Century Square paid parking starts May 11

18,941 Views | 165 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by halibut sinclair
HortAg09
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Went to Moes yesterday around 5 and came out with multiple cars with papers on the windshield. I paid for an hr and was able to eat and get out 2 minutes over my limit. I could see the LAZ attendant eyeing my car but he was tied up with a guy complaining about the warning/citation.
Cyp0111
I've had atleast 10 at City Centre in Houston w no ticket.
techno-ag
AG
HortAg09 said:

Went to Moes yesterday around 5 and came out with multiple cars with papers on the windshield. I paid for an hr and was able to eat and get out 2 minutes over my limit. I could see the LAZ attendant eyeing my car but he was tied up with a guy complaining about the warning/citation.
It'll be interesting to see if someone asks a restaurant or business to pay the ticket for them.
halibut sinclair
AgFan131
Do they have bike racks there?
Oogway
Forget the parking, how was the food? I have a family member who is awaiting reviews.
australopithecus robustus
I don't think any business should even entertain paying parking tickets. If people aren't grown up enough to understand the deal then they deserve a ticket
cslifer
Who is going to write you a ticket? How would they enforce it? Hint: nobody and they can't
They could tow...doubt they would, but they could
Cyp0111
It's a ticket written via a private security force. Midway sometimes gets it really wrong, usually an arrogant stance on the value of their "community"
cslifer
Written by a private security force=not enforceable. Who is going to make you pay it? The best the could do would be tow.
Theft of service?
jja79
AG
Assuming it's like the other Mo's location its worth going.
cslifer
No.
TexasAggie_02
AG
"It was a legitimate tow" A1

Man, that was an infuriating/entertaining thread
Ornlu
AG
Oogway said:

Forget the parking, how was the food? I have a family member who is awaiting reviews.
Is his name Greg?
MBAR
AG
FlyRod said:

Change is tough for some people. I imagine the new and younger folks moving here from urban areas with high parking rates wil find ours a relief. I look forward to continuing to patronize Century Square.
The point is that this isn't San Fransisco or New York or even downtown San Antonio. It's College Station where space is not at a premium. The only reason for someone to charge me to park here is to nickle and dime me and I'm not OK with that.

I didn't realize this was the case until I went to Star Cinema tonight. I'll continue to go there as long as they validate in the garage, but I won't be going back to Blaze or any of the other places as long as I have to pay to park.
MBAR
AG
TexasAggie_02 said:

Folks, it's not that difficult. If they didn't charge, it would fill up before 8am with students, and then all of you would be griping and moaning about lack of parking.
Its amazing how the other lots around campus that are free and for businesses don't fill up with students because they have towing. Weird how Century Square somehow can't do the same.
I went tonight. Didn't pay. Received the "warning" from the parking mgmt co.

Here's the thing. If I want to go there enough to pay, then I'll pay. If I don't, I won't.

There's is absolutely NOTHING there special enough to justify paying to park, except maybe Star Cinema Grill, because there's nothing like it in town right now.

I can get as good or better food as as well as bar experiences elsewhere in town at better prices and with free parking.
tb9665
If it is after 5 on Friday, there is always lot 50 at TAMU if you don't mind the walk. It is free on the weekends.
gopitt
Parking will not be a deterrent. Place is always packed and new businesses being added regularly along with free outdoor concerts and live music at several great venues. It will continue to grow and flourish. Much needed addition to the local scene.
Stucco
tb9665 said:

If it is after 5 on Friday, there is always lot 50 at TAMU if you don't mind the walk. It is free on the weekends.
Non-students parking at the school to go to Century Square.
phatpat21
And the best thing is, when you go to the movies just park in the garage and they validate your ticket.
JR Ewing
AG
I stopped in yesterday at Tiff's Treats to place an order for a meeting I had later that afternoon that I wanted delivered. Got a dozen cookies and some beverages. I get back to my car, mind you, I'm in the store for 5 minutes, and I have a warning for not paying for parking.

While I was placing my order, I had asked the guy at Tiff's Treats about parking, and he said I'm supposed to get the first 30 minutes free, or 15 minutes for quick stops, but the enforcers put a notice on my car. Mind you, they were in the dang cookie place in front of me getting a free cookie. There's no way in hell I'm paying $2 when I pop in to place an order. I'm done with Century Square, and don't say that I don't know what having good options entails.

