planet k - yay or nay?

25,104 Views | 127 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Bunk Moreland
techno-ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
BassinAg said:

I'm conservative and overly religious, and I think you let the free market work. As long as they obey the laws regulating the products they sell. I think the city should get out of the way. NIMBY's can be far more oppressive than the federal government.
I think the issue is they're not obeying the rules. Other businesses have to follow the rules in Bryan. They're not special. They act like the rules don't apply to them.
Buy a man eat fish, he day, teach fish man, to a lifetime.

- Joe Biden

I think that, to be very honest with you, I do believe that we should have rightly believed, but we certainly believe that certain issues are just settled.

- Kamala Harris
FlyRod
All I know is that building is far more attractive than most of the garbage lining both sides of Texas Ave. in that area.
BCStalk
AgGunNut said:

Whatever your feeling is on the type of products they sell and where the business is located, and idiot that acts like this at a "press conference" doesn't need to be in business in B/CS.

https://www.facebook.com/bcseagle/videos/278129402898088/

Seems to be a really nice guy....Being born and raised here in BCS, I could care less about what opens here. I know from several business that my family has open and had to shut down, it is already hard. This guy has definitely not gone the correct way. When the city told us that we could not put a sign at the road, we didn't do it anyway. There are rules and regulations to protect the face of our cities. From what I can gather, the people here are proud of where we live and the city needs to protect that to a certain extent. If he seriously thinks that coming to our town and behaving that way is going to work...well he's in for a surprise. Perhaps a little humility would do him some good. When you look at good business owners, you don't see this. Look at Mr Hamburger, he had a pretty rough start here but came online professionally and smoothly worked things over. That's how you handle critics, not by calling them criminals.
Scruffy
AG
I tried to watch that. He lost me when he said they are nit an adult novelty store.

This town could use an adult store.
There is no reason people should have to drive to Houston or order off amazon items that can spice up or aid the marital bed.
CRE-Ag
AG
So is the city considering their mural as a sign? Their sign looks a little big for how close it is to the street (from what I remember from reading the sign ordinance), not sure what other rules they're breaking. It'd be ridiculous to require a store like this to be located in an industrial zoning district.
techno-ag
AG
BassinAg said:

So is the city considering their mural as a sign? Their sign looks a little big for how close it is to the street (from what I remember from reading the sign ordinance), not sure what other rules they're breaking. It'd be ridiculous to require a store like this to be located in an industrial zoning district.
I think the mural violated A&M's trademarks. Sounds like their lawyers gave them two weeks to take down anything A&M related.

Rusty tried to ask the owner about the zoning issues and he lashed out at Rusty. He kept saying they were not a novelty store they just sold sexual aides like those that could be found at an HEB. Somebody brought up their inflatable dolls, somebody else mentioned other toys and Rusty tried to point out that Bryan's zoning laws might preclude them from opening due to products of that nature. He really snapped at that point.

The owner seemed most belligerent when he said the citizens of Bryan's "prejudice and ignorance does not allow them to afflict their choices on a business." It sounds like he is taking local rules and ordinances very personally rather than understanding that all businesses in town have to abide by the same rules.

TL/DR: the owner would not answer questions on zoning issues but did say they agreed to remove A&M items from their murals. Overall he seems to think they should be above local rules and came off as rather rude.

- Joe Biden

I think that, to be very honest with you, I do believe that we should have rightly believed, but we certainly believe that certain issues are just settled.

- Kamala Harris
Scruffy
AG
Sounds like sharia law up in here.
techno-ag
AG
Scruffy said:

You don't live in an HOA do you?

- Joe Biden

- Kamala Harris
FlyRod
Just drove past on way to HEB and quite a few customers at their tents that were set up. Here's hoping our newest members of the business community do well.

Back to the negative Nancies ranting...
BCStalk
FlyRod said:

Just drove past on way to HEB and quite a few customers at their tents that were set up. Here's hoping our newest members of the business community do well.

Back to the negative Nancies ranting...

I just drove past as well and saw all of 4 people standing around a tent behind a kidnapping van with a sign on it.
halibut sinclair
Spreadsheet updated. Techno loves Rusty.
techno-ag
AG
halibut sinclair said:

Spreadsheet updated. Techno loves Rusty.
My wife and I are both fans.

- Joe Biden

- Kamala Harris
Scruffy
AG
techno-ag said:

Scruffy said:

You don't live in an HOA do you?

It's complicated.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
Quote:

This town could use an adult store.
There is no reason people should have to drive to Houston or order off amazon items that can spice up or aid the marital bed.

Cindi's is literally a half mile down the road.
BCStalk
How would you know
Scruffy
AG
What's wrong with competition?
Cholula Verde
AG
IMHO.....seems like the old Silk Stocking location would have been a better option for this type of business.
Scruffy
AG
FlyingMudball said:

IMHO.....seems like the old Silk Stocking location would have been a better option for this type of business.

