Outdoors
Sponsored by

What's everyone do for a living?

24,909 Views | 214 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Wooahhhh
CowtownAg06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Hoyt Ag said:

I manage 3 coal power plants and a solar field. Will be out of a job in 2028 when coal goes bye bye if any needs a good facility leader. I don't like what I do, but it's fantastic money and allows me to retire by 50. Those that know me personally say i am good at what I do, but i dont exactly look forward to work each day. The time off is great though, about 7 weeks a year. Typing this from Lamai Beach in Thailand, currently.

I also guide on the side, partial ownership of a small business in town, and a rental house owner.
Which plants if you don't mind me asking? ERCOT may keep you wound via RUC if you're lucky.

I trade gas and power.
evestor1
Tony Franklins Other Shoe said:

evestor1 said:

Propoane and Propane accessories!
Hank would NEVER misspell Propane, Gas of the Gods.
i realized i was first to claim that profession and i was rushed to get in while the job was vacant!
CS78
GentrysMillTX10 said:

I drove an A&M bus in my undergrad years.

If CS78 is who I think he is, he taught me to drink rye whiskey…
Ha! Didnt realize this was you. I was just telling a buddy last week about you trading me a cleaned axis doe for a case of beer. Best trade ever.

I worked for the bus system on campus for a while. During those same years, I bought and sold a number of houses and some small acreage. Now I manage my own rent houses around B/CS and tinker on hunting properties.
TRL-Ag
A buddy of mine might be in the market for a few fallow in the near future.
The Fall Guy
AG
Aerial mapping
LRHF
AG
Reformed oil and gas worker turned fishing guide and small business owner.

Had a great trip on the San Juan River yesterday.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C7E9l-GuoMl/?igsh=MWl5Zzlua290enFncg==
Mondemonium
I work for the ATF and come to conservative websites to update our government's watchlist database.
Mondemonium
Caesar4 said:

ttha_aggie_09 said:

On a serious note, I work in BD...
Just curious...what is BD?
Bondage Dominatrix
daniel00
AG
Pastor.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Mondemonium said:

I work for the ATF and come to conservative websites to update our government's watchlist database.
buzzardb267
AG
The Fall Guy said:

Aerial mapping
User name DOES NOT fit!
"ROGER - OUT"
87Flyfisher
AG
I was an Entomologist with a large pest control company for a few years after graduating from A&M. Then "A River Runs Through It" came out and my part time fly fishing guide business quickly became full time.
Guided and taught fly fishing classes for almost 30 years and then managed fly fishing lodges in Montana and Belize. Semi retired in North Arkansas now, fish a lot and do some field testing for fly fishing companies ( and distilleries).
BartInLA
I'm in the monkeying around business and business is good.
Lonestar-aught-six
Mondemonium said:

I should give you my address! I have dogs!
aTm2004
AG
My primary job is doing lighting services for adult film sets.

On the side, I'm a supply chain manager for a company you've heard of.
Ag83
AG
87Flyfisher said:

I was an Entomologist with a large pest control company for a few years after graduating from A&M. Then "A River Runs Through It" came out and my part time fly fishing guide business quickly became full time.
Guided and taught fly fishing classes for almost 30 years and then managed fly fishing lodges in Montana and Belize. Semi retired in North Arkansas now, fish a lot and do some field testing for fly fishing companies ( and distilleries).
Do you still do any fly fishing guiding by chance?
axan77
AG
WestTexAg12 said:

Medical device sales.

Sometimes I wish I had something different because I hate being tied to major metroplexes.

It's A good paying career, but I want to live away from cities.
Friend of mine, originally a Texan, does what you do. About 15 years ago he moved to Whitefish MT and is doing very well there. Has to do some traveling in the state of course, but it's not big cities. Pacemakers and defibs I believe. Loves it there.
Hoyt Ag
AG
Eh I won't say on here. Not opposed to moving back to Texas but it is far far down the list. Currently reside in Colorado.
87Flyfisher
AG
Not currently. I intend to eventually start back offering a few trips a month.
FTAC2011
AG
I work in medical device sales. If you ever get a colonoscopy in the Houston area, I might be in the procedure room.

I also invest in real estate.

And finally, I have my own business selling luxury watches (and jewelry to a smaller extent).

4 kids and a wife means I have lots of bills to pay.
DiskoTroop
Regional facility and energy manager. Many other hats but that's my current title.
87Flyfisher
AG
Colonoscopies and wrist watches; is this a picture of you?
Ag83
AG
Thanks - I may hit you up sometime in the future if you're back into it. Fly fishing has always been a bucket list item for me.
87Flyfisher
AG
The Outdoor Board and my best client list will be where I announce my return to the guide life.
abileneag09
AG
Hoyt, we run in similar circles. I work with several power plants in Colorado. Can you email me? User name at gmail
Jbob04
AG
Plant manager for a construction materials company. Hate it
Big Bucks
AG
Used to work for a Generation & Transmission Cooperative in Texas, now work for one in another state. Can't say I miss the Texas weather.
clarythedrill
I retired after 30 years and 24 days in the Army as an Armor guy.
BCStalk
Now I run a local leather holster company. Definitely a different trade than I have been in. I worked as a machinist for almost 20 years and a millwright for over 10. Did a lot of work for power plants from Rockdale to Horseshoe Bay and quite a few in between.
CowtownAg06
AG
Hoyt Ag said:

Eh I won't say on here. Not opposed to moving back to Texas but it is far far down the list. Currently reside in Colorado.

Totally understand.
CowtownAg06
AG
Don't know where that emoji came from.
average_joker
AG
I am pilat pilyot pileit
I fly the plane
agfan2013
AG
I work for farmers & ranchers brokering Ag commodities and helping them hedge production by trading on the CME.

Met one of the famous OB posters from the valley that farms through my work, even though he's not in my territory. His short bus for tailgating thats parked at our office blocks the view from one of my windows…
reproag
AG
No secret for me. I work in sales at Appel Ford in Brenham. Before that I was a directional driller for almost 12 yrs. Before that I used to clone animals in a lab at A&M. Also starting a small woodworking business in my "spare time". CS78 was kind enough to let me and my oldest daughter hunt his place by Summerville. Daughter was able to get a doe and still talks about it to this day.
Muzzleblast
Happily retired from a 40 year career with Big Oil. Worked my last 24 years in Africa.
Loved my work, glad I'm done. Too much airplane time.
Live on my farm in N. Grimes County.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.