"Come see my dad.."

13,695 Views | 92 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by AgFan131
Naveronski
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I like how CharlieMac has become a BSC board meme.
Naveronski
AG
And commercials where the business owner uses their kids = fail. Your kids are horrid to listen to. You'd better have good prices and nice people, or you wouldn't be open, much less have money for a commercial.
PseudonymK
AG
Commercials in this day and age are annoying, unless you can come up with something really original and funny.
CharlieMac
I'm in the "price" camp, btw.
My wife is in the "nice" camp...
We always argue...."Nice."... "Price."
That's a typical evening at our house.
Please hurry up SEC FOOTBALL!!!!!!
CharlieMac
What's a meme nav??
Naveronski
AG
Here's the general idea, but you're a bit more specialized:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_meme

For instance, the crazy cat woman e-Harmony video:

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/eharmony-video-bio#.TkRrB2-a8mc

[This message has been edited by Naveronski (edited 8/11/2011 6:59p).]
smilin bob
quote:
Commercials in this day and age are annoying,

They may be annoying but everybody sure remembers them and this entire thread is devoted to them.
smilin bob
quote:
but I did buy a Ford from Henson Ford, in Madisonville.

Why would anyone buy a car from a family who rides HORSES in an ad for their CAR dealership?
PseudonymK
AG
I'm thinking about the commercials that would have a feature on the greatest or most shocking commercials shows.
SolidT05
AG
quote:
there were 4 of us girls always around the store. By no means were my parents exploiting us, but there were several men who liked to come in just to see which of us were working and to chat...and buy hundreds of dollars of scratch off lottery tickets so they had an excuse to stand at the counter....

That sounds creepy.
smilin bob
I remember one of the Jimmy Copeland commercials with his daughter while she was pregnant with Amanda asking,

"Would a pregnant woman lie to you?"

SoTXAg09
AG
No go on the ads with children. I'll specifically avoid that company for such little originality. Plus they're beyond annoying.
aggiegal99
Commercials with owners' kids in them are only slightly less annoying than cell phone greetings with the person's kid leaving the message. Ugh.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
quote:
"3. Owners/managers with greasy hair telling me that they have the best deals."

Why did Jon Hildebrand with Caldwell Country IMMEDIATELY come to my mind when I read this?
jeremyd
AG
Definitely less likely. Just because you think your little rugrats are adorable doesn't mean that everyone else will think so. Leave your offspring at home and pay for some real advertising.
Tagguy
AG
Id go if Laura McIngvale was there...

PoohAg95
AG
The real reason the Jimmy Copeland commercials worked is because the first one had the little girl who could just barely say “Come see Paw Paw” when she was a baby. And they didn’t just run that commercial over and over. They followed her as she grew up and she (and then the later grandkids) became part of the Microplex’s TV family.

Good marketing takes years to establish. That’s why to this day those Copland commercials (and to a lesser extent the Marshall Dillon commercials) are so it is so remembered by people.

Putting your kids on a commercial to try to catch attention is just tired, especially somewhere like here because EVERYONE does it. And viewers are much savvier now. It doesn’t work as well anymore.
Anonymous Source
S
The "nice v. price" argument would be over if one of those kids would simply headbutt the other one.

Gig 'Em
CharlieMac
THAT is exactly how my wife ends our Nice vs Price "conversation"..
83RHG
Deal is...no one's ad good as they think they are, nor are their kids. It just looks like exploitation if kids are on camera and tells you nothing about the business. All the local folks doing ads that show them trying to act or be your nice neighbor would get my business if they just stuck to the facts. The brazos valley carpet outlet folks do a good job I think.

Sorry..."as" good...

[This message has been edited by 83rhg (edited 8/13/2011 4:59p).]
Villager
quote:
The "nice v. price" argument would be over if one of those kids would simply headbutt the other one.

quote:
THAT is exactly how my wife ends our Nice vs Price "conversation"..
Marooned_n_Aggieland
Bring back Peewee and Larry Byrd (sp?). Does NOT get "better" than those two.
spicyitalian
AG
I find the NICE/PRICE commercials dishonest. Mike states that his kids are always arguing about nice vs. price, blah blah blah when we all know that they have no dog in that fight and really don't give a squirt of cream about it.

I will not do business with someone that is blatantly dishonest.

Also his kids are annoying, like all kids in commercials, even the Copeland grandchildren. I even lived in Tomball at the time and found them horrid.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
i cross off any establishment that has the 'come see my dad' type ad or even have their own kids in the ad at all.
Kitten With A Whip
Wow... I had no idea people had such disdain for children!
SumAggie
I love children (have three and four grand children) but the commercials with kids are STUPID! Only commercials worse than those are the stupid commercials with Ed Wren. Cant stand them and switch when they come on.
Kitten With A Whip
I'll agree that some of those types of commercials are sort of stupid/annoying, but IMO, most of them are fine. The way I see it is that they are local, family run businesses. If that is how they want the public to perceive them, including children/grandchildren is perfectly fine if its done well.

To me, Jimmy Copeland [PawPaw] did it well. He started with a young, cute grand-daughter who referred to him as PawPaw. He became known as PawPaw to all of us over the years and he added each additional grand-child as they came along.

The Mattress Factory, in my opinion, did it right as well. From beginning to end, the owner's son Marshall was the face and the voice for those commercials, with a pretty decent tag line... "Blahblahblahblah... or my name ain't Marshall Dillon".

In my opinion, those two examples are the way to do it right. Those who just toss one or more of their kids/grand kids in the commercial without any clear reason to have them there, is something entirely different. Either way, I don't hear many in this thread distinguishing between the two, so to me it sort of comes off as a general disdain for children.

Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
i will never ever purchase from the 'nice/price' people simply cause that commercia is so bad and those kids are beyond annoying. i dont care if they give me a discount of $2,000. dude needs to know that his commercial is the suck.
CharlieMac
Holy smoke!! I struck a nerve.. Y'all hate car dealers!!
Naveronski
AG
If you think that's something, make a thread asking about tow truck drivers.
techno-ag
AG
Or shopping carts.
cfs12
+1 for SumAggie. Those stupid climatemasters ads are the worst ever. I cannot change the channel fast enough.
HomerSimpson
Old people in BCS tend to like that kind of stuff.
SlimM
AG
Wait wait wait...are you guys saying that little girl in the Pawpaw commercials has kids of her own now? I feel really old.

luvmydoc
I'm with you Orlando.
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.