B/CS number of cases update? 11-17-20 Staff Edit on OP

1,095,782 Views | 6626 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Nosmo
cavscout96
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
No doubt
cavscout96
AG
No worries. Words mean things. As we've seen, failure to articulate clearly leads to confusion, panic, and frustration.

Rapier108
4 cases, no new deaths, 1 person out of the hospital.

2 cases in 77803, one each in 77840 and 77845.

Take out the Waterford from 77845, and 77803 would be right up there at the top of the list. I'm guessing it is connected to the Sanderson Farms cluster.

http://www.brazoshealth.org/sites/default/files/inline-files/4.30.20.pdf
"If you will not fight for right when you can easily win without blood shed; if you will not fight when your victory is sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may even be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves." - Sir Winston Churchill
KidDoc
AG
Open Lick Creek dangit!
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
nthomas99
AG
KidDoc said:

Open Lick Creek dangit!
Opens Monday!

But they're not opening anything else, so it'll probably be a zoo
H2SAag
AG
All parks should be open
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Rapier108
Quote:

Exactly what I'd expect from the City of CS. Surprised they opened anything at all with Mayor Doom at the helm.
"If you will not fight for right when you can easily win without blood shed; if you will not fight when your victory is sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may even be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves." - Sir Winston Churchill
isitjustme
AG
Rapier108 said:

Quote:

Exactly what I'd expect from the City of CS. Surprised they opened anything at all with Mayor Doom at the helm.
I wonder if revenue is so down that they don't want the maintenance/upkeep cost that comes with opening all the park facilities. And some of the facilities are conducive to sports with more than 4 participants (soccer, baseball, basketball, etc.), and that would take staff/CSPD time and effort to enforce.

It would make sense to open many/all parks - at least it would give patrons more space to distance from each other.
benchmark
AG
Rapier108 said:

Bwahahahaha
benchmark
AG
So, 15 new cases in 3 days ... you'd think our 'leaders' would provide a little more background data other than vague zip codes. Good grief.
isitjustme
AG
benchmark said:

So, 15 new cases in 3 days ... you'd think our 'leaders' would provide a little more background data other than vague zip codes. Good grief.
More context is good. One piece of context is that the positive-rate remains at just under 5.5%, so no explosion in incidence.
KidDoc
AG
nthomas99 said:

KidDoc said:

Open Lick Creek dangit!
Opens Monday!

Figures it reopens when I go back to clinic haha

But they're not opening anything else, so it'll probably be a zoo
isitjustme
AG
lost my dog said:

agrab86 said:

At some churches it can be done more easily than at others. And again, if the churches needed to add another service or two to accommodate, then I'm sure most would be happy to. These sanctuaries have a set amount of space, so no need to make them reconfigure pews or chairs or anything, since that's likely unconstitutional.

To distance, one family unit at the end of one pew, another at the opposite end of the next, and so forth. You may not get the whole 6' at some churches, so live with 5' or spread them further. Point is, reconfiguring can be done with seating patterns. And I know a lot of churches already offer many more than one or two services, and not all of these are bursting at the seam. The church will need to convince their congregants to spread out not only during services, but among services as well. Soon we'll be back to normal anyway, i.e., less than 3 months.
I think you and I are thinking about churches with very different physical layouts, and very different numbers of congregants and services. Given the number of people who attend a place like St. Joseph's and the size of that church, you would be running masses all day.

(Plus you wouldn't be able to seat people in every row - you'd have to leave empty rows between them.)

I am sure that there are smaller churches around here where your idea would work. But I think most people would not be able to take advantage of it.
https://www.kbtx.com/content/news/Some-Catholic-churches-to-resume-public-mass-on-Sunday-570099401.html

See the link. I guess both St. Joseph's and St. Mary's are going to give mass a try this weekend. Pretty much the same guidelines I suggested weeks ago.
Rapier108
Washington County has become a perfect example of how a single cluster can completely throw off a county's numbers.

Quote:

BRENHAM, Tex. (KBTX) - 101 of Washington County's 146 total confirmed COVID-19 cases are tied to residents and staff at Brenham Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, according to officials.

