B/CS number of cases update? 11-17-20 Staff Edit on OP

1,096,188 Views | 6626 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Nosmo
AgDotCom
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I had three close relatives living at either The Waterford or one / both of the other facilities on Rock Prairie Rd. within the past 4 years, all of whom I visited multiple days per week. I'm fairly familiar with these places, after the first 2 months of my daily routine they became like 2nd homes to me, and I got to know many of the other residents since I usually visited at lunch or dinner times.

After about two years of direct observation at these facilities, I have difficulty resolving in my mind how many of the recently reported deaths are directly related to C19....some may have been related, some maybe not. For instance, the third reported C19 death in the county came about 5-6 days after the patient "had fallen and hit her head". I got to know about 2-3 dozen residents fairly well during my experience, some didn't last long after a fall. And I'd have good visits with others who never fell and appeared reasonably healthy but when I showed up the next day they were gone, for whatever reason. It's tough to lose acquaintances like them, and that often.

The Waterford has a memory care unit, and my observation was many residents in this unit, or any similar unit, don't live long due simply to their physical condition and not by any fault of the facility. The unit has restricted access, a good staff and well appointed quarters, and while not confining you still have residents living in a smallish area.

Two of my relatives passed over the last 36 months, one in their mid 70s, the other late 80s. One was diagnosed with Alzheimers and one with dementia. The former died of cancer, the latter got sick when the flu swept through one of the facilities, never recovered from symptoms, but the death certificate stated the cause of death was Alzheimers. The third relative is mid 90s, mind is sharp and physically in good shape though in a wheelchair.

cavscout96
AG
Yep
Tailgate88
AG
Today's numbers still show 94 - same as yesterday. So apparently no new cases reported in the past day?

http://www.brazoshealth.org/sites/default/files/inline-files/4.6.20.docx.pdf
Rapier108
Tailgate88 said:

Today's numbers still show 94 - same as yesterday. So apparently no new cases reported in the past day?

http://www.brazoshealth.org/sites/default/files/inline-files/4.6.20.docx.pdf
Correct, but expect more in the next few days. Test results run around 3 days right now in Texas. There will likely be a big jump middle to late in the week.
"If you will not fight for right when you can easily win without blood shed; if you will not fight when your victory is sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may even be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves." - Sir Winston Churchill
happyinBCS
I agree completely with your thoughts. This whole situation nationwide and worldwide has so many unanswered questions I feel for everyone that has the virus but I think hundreds of thousands more have had it and never knew it TESTING is the key especially the antibody test
BlueMiles
AG
It's a little thing, but it's "HIPAA," and not "HIPPA."
Rapier108
From the press conference:

Nice to see that that Dr. Seth Sullivan didn't nuke the suggestion of using Hydroxychloroquine, but he also had to give the usual bureaucratic comment of saying we don't know if any of these drug work.

Statistics havne't changed from the report earlier today.

There are several clusters seen in Brazos County. He didn't say where (one is obviously The Waterford), but I can think of at least 3 others based on the number of EMS calls for people with "respiratory problems/difficulty breathing" which also present with additional symptoms. When the same street or location gets multiple calls like this over the course of a few days, it likely means a cluster.

Once again predicting a major surge in cases. I swear, they act like we're going to be NYC.
"If you will not fight for right when you can easily win without blood shed; if you will not fight when your victory is sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may even be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves." - Sir Winston Churchill
Rapier108
Karl Mooney just said for people not to go to grocery stores per CDC guidelines unless it's "absolutely necessary."

Nice way to create yet another panic run on grocery stores. I hate to tell Mooney, but people have to eat and get medication, be it OTC or prescription. Without a doubt some will think they're planning to close grocery stores.

A few weeks ago he wanted so bad to do a full on lock down, or even a "Wuhan Style Lock Down" but thankfully Governor Abbott put a stop to that insanity. He is fully invested in DOOM!

I suspect he'll extended the stay home order through May as soon as April 30th rolls around.

And they're pushing for not using cash anymore, even after this is all over with.
02skiag
AG
Earlier in the update they spent a couple minutes defining what a cluster is and then gave zero local information. He said that they investigate every one. Later someone asks why our infection rate is so high and the guy says they don't know. He suggests that maybe it's because folks here come from many different places since it's a college town. I'm sorry, but give us real information, not this bull crap. You are forcing us into outrages restriction, you need to make it very clear exactly what we are facing.

