Century Square paid parking starts May 11

19,210 Views | 165 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by halibut sinclair
australopithecus robustus
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Looks like the parking process is a deterrent for some
AgFan131
They could have free parking and I still wouldn't go there because they tried pulling that in the first place.
Scruffy
AG
This isn't a Chicago, NY, or other place where one chooses to drive and park instead of taking public transport.

Much like Park West they were fed misinformation about the demand and didn't do due diligence on the area.
Once the novelty wears off it will too sit dead.
75AG
AG
Scruffy said:

This isn't a Chicago, NY, or other place where one chooses to drive and park instead of taking public transport.

Much like Park West they were fed misinformation about the demand and didn't do due diligence on the area.
Park West is 90% occupied for Fall 2018. This place will be just fine. And successful.
lost my dog
75AG said:

Scruffy said:

Park West is 90% occupied for Fall 2018. This place will be just fine. And successful.
What's with the people shilling for Park West on this board? I'm honestly trying to figure out why. The people Park West really needs to convince to buy their product are students, who aren't on this board.

Now ragging on Century Square by the people here I can understand...
Oogway
Pay. Don't pay. Free. Not free. Warning. No warning. Validate. No validate. I just wish they would spend 20 minutes figuring what the heck they want to do and then communicate it clearly and efficiently with appropriate confusion-free (to most of us) directions and signage and fees or no fees. I can figure out which establishments I wish to visit (or not) on my own.
Cyp0111
Park West can't cover OPEX due to rent concessions. They think they'll have ability to increase rents y-o-y in a college town w summer move outs. Lol
75AG
AG
lost my dog said:

75AG said:

Scruffy said:

CThis isn't a Chicago, NY, or other place where one chooses to drive and park instead of taking public transport.

What's with the people shilling for Park West on this board? I'm honestly trying to figure out why. The people Park West really needs to convince to buy their product are students, who aren't on this board.

Now ragging on Century Square by the people here I can understand...
I'm not shilling for anyone. Just getting my info from the Bloomberg article.
Scruffy
AG
75AG said:

Scruffy said:

No. They have pre-leased for then 90%
That is not the same.
I read that article and what they said as trying to say "all hope isn't lost" to investors.

Talking with another property manger last month, they had a 90% pre-lease for next fall as well.
That one isn't couldn'ting heads until they start paying.
We will see how it turns out.
If Park West gets additional help by being listed in the official TAMU housing website, there may be lawsuits because they are giving preferential treatment to one company over another.

None of that addresses the parking issue at century square.
We will see how that turns out.
RDH80
AG
Went to Mo's ladt night . In and out in a little over an hour . Paid $1.00 to park in the garage.
gopitt
If you can't afford a buck or two for parking in a very classy development with a great diversity of shops and restaurants go up to one of the dives in Northgate and hang out with the college kids. The way bars are shutting down there I expect that area to be bulldozed next.
redd38
AG
gopitt said:

If you can't afford a buck or two for parking in a very classy development with a great diversity of shops and restaurants go up to one of the dives in Northgate and hang out with the college kids. The way bars are shutting down there I expect that area to be bulldozed next.

Wait till you hear about the Northgate parking situation
Northgate charges way more for parking and can do so because of greater demand, granted there are pockets of time when its free.
MBAR
AG
gopitt said:

Its not a matter of affording it. Its a matter of not wanting to pay it because its bull*****

I don't get why some of you are going to bat for the company for nickle and diming customers over a non existant parking shortage. Its cool if you don't think its a big deal. Go and pay the parking. But some people don't like to just take this BS. Not sure why that would bother anyone. More space for you, right?
cslifer
Which bars are shutting down? As far as I know it is just the opposite, two new ones are about to open.
gopitt
Weat End Elixir and Blackwater Draw have closed. They feel there is a better business opportunity in downtown Bryan. I think others will follow as downtown Bryan and Century Square continue to take customers away from Northgate. The city needs to heavily invest in Northgate if they hope to preserve
It.
Scruffy
AG
gopitt said:

Weat End Elixir and Blackwater Draw have closed. They feel there is a better business opportunity in downtown Bryan. I think others will follow as downtown Bryan and Century Square continue to take customers away from Northgate. The city needs to heavily invest in Northgate if they hope to preserve
It.
When did West End close?
I have talked with the owners, and yes the upscale bar/adult scene is better in Bryan. Mainly due to parking being free and plenty. The current West End may change a bit to better serve the younger demographic, but as far as I know they aren't closing up shop.

As for Blackwater, they never wanted to be a restaurant. They were a brewpub that had good food. Their goal the entire time was to grow a brewery. The Northgate brewpub was a great location to get started and their name/demand out. With the downtown brewery open and going strong, once the city raised property taxes on them it was no longer worth the extra cost to keep both locations going.

