B/CS number of cases update? 11-17-20 Staff Edit on OP

673,716 Views | 4711 Replies | Last: 8 hrs ago by Nosmo
lockett93
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Spreadsheet updated.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/11DhOiIPQwUQ5teJsvOV_JYp-zDkE4Eq5bQ91fud7y9Q

Today's results include 22 men, 1 woman.
Ratsa
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I hope he's not suggesting that decisions about opening schools in other parts of the state such as the RGV should be based on Brazos county active cases declining. I am totally in favor of schools opening locally in person, but I think the decision to open schools for f2f instruction needs to be made at a local level based on local conditions. Probably just need to wait for KidDoc to weigh in....
KidDoc
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Yes the local districts are planning on opening in person and virtual on schedule at this time. The press conference last week they all kind of hedged on if that was going to happen. I am not part of that committee but I would be shocked if they delayed school opening with our current trends.

What I don't understand is the focus on percent positive as a reason to shut down schools & business. If you are contact tracing you are going to empirically get higher % positives. All that really matters is testing capacity, hospital & ICU capacity. Active cases per capita is also a useful number to look at for risk of exposure.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
theNetSmith
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
there is word that CSISD is considering moving the first day of classes from the 13th to the 18th.
nthomas99
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
theNetSmith said:

there is word that CSISD is considering moving the first day of classes from the 13th to the 18th.
Why? What difference would a few days make?
dubi
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
nthomas99 said:

theNetSmith said:

there is word that CSISD is considering moving the first day of classes from the 13th to the 18th.
Why? What difference would a few days make?
Teacher prep is the reasoning behind the delay.

EBrazosAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Don't ask for logic ... but yes, for some reason the 18th seems to be the date that is being considered. Totally agree with KidDoc latest post. Crazy part is you never hear anyone say what number is too many or how few is low enough. That makes clear imho that it's politics not science driving things when it comes to back to school.
EBrazosAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
If you as a school administrator haven't been prepping your teachers all summer you got bigger problems than 5 days can handle ....
aggielawyer00
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
August 18 was the original first day of school before it was pushed up 5 days back in June.
FlyRod
How long do you want to ignore this user?
This seems potentially pretty big.


https://theeagle.com/news/a_m/texas-a-m-university-system-facility-to-manufacture-potential-covid-19-vaccine/article_a6b80250-d04b-11ea-beee-b783290b011f.html?utm_source=The%20Eagle&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=Breaking%20News
AggieBaseball06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
FlyRod said:

This seems potentially pretty big.


https://theeagle.com/news/a_m/texas-a-m-university-system-facility-to-manufacture-potential-covid-19-vaccine/article_a6b80250-d04b-11ea-beee-b783290b011f.html?utm_source=The%20Eagle&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=Breaking%20News


Now we just need some Corps fish to infil into the back door of that facility, liberate a couple hundred doses of it, and head back to the rally point at the Bright Football Complex.
scd88
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
EBrazosAg said:

If you as a school administrator haven't been prepping your teachers all summer you got bigger problems than 5 days can handle ....


The parents have, at this point, up to 2 weeks prior to school starting to tell the district of their kid is going to be in person or virtual. That doesn't leave much time to adapt for the teachers to be ready. That is from my wife who used to be a teacher and knows many still.
nthomas99
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
EBrazosAg said:

Don't ask for logic ... but yes, for some reason the 18th seems to be the date that is being considered. Totally agree with KidDoc latest post. Crazy part is you never hear anyone say what number is too many or how few is low enough. That makes clear imho that it's politics not science driving things when it comes to back to school.

I just received the email. It's official, they want to move to Aug 18th.
Shepherd Boy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Moving the day back is. I big deal to me.

It's laughable that some think they haven't been working on this all summer. TEA has given different guidelines every month it seems. Can't imagine e it's easy to move forward too quickly when many things keep changing, especially if not having two weeks to know if a student will be online or in the physical school - per the TEA.
Two weeks is not much time to get many things situated when you consider items like figuring out a breakdown of which staff will be online, etc and even just scheduling for the older kids. Glad that locally we continue to love toward opening IN school - for those that choose to.
Ukraine Gas Expert
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I got the same.
GiveEmHellBill
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Shepherd Boy said:

It's laughable that some think they haven't been working on this all summer.
Anyone who thinks this is a fool who should be openly mocked for their stupidity.
txgardengirl
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Many teachers have not had access to their rooms at all due to renovations on campuses. Moving furniture in on the 10th and starting on the 13th was a dream to begin with - especially now that there are many new parameters and requirements it seems
theNetSmith
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
https://www.kbtx.com/2020/07/28/college-station-isd-to-discuss-possible-calendar-change-thursday/

I will be shocked if CSISD schools start class on the 18th. Someone mentioned the date being pushed back for teacher prep, but the decision involves way more than that.. there are so many unanswered questions at this point.. like the as-yet-unknown recommendation from the health dept..