They refuse to admit that a large amount is solely from the nursing home. They want everyone to stay panicked.

Edit. If it is only 4 associated with the nursing home then that would be even more useful information. Right now I'm assuming it significantly more. I might be more cautious if I knew most cases were unrelated.
Rapier108
Quote:

They want everyone to stay panicked.
It really does seem that way, be it local governments, some state governments, and clearly there are people in D.C. who want to use the virus for their own political agenda.
happyinBCS
Simply unbelievable these people have no concept of earning money this will be a multi year recovery for this community if not a decade to recover
isitjustme
AG
happyinBCS said:

Simply unbelievable these people have no concept of earning money this will be a multi year recovery for this community if not a decade to recover
You are right. But to expand, it will be a multi year recovery for many, many communities in almost every state. Hopefully it'll be a 1-2 year rebuild instead of a 3-5 year one.
AgGunNut
AG
Not necessarily disagreeing with you about your points, but both Bryan and College Station mayors have said they are not extending their SIP orders past their expiration of 4/7/20 since the governor has already done so with his. Brazos County Judge has extended theirs until 4/30/20.
BlueMiles
AG
Rapier108 said:

It really does seem that way, be it local governments, some state governments, and clearly there are people in D.C. who want to use the virus for their own political agenda.

It might not have started out as a bio-weapon, but it's turning into one.
Rapier108
AgGunNut said:

Not necessarily disagreeing with you about your points, but both Bryan and College Station mayors have said they are not extending their SIP orders past their expiration of 4/7/20 since the governor has already done so with his. Brazos County Judge has extended theirs until 4/30/20.
But unless Abbott extends it beyond 4-30, they are free to do what they want, and right now, there is little doubt they will do it.
saltydog13
AG
I thought the Bryan mayor came out and said they're just following whatever the state does and aren't extending the local shelter in place to avoid confusion
oklaunion
Earlier in the update they spent a couple minutes defining what a cluster is and then gave zero local information. He said that they investigate every one. Later someone asks why our infection rate is so high and the guy says they don't know. He suggests that maybe it's because folks here come from many different places since it's a college town. I'm sorry, but give us real information, not this bull crap. You are forcing us into outrages restriction, you need to make it very clear exactly what we are facing.

I don't think they really know why it is higher when some other college towns aren't as bad but I don't think it is bull crap if they can't tell you why.
What I noticed weekend before last (starting 9 days ago), after the stay in place was instituted, was that one apartment complex I jog by out around Wellborn had close to twice as many cars parked as the previous 2 weeks. It had been dead up to that weekend. This was early in the morning so I figure they are staying at those apts. Were they kids that got tired of being at home, wherever that is? Were they exposed at home and bring it back to CS? I don't think there is anyway to know without tracking every person's movement and we aren't about that in this country.
I did notice this morning that there weren't near as many cars parked there. Did they go back home? Go another place to party? Time may tell.
nthomas99
AG
oklaunion said:

I don't think they really know why it is higher when some other college towns aren't as bad but I don't think it is bull crap if they can't tell you why.
What I noticed weekend before last (starting 9 days ago), after the stay in place was instituted, was that one apartment complex I jog by out around Wellborn had close to twice as many cars parked as the previous 2 weeks. It had been dead up to that weekend. This was early in the morning so I figure they are staying at those apts. Were they kids that got tired of being at home, wherever that is? Were they exposed at home and bring it back to CS? I don't think there is anyway to know without tracking every person's movement and we aren't about that in this country.
I did notice this morning that there weren't near as many cars parked there. Did they go back home? Go another place to party? Time may tell.

I pretty sure we have a higher retired (and thus I assume assisted living) community than the typical college town. So if we had some kind of event that caused the virus to penetrate into a few assisted living communities and the death and cases significantly emanate from there, that may very well explain any upwards deviation.

They have this information, and are choosing not to disseminate it. And I agree it's not HIPPA -- it may very well be that the number cases not related to these clusters (which would have relatively low connectivity to the general population) is low, and they fear people wouldn't take the threat seriously. I admit this is *pure* speculation, but in the absence of information, that's what we're left to do.
cavscout96
AG
nthomas99 said:

oklaunion said:

I pretty sure we have a higher retired (and thus I assume assisted living) community than the typical college town. So if we had some kind of event that caused the virus to penetrate int a few assisted living communities and the death and cases significantly emanate from there, that may very well explain any upwards deviation.

