"Come see my dad.."

13,742 Views | 92 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by AgFan131
CharlieMac
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Are you MORE or LESS likely to go to a business with a cute kid telling you to "come see their dad.." ?

Just my observation, that local commercials are trending that direction.

What say you?
AgResearch
AG
I tend to avoid them. My family has a business and I really despise that tactic of commercialization.
mason12
jopatura
AG
Tend to avoid them, but only because the businesses that use that tactic are by and large ones I would avoid anyways.
techno-ag
AG
I still remember PawPaw in Tomballllllll Texas.
Kitten With A Whip
The only person I've seen pull it off was Jimmy Copeland in Tomball with his little grand daughter. He added the other grand children as they came along and I still remember the mans name, the names of his various dealerships, his grand childrens names and where the business is located, twenty years later. I always like their commercials.

I never bought a Dodge from PawPaw because we're not Dodge, Chrysler, Plymoth drivin' people, but I did buy a Ford from Henson Ford, in Madisonville. They had a similar commercial for a while, but I can't really say it was the commercial that brought me into the showroom. It was the fact that they were willing to play ball and give me a good price.

I'm not too sure a commercial will convince me to buy anything, anywhere, but good commercial will cause me to remember you when I want something you might have to sell, kids or no kids.

When I think of Dodge, Chrysler Plymoth, I think of PawPaw in Tomball.
When I need furniture, I think of Matress Mac at Gallery Furniture in Houston, who btw, is about to sell me about four grand worth of furniture.
AggiePhil
AG
Don't do it Charles!
Summer Breeze
AG
I have no idea who it's for, but the radio commercial where the dad says his kids keep arguing over whether people are looking for a good price or good service drives me nuts. The little kids come on at the end and start saying "price" and "nice" or something like that. Every time I think, "There is no way those kids sit around arguing about price vs. service." It's not cute.
AggieBB
AG
Team Auto Nastysota
Charlie Hodge
The only time it purposely drove me away was the mattress company that featured that kid Dylan. He had some kind of catch phrase at the end of the commercial "I guarantee YOU, buy from ME, or my name isn't blah, blah, blah."
Jetty
AG
I can't stand those ads!
Mantis Toboggan, M.D.
Fletch_F_Fletch
AG
"My paw paw fix cars for college people."

I want to strangle this girl, and her paw paw, every time I hear this commercial. It actually makes me less likely to use their services.
jemma4116
I vote NO!!!
TKDMom
I can honestly say that the only one of those that I ever liked was the one for Mattress Factory where the kid said at the end the you'd get the best price there or his name wasn't Marshall Dillon. We bought several beds from them over the years. We were repeat customers because of the quality, but the first commercial caught our attention enough to check them out.

BTW: I thought the Nice/Price debate was from the dealership on 290 in Brenham?
DakotaAg01
OnlyANobody
quote:
I tend to avoid them. My family has a business and I really despise that tactic of commercialization.

This.

And remember, you are the only one who thinks that your kids are as adorable as you think they are.
Tariny
I like most of the commercials, as long as the kid doesn't look too tortured. I LOVED the PawPaw and Amanda commercials, I thought they were very cute and well done. It was also nice seeing Amanda grow up over the years - we even got to see her kids!

However, the Nice/Price commercials are very annoying. I don't think it's the kids' fault, I think it's the lousy material they are given to work with.

From another prospective, my dad had a medical practice near Dallas. I remember going to the movies with him during one of my summer visits and seeing one of his commercials on the big screen. All went well until I noticed this other little girl in the commercial. Now keep in mind that I was youngish and my parents had went through a divorce, but I was really hurt that my dad used some other kid in his ad instead of me.

**Edited to actually answer CMAC's question, lol. I can't say the commercials made me want to go to the business, but it certainly made me remember them. I think though that I didn't go to these businesses because I didn't have a need for them. However, if someone were to ask me where they could find a Dodge - my first answer would probably have been PawPaw! Hope that helps.

