B/CS number of cases update? 11-17-20 Staff Edit on OP

1,095,910 Views | 6626 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Nosmo
aggielawyer00
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
An email from the court to attorneys with upcoming court settings.
MiMi
S
Quote:

Quote:

AggiePhil said:
One of the Brazos County District Courts has now shut down due to COVID-19 exposure. Not good!
Source?
Brazos County preparing to resume jury trials
Rapier108
68 New Cases
41 New Tests
0 New Deaths
29 In the Hospital (+4, -2)

77801 +3
77802 +5
77803 +5
77807 +1
77808 +3
77840 +30
77845 +21

Looks like most cases are still in the under 30 crowd.

Not sure about changes in cluster/travel/community as again the graph didn't change in the English one, but the Spanish one did. Travel looks to have gone up, a pretty big jump and the first big change in a while.

http://brazoshealth.org/sites/default/files/inline-files/6.19.20.pdf
"If you will not fight for right when you can easily win without blood shed; if you will not fight when your victory is sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may even be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves." - Sir Winston Churchill
lockett93
AG
Spreadsheet updated.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/11DhOiIPQwUQ5teJsvOV_JYp-zDkE4Eq5bQ91fud7y9Q/
Rapier108
lockett93 said:

Spreadsheet updated.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/11DhOiIPQwUQ5teJsvOV_JYp-zDkE4Eq5bQ91fud7y9Q/
Looks pretty much like what I was expecting.

The 30 new travel cases are interesting. Gotta wonder where those came from, but I'd have to guess it is from students going to places like the rivers for tubing.
"If you will not fight for right when you can easily win without blood shed; if you will not fight when your victory is sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may even be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves." - Sir Winston Churchill
AggiePhil
AG
https://www.facebook.com/1907704179509819/posts/2689831664630396/?d=n
lockett93
AG
I know of some counselors and campers from pine cove that have tested positive. That would be travel related.

Also, if the test is administered in another county, is the test recorded among our tests? We know the positive case is supposed to be by county of residence.

I'm surprised at the number of young people being tested if prior information was that most young people are asymptomatic. If asymptomatic and being tested I would assume that's a cluster related test... but BCHD would never tell!
asoiaf
Rapier108 said:

68 New Cases
41 New Tests
0 New Deaths
29 In the Hospital (+4, -2)

77801 +3
77802 +5
77803 +5
77807 +1
77808 +3
77840 +30
77845 +21

Looks like most cases are still in the under 30 crowd.

Not sure about changes in cluster/travel/community as again the graph didn't change in the English one, but the Spanish one did. Travel looks to have gone up, a pretty big jump and the first big change in a while.

http://brazoshealth.org/sites/default/files/inline-files/6.19.20.pdf
How on earth are there 68 new cases and 41 tests?

Also, how on earth are they saying 41 test in all of Brazos county? That's absurd

Caprock says on FB that they are swabbing 50+ a day at each location.

My family member says they are swabbing 30+ a day from one individual Dr.

And how do you shoot up to 25% positivity rate?
I guess it will get high when 165% of the tests that are performed are positive
Rapier108
lockett93 said:

I know of some counselors and campers from pine cove that have tested positive. That would be travel related.

Also, if the test is administered in another county, is the test recorded among our tests? We know the positive case is supposed to be by county of residence.

I'm surprised at the number of young people being tested if prior information was that most young people are asymptomatic. If asymptomatic and being tested I would assume that's a cluster related test... but BCHD would never tell!
From what I've heard, they're testing anyone who have had contact with a confirmed case, someone who was tested after showing symptoms. A lot of the people being tested due to contact are coming back positive, but either asymptomatic or very mild cases. This has resulted in multiple cases where residences with 4, 5, 6+ roommates all testing positive for it, but none being sick. Testing is readily available in Brazos County. All of the hospitals and their affiliated clinics can usually test someone same day or next day at the latest. Same for most of the urgent care places. If someone has had contact with a known case, that is all it takes to get in to get tested.

Since people under 30 are at extremely low risk of serious illness, unless they have underlying health issues which will cause a problem regardless of age, it is good that it is burning its way through that demographic right now, before all the students come back. If we want the pandemic to end, then herd immunity is the only true solution since there is no guarantee a worthwhile vaccine will ever be developed, or if it is, it could be a year or two away. The doomers don't realize that locking everyone up again will not stop this virus. All it will do is create a slow burn, and the virus will just be waiting to reappear with a vengeance. The damage a long term lock down would cause would be far worse than the virus ever could be. There are no good solutions, only the least bad one, and that is to just get it over with, while doing the best possible to protect the most vulnerable part of the population.
trouble
AG
They report tests as they are done and reported to them not the same day they get results from those tests.
Rapier108
Quote:

How on earth are there 68 new cases and 41 tests?

Also, how on earth are they saying 41 test in all of Brazos county? That's absurd
Number of tests is just what is reported to the BCHD in the last 24 hours. This is why there are often 0 new tests on Sunday and sometimes Monday. Then there is a big jump in tests when the numbers play catch up.

