student I have spoken with that has been to an in person class at tamu indicated that the profs have chosen to go all on line from that point forward. Dont think they will need to make a call. We will be all on line shortly regardless. Tenure must be great... hopefully it will be a covid casualty.
cavscout96
AG
i'd like to hear more on this. I'm surprised that a prof can arbitrarily cancel and in-person session.
gigem92
AG
Today's numbers are out:

48 daily cases

Confirmed COVID-19 Cases in Brazos County
Total number of cases: 4,481
Recovered*: 4,054
Active cases**: 374
% of confirmed daily cases age 18-24 years: 77%
Number of current hospitalizations: 8
Daily number discharged from hospital: 2
Total Brazos County Hospital Occupancy (as of 8.25.20)***
Total Bed Occupancy: 60%
Total ICU Bed Occupancy: 46%
Total number of deaths: 53
Total number of COVID-19 tests performed: 41,996

http://www.brazoshealth.org/sites/default/files/inline-files/8.26.20.pdf
lockett93
AG
Spreadsheet updated

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/11DhOiIPQwUQ5teJsvOV_JYp-zDkE4Eq5bQ91fud7y9Q

Rapier108
48 New Cases
0 New Deaths
2391 New Tests
8 in the Hospital
60% Total Hospital Occupancy (-7%) ICU Occupancy 46% (No Change)

77801 +0
77802 +2
78803 +7
77807 +0
77808 +1
77840 +32
77845 +6

This may be my final post on this thread. I really don't feel like walking the ultra fine line anymore.
"If you will not fight for right when you can easily win without blood shed; if you will not fight when your victory is sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may even be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves." - Sir Winston Churchill
cavscout96
AG
a three day vacation isn't so bad, is it?
88planoAg
AG
Is any demographic data available regarding who is hospitalized?
trouble
AG
No, they aren't releasing that.
cavscout96
AG
because...... why?
Koldus131
AG
77840 lol (Sorority house zip code for those who don't know)
BQ_90
AG
cavscout96 said:

because...... why?
because I said so /brazos county
jeffk
AG
FERPA, HIPPA, take your pick.
cavscout96
AG
jeffk said:

neither apply to demographic data that does not personally identify an individual.
jeffk
AG
That hasn't yet stopped them.
cavscout96
AG
jeffk said:

That hasn't yet stopped them.
unfortunately....
88planoAg
AG
Too bad, that would go a long way (maybe) to countering the fear that the 400 (student) number is generating among some.
Oogway
The student I spoke with said that his professor stated that as long as at least ONE person attended F2F that he would be in the classroom F2F to teach. Another anecdotal account I heard from a neighbor was that his classroom attendance was dropping with each meeting. It could be that if students were able to get online and see that the system didn't completely crash then they chose subsequently to attend via online.

It was my understanding that each and every student has the right to make the choice each class period as to whether to attend in person or online. If some students are seeing others out partying then maybe they, themselves are choosing to remain online or are now doing so. It can be for a variety of reasons without it being fear for themselves. Many students travel to see family or hunt on family land in the fall and while some activities are outdoors, I don't blame a student for a little caution in order to give Mom and Dad or Grandpa and Grandma some protection. It doesn't have to be doom and gloom, the student community is large and they all do different things in different ways.

The decision for online only campus wide, though, has to come from the Provost, correct?
Oogway
cavscout96 said:

jeffk said:

neither apply to demographic data that does not personally identify an individual.
Well HIPPA for sure doesn't because it applies to a genus of crustaceans.

FlyRod
Yes while attention is on the partiers, a LOT of students are just trying to be students as best they can and be as careful as they can. And yes, the decision to go online has to come from the Provost...its implied in her regular emails at least.
Rockdoc
AG
Rapier108 said:

48 New Cases
0 New Deaths
2391 New Tests
8 in the Hospital
60% Total Hospital Occupancy (-7%) ICU Occupancy 46% (No Change)

77801 +0
77802 +2
78803 +7
77807 +0
77808 +1
77840 +32
77845 +6

This may be my final post on this thread. I really don't feel like walking the ultra fine line anymore.

I don't blame you at all. It's pretty obvious.
jeffk
AG
What fine line?
Post removed:
by user
cavscout96
AG
Oogway said:

The student I spoke with said that his professor stated that as long as at least ONE person attended F2F that he would be in the classroom F2F to teach. Another anecdotal account I heard from a neighbor was that his classroom attendance was dropping with each meeting. It could be that if students were able to get online and see that the system didn't completely crash then they chose subsequently to attend via online.

It was my understanding that each and every student has the right to make the choice each class period as to whether to attend in person or online. If some students are seeing others out partying then maybe they, themselves are choosing to remain online or are now doing so. It can be for a variety of reasons without it being fear for themselves. Many students travel to see family or hunt on family land in the fall and while some activities are outdoors, I don't blame a student for a little caution in order to give Mom and Dad or Grandpa and Grandma some protection. It doesn't have to be doom and gloom, the student community is large and they all do different things in different ways.

The decision for online only campus wide, though, has to come from the Provost, correct?
that's what I would have thought.
jeffk
AG
Slocum on a mobile said:

jeffk said:

What fine line?

You can't call out the Coronabros for their over the top fearmongering.

Oh, I thought he was talking about some data related issue. Not calling names seems like a pretty easy line to walk.
trouble
AG
jeffk said:

HIPAA
isitjustme
AG
Active case percentage in Brazos County up to 0.16%.

And naming a group of people with a certain point of view or type of behavior shouldn't be a negative thing, and if they agree with there own views, why would it be considered derogatory. We use the terms liberal, conservative, Democrats, Republicans to describe groups of people with certain views. So why not coronabros or Karens? I'm just asking, not calling anyone that name.
88planoAg
AG
agrab86 said:

Active case percentage in Brazos County up to 0.16%.

And naming a group of people with a certain point of view or type of behavior shouldn't be a negative thing, and if they agree with there own views, why would it be considered derogatory. We use the terms liberal, conservative, Democrats, Republicans to describe groups of people with certain views. So why not coronabros or Karens? I'm just asking, not calling anyone that name.
The accurate comparison would be Libtards, Drumph or Trumpster. That would get closer to coronabros or Karens.
trouble
AG
[Way too big. -Staff]
First Page Last Page
Page 79 of 190

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.