Outdoors
Sponsored by

Home Defense

7,719 Views | 118 Replies | Last: 9 days ago by John Cocktolstoy
aggiepublius
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Will also add in additional to motion detector exterior lights, you can easily set up a panic option.

With smart home tech - (Siri, Alexa, Home Assistant, etc) you can easily turn on every light in the house instantly if you think that is benficial. Or turn them off.* You could even add the ability to set off all the smoke detectors.

When I was single, I also always knew I had the option to retreat - escape out a window. The calculus often changes when you have a family but nothing wrong with retreating if that is safer than getting into a firefight. It is about preserving life.

*I've seen varying opinions at which is better in a home invasion scenario and there are pros and cons to both.

And if you expect the invaders possible could be barefoot,

F4GIB71
I did not intend to have that sentence in bold type but I do also have a light on the gun
F4GIB71
FamousAgg
300BO with a can is my plan, 9mm if I can't get to the BO fast enough
suburban cowboy
AG
Beretta 1301
B&T APC9 Pro
JFABNRGR
AG
My two cents:

Mindset. Try to live your life somewhere between what you are doing now and what you would be prepared for if you knew your home was going to be broken into by armed thieves at 3am, in 6 months to the date and the only resources available to you were internal to you and your family.

what good is any weapon and amount of training if someone kicks in your door while your watching aggie baseball from your recliner, if said weapon is on the nightstand locked up. Be Disciplined.

The Four Pillars: AWARENESS, DETERRENCE, AVOIDANCE, TRAINING.

Some tidbits:

We cannot predict the time, place, or nature of the arrival of evil.

Security is a TEAM effort (include your 5 year old).

All weapons for home defense should have a mounted light.

Dogs are great. 1+ inside AND 1+ outside is far greater.

Motion detection lights are very cost effective.

Avoid being a target by never flaunting off your women or your gold. Extend this warning to your kids to never share what valuables may be in your home.

Conduct yourself in a manner that your neighbors, friends, coworkers, and all 3rd parties who come and go from your home, KNOW you are prepared to execute FAFO with extreme prejudice. This will prevent conversation that ends up targeting your home.

Look at your home and property from a thiefs or rapists perspective from the street and from the approach to All your doors. Then make changes to deter them from choosing yours. Do this in both the day and night to include watching how your wife and kids ingress/egress the home from a watchers POV. Ie are they aware and do they limit vulnerability.

If its just you and your wife. Barricade in place, one call 911, other focus on the funnel of death. Coordinate with arriving LEAs. Your 60" smart tv isn't worth a gunfight.

If you have children. Practice various scenarios. Building clearing even in your own home is very difficult, and you will find this is best done with a pistol w a light on it.

There is always more…..study Sun Tzu, Jeffrey Cooper, and the Bible…..and Bender's posts regarding firearms.

“You can resolve to live your life with integrity. Let your credo be this: Let the lie come into the world, let it even triumph. But not through me.”
- Alexander Solzhenitsyn
BenderRodriguez
AG
jwoodmd said:

Not trying to impose a criteria at all. Was/is a serious question. We all talk about this subject and it's extremely important. Was just seeing how common/uncommon it is and whether anyone who had had this happen to would share their experience(s)

Gotcha.

Thankfully numbers are going to be super low. Chances of experiencing a home invasion if you arent actively involved in the drug trade, followed home from bank etc are minimal.

Didn't think about it at the time but my recommendation to start with a pistol and training probably comes from my own experiences, because both of my near misses with random violence have come while out and about in public, not at home.

When I was 18 I got cut off and boxed in on a two lane narrowing to one lane road by a road rager who then got out of his truck and tried to drag me out of my car. Car doors were locked and he gave up and drove off. I kept a Kabar under the seat from then until I got my chl and a handgun.

A couple years ago I was walking my dogs in my nice secluded neighborhood one evening while it was still light out, around 8 pm. I turned right that night. Had I turned left as I do about half the time I walk dogs, I would have walked up on my neighbors house being broken into on the back cul de sac. They weren't home and I don't know if the burglars were armed when they broke in, but they did leave that house with several stolen guns. I was carrying my handgun, as I now always do.