They have this information, and are choosing not to disseminate it. And I agree it's not HIPPA -- it may very well be that the number cases not related to these clusters (which would have relatively low connectivity to the general population) is low, and they fear people wouldn't take the thread seriously. I admit this is *pure* speculation, but in the absence of information, that's what we're left to do.

Information / knowledge is power. These guys are loopy with it. Don't expect them to share.

Anyone else feel like Sullivan is really running the whole show? He OWNS the press briefings and "orchestrates" the timing of elected officials' commentary.

It seems to have become more evident the last few briefings I've listened too.
cavscout96
AG
For instance, there is a reason tyrants burn books.

nthomas99
AG
cavscout96 said:

Information / knowledge is power. These guys are loopy with it. Don't expect them to share.

Anyone else feel like Sullivan is really running the whole show? He OWNS the press briefings and "orchestrates" the timing of elected officials' commentary.

It seems to have become more evident the last few briefings I've listened too.

He's clearly running the briefings, and I think that's probably the right thing to do - put a well spoken, medical professional out there to speak to the matter. I don't know him personally, but I know plenty of people who do and they uniformly attest he's a smart, stand-up guy. That said, he by his nature is going to err on the side of extreme caution, with (by design) a lack of care for the other concerns (economic, etc). I suspect that the control of information is coming from levels far above his pay grade.
cavscout96
AG
Sullivan isn't the guy(s) the people elected to lead during this crisis. Should he brief? sure. Should he be running the whole show? Absolutely not.
isitjustme
AG
cavscout96 said:

Sullivan isn't the guy(s) the people elected to lead during this crisis. Should he brief? sure. Should he be running the whole show? Absolutely not.
I don't think the elected guys want the heat. They're using Sullivan as cover for their decisions, and now Abbott for cover on other decisions. That said, I'm not extremely angry with any of them because who knew?? I would like a bit more info on case clusters, and I hope we can start transitioning back to normal. But no sense getting too mad at anyone.
cavscout96
AG
agrab86 said:

cavscout96 said:

I don't think the elected guys want the heat. They're using Sullivan as cover for their decisions, and now Abbott for cover on other decisions. That said, I'm not extremely angry with any of them because who knew?? I would like a bit more info on case clusters, and I hope we can start transitioning back to normal. But no sense getting too mad at anyone.
Totally concur.

---------------------------------------------

Leaders lead. If need be, they take "heat." They also don't cry that the sky is falling and throw tantrums when the led need calm, collected, and reasonable leadership and explanation.

Leaders don't withhold data that can be used by the community to make risk decisions and mitigate threats, and they certainly don't resort to the tried and true "because I said so" paradigm.

Mooney, in particular, has been a colossal failure on this front and deserves every bit of criticism he receives.
nthomas99
AG
New data in. 3 new cases, 4 new recoveries, no deaths, hospitalizations down 1, 102 more tested (I assume there's some lag on this vs new cases, so they can't be per day correlated).

nthomas99
AG
cavscout96 said:

agrab86 said:

cavscout96 said:

Totally concur.

Leaders lead. If need be, they take "heat." They also don't cry that the sky is falling and throw tantrums when the led need calm, collected, and reasonable leadership and explanation.

Leaders don't withhold data that can be used by the community to make risk decisions and mitigate threats, and they certainly don't resort to the tried and true "because I said so" paradigm.

Mooney, in particular, has been a colossal failure on this front and deserves every bit of criticism he receives.

The main thing that I would love to see and would alleviate a lot people's concerns (that they're just going to carry this thing on forever) is to start talking about quantifiable metrics that define when this shelter-in-place starts to get rolled down. I asked this on twitter and just got that it's all about "flattening the curve!" with a link to an article with information that we've all seen a thousand times now.

A few metrics that you think would be necessary:

(1) Penetration of testing into a larger, more randomly sampled portion of the population. Tied to this, what can we do as a community to get more tests? Heck, I'm sure businesses would gladly pitch in the bill to get this more widespread so that we can get back to quasi-normalcy?

