CS ordinance banning cell phone use while driving

40,113 Views | 271 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Clo004
phatpat21
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I never drive with two hands...its weird
Rexter
10-2.......10 & 2.........TEN AND TWO!!!!!
Rapier108
Rapier108
Darn it, didn't mean to post a blank reply.

Anyway, so they passed the ordinance, but KBTX didn't say if they included the two hands on the wheels.
SoTheySay
redd38
redd38
AG
This should be fun for all the visitors to town this fall.
Justified
Question, does the city council have to abid by the same laws they voted in? And if it was so important why not let the citizens vote on it?

Edit: never mind that's a whole can of worms
Justin2010
AG
Banning talking on your phone is just stupid.

Texting - sure.
dubi
AG
quote:
Banning talking on your phone is just stupid.

Texting - sure.

I'm not sure what they passed, but most cities have a "hands free" rule. So you can talk Bluetooth, just not holding the device.
Tailgate88
AG
quote:
10-2.......10 & 2.........TEN AND TWO!!!!!

Last time I took Defensive Driving they changed that to 8 & 4 due to steering wheel airbags...
australopithecus robustus
I'm not sure of the exact statistics,but it seems I've heard that distracted driving is as bad or worse than drunk driving. That said, clearly seems prudent to enact a law to discourage a dangerous practice.
Schrute Farms
Someone correct me if I'm misreading these events. This law was drafted by CSPD and given to the CoCS without local statistics to back its need?

We may be spending $15k for a law that seems right but has no measurement for its effectiveness?

http://m.theeagle.com/news/local/college-station-city-council-oks-ban-on-hand-held-phone/article_e4894d87-d8d1-591f-9f15-24420e1e4621.html?mode=jqm
Costa and Andreas
I personally witnessed a car in Northgate hit a pedestrian at the 4 way stop at church and Boyett. I watched the whole thing happen. The driver was looking down texting and the pedestrian was crossing the street looking down texting.

After the victim shot up in the air on the hood and then fell on the street, I ran up. Both girls were crying and screaming. It ended up they were sorority sisters and didn't even see each other.

It was very frustrating to honk and yell to get their attention to try to stop it and they didn't react to me. They were too consumed with the phones.

This happened at 10 or 11 am. The girl was walking with her backpack to or from class.

Schrute Farms
The slide show presented by CSPD to the CoCS even states: there is no definitive study that shows the benefit of cell phone regulation.

Everything included national statistics and recommendations. Nothing addressed the actual problem found in College Station (which is why you pass local legislation).

CSPD Slide Show: https://www.slideshare.net/mobile/ColinKillian/wireless-device-driving-ordinance?ref=https://blog.cstx.gov/2016/08/11/live-blog-thursdays-city-council-meetings-august-11/
BMo
A study isn't necessary as far as I'm concerned. I have watched enough of it going on and dodged enough possible head ons to think it's a good idea.
Schrute Farms
quote:
A study isn't necessary as far as I'm concerned. I have watched enough of it going on and dodged enough possible head ons to think it's a good idea.

You don't mind blindly supporting a law that is not proven to decrease any of what you watched?
dv0478
yay, government mommy and daddy to the rescue
LunitadelNox
So did they pass the part requiring two hands to be on the steering wheel?
EVA3
AG
quote:
I personally witnessed a car in Northgate hit a pedestrian at the 4 way stop at church and Boyett. I watched the whole thing happen. The driver was looking down texting and the pedestrian was crossing the street looking down texting.

After the victim shot up in the air on the hood and then fell on the street, I ran up. Both girls were crying and screaming. It ended up they were sorority sisters and didn't even see each other.

It was very frustrating to honk and yell to get their attention to try to stop it and they didn't react to me. They were too consumed with the phones.

This happened at 10 or 11 am. The girl was walking with her backpack to or from class.

Are they also going to prohibit cell phone use while crossing the street?
Science Denier
AG
Lol. great money sucking scheme

1. Thousands flock to A&M for events (sports, kids, etc..)
2. Pass a law just before football season (most travelers) that's not consistent with State law
3. Unsuspecting folks get a ticket for doing something that's legal almost everywhere

I guess if you have an easy target, might as well take their money.

As someone that travels to College Station a lot, thanks for making this know.
Clo004
I like how the article in The Eagle talks about after the school year is over council wants a report on how effective the ban is. I can tell you right now it will not be effective. History has shown hands free requirements do not work. Not to mention every year we get a bunch of new drivers move into town that won't know the law. I for one actually come across very few crashes due to cell phone use.
redd38
AG
quote:
No
SARATOGA
Did they pass the other part ?
Post removed:
by user
Gigem314
AG
quote:
quote:
No
Thank goodness. Would have been a stupid rule.
Science Denier
AG
Fines for driving and using handheld devices
OnlyANobody
quote:
totally in favor of a law against texting (or sexting also) while driving. both hands on the wheel requirement is silly though.

Awe, now you've crossed the line, buddy...
BMo
quote:
quote:

You don't mind blindly supporting a law that is not proven to decrease any of what you watched?
I'll rely on my personal experience over a study. My observations of the reckless behavior are entirely too frequent. Thanks.
UmustBKidding
Who is going to pay for all the hands free radio set in public works, electric, parks and other city department vehicles. And all the comprehensive studies show accidents typically Increase not decrease. This is about safety just about as much as red light cameras were. Its totally about revenue.
agnerd
AG
quote:

And you think a hands-free law would've prevented this even though we already have existing laws requiring drivers and pedestrians to obey traffic signs and signals? If people will disregard one law, what makes you think they won't disregard two laws?
Science Denier
AG
quote:
And you think a hands-free law would've prevented this even though we already have existing laws requiring drivers and pedestrians to obey traffic signs and signals? If people will disregard one law, what makes you think they won't disregard two laws?
Actually, fining folks for using a hand held will keep a lot of people from doing it. Now, I don't know if this will end up helping safety, but it will get a lot of the behavior to stop.

The funny thing is that they say its for safety, but there is no data that supports it being safer. However, it will be a revenue generator for sure. I've seen it said that in a lot of areas that have this law it's not enforced. OK, I believe that. Don't want to get the voters too pissed off, so let's just warn everyone.

In CS, though, I will bet, that it will be enforced on students. There are a lot of them, and they don't vote and they will supply quite a bit of revenue.
rhoswen
AG
Hitting a pedestrian with your car for any reason is already illegal .
aggiepaintrain
AG
Welcome to the People's Republic of College Station.
w8liftr
According to the slideshow on the COCS website, a LEO cannot check your phone to see if you were using it. They can write you a ticket if they THINK you MIGHT have been using your phone. You cannot show them your phone as an affirmative defense.

You also can only use your phone for navigation if you have it mounted on your dashboard.

This is what happens when your city council is made up of a select few do-gooders from the right parts of town. They know better than us, simply because they're in office. It's funny that the majority of the Council claim to be conservatives, they're more actually described as RINOs.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.