Texas Avenue, early 1980s

8,519 Views | 76 Replies | Last: 11 yr ago by Scotch
AggiePhil
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Originally built in 1972, 707 Texas Avenue today consists of seven buildings across three phases or sections: A (one building, nearest Texas Ave.), D (one building), and E (five smaller buildings). I can only assume that phases B and C existed but were torn down at some point. Phase B was probably Phase A's twin, torn down in 1996/1997 to make room for On The Border.
Tailgate88
AG
Audio Video was one of the buildings torn down at 707, and Hunan was upstairs in the building to the left of where On the Border is today.
EVA3
AG
quote:
Even though I cannot remember the name of the PO next to what is now Victor's, before that office moced to Cavvitt Street.)

Ridgecrest
EVA3
AG
quote:
The old Zarape's was in a wood frame building, white and green IIRC, on the land where the China buffet is (formerly the Black Eyed Pea). There was a magnificent old oak right at University, and you drove a bit down a dirt road to get to Zarape.

I remember this too, although as mentioned, it was further east. IIRC, there were trees hanging over the road and entrance. As a kid, I remember it feeling kind of spooky on the way to Zarape.
Tailgate88
AG
Ddp

[This message has been edited by Tailgate88 (edited 6/1/2013 5:27p).]
capn-mac
Thank you so very much Eva--
Memory of the station name was mixed up with remembering what was next to the video store (anyone remember the creepy back room? <G> ).

That, and Midwest Cable was over there, with Community across the street ("Solar Tint" building). Then Community moved in after they merged, then became Cox, before moving out to 29th.
PS3D
Saber Inn looks like it should be in the first pic--it has the same address as Taco Cabana. Julie's Place should be in the early 1980s pic as well (it was open in 1985, don't know when it closed)
Scotch
AG
I'm pretty sure I see the Julie's Place(later Bombay Bicycle Co. and now Denny's) building. It is harder to see without the greenish roof, and also is farther back from the road than you would think because Texas Ave. was not as wide.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.