(2) What rate of decrease in daily infections is necessary for the all clear?

(3) What's a safe level of hospital utilization that provides a reasonable margin of safety?

Just game-ify compliance, tell the community the metrics we need to hit. I'm sure there's plenty more that's needed. They either need to fess up now and take the heat that they will extend this into June or start talking about a roll down that would be only 3 weeks out from now.

I also really wish our local media would lean on them harder about these things instead of adding to the fear (which given recent numbers may or may not be warranted). Instead, when people ask legitimate questions (even if occasionally with bad math), we get this team up of government and media:

https://twitter.com/by_andrus/status/1247177082444136451/photo/1

I'm sincerely grateful for the work the health department is doing, but anybody who's even glanced at history knows these type of situations are the most fragile to freedom. Trust but verify, Mr. Reagan.
Rapier108
Quote:

I also really wish our local media would lean on them harder about these things instead of adding to the fear (which given recent number may or may not be warranted). Instead, when people as legitimate questions (even if occasionally with bad math), we get this team up of government and media:

I'm sincerely grateful for the work the health department is doing, but anybody who's even glanced at history knows these type of situations are the most fragile to freedom. Trust but verify, Mr. Reagan.
Some of the local media were pressing for a full on lock down, or even a "Wuhan Style Lock Down" two weeks ago.

They never, ever press local leaders, but instead carry their water. And when called out for it, they insult people, although the moron on that Twitter thread bringing up "Q Anon" is the definition of tin foil hat. I've gone a few rounds with KBTX people on Twitter when I pointed out their article's blatant and open bias, and they can get nasty in response. They take it as a personal attack, when they should realize that as members of the media, they're going to get criticism.

And the BCHD is full of crap when they say they cannot release any more information than they already do.

If other counties can release information about where clusters have occurred, where an infected person visited, etc. then they can as well. No one is demanding names, addresses, or other such information.

However, if 50 cases have occurred on the 100-300 blocks of XYZ Street, that should be something the public needs to know. I already know of at least three possible (and one very likely) clusters just based on the numerous EMS calls to those same addresses/streets, but posting it without proof would get my post deleted and probably get me a day off.
cavscout96
AG
nthomas99 said:

cavscout96 said:

agrab86 said:

cavscout96 said:

Totally concur.

The main thing that I would love to see and would alleviate a lot people's concerns (that they're just going to carry this thing on forever) is to start talking about quantifiable metrics that define when this shelter-in-place starts to get rolled down. I asked this on twitter and just got that it's all about "flattening the curve!" with a link to an article with information that we've all seen a thousand times now.

A few metrics that you think would be necessary:

(1) Penetration of testing into a larger, more randomly sampled portion of the population. Tied to this, what can we do as a community to get more tests? Heck, I'm sure businesses would gladly pitch in the bill to get this more widespread so that we can get back to quasi-normalcy?

(2) What rate of decrease in daily infections is necessary for the all clear?

(3) What's a safe level of hospital utilization that provides a reasonable margin of safety?

Just game-ify compliance, tell the community the metrics we need to hit. I'm sure there's plenty more that's needed. They either need to fess up now and take the heat that they will extend this into June or start talking about a roll down that would be only 3 weeks out from now.

I also really wish our local media would lean on them harder about these things instead of adding to the fear (which given recent number may or may not be warranted). Instead, when people as legitimate questions (even if occasionally with bad math), we get this team up of government and media:

agreed. Not too much to ask.
Sleepnumber
AG
cavscout96 said:

Our elected officials should be running the show. But they're gutless and have really shown it during this epidemic. They are totally destroying the BV economy; and tens of thousands of lives as well. Deferring all decisions to the physicians (as well intentioned as they are) gives them political cover.
Aggie1205
AG
Rapier, Cavscout, and Saray,

Question for yall that I'm interested in. If you were given full Czar powers of Brazos County and could implement the response to Corona starting now, what steps would you take immediately? For the purpose of this you can also assume you wouldn't be restricted by any state or national decrees. You have full power of Brazos County.

What would you open back up immediately? Would everything be freed back up or would you keep some restrictions? What information would you release to the public? What else would be part of your plan?
Rapier108
First thing I would do is review all the information that the public is being denied. Then I would look at what would be the least disruptive economically, but also do the best to limit the virus' spread.