Some of the positive results could be from tests done more than a week ago. Sullivan said that some test results are still taking more than a week to get back; sometimes almost two weeks. These are ones processed at the state labs, where private labs that many doctor and urgent care offices are using. Some hospitals (not sure if any of the ones in Brazos County) do their own tests on site and usually take a day or two, depending on the backlog.
BlueMiles
AG
According to the article below, the Health District told Blue Baker (South CS) they did not need to close when an employee tested positive. They closed anyway to let the other employees get tested.

https://www.kbtx.com/2020/06/16/local-businesses-working-with-health-district-after-employees-test-positive-for-covid-19/
deh40
AG
I'm guessing Discount Tire in a South College Station had an issue. They were closed with a sign about cleaning for customer safety.
MiMi
S
Quote:

I'm guessing Discount Tire in a South College Station had an issue. They were closed with a sign about cleaning for customer safety.
Yes. A recent post on Nextdoor said that 2 of the 3 locations are closed until further notice due to an employee testing positive. Only the Texas Ave location is open.
RGRAg1/75
AG
MiMi said:

Quote:

Yes. A recent post on Nextdoor said that 2 of the 3 locations are closed until further notice due to an employee testing positive. Only the Texas Ave location is open.

Can confirm. Went to all 3 today.
happyinBCS
KBTX story just said 42 COVID patients at CHI I thought it was 27 at all the hospitals
FlyRod
I think the 27 are local and the rest from surrounding rural areas? That's a big increase regardless.
trouble
AG
It's 27 Brazos county patients.
Rapier108
FlyRod said:

I think the 27 are local and the rest from surrounding rural areas? That's a big increase regardless.
In Monday it was only 37 total (Brazos County + surrounding counties) so it has only increased by 5 as of today if the total is now 42.
FlyRod
What ICU capacity are we at presently?
trouble
AG
75% is what I've heard. Not all covid patients though.

I will say, as a retired critical care RN, having a full ICU isn't that unusual. Census changes daily and throughout each day.
Fitch
AG
Yeah the ICU will typically operate close to full. They don't overbuild that space intentionally. The challenge with COVID is demand can spike suddenly while you still have people who need ICU for other reasons. Galveston has hit 100% ICU a few days here in the last few. Some hospitals have surge capacity they can grow into.
MBAR
AG
Yeah plus people with COVID tend to have long residence times in the hospital/ICU. What worries me is not our status today, but the fact that we have 2-3 weeks worth of cases in the pipeline that aren't realized yet. The lag time with this makes it sketchy.
Bunk Moreland
MBAR said:

Yeah plus people with COVID tend to have long residence times in the hospital/ICU. What worries me is not our status today, but the fact that we have 2-3 weeks worth of cases in the pipeline that aren't realized yet. The lag time with this makes it sketchy.

Look at the age groups of positives cases. Vulnerable age groups so far are not testing positive in any real numbers during this uptick. At least not yet.
Mumbo Jimbo
Because they take this seriously and the young people do not.

Wear your masks!
Rapier108
MBAR said:

Average ICU stay has been 5-7 days for most CV patients. Some people are only in the hospital for a day or two. Also, not all CV patients are in ICU. Some only require oxygen therapy for a few days and are not put into ICU.

Yes, there are some cases around the country that have been over 30 days (we had two here, both people in very high risk categories), but it is not common.
Bunk Moreland
Tons of young people getting it and getting over it while vulnerable age groups don't is a GOOD thing. It'll reduce rate of spread down the road.
trouble
AG
ColonelCoinCollector said:

Wear your masks!

They also have the luxury of being able to stay home and many young people have to work. A good number of those in jobs that can't be done remotely.
Rapier108

Wear your masks!
You'd be surprised how many older people do not wear masks when out in public. They also don't go out in public as much as younger people, be it for work (many are retired), grocery store, or even to socialize. They often gather at homes rather than going to public places with large groups.

Another reason we're seeing fewer older people being sickened is the effective lock down of nursing and retirement homes. That is where perhaps as many as 60% of deaths have come from, perhaps even more if certain states (*cough, cough* New York *cough, cough*) reported accurate numbers.
MBAR
AG
trouble said:

Wear your masks!

They also have the luxury of being able to stay home and many young people have to work. A good number of those in jobs that can't be done remotely.
Yes, this is something that was never talked about in reference to the hispanic numbers in here last month either. Its not parties but the fact that a lot of these demographics make up those who have to work.

Still, hope everyone is wearing their masks and being as safe as possible. Not the end of the world or anything, but lets try to keep this manageable.
deh40
AG
I saw an old lady at the grocery store today. When I first saw her by the eggs, she had on a mask and gloves. By the time I saw her at the produce, her gloves were in the cart and her mask was pulled down under her chin.

FlyRod
https://www.kbtx.com/2020/06/20/exclusive-new-data-details-growing-capacity-concerns-for-area-hospitals/
tb9665
I have not been out of town in several months. I went to Houston and IKEA today. I would estimate about 90 percent or all people there had masks on at IKEA and every where we went. My son made a comment that he felt safer where we went to Houston then here. This was even before Houston made masks mandatory for the next 8 days today, I went to Kroger's and Walmart upon returning and I would say only employees and about 20 percent had masks. No wonder why BCS is starting to have an increase in cases. Just wait until August and students from all major cities start to show up,.
australopithecus robustus
Hard to understand why this is an issue. They've had months to prepare. Everything was locked down for 45 days to prepare.
ToxicAG
According to the New York Times, College Station has the 12th highest rate of COVID cases in the US. Despite what the Governor has stated, it is all about local capacity. Houston is also growing albeit at a slower rate, but still enough to be of a concern. Interesting to see what all the people say voicing that we need herd immunity and it's ok to see an increase in cases. At this rate local hospitals will be full soon. So, where do the patients go - Houston which is seeing a steady increase or Waco - rated as 4th highest COVID rate in the nation.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/04/23/upshot/five-ways-to-monitor-coronavirus-outbreak-us.html

First Page Last Page
Page 36 of 190

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.