Keep in mind why Bryan has a growing bar and entertainment scene: plenty of free parking and fewer students.
cslifer
Funny thing about the taxes and Blackwater Draw...it isn't true. Look at Brazos cad for the building (which they didn't own), from 17 to 18 the value actually went down. It did go up about 20% from 16 to 17 but not "doubled" as people like to say. If you look at the business property belonging to them it has consistently gone down in value since 2016.
BlackWater and west end don't appeal to the Northgate customer....duh.
75AG
AG
Dang, gopitt, you scared me about West End Elixer Company.
gopitt
Sorry, wrong info on Elixir. They opened in the Lasalle Hotel and a friend of mine assumed they were going with only one spot. The one in the Lasalle is supposed to be pretty upscale. Not been there personally.
AgFan131
And you can smoke in it!
Post removed:
by user
DTP02
AG
cslifer said:

Funny thing about the taxes and Blackwater Draw...it isn't true. Look at Brazos cad for the building (which they didn't own), from 17 to 18 the value actually went down. It did go up about 20% from 16 to 17 but not "doubled" as people like to say. If you look at the business property belonging to them it has consistently gone down in value since 2016.

The owners of the property didn't want to keep them there is the bottom line.
DTP02
AG
gopitt said:

Sorry, wrong info on Elixir. They opened in the Lasalle Hotel and a friend of mine assumed they were going with only one spot. The one in the Lasalle is supposed to be pretty upscale. Not been there personally.

Downtown Elixir has a different vibe than West End, but both Downtown and Five Knocks (downstairs) are great additions to the downtown Bryan scene.
lost my dog
DTP02 said:

cslifer said:

The question is why? Nothing else in that space in the past two decades has had much success. Is an another apartment building in the works?
Scruffy
AG
That's the common thought.
CoS would love more high rise or otherwise expensive apartments.
DTP02
AG
lost my dog said:

DTP02 said:

cslifer said:

The question is why? Nothing else in that space in the past two decades has had much success. Is an another apartment building in the works?
I can't speak to exactly what's in their minds because I haven't talked to them, but the thought is that they want to sell the property to a high-rise apartment/condo developer.
The rent is too high for the use. Change the use or change the rent. It's all numbers
viejo
I won't be going to any Century Square business as long as they charge for parking. There isn't anything there I can't get elsewhere without paying for parking. I wish them the best of luck.
gopitt
Unfortunately, Northgate is dying: No one one wants to upgrade the shacks that line Northgate, Downtown Bryan and Century Square are thriving due to companies investing money, Within 3 years I expect all of Northgate to be high rise apartments. Who is to blame? The city? Landlords? I don't have that answer.
But Northgate is a cesspool. And, other than college students, no one will want to visit. Sad.
viejo
gopitt said:

Really? Those are the choices? I want to go to a nice restaurant, I can go to Christopher's, Republic, or Veritas without having to pay for parking. I want a good burger, I can go to Koppe Bridge, Grub, or Harvey Washbangers and not have to pay for parking. As for shopping, almost all of those stores have online capablility, I don't have to leave the comfort of my own home to shop there.....and not pay for parking. I could go on and on. By the way, if I want to grab a beer and play some 42 at the Chicken....I have to pay for parking.

Charging for parking at Century Square is a moronic idea....and one that will keep me from ever going there again. Now if they change their policy....I'd happy go and enjoy Porter's, or King Ranch Saddle shop, or Hopdaddy's. I don't care if they validate or not. There aren't a lot of places in Houston that charge for parking, unless it's downtown. In fact, I can't think of a single "classy development" in Houston that charges for parking. Can anyone?

Bad decision Brad Freels. You need to change it.
redd38
AG
gopitt said:

Unfortunately, Northgate is dying: No one one wants to upgrade the shacks that line Northgate, Downtown Bryan and Century Square are thriving due to companies investing money, Within 3 years I expect all of Northgate to be high rise apartments. Who is to blame? The city? Landlords? I don't have that answer.
But Northgate is a cesspool. And, other than college students, no one will want to visit. Sad.

I'll take that bet! How much?
gopitt,

With all due respect you clearly aren't privy to the sales figures (which are public info if you care to look).

Northgate sales ECLIPSE Dtown Bryan. Century Square is putting up a few decent numbers, but nothing in the realm of the collective at Northgate.

Yes, Northgate appeals to students, which is a demographic clearly not to be ignored. Century Square obviously appeals to an older demographic which is comprised of mostly families and 40+. Students will go there to eat but not drink.

Without the yuppie consumers in the 25-40 range that have $100k jobs, which this town has very little, Dtown Bryan will have a hard time posting the numbers of ngate.

Northgate, for a lack of a better comparison is like a hybrid of 6th street and Rainey Street in Austin. Those two places aren't going anywhere.

Dtown Bryan has more to worry about with the addition of Century Square than it does with Northgate. Century Square appeals to the same consumer. Dtown Bryan will be hard pressed to catch up.

Edit: also, let me just say that I really like Dtown Bryan and I moderately like Century Square. There's not much for me in Northgate.

However, I will go to Century Square probably 3 to 1 over Dtwon Bryan. More variety, nice, clean and new, easier access.
gopitt
Austra- I agree, and you and I usually have different visions. The sales numbers are there at Northgate now, but I think Century Square and downtown Bryan will eventually erode those numbers. For an area that the city touts (Northgate) it has really turned into somewhat of a dump. Money needs to be put into that area to put some life into it. Not an attractive venue by any means. Sixth St. and other bar areas always have continual upgrades. New building fronts, etc., which is totally lacking in Northgate. The city and landlords can do much better.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.