Imagine an elementary school serving hundreds of students in grades 1-4, and the parents of >60 of those students have requested that their child attend virtual classes, but.. those students aren't all in the same grade. Suppose those desiring remote instruction are more or less evenly divided over all 4 grade levels. Do you ask a couple of the teachers at the school to prepare and present curriculum across multiple grade levels? What if only a handful of those students are 3rd graders, but you have a 3rd grade teacher with a respiratory disease, and that teacher is not willing to put their life at risk to come to campus and teach face-to-face classes? Should that teacher stay home and teach 1st and/or 4th graders virtually? What if TWO of your 3rd grade teachers don't want to come back to campus due to health concerns? Are you going to fire them because they feel that teaching at the school is hazardous to their health, even though they are under contract? Good luck with that. And if you do so, are you going to find suitable replacements on such short notice?

As someone else mentioned, the goalposts keep moving, so.. what should the administration have been doing to prep the teachers "all summer"?
cavscout96
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
theNetSmith said:

https://www.kbtx.com/2020/07/28/college-station-isd-to-discuss-possible-calendar-change-thursday/

I will be shocked if CSISD schools start class on the 18th. Someone mentioned the date being pushed back for teacher prep, but the decision involves way more than that.. there are so many unanswered questions at this point.. like the as-yet-unknown recommendation from the health dept..

Imagine an elementary school serving hundreds of students in grades 1-4, and the parents of >60 of those students have requested that their child attend virtual classes, but.. those students aren't all in the same grade. Suppose those desiring remote instruction are more or less evenly divided over all 4 grade levels. Do you ask a couple of the teachers at the school to prepare and present curriculum across multiple grade levels? What if only a handful of those students are 3rd graders, but you have a 3rd grade teacher with a respiratory disease, and that teacher is not willing to put their life at risk to come to campus and teach face-to-face classes? Should that teacher stay home and teach 1st and/or 4th graders virtually? What if TWO of your 3rd grade teachers don't want to come back to campus due to health concerns? Are you going to fire them because they feel that teaching at the school is hazardous to their health, even though they are under contract? Good luck with that. And if you do so, are you going to find suitable replacements on such short notice?

As someone else mentioned, the goalposts keep moving, so.. what should the administration have been doing to prep the teachers "all summer"?
well..... maybe going through all those scenarios you posited and coming up with viable options on how to address them.

I started in March preparing for the return of the university students in August. It's not that hard. You make a flexible plan and adjust it as the picture becomes increasingly clearer.

It does, however, take some modicum of desire to actually see the thing work out and look for solutions rather than throwing your hands in the air with each obstacle that arises.
theNetSmith
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
cavscout96 said:

theNetSmith said:

As someone else mentioned, the goalposts keep moving, so.. what should the administration have been doing to prep the teachers "all summer"?
well..... maybe going through all those scenarios you posited and coming up with viable options on how to address them.

I started in March preparing for the return of the university students in August. It's not that hard. You make a flexible plan and adjust it as the picture becomes increasingly clearer.

It does, however, take some modicum of desire to actually see the thing work out and look for solutions rather than throwing your hands in the air with each obstacle that arises.
I hope you're right -- that scenarios such as the one or two I described are being considered and planned for -- we'll see. Not saying anyone is throwing their hands in the air. I'm glad that you are so prepared for the return of the university students in whatever form that takes, but things are different for our schoolteachers. I can't speak to what the administration has been doing to prepare for the return to classroom teaching because there hasn't been a whole lot of communication between themselves and the teachers.
nthomas99
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
theNetSmith said:

cavscout96 said:


I hope you're right -- that scenarios such as the one or two I described are being considered and planned for -- we'll see. Not saying anyone is throwing their hands in the air. I'm glad that you are so prepared for the return of the university students in whatever form that takes, but things are different for our schoolteachers. I can't speak to what the administration has been doing to prepare for the return to classroom teaching because there hasn't been a whole lot of communication between themselves and the teachers.

They should've been considered, but I don't think they have been, at least not to the depth required to have the "playbook" of contingency responses any public (and in my opinion critical infrastructure) organization should have 5 months into a global pandemic. Go watch the zoom recording from the CSISD workshop from July 15. Several of the board members ask about the pretty basic scenarios that should've been identified and planned for profusely, and the superintendent says things like "we'll just take that on a case by case basis" or other answers that aren't crisp to the level you'd expect with months of planning.

