Texas Avenue, early 1980s

8,490 Views | 76 Replies | Last: 11 yr ago by Scotch
AggiePhil
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The UtoteM has been several things, most recently Oasis Pipes & Tobacco. I think it was another tattoo shop before Ink Dreams. I believe the one story building just to the east of it is the gas station. The two story building seen behind it may have been part of the Ramada/Plaza property.

Here's a [crudely] labeled photo showing two of the 707 buildings (one of which is now gone), the Pizza Hut, and a couple other structures.

[This message has been edited by AggiePhil (edited 5/21/2013 11:06a).]
taxpreparer
AG
AggiePhil,

There used to be an auto parts store in the two story building next to the little white building.

AG
Found this online:
PS3D
^ Yeah, I scanned that and put that specific image on my blog. That's how I know what it started out as.
Gone
I remember the "P-A-N-C-A-K-E-S" sign too...
Aggie Network
Sponsor
AG
That little Schlotsky's was great. Wish I could remember that couple's name. They were good people.

In the late '80s or early '90s, that Shell station had a giant S H E L L sign. One night the S burned out. Someone took a picture of the intersection and the "H E L L" sign and sent it to the Daily Texan, who ran it with the headline, "Welcome to College Station."

-scot
drivinwest
AG
AN: Gary and Cindy were their names. It was one of the last Schlotzsky's to use the sliding oven trays instead of the conveyors and the sandwiches were so much better.

Really good memories working there.
95_Aggie
AG
Back when their sandwiches were something special, and not just another big chain.
traco
I don't see the Sambo's. When did it close?
taxpreparer
AG
Sambo's was where Cain's is. Closed early 80s I think.
capn-mac
Yeah, Sambos becarm Kerrie's (?) Stacked Enchiladas before being razed.

In that first picture, the low building in front of 707 is the Saber Inn. Which was an "L" or partial "J" one-story motel around a pad lease restaurant location. Which was the original home of Grapevine.

By August 1978, Grapevine had moved to behind the La Quinta on Poplar.

The Saber Inn hung around a while, maybe '81. I've no memory what was in the former Grapevine location at all. The whole lot was razed in '82 (IIRC) with Taco Cabana going in on the pad in the front. The remainder of the property being a succession of restaurants, la Baroneña, CS Seafood, etc. after that.

In '78 there was 'something' where OTB is now--possibly the mirror image of 707. Where the B & N entry is now was the sway-backed building, which, at the time had Papa's Pizza. Which had been Mama's, after they moved out of the building next to what is now Layne's.

Behind Papa's was University Schwinn, which faced onto a generally empty lot, with only the Red Lobster upon it to mark the no man's land which was Lincoln drive (only townies and creepy grad students lived in Eastgate Apartments--visible in the '60s era photo).

The photo series is messing with my mind (what little there is of it) as I distinctly remember the kettle/Pancake house being built at/after the time that the tower was raised over the Ramada, as it seemed odd to have hotel guests traipse past a liquor and a convenience store to get a meal.

But I also have memories of Chimney Hill before it became that, when it was a big grass field with nothing but a small metal RE-style sign vaguely proclaiming "Zarapes" and vaguely pointing towards 29th Street--the only clue left that the place had moved.

But, I'm also an ancient mariner, too--I remember when Southwood Valley was a still-unfilled subdivision, and when both Deacon and Welsh were incomplete streets, too.

When it was Redmon Terrace shooping center because the Redmon Terrace Post Office was there; or Townshire PO, and so on (Even though I cannot remember the name of the PO next to what is now Victor's, before that office moced to Cavvitt Street.)
PS3D
The Sambo's became Wings N More (Wings N Things, originally?) until it moved out in 2002. Then it became Kerri's Stacked Enchiladas. Then it was abandoned, then torn down.
TLIAC
AG
I moved here in August 1979 and Grapevine was still in the Saber Inn on Texas at that time. The grey "sway backed" barn looking structure housed Pasta's Pizza (not Papa's) - I worked there until I graduated from TAMU. The area that is now Chimney Hill had a large general merchandise store called Fed Mart.