13 of the county's 15 virus-related deaths are also tied to BNRC.
https://www.kbtx.com/content/news/Nearly-70-of-Washington-County-COVID-19-cases-tied-to-one-facility-570088091.html

This is why total number of cases by itself is an almost meaningless statistic. The doomers look at Washington County and go "OMG! So many cases! Lock this county down until July!"

The odds are that number of 101 will go higher. How much remains to be seen.
FamousAgg
It also shows how easily a tight knit group like say a workplace can be overwhelmed by the virus quickly. All it takes is one person to get things going.

Im not anti-opening, but everyone needs to maintain distancing and hygiene.
Rapier108
A nursing home is a lot different than a public business.

We cannot stay shut down until June, July, September, or even next July like some want. There won't be a city, county, state, or country left.
lost my dog
agrab86 said:

lost my dog said:

agrab86 said:

At some churches it can be done more easily than at others. And again, if the churches needed to add another service or two to accommodate, then I'm sure most would be happy to. These sanctuaries have a set amount of space, so no need to make them reconfigure pews or chairs or anything, since that's likely unconstitutional.

To distance, one family unit at the end of one pew, another at the opposite end of the next, and so forth. You may not get the whole 6' at some churches, so live with 5' or spread them further. Point is, reconfiguring can be done with seating patterns. And I know a lot of churches already offer many more than one or two services, and not all of these are bursting at the seam. The church will need to convince their congregants to spread out not only during services, but among services as well. Soon we'll be back to normal anyway, i.e., less than 3 months.
I think you and I are thinking about churches with very different physical layouts, and very different numbers of congregants and services. Given the number of people who attend a place like St. Joseph's and the size of that church, you would be running masses all day.

(Plus you wouldn't be able to seat people in every row - you'd have to leave empty rows between them.)

I am sure that there are smaller churches around here where your idea would work. But I think most people would not be able to take advantage of it.
https://www.kbtx.com/content/news/Some-Catholic-churches-to-resume-public-mass-on-Sunday-570099401.html

See the link. I guess both St. Joseph's and St. Mary's are going to give mass a try this weekend. Pretty much the same guidelines I suggested weeks ago.
Ok, I don't want to be nitpicky here, but

1) the article says masses may resume next Tuesday. I realize when you linked to it, the headline may have said next Sunday. This is not your mistake, it's KBTX's. I only point this out so people don't go to Catholic church this weekend and expect it to be open

2) I still think you don't know how crowded St Mary's and St. Joseph's are during normal times. St. Mary's will be less crowded now that the students have left, so things may be better than a worst case scenario. St. Mary's has said that they will limit the number of people at a mass to 200, and people will have to register ahead of time for attendance (kind of like pulling tickets for Kyle field?) I think a typical weekend mass has at least around 600, and there are at least 4 masses per weekend during term time. You can do the math. I'm glad that they will continue to stream mass for those who choose not to brave the crowd.

But yes, I'm glad to see this movement back towards normal

isitjustme
AG
lost my dog said:

agrab86 said:

lost my dog said:

agrab86 said:

Ok, I don't want to be nitpicky here, but

1) the article says masses may resume next Tuesday. I realize when you linked to it, the headline may have said next Sunday. This is not your mistake, it's KBTX's. I only point this out so people don't go to Catholic church this weekend and expect it to be open

2) I still think you don't know how crowded St Mary's and St. Joseph's are during normal times. St. Mary's will be less crowded now that the students have left, so things may be better than a worst case scenario. St. Mary's has said that they will limit the number of people at a mass to 200, and people will have to register ahead of time for attendance (kind of like pulling tickets for Kyle field?) I think a typical weekend mass has at least around 600, and there are at least 4 masses per weekend during term time. You can do the math. I'm glad that they will continue to stream mass for those who choose not to brave the crowd.

But yes, I'm glad to see this movement back towards normal

1) on behalf of all the local Catholics (I'm not one), thanks for the clarification. The url still says Sunday, but the title of the article now says Tuesday. Should've known better than to trust the media without looking further, so that is on me.

