Outdoors
Sponsored by

What's everyone do for a living?

24,527 Views | 214 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Wooahhhh
one safe place
How long do you want to ignore this user?
i am a retired CPA, had my own practice for over 30 years. Before college and during summers while at A&M I worked as a derrickman on workover rigs and drilling rigs. After graduation, I went to work for a Big 8 accounting firm but quit after four months and trapped for the winter. Made more per month doing that than in accounting.

Father-in-law was class of '38, I am class of '78, my wife is class of '79, and eldest granddaughter is class of '26.
Mr. Dubi
I am in the people business.
Dogdoc
AG
Ummmmhhhh….. username…..
rak1693
AG
I'm an industrial engineer by title but I handle bids/proposals/contracts now at a Fortune 50 company. I'm not a regular on this forum like others but I come over from time to time.
FirefightAg
AG
^^^^

Got into this 13 years ago after following a bioenvironmental science degree into a Power Plant. Worked at a desk and needed something completely different. A 22 yo add kid doesn't belong at a desk job. Pays poor, schedule and time off is amazing.
Max06
AG

up-n-aTm
AG
Retired in July at age 58. Hunt and fish as much as possible now. Also do a lot of yard work.
Todd 02
AG
eric76 said:

Todd 02 said:

I'm a garbage man.
I produce garbage.

I would kindly request that you and others keep doing so.

Makes for great job security!
Trolley Problems
You're in IB/PE/HF too?
AGS749901
I'm jOe bIdEnS speech writer and speak coach. Most people say I'm doing an awesome job..
iamtheglove
Just retired after working in sports television for most of my career. Was an executive in charge of game production for a group of regional sports networks and spent time in Houston, New York and Seattle. Now back in Houston and very happy to be back in the Lone Star state.
buzzardb267
AG
If I tell ya, I'll have to kill ya!!!

Retired civil engineer. Retired at 60, realized my job was my hobby, and have worked hurricane relief, substitute teaching, tax prep, campground host, construction management, and maybe another job or two in the last 18 years.

After I retired, I decided to try some of those jobs that you tell yourself you would like to do, but couldn't take the pay cut. Once you retire, the pay isn't important. I went into Silverton, CO looking for some part-time work while we spent the summer up there. I came back and told my wife that I was going to be a back country guide (I owned an ATV and was very familiar with the jeep trails). She asked how much it paid and I told her I didn't even ask...I would have done it for free!
"ROGER - OUT"
agenjake
I convince clients to pay me to make sure water runs downhill. And I'm pretty good at it.
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
evestor1 said:

Propoane and Propane accessories!
Hank would NEVER misspell Propane, Gas of the Gods.

Person Not Capable of Pregnancy
B-1 83
AG
Retired USDA agronomist. On the side I write waste management plans for ag and municipal wastes - when you think of animal waste, think of me!

I also write wildlife management plans for tax valuation and land improvement purposes
Being in TexAgs jail changes a man……..no, not really
1988PA-Aggie
Currently an unemployed custom cabinetmaker. (unemployed trades guy, huh?)

(Back story...)

Wife and I downsized a year and a half ago. We had owned and rented out a 40 yr old 1500 sq ft house on a lake in the Pocono Mnts of PA for many years. Tenants lease was up so we moved in to see if we liked living here full time. I started fixing up the place. We realized we liked the area a lot so we decided to put an addition on. The plans kept growing (yikes!), we're adding