[This message has been edited by TLIAC (edited 5/22/2013 10:14p).]
Newbomb_Turk
The "sway-backed" building was originally Oakridge Smokehouse.

[This message has been edited by Newbomb_Turk (edited 5/23/2013 9:55a).]
aggieann
AG
quote:
The Saber Inn hung around a while, maybe '81

Capn, I believe it was razed in about '85. I think the Class of '39 championship football team had their reunions there until about that time.

Also, next to the Oakridge Smokehouse and bicycle shop was the first Charli women's clothing location.
aggieann
AG
Also, just south of the Kettle that drivinwest posted was a fabulous miniature golf course and "Jubilee Junction," a Wild West style theme park.
aggieann
AG
The old Zarape's was in a wood frame building, white and green IIRC, on the land where the China buffet is (formerly the Black Eyed Pea). There was a magnificent old oak right at University, and you drove a bit down a dirt road to get to Zarape.
CEAg78
AG
I think Zarape was a little farther to the east. Maybe where Fox & Hound is.
CEAg78
AG
The Grapevine was the best when it was in the old Saber Inn. Mmmm, sangria and twice-baked potatoes.
Newbomb_Turk
quote:
"Jubilee Junction," a Wild West style theme park.

Wasn't this also known as "Yesteryear" at some point?
aggieann
AG
quote:
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Jubilee Junction," a Wild West style theme park.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wasn't this also known as "Yesteryear" at some point?

Newbomb, I don't know. I living somewhere else from 1977-1984.
aggieann
AG
quote:
I think Zarape was a little farther to the east. Maybe where Fox & Hound is.

I think you're right. I was very young back then!
TLIAC
AG
CEAg78 - I was telling someone else the exact same thing about the Grapevine when we were talking about this thread. It was at it's best when it was at the Saber Inn.
drivinwest
AG
Agree about the Grapevine. Their French onion soup was delicious as well.

We used to get a half pitcher of sangria to go and they would pour it in a large sour cream container.
capn-mac
Now, Rhonda, we all know you are barely 43--that most perfect age in Life, the Universe, and everything--there are those who might think it boastful to speak of being a college freshman at age 8. (I would not be counted in that number.)
<G>
TLIAC
AG
capn-mac LOL I will try to be less obvious when posting about my high childhood IQ. Especially since it has obviously leveled out to a normal range as I have reached my early 40's.
birdman
You can see the roof for Grapevine restaurant in that photo. That is the second location for Grapevine.

It is now the Jewish Aggie Center.
UmustBKidding
Zarape was down the hill where fox and hound was. When that property was redeveloped the anchor tenet was Interurban restaurant.
PS3D
Someone mentioned Hunan in Texas 707? While there looks like a "twin" to Texas 707, it looks like the area where Hunan was WASN'T torn down (first, there's still two buildings, one is behind the other). From a 1989 issue of InSite Magazine, it lists Hunan in being in suite 201A, but 201A is now Clayton Williams Energy.
FlyRod
I ate at Hunan. Many times. The building is still there.
Scotch
AG
quote:
707 did have a twin, or very similar, building. I know there was a Hunan restaurant and Charli clothing in the buildings, don't know which was in which. One building got torn down for the Barnes & Noble / On The Border development.

I am 100% certain there was a building torn down, even if two remain. As I said, I wasn't sure exactly which buildings Hunan and Charli were in, just that they were in the complex.

[This message has been edited by Scotch (edited 5/30/2013 8:40p).]
techno-ag
AG
Hunan's was greatness. We need another awesome Chinese restaurant like that.
PS3D
I didn't doubt that there was a building torn down, it's just that Hunan was not the one. According to Project HOLD, it was originally called "707 Shopping Village" and had somewhat more interesting tenants than today. The third building was probably part of the complex.
birdman
There is only one building at 707 Texas currently. There was a identical building nearby but it was torn down. I think it's where the On The Border is now.

Hunan was not in either 707 Texas building.
Scotch
AG
quote:
Hunan was not in either 707 Texas building.

They were on the second floor. As previously mentioned, they were listed as having that address in a local magazine.

[This message has been edited by Scotch (edited 6/1/2013 7:53a).]
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.