This is a carry over from the "we're watching and planning for at home education" repeatedly said in the spring, week after week as it was plainly obvious the kids weren't going back. Meanwhile, many of us drowned at home, teaching our kids while working remotely in industries that didn't slow down at all. At one point, we emailed a teacher and said "I know you aren't allow to teach my child yet, but can you remind us of the previous and current learning objectives and point us towards some resources so we can teach her?" Her response: "I'm sorry, I don't know if I'm allowed to share that information with you." At that moment, it crystalized for me that the system really is terribly broken and the incentives are messed up.

If they can't deliver, they need to hand back the money and let us figure out how to plan for our kids. Don't worry about the teachers. You loose the $$$s and micro-schools across the district would pop up instantly, paying higher wages and reducing the exposure to a handful of students. I don't see any other way to properly change the incentives other than to expose the institutions to some degree of market forces (just like TAMU).
cavscout96
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
theNetSmith said:

cavscout96 said:

theNetSmith said:

As someone else mentioned, the goalposts keep moving, so.. what should the administration have been doing to prep the teachers "all summer"?
well..... maybe going through all those scenarios you posited and coming up with viable options on how to address them.

I started in March preparing for the return of the university students in August. It's not that hard. You make a flexible plan and adjust it as the picture becomes increasingly clearer.

It does, however, take some modicum of desire to actually see the thing work out and look for solutions rather than throwing your hands in the air with each obstacle that arises.
I hope you're right -- that scenarios such as the one or two I described are being considered and planned for -- we'll see. Not saying anyone is throwing their hands in the air. I'm glad that you are so prepared for the return of the university students in whatever form that takes, but things are different for our schoolteachers. I can't speak to what the administration has been doing to prepare for the return to classroom teaching because there hasn't been a whole lot of communication between themselves and the teachers.
sounds like the admin is asleep at the switch. color me shocked.
oldag00
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
theNetSmith said:

...and the parents of >60 of those students have requested that their child attend virtual classes, but..
I don't think this stat is accurate. This morning WTAW reported that 64% of responding parents in CSISD want in-person schooling with 60% of teachers reporting the same and 24% stating no preference.
cavscout96
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
nthomas99 said:

theNetSmith said:

cavscout96 said:


I hope you're right -- that scenarios such as the one or two I described are being considered and planned for -- we'll see. Not saying anyone is throwing their hands in the air. I'm glad that you are so prepared for the return of the university students in whatever form that takes, but things are different for our schoolteachers. I can't speak to what the administration has been doing to prepare for the return to classroom teaching because there hasn't been a whole lot of communication between themselves and the teachers.

They should've been considered, but I don't think they have been, at least not to the depth required to have the "playbook" of contingency responses any public (and in my opinion critical infrastructure) organization should have 5 months into a global pandemic. Go watch the zoom recording from the CSISD workshop from July 15. Several of the board members ask about the pretty basic scenarios that should've been identified and planned for profusely, and the superintendent say things like "we'll just take that on a case by case basis" or other answers that aren't crisp to the level you'd expect with months of planning.

This is a carry over from the "we're watching and planning for at home education" repeatedly said in the spring, week after week as it was plainly obvious the kids weren't going back. Meanwhile, many of us drowned at home, teaching our kids while working remotely in industries that didn't slow down at all. At one point, we emailed a teacher and said "I know you aren't allow to teach my child yet, but can you remind us of the previous and current learning objectives and point us towards some resources so we can teach her?" Her response: "I'm sorry, I don't know if I'm allowed to share that information with you." At that moment, it crystalized for me that the system really is terribly broken and the incentives are messed up.

If they can't deliver, they need to hand back the money and let us figure out how to plan for our kids. Don't worry about the teachers. You loose the $$$s and micro-schools across the district would pop up instantly, paying higher wages and reducing the exposure to a handful of students. I don't see any other way to properly change the incentives other than to expose the institutions to some degree of market forces (just like TAMU).
on another note, what are "we" waiting for? Is an IndependentSD beholden to TEA for day to day operational policy and procedure? How so? Why?

Make a plan, resource your plan, execute your plan, adjust your plan as the situation develops.

why do we think a bureaucracy in Austin is better suited to make decisions for local students anymore than we believe D.C. bureaucrats are? (I am conceding here that some her might actually believe DC and Austin are better suited, but that's a topic for another day)

....or, is this just another example of passing the buck? Well, you know we really wanted to put a plan in place that actually benefited the students, but that danged ole TEA / county judge / Health District official tied our hands......

pitiful.
Rapier108
How long do you want to ignore this user?
To get back on topic. (Schools needs to be their own thread.)