[This message has been edited by Tariny (edited 8/11/2011 9:56a).]
aggiepaintrain
AG
Paw Paw did it right, no one else has come close.
farmersfight
AG
i remember the paw paw commercials...
sneedvaark
Poor Amanda - probably still having a hard time living down the singing paw-paw commercials.

Also - I will NEVER give my business to someone with an ad where they are shaking a finger at the camera (in my face). Reminds me too much of my drunken father.
doubleE
I grew up in a family business and while we didn't have commercials, there were 4 of us girls always around the store. By no means were my parents exploiting us, but there were several men who liked to come in just to see which of us were working and to chat...and buy hundreds of dollars of scratch off lottery tickets so they had an excuse to stand at the counter....

But to answer your question, I am not going to give someone my business because they have a kid in their commercial. In fact there are a couple on the radio that I switch stations when I hear them come on because their voices annoy me.
barbara314tx
They annoy the heck out of me. I understand that they probably get a kick out of having their kids/grandkids on their ads, but they are really kinda hokey. Wouldnt keep me from going their, but really don't like them.
techno-ag
AG
Almost all TV commercials are annoying to one extent or other. Thank God and Tivo for fast forward buttons. Local commercials are particularly annoying. But, they don't bother me since I can ignore them or fast forward through them. If a local business person wishes to use family members, I say let them.

I couldn't fast forward through PawPaw's commercials back in the day, but I would have if I could have. I'll say this, they had staying power. When I meet folks from around here, or used to live around here, I always ask if they know PawPaw.
quirkyaggie
AG
Rules for a CharlieMac commercial:

1. Don't be in it. You scare people and will likely knock over the camera crew with your wildly enthusiastic hand gestures.

2. Don't use your kids. They aren't cute little babies anymore, they are wild boys that take after their father most likely.

3. You might want to go either with your wife, who could sell sugar to a diabetic or a tall redhead with huge....eyes.

4. And this...the most important thing...it stars the egg salad. Maybe even the redhead IN the egg salad. (Brad probably won't go for that last bit though.)
Some Other Guy
I remember those Pawpaw commercials. Always ended with all the kids trying to talk in unison, but all you can make out was "RAGNAHHBLAHBLAH SEE PAWPAW!!"

A commercial that makes me laugh is one I tend to remember more.
spike427
AG
child labor
TooTall 06
AG
My wife and I support this message! Hate those commercials.
techno-ag
AG
Re rules for a Charlie Mac commercial ...

Just show close ups of the food. People will come in to try it based on that alone.
notyourmomma
I don't think I am ever truly convinced to purchase anything based soley on a commercial.
That being said the Nice vs Price ads drive me NUTS and I cannot wait for it to end (nothing turns me off to something more than arguing children) but I love the ad for the Mobile home place on 21, its a radio ad and there is only the little girl at the end who says "Come see my daddy" and "Gig Em Aggies" she says it too stinking cute!
originaltexan
Po Po (paw paw)was 100% effective.

come buy a car from my paw paw in dodge city
Some Other Guy
Rip this off: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HnFkGFfIhNM

Seriously though, something like the slider bar promo on your Facebook page will work. Heck, there's a Stover Bros banner ad at the bottom of the page now, just add some nice music to it and you're set. It's an eatery, the food should do all the talking.
theNetSmith
AG
20+ years = trending?
AggieBB
AG
quote:
BTW: I thought the Nice/Price debate was from the dealership on 290 in Brenham?

Nope. Team Auto in Navasota. Mike Vivaldi's kiddos.
doubledog
quote:
Are you MORE or LESS likely to go to a business with a cute kid telling you to "come see their dad.." ?

Some commercial strategies the do not work (at least for me).

1. Cute kids hawking cars, furniture etc.
2. Owners/managers pointing at the camera during the commercial.
3. Owners/managers with greasy hair telling me that they have the best deals.
4. Owner/managers with no public speaking experience starring in their own commercials.
5. Anyone name "repo" joe.

and so on.

Feel free to add your own examples.

Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.