2) I know St. Mary's and St. Joseph's both get pretty crowded b/c I have a lot of Catholic friends. But it's not me saying it's time to start back (I said it 3 weeks ago), it's the Bishop, and I'm in no position to contradict the Bishop. I was merely pointing out that his guidelines are quite similar to the ones I laid out. And I agree that the loss of student count will likely slash the number of attendees from 600/mass at St. Mary's, but I don't know if all the way to 200/mass. Don't know St. Joseph's student attendee count, so they may actually have a more difficult time meeting the guidelines.

I'm glad as well that the Austin Diocese has made this movement. I hope my church follows suit soon.
Rapier108
Since I was in timeout most of the day, I'll post this now.

5 new cases today.
No deaths
Down to 5 in the hospital, was 7 yesterday.

77801 +1
77830 +1
77807 +1
77845 +2

I'd say unless we see a major jump in hospitalizations, we're probably not seeing spread in a nursing home or retirement community. Hopefully this remains the case and all the Broadcastify calls a few days ago were just nothing but an unusual happenstance.
BNM20
Which feed do you listen to on broadcastify?
Tailgate88
AG
BNM20 said:

Which feed do you listen to on broadcastify?

Same question. I thought they had gone digital and were not available anymore.
trouble
AG
6 new cases.
No new deaths.
24 new recoveries.
nthomas99
AG
trouble said:

6 new cases.
No new deaths.
24 new recoveries.

And hospitalizations down to 4 (2 discharges, 1 new admittance).
Z3phyr
Great news on discharges from hospital and haven't had a death since April 18th
trouble
AG
I was waiting to see if they had screwed that part up. These morning graphics have had so many mistakes.
nthomas99
AG
Z3phyr said:

Great news on discharges from hospital and haven't had a death since April 18th

It is really great news. I wish a public official would act like there's hope and say as much.

Is there a public data source with deaths per day in Brazos county? I'm curious where we're at versus an average April/May.
Rapier108
https://www.broadcastify.com/listen/ctid/2543

The two at the top of the list. Sometimes the police will go to a "tac" channel which I'm guess is either encrypted or simply not covered by the feed so you can't hear it. Also, it seems that at times the feeds drop out. They show to still be playing, but nothing is heard. Load it on another browser and it works fine, for a while.

And I will say this, be careful of what you post that you hear on it. Never give out names, addresses, business names, or any other identifying details of people/places. If the police are doing something, don't post specifics. It will save you a lot of grief because not only would your posts likely get deleted, bu there are some here who go ballistic when people have done that in the past. I was even accused of putting police lives in danger, which while BS, is not an argument you want to get into because highly likely you will lose.
isitjustme
AG
Seems like testing has picked up a bit and the positive rate is still about 5.5%. But fewer hospitalizations and more recoveries is a good sign. Plus, only 44 in the 70+ age range, and that number was 40 2 weeks ago, so expecting continued low hospitalizations. I'd like to see the positive rate come down, but Brazos County infection rate is still less than 0.1%.
MiMi
S
Today's report lists 0 new cases, BUT there were no new test results reported either. The report is identical to yesterday's report.

http://www.brazoshealth.org/sites/default/files/inline-files/5.3.20.pdf
trouble
AG
Also no new deaths, hospitalizations, or discharges.
Rapier108
If we see a large number tomorrow, it would not be a surprise since it seems like today's result is because they simply didn't receive any test results. Hard to believe there were zero tests outstanding.
EBrazosAg
AG
True. However I think most local test are being done at VMDL not out of town and the turn is only 2-4 hr there once they get the sample. I don't know if they are working on weekends however.
isitjustme
AG
Today is the first Sunday that there were no new numbers reported since this began. Last Saturday was the only Saturday where no new numbers were reported. And some Saturday and Sunday numbers have been huge. I'm guessing they didn't receive any results yesterday afternoon or overnight in a one-time anomaly.
Rapier108
1 new case, 77845 zip code
7 new tests
1 more out of the hospital

http://brazoshealth.org/sites/default/files/inline-files/5.4.30.pdf
MiMi
S
Quote:

7 new tests
Wow, it had seemed testing had increased recently. I wonder if the reason for so few tests is because of the weekend or because there haven't been many that are sick enough to qualify to be tested?
First Page Last Page
Page 11 of 190

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.