34 New Cases
1 New Death (Female in her 30s who was hospitalized)
0 Reported Tests (Insert Eye-Roll Emoji)
Looks like 24 in the hospital (+5 -1 if I read it right), occupancy rates up a bit, still below even normal levels.

77801 + 4
77802 + 4
77803 + 12
77807 + 0
77808 + 1
77840 + 2
77845 + 11

http://brazoshealth.org/sites/default/files/inline-files/7.28.20.pdf

And get ready for the hand wringing, calls for lock downs, and all the usual BS because someone under 40 died. Of course they won't tell us if the person had existing health issues (highly likely), but it will probably be enough to elicit some kind of idiot reaction from local officials.
"If you will not fight for right when you can easily win without blood shed; if you will not fight when your victory is sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may even be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves." - Sir Winston Churchill
isitjustme
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
661 current active cases, or 0.28% of the population.

Their Facebook is now updated and I noticed the new death was a female in her 30s. T&P for her, all of the others who have succumbed to this, and all of their families and friends.
Esteban du Plantier
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
In her 30s?

Wonder if this was one of those stories where she died and had covid, but death was from a car accident or something. Or what the exacerbating factors were.
75AG
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
A woman in her 30's is certainly concerning. And the lack of additional information is even more so. Question for you health attorneys (and this may have been discussed pages ago), do HIPAA protections end at death? I can think of no reason that the cause of death during this pandemic, should not be released. Death of a 30 YO due to COVID-19 is NOT enough information.
isitjustme
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Esteban du Plantier said:

In her 30s?

Wonder if this was one of those stories where she died and had covid, but death was from a car accident or something. Or what the exacerbating factors were.
From the Texas DSHS Website:

July 27: DSHS is now reporting COVID-19 fatality data based on death certificates. A fatality is counted as a COVID-19 fatality when the medical certifier attests on the death certificate that COVID-19 is a cause of death.

Death certificate data has identified 5,713 fatalities among Texas residents, including 44 newly reported Monday. That compares with 5,038 deaths reported Sunday under the previous method.

https://txdshs.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/ed483ecd702b4298ab01e8b9cafc8b83

I'm actually surprised it is higher than the previous method.
AggieBaseball06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
75AG said:

A woman in her 30's is certainly concerning. And the lack of additional information is even more so. Question for you health attorneys (and this may have been discussed pages ago), do HIPAA protections end at death? I can think of no reason that the cause of death during this pandemic, should not be released. Death of a 30 YO due to COVID-19 is NOT enough information.


No. It's really not concerning at all. Tragic? Yes. But we've known for months that young people, even those without conditions, run the risk of dying from this. I think this was our first death of someone under 40 in the 4.5 months we've been dealing with this.

If 10 more people in their 30s die from this in the next few weeks, I'll get concerned. But 1? Very unfortunate and sad for her family but it doesn't even move the needle of concern for me.
trouble
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
No, HIPAA does not end at death.
KidDoc
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
AggieBaseball06 said:

75AG said:

A woman in her 30's is certainly concerning. And the lack of additional information is even more so. Question for you health attorneys (and this may have been discussed pages ago), do HIPAA protections end at death? I can think of no reason that the cause of death during this pandemic, should not be released. Death of a 30 YO due to COVID-19 is NOT enough information.


No. It's really not concerning at all. Tragic? Yes. But we've known for months that young people, even those without conditions, run the risk of dying from this. I think this was our first death of someone under 40 in the 4.5 months we've been dealing with this.

If 10 more people in their 30s die from this in the next few weeks, I'll get concerned. But 1? Very unfortunate and sad for her family but it doesn't even move the needle of concern for me.
I agree with this. Every year young people die from flu, varicella, coxsackievirus. It is very rare but it happens.

No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
cavscout96
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
KidDoc said:


I agree with this. Every year young people die from flu, varicella, coxsackievirus. It is very rare but it happens.


I thought you were yanking our collective chains with this one. I had to look it up.
trouble
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
1 discharge

53 recovered

24 Brazos Co patients, 59 regional

Brazos Co hospitals
Total Bed Occupancy: 60%

Total ICU Bed Occupancy: 71%

Regional
Total Staffed Hospital Beds - 387
Available Hospital Beds - 108
Available ICU Beds - 3
Available Ventilators - 45

About that 3 ICU beds, remember that the trauma region stats are staffed, admittable beds. That does not mean there are only 3 physical ICU beds available.
toolshed
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
cavscout96 said:

KidDoc said:


I agree with this. Every year young people die from flu, varicella, coxsackievirus. It is very rare but it happens.


I thought you were yanking our collective chains with this one. I had to look it up.
 
×
subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.