Why? This isn't a teetery.
Which while I don't go to thise, I don't see why why the cities would limit others from going or the aspiring lawyers from earning money for college.
duffelpud
AG
Speaking as someone who deals with ordinances in both cities every single day I will say I don't agree with a good number of what some have called 'idiotic' regulations that have been dreamed up by the policy wonks on staff. Never-the-less, those are the rules and we have to operate within them until we can vote enough council critters into office over a long enough period of time to get them changed (or get a variance, but I digress).

Enter aspiring business person X who decides that they don't have to abide by the same rules that I spend time and money abiding by each day. I don't care if they are selling Bibles to crippled children, it doesn't give them the right to do as they please. Consequently, they will get what's coming to them and it isn't a gold harp and wings.

I tell people at least twice a week - learn what the rules are and you can play the game to win.
"What's this button do?"
Cholula Verde
AG
City...State...or Fed! Truth!!!!
techno-ag
AG
Two citations issued so far.

http://www.kbtx.com/content/news/Planet-K-receives-two-vendor-permit-violations-493521291.html

Quote:

The city of Bryan ordinance says adult novelty stores can't be within 1,000 feet of a church, public school, public hospital or residential district.

- Joe Biden

- Kamala Harris
halibut sinclair
GiveEmHellBill
AG
Quote:

At its news conference Friday, Planet K said it has also reached an agreement with Texas A&M and will remove all Aggie-related images from it's mural on the building. The issue of copyright and trademark violations were brought to the university's attention after the mural was completed.
"Reached an agreement with Texas A&M"? That's rich.

Here's the agreement:

Texas A&M: "Take every one of our logos and trademarks down right now or we'll bury you."
Planet K: "Yes, sir."
Koko Chingo
AG
I am curious to know what the specific ordinance is? And, if the rules are different between Bryan and College Station.

Spencer's in the mall has the same kind of "sexual aids" that this place is selling. There is no public outcry for Spencer's. But it is in College Station and may have different rules.

Planet K seems more of a head, vape, and counter-culture store than an adult novelty store. If you sell one toy does that make it an adult novelty shop?

If the statute is not clear and the city does not enforce it equally, the owner may have a shot of winning a lawsuit if he can afford to sue.

As for the mural, it looks really good. It was a dumb mistake from someone who lives outside the area and did not perform due diligence on trademark rules. He said he will fix it by the end of the month. No big deal.

techno-ag
AG
I don't think Spencer's is within 1000 feet of anything except more mall property.

- Joe Biden

- Kamala Harris
Rapier108
Since the owner cannot follow the rules and get the needed permits, it needs to be shut down.
Koko Chingo
AG
You have to include everything under the mall's roof --- optometrist - kids clothing stores - Chuck E Cheese - Christian book store- Game Stop and all the other business.

From the property line it's probably 1,000 ft from Grand Station.

With a mall kids get dropped off without parents to hang out with each other. Also you enter through any door and you have access to all business.

I get it. The guy is over the top. But you have to clearly defined what an adult novelty shop is. Is it one product or 51% like the concealed carry laws are based on.

I don't know. If someone has a copy of the statue please post it. KBTX has not posted it either. Nor has the business owner.
Belton Ag
AG
I'm just curious in which isle at HEB the blow up sex dolls are located.
cslifer
First of all "adult novelty shop" isn't a term used in city of Bryan ordinances. They use terms relating to adult entertainment and say (I am paraphrasing here) that a substantial amount of products/business is adult related. So far as the rest of your post goes, grand Station, Chuck E. Cheese, Christian book store ect are all simply businesses, so there is nothing stopping an adult business from being close to them. If you were to really look at it, in theory the mall would meet all the requirements to rezone for a strip club.
EliteElectric
I'd like to know what COB would do to the rest of us business owners if we blatantly threw the middle finger at them and opened for business with out the go ahead from the city to do so?

This guy is a complete tool, his "press conference" was a joke. He seems like a complete idiot, and, at the very least is operating outside of the limits of the local laws with no real concern for doing it.

Send him back to sippyland with his tail between his legs says I, but I am biased.
techno-ag
AG
http://wtaw.com/2018/09/24/new-adult-business-bryan-received-five-tickets-from-city-hall/

Issued 5 tickets so far.

They have been granted an itenerant vendor's permit so they can continue to sell in their parking lot, but the city said they cannot sell things for which that area is not zoned for. The city says they'll be monitoring that, too.

- Joe Biden

- Kamala Harris
halibut sinclair
Belton Ag
AG
techno-ag said:

http://wtaw.com/2018/09/24/new-adult-business-bryan-received-five-tickets-from-city-hall/

Issued 5 tickets so far.

They have been granted an itenerant vendor's permit so they can continue to sell in their parking lot, but the city said they cannot sell things for which that area is not zoned for. The city says they'll be monitoring that, too.
So it looks like the dude just showed up in Bryan one day and painted a bunch of trademarked pictures on a building and then started selling stuff. Didn't check the zoning laws, didn't get permits, didn't ask for permission to paint the murals, just went about opening his business in the most slapdick manner possible.
Stupe
S
Pretty much.
Love Gun
techno-ag said:

Issued 5 tickets so far.

Good. Keep racking up the tickets. Pretty soon they'll realize that selling bongs out of a tent isn't going to keep the fines paid.

I thought an itenerant permit meant they had to be a mobile seller.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.