You never know when you're going to stumble across violent idiots.
BenderRodriguez
AG
BenderRodriguez said:

https://www.ar15.com/ammo/project/Self_Defense_Ammo_FAQ/#RifleAmmoDocGKR

Really worth taking the time to read

Quoting myself because its really, really good info on how and why to select self defense ammo.
schmellba99
AG
1Aggie99 said:

Good lord... you win, we disagree!

As you mentioned, there are ways to modify to make them more effective a close range. I have one built for SD that we have modified, feel comfortable with, and trust myself a hell of a lot more than I would trying to put a dot on someone at 3am jumping out of bed. My wife and kids know how to use it and feel good with it. That's all I care about.

Obviously you disagree. Great. I hope whatever any of us use, if that situation ever presents itself, works and the good guys walk way unharmed.

Good logic... hope I never get the chance to prove you right or wrong!

Its a message board. Of course we sre all going to disagree to some level or another.

My point is simply to try to get you or anybody else to think, because what you imagine in your head and reality are, most of the time, vastly different scenarios. Thats not knocking you or anybody else, that is just acknowledging reality and realizing that every single person had limitations and that they need to be honest and frank about those limitations.

The idea of having enough time and wherewithall and cognitive ability to:

1. Wake up
2. Realize and comprehend what the situation is
3. Be able to roll out of bed and be alert and have clear enough mental capacity to implement your action plan
4. Have the fine motor skills needed
5. Remember your training (if any), grab your weapon and move to a defensive /offensive position (all assuming ypu have no kids in other bedrooms here) and
6. React appropriately

All with a thousand things going through your head and adrenaline pumping through your veins exacerbating what is already a tense situation;

AND think you have enough time to worry about trivial things like ear mufs (and turning them on at that) - it really isnt as realistic as you think.

Now, you may be the 1 in 100,000 absolute badasses that can do all of the above inside of a handful of seconds and if you are, more power to you and tell me when you are providing a training seminar.

But the reality is that you likely arent able to do everything you think you can in the time necessary. Extraneous things need to be shed and only the basics focused on. Because ish happens fast - much faster than you think. A second or two is an erernity and an infinite amount of bad things can happen in that second or two.

I have had to wake up in the middle of the night before, it isnt fun. It takes longet than you think to process the situation. At least it did for me. And that was without needing to follow through after grabbing my weapon.

I would bet that the vast majority of everybody would have a hard time reacting in the daylight when you know it is coming and can mentally preplan.

My super had to put an intruder in his house down a while back. By the time he realized what was going on, the crackhead was in his house, and ultimately he had to put 2 rounds into him. He said things went so fast he had a hard time being able to go step by step when the police arrived. He smoked the guy in the hallway outside his daughter's bedroom door. A few seconds and who knows what would have changed.

You do you, just be 100% honest with yourself and 100% honest with your limitations. We all like to think we would be calm and cool and collected and handle a situation like that in a manner that would make Seal Team 6 proud. I would bet a great deal of money that reality is far different, and want you (collective) to think in a thread like this. Thats all - think and ve honest with yourself.
schmellba99
AG
agsalaska said:

schmellba99 said:

agsalaska said:

Rockdoc said:

agsalaska said:

docb said:

Are we really concerned with hearing loss issues in dealing with an intruder? I mean come on.

Says someone who has never dealt with tinnitus.

It is absolutely 100% a real concern for anyone who is not willfully ignorant of the long term consequences of it.

If you can do things to mitigate hearing loss like suppress or use longer barrels or subsonic ammo or whatever then do it.

A couple of shots out of a 10.5inch AR in an enclosed room has the real possibility of ruining your quality of life. Why do that when you could use something else that is also effective.

Exactly. I have tinnitus so severely the ringing masks what else is going on in the house. If I fire a shot without ear pro then I'm done for. The intruder could be standing right behind me and I wouldn't know it. When I put on electronic ear pro with the sound cranked up, I can hear everything going on in the house and the ringing seems diminished. I'm not getting up with or without gun to check on something without it.

Yep. I wish I was still naive enough to pretend it didnt matter in an HD situation. I can no longer go to concerts, race tracks, even indoor basketball games are a no go.

Using an AR pistols for HD without a can is the dumbest thing someone could possibly do.
Nahh.

Dumbest thing one could possibly do is nothing, or be so worried about tinnitus at 3am that they waste time fumbling around with hearing protection while a bad guy is doing bad guy things.

But you do you, we all get to make those choices at least.