Right now, our local leaders have said that they will not even consider economics in their decisions.

I may have done exactly what has been done; I might have done more, or might have done less. I honestly cannot answer because we get so little information from the BCHD and our elected leaders.

One thing I would absolutely not do is make threats such as imposing a "Wuhan Style Lock Down" or make statements which make people think we want to close grocery stores. The day they made the Wuhan comment, the grocery stores were about normal in terms of customers. Within 1 hour, there was not a single parking space left.

But before anything else, I would make sure the public had every bit of information that is legal to release. Let them know the information about clusters, where and when cases have been in the last 2 weeks, and whether or not the other deaths are connected to The Waterford. If other counties can release this information, than Brazos County can as well.

My biggest gripes with our elected leaders is the lack of information, their tone of DOOM, and their early threats to go full Communist China on the citizens of Brazos County. People are nervous, scared, and anything can trigger mass panic. They should know better than to use use words which makes it sound like doomsday is coming tomorrow
Sleepnumber
AG
Aggie1205 said:

Question for yall that I'm interested in. If you were given full Czar powers of Brazos County and could implement the response to Corona starting now, what steps would you take immediately? For the purpose of this you can also assume you wouldn't be restricted by any state or national decrees. You have full power of Brazos County.

What would you open back up immediately? Would everything be freed back up or would you keep some restrictions? What information would you release to the public? What else would be part of your plan?
I'd open all small businesses (say 5 employees or less) at the discretion of the owner. These are the people who are being killed financially, who live month to month, and have little or no reserves. Examples would be an alteration shop, a shoe repair shop, etc. Customers could use them at their discretion and maintain social distancing.
Open all parks and allow children to play with one another in small groups---at their parents discretion.
Force elected leaders to take the lead----not well-meaning but myopic doctors.
On a national scale, we probably have 1000's of world-class statisticians and epidemiologists. Convene them ASAP and have them come up with more realistic consensus models and projections. Much of the publics concern has been brought about by worthless models that change every couple of days.
Open all churches. Configure for social distancing; but let people make a choice about whether they wish to go to church or not.
Aggie1205
AG
Rapier108 said:

Then I would look at what would be the least disruptive economically, but also do the best to limit the virus' spread.
That seems great, I think everyone would be on board. What is that balance though?

Quote:

One thing I would absolutely not do is make threats such as imposing a "Wuhan Style Lock Down" or make statements which make people think we want to close grocery stores. The day they made the Wuhan comment, the grocery stores were about normal in terms of customers. Within 1 hour, there was not a single parking space left.

I haven't caught all press conferences, but the ones I have seen I guess I missed this. I know they were asked by the media about this, but don't recall seeing an official threaten it themselves. Do you recall which day this was?

And did you drive do all of the grocery stores to check on this an hour after that press conference?
MemphisAg1
AG
Rapier108 said:

And they're pushing for not using cash anymore, even after this is all over with.
Using cards isn't all that different if you have to touch the screen everyone else has touched, our use the stupid pen to sign for the transaction.

Lately I've refused to do either, and the cashiers have gone along with it.
Aggie1205
AG
saray said:

Aggie1205 said:

I'd open all small businesses (say 5 employees or less) at the discretion of the owner. These are the people who are being killed financially, who live month to month, and have little or no reserves. Examples would be an alteration shop, a shoe repair shop, etc. Customers could use them at their discretion and maintain social distancing.
Open all parks and allow children to play with one another in small groups---at their parents discretion.
Force elected leaders to take the lead----not well-meaning but myopic doctors.
On a national scale, we probably have 1000's of world-class statisticians and epidemiologists. Convene them ASAP and have them come up with more realistic consensus models and projections. Much of the publics concern has been brought about by worthless models that change every couple of days.
Open all churches. Configure for social distancing; but let people make a choice about whether they wish to go to church or not.

So only business's with less than 5 people? You mentioned that we are destroying the BV economy and tens of thousands of lives, would only opening up businesses of less than 5 people be enough?

Are churches banned by the government from being open? I'm on the email list for a few and all have voluntarily stopped meeting in person.

How do you force thousands of people to come up with a consensus model? Could one reason for the variance be that the data is constantly changing?
Last Page
Page 2 of 190

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.