I grew up in the Galleria area in Houston, and they don't nickle and dime people for parking. You pay more at the stores, but it's worth not being hassled for conducting normal business. If I was one of the businesses like Orange Theory or Tiff's Treats, I'd be getting out of the Century Square business. Are they charging folks for parking at the new Mo's Irish Pub? There needs to be some rethinking of their business model, because I guarantee you, they're losing more people to nickle and diming than they would if they just had folks in the stores up their prices or pay slightly higher rent.
Cyp0111
All good points. The inability to run in and grab a quick item from one of the fast casual restaurants is really going to hurt.
halibut sinclair
Quote:

FREE and convenient 15 minute to-go parking is available throughout the property for customers making a quick stop or picking up online orders to carry out.
gopitt
Exactly halibut.
Some people would rather complain than be cognizant of their surroundings. The 15 minute spots are plentiful and rather well marked.
JR Ewing
AG
Having some experience with the PayBySpace system, I do know that the amount of money generated from the turnover of those spots is unbelievable, so while I stand on my soapbox, monetarily, I know why they are keeping the PBS there. It probably generates more than the rent for all of those places does monthly.
JR Ewing
AG
I parked immediately in front of the business's door. If that isn't a designated 15 minute spot for the business, then I'm not the idiot.
Captn_Ag05
AG
JR Ewing said:

I stopped in yesterday at Tiff's Treats to place an order for a meeting I had later that afternoon that I wanted delivered. Got a dozen cookies and some beverages. I get back to my car, mind you, I'm in the store for 5 minutes, and I have a warning for not paying for parking.

While I was placing my order, I had asked the guy at Tiff's Treats about parking, and he said I'm supposed to get the first 30 minutes free, or 15 minutes for quick stops, but the enforcers put a notice on my car. Mind you, they were in the dang cookie place in front of me getting a free cookie. There's no way in hell I'm paying $2 when I pop in to place an order. I'm done with Century Square, and don't say that I don't know what having good options entails.

I grew up in the Galleria area in Houston, and they don't nickle and dime people for parking. You pay more at the stores, but it's worth not being hassled for conducting normal business. If I was one of the businesses like Orange Theory or Tiff's Treats, I'd be getting out of the Century Square business. Are they charging folks for parking at the new Mo's Irish Pub? There needs to be some rethinking of their business model, because I guarantee you, they're losing more people to nickle and diming than they would if they just had folks in the stores up their prices or pay slightly higher rent.
To you, and others, I would suggest leaving a review like this on the Century Square facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/CenturySquareBCS/

They are responding to some reviews. They need to be aware of the feelings of BCS residents on the issue.
chigger
AG
We went Friday to go to Hoppdoddy's. After waiting for almost 10 minutes in line to pay for parking due to everyone trying to figure the system out, we discover the $1/1st hour, $5/2hour pricing (I wasn't standing with them, guess the other guys didn't ask). We left. Four of us, probably a $50 sale for Hoppdoddy's lost.

Two other ladies who had parked farther down left as well. The way it works is that you put in the license plate number and then put a ticket on your dash. Heard them say "I'm not walking to get the license plate, and then walking back to put the thing on the dash. Let's go somewhere else."

Just saying. A good $60-$70 lost right there for $2 of parking.
75AG
AG
cslifer said:

Written by a private security force=not enforceable. Who is going to make you pay it? The best the could do would be tow.
So if they don't tow you, what's the big deal?
techno-ag
AG
chigger said:

We went Friday to go to Hoppdoddy's. After waiting for almost 10 minutes in line to pay for parking due to everyone trying to figure the system out, we discover the $1/1st hour, $5/2hour pricing (I wasn't standing with them, guess the other guys didn't ask). We left. Four of us, probably a $50 sale for Hoppdoddy's lost.

Two other ladies who had parked farther down left as well. The way it works is that you put in the license plate number and then put a ticket on your dash. Heard them say "I'm not walking to get the license plate, and then walking back to put the thing on the dash. Let's go somewhere else."

Just saying. A good $60-$70 lost right there for $2 of parking.
Sad to see such a promising place have to deal with this millstone around their neck.
Cyp0111
Midway gonna Midway
BCStalk
So honest question and possibly already covered but if I wanted to go eat at Century Square and was there for 1 hour and 2 minutes, I would have to pay $5 to park?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.