Yep. You are perfectly allowed to be as dumb as you want. That much is clear.

BTW, my personal first choice weapon is suppressed.

But if it werent, it would still be my choice regardless of noise. Because my kids and family living tumps a few decibel reduction with a suppressor.

Like i said before - you do you.
1Aggie99
AG
Reading is hard. I don't recall referencing earmuffs in any post.

All good
agsalaska
AG
schmellba99 said:

agsalaska said:

schmellba99 said:

agsalaska said:

Rockdoc said:

agsalaska said:

docb said:

Are we really concerned with hearing loss issues in dealing with an intruder? I mean come on.

Says someone who has never dealt with tinnitus.

It is absolutely 100% a real concern for anyone who is not willfully ignorant of the long term consequences of it.

If you can do things to mitigate hearing loss like suppress or use longer barrels or subsonic ammo or whatever then do it.

A couple of shots out of a 10.5inch AR in an enclosed room has the real possibility of ruining your quality of life. Why do that when you could use something else that is also effective.

Exactly. I have tinnitus so severely the ringing masks what else is going on in the house. If I fire a shot without ear pro then I'm done for. The intruder could be standing right behind me and I wouldn't know it. When I put on electronic ear pro with the sound cranked up, I can hear everything going on in the house and the ringing seems diminished. I'm not getting up with or without gun to check on something without it.

Yep. I wish I was still naive enough to pretend it didnt matter in an HD situation. I can no longer go to concerts, race tracks, even indoor basketball games are a no go.

Using an AR pistols for HD without a can is the dumbest thing someone could possibly do.
Nahh.

Dumbest thing one could possibly do is nothing, or be so worried about tinnitus at 3am that they waste time fumbling around with hearing protection while a bad guy is doing bad guy things.

But you do you, we all get to make those choices at least.

Yep. You are perfectly allowed to be as dumb as you want. That much is clear.

BTW, my personal first choice weapon is suppressed.

But if it werent, it would still be my choice regardless of noise. Because my kids and family living tumps a few decibel reduction with a suppressor.

Like i said before - you do you.

Yep. Like I said, we are all allowed to be as big an idiot as we want to be.
The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you never know if they are genuine. -- Abraham Lincoln.

Elko is a loser and we will be buying him out for some obscene amount of money in two years. - Agsalaska

Bradley.Kohr.II
AG
A) Where do you live/how do you live? (Ranch, suburbia, condo, alone, wife, children, do you wear glasses?)

B) Level of proficiency/interest in being proficient? As Bender said, an AR is really easy to learn to use. An AK MIGHT be a little simpler, but the ergos on an AR are really good.

A shotgun is great, but it takes a lot of practice to run well/many of them really are not built to run hard. (I haven't competed in years, but they used to break fairly regularly in 3 gun.)

If you are married, what is your wife willing to learn/can learn to handle? (I'm sure a woman can be taught to handle an SBS 12 gauge loaded with slug and buck, but I don't know many who are interested in doing so.)

C) I like the door reinforcement idea.

D) How do you plan to have it in your bedroom? Personally, I like a hard mounted retention holster and a pistol. (I don't keep my pistol where I keep my glasses and phone. I am a fan of keeping your phone/glasses if needed/emergency medication etc in dedicated spaces)

E) I think someone posted years ago about kids having a way to get into their bedroom, without going through the hall - also seems like a good idea.

Personally, I have mostly shot 1911s. I can't see worth a darn, but I can get green laser grips for them.

( If I could get laser grips for a P7, I might use one of those. They are being made again, and other than the weight, they are an incredibly good carry/nightstand gun)

An SBR AR with a can, is probably the best thing for most other environments. (I have a Kel-Tec bull pup to play with, because I like the compact envelope, with the longer barrel, but I'm not sure about the reliability, and the ergos are definitely different than an AR.)
JeremiahJohnson
AG
Another thread that went exactly as I expected it to.
John Cocktolstoy
AgRN16 said:

John Cocktolstoy said:

Shotgun is all you need, lots of great choices on them too. Don't shoot through walls and ruin your life and someone else's.

FALSE. Buck Shot and Slugs both will absolutely go through walls. If you use buckshot, stick with 8 shots per shell or less. 9 has more propensity for random fliers.
That was a warning son, damn near everything goes through walls.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.