Gun Corps College Station

47,231 Views | 138 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by DontBeTriggered
AgySkeet06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
It is in my possession!!!!!

I think the ATF just reissued the stamps but can't be for certain. The guy at champions said the ATF gave them all the paperwork.

Only problem (kind of) was I thought a muzzle break thread adaptor was suppose to come with the can but did not......
Deats99
AG
Good deal!
A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan executed next week.
-George S Patton
SlowRPH
I'm still waiting on my call
SlowRPH
Finally found out why I never got my call. Gun Corp's had the can under the wrong name with no phone number.... At least I got my Surefire now!
AggiePhil
AG
Join Brazos Valley NFA on Facebook.
TxAg2978

Those that have received the products they ordered, did you do so through contacting Spirit of Texas Bank or contacting Joel Crutcher?

I pre-ordered a rifle from Gun Corps last year (Desert Tech MDR). The rifle is not yet in production, but I have paid in full. I am trying to figure out if/when/how I can obtain a refund or the rifle when they begin shipping.
CS78
I think most people got a call from Champions. I hate to say it but Id be surprised if you see gun or money at this point. Do you know if the order was directly through MDR or a distributor? Id be calling whoever it was ordered through and see if they have received payment. Do you have a serial number?
TxAg2978
Unfortunately I do not have a serial number as the gun is not yet in production. Contacting the manufacturer is a good idea! I will try that. I already tried to make contact with Sprit of Texas Bank (waiting for a call back) as well as Joel from GC (email account is now undeliverable). If I make any progress I will post it. They supposedly had quite a few MDR pre-orders. I doubt I am the only one that got hung out to dry. If any other MDR pre-orders have been successful making contact please let me know.
AgySkeet06
AG
From my experience with the whole situation, Spirit of Texas is in control of all the on hand inventory only. Have a feeling orders are a lost cause. Hopefully you paid by credit card and could contest the charge.
From what I read online the bankruptcy proceedings are still ongoing so you may have some hope depending on how it ends.
And FYI I hear Joel is MIA and not talking to anyone or returning phone calls
TxAg2978
I had not even thought about contesting through my credit card company. Thanks for the advice!
mrsquid
Has anyone on here been so unfortunate to have consigned guns with them?

As of 01August I'm out $15k worth of guns and accessories that were not in the inventory, and Joel had not turned over his FFL Log Book.

Supposedly ATF is interested in what they had referred to as a purely civil matter.
Oogway
If the business didn't have the weapons in the inventory, then it wouldn't be surprising that ATF is interested since the licensee has to record it in the acquisition and deposition record, right?

I think it was stated earlier that if a business is dissolved the owner has thirty days to surrender their records to the ATF. If theowner has not done this, then there could be an investigation?

Good luck to you; hope you can get your stuff back.
cz308
mrsquid said:

Has anyone on here been so unfortunate to have consigned guns with them?

As of 01August I'm out $15k worth of guns and accessories that were not in the inventory, and Joel had not turned over his FFL Log Book.

Supposedly ATF is interested in what they had referred to as a purely civil matter.

Yikes! Crazy how they just closed.
mrsquid
I have recovered one weapon, apparently Joel sold the others and kept the money, so my weapons passed to innocent buyers.

My chance of recovering the sold weapons is nil, and my only recourse is to get the money from Joel. I heard that the total loss on the closure was somewhere around $300K and Joel has no assets I can get to, so I'll deduct the losses on my taxes.

I hope that everyone else will eventually be made whole.
studioone

so does he go to jail?
harrierdoc
AG
Why? Is bankruptcy illegal? I guess if he illegally sold weapons, that's a whole other thing. However, if he sold the guns legally, and just didn't pay his bills, then he will have court protection I would guess.

Sucks. I'm sorry for the outcome for those of you who got ripped off
The Anchor
AG
harrierdoc said:

Why? Is bankruptcy illegal? I guess if he illegally sold weapons, that's a whole other thing. However, if he sold the guns legally, and just didn't pay his bills, then he will have court protection I would guess.

It sounds like he sold stuff that didn't belong to him or his company.
Rexter
harrierdoc said:

I doubt anyone would be squawking about him selling his own items....
harrierdoc
AG
I guess it would depend on the way the paperwork was stated that was signed by the consinger.
I would assume that the owner somehow handed ownership over to the person selling the firearm, so that he could take care of the sale and paperwork without having to have the owner come in and do all that stuff.
I would also assume that there was some contractual mumbo-jumbo about, once sold, the proceeds would be passed back to the consigner, minus a fee.
Basically, the consigner is a liability, or account payable, to the person that is selling the firearm, and the seller just chose not to honor that liability. No different than Sears going bankrupt and not paying back Amana for all the refrigerators they had sold, but didn't pay for.

I really have no idea, just spit balling it here, though.
txyaloo
AG
harrierdoc said:

I guess it would depend on the way the paperwork was stated that was signed by the consinger.
I would assume that the owner somehow handed ownership over to the person selling the firearm, so that he could take care of the sale and paperwork without having to have the owner come in and do all that stuff.
I would also assume that there was some contractual mumbo-jumbo about, once sold, the proceeds would be passed back to the consigner, minus a fee.
Basically, the consigner is a liability, or account payable, to the person that is selling the firearm, and the seller just chose not to honor that liability. No different than Sears going bankrupt and not paying back Amana for all the refrigerators they had sold, but didn't pay for.

I really have no idea, just spit balling it here, though.
Exactly this. The majority of these issues will be civil not criminal.

ATF may have some administrative fines they can assess.
studioone
"I have recovered one weapon, apparently Joel sold the others and kept the money, so my weapons passed to innocent buyers."

That sounds like joel sold weapons to people that were not his and kept the money... That would be theft.

which is a federal crime, especially with firearms...
harrierdoc
AG
again, that depends on the way the paperwork is worded when they left the firearms with him. You are making assumptions. You may be right, but I'd bet the verbage protects him from this type of fallout - if he was smart.
The Original AG 76
AG
mrsquid said:

I have recovered one weapon, apparently Joel sold the others and kept the money, so my weapons passed to innocent buyers.

My chance of recovering the sold weapons is nil, and my only recourse is to get the money from Joel. I heard that the total loss on the closure was somewhere around $300K and Joel has no assets I can get to, so I'll deduct the losses on my taxes.

I hope that everyone else will eventually be made whole.
Assuming that the paperwork you filled out did not in any way transfer ownership to the dealer I would assume that you can simply go to the local police and file theft charges against Joel and claim that the firearms are stolen property. Give the serial numbers to the cops and have them listed as stolen. No matter how innocent the buyers were they can not retain possession of stolen property and you could recover IF Joel kept a list or a bill of sale. If the police won't accept the charges then go to the sheriff , then to the Constables..on and on ...file with any and all law enforcement you can dig up till somebody accepts charges. Contact ATF and file a stolen firearms report . Hopefully something will stick.
oklaunion
hd:
the guy said his gun was on consignment. When one does that, the FFL / dealer puts it into their 'book' to make possession legal and then puts it up for sale for the OP who is still the owner. It doesn't mean the dealer owns the gun. If so, he would have paid OP for the gun and the OP wouldn't be complaining. If the dealer, after closing his business sells the gun and doesn't give the owner the money, that should be theft. Why are you taking up for Joel?
AgGunNut
AG
It's still going to be considered a civil and not criminal matter. If he turned over firearms to the dealer to sell on his own accord, he gave the dealer legal possession of his property.

The fact that the dealer was supposed to sell them and give him money in return was a contract (read, civil) issue. The owner out the money can get in line to sue the business owner, but a criminal case won't be made. It's the same as the dealer buying firearms from a distributor, selling them, but still having outstanding bills with the distributor. Not a crime. Just wrong and bad business.
harrierdoc
AG
I'm not taking up for anyone. It just seems to me that people are suggesting that someone should face criminal charges for, what seems to me to be, a civil matter.

I'm no lawyer, just discussing.

I don't know this guy, nor am I aware that I know of anyone who was wronged by him.

Do you have a personal interest?
GSS
The situation could fit the definition of criminal fraud, dependent on what information was passed between GC and the individuals.
If an inquiry was made ("has my firearm sold?"), and GC lied about the situation, how should that be considered legally?
AgGunNut
AG
I would look up Title 7 of the Texas Penal Code, specifically chapter 32, and find where the actual crime "fraud" is. It doesn't exist. Specific deceptive practices are listed as crimes, but not "fraud".

When it comes to fraud, there are very specifically defined crimes in Texas. It doesn't appear what's GC did would fit. When it comes to contracts/sales agreements in Texas, unless it's an automobile, it's typically buyer (or in this case seller) beware.

Once again, poor business practices open to civil suit? Very likely. A crime? That's a stretch that won't likely fly in court unless there was some sort of Federal criminal law broken regarding ATF regs.
nought
AG
AgGunNut said:

It's still going to be considered a civil and not criminal matter. If he turned over firearms to the dealer to sell on his own accord, he gave the dealer legal possession of his property.

The fact that the dealer was supposed to sell them and give him money in return was a contract (read, civil) issue. The owner out the money can get in line to sue the business owner, but a criminal case won't be made. It's the same as the dealer buying firearms from a distributor, selling them, but still having outstanding bills with the distributor. Not a crime. Just wrong and bad business.
Actually, you're wrong. This is not a civil case.

Let's talk about this in the context of cars, not guns. You can make an agreement with a car dealership for your car to be on their lot, for them to market that car and arrange to sell it. You retain title to it.

If that dealership then goes out of business, sells your car to someone else, and doesn't pay you for it, they have committed theft. Criminal theft, not some sort of civil thing.

The same has happened here. Possession of guns was transferred for consignment purposes, but unless ownership transferred, then the guns were sold illegally and have been stolen. Theft is a criminal issue, not a civil one.

I agree with the person above who said to start contacting every law enforcement agency possible.
AgGunNut
AG
As my previous post clarified, there are specific criminal statutes regarding automobiles.

Property was transferred (possession, not ownership) with the contractual agreement to sell the items. Contracts are civil issues. Criminal theft laws deal with lawful possession. Not whether the person in legal possession of the property is the owner. I get that is a muddy situation, but no, it is not theft.

Edit: If he sold the gun and did not turn over money to the owner of the gun, it does get even stickier, but given the fact that the business was failing, it's still more likely than not that a criminal case would not be accepted. A big issue lies with proof/burden of proof.

How is this situation any different than a dealer buying guns from a distributor on credit (a contractual obligation), selling them, and not paying the bill?
Rexter
He did commit a crime by not returning property or funds:

Criminal conversion: Embezzlement is a crime against ownership; i.e. voiding the right of the owner to control the disposition and use of the property entrusted to the embezzler. ... If the thief merely had custody, the crime at common law is larceny.

So start chasing him.

AgGunNut
AG
Where are you quoting that from? Conversion and larceny are not crimes in Texas. When I say crime. I mean a criminal offense listed in the Penal Code.
Rexter
Larceny is defined as theft of personal property. TX charged with theft.
AgGunNut
AG
There is more to it than someone merely having possession as you stated.

In the end, the people who feel wronged need to seek the advice of an attorney for their final answer.
DontBeTriggered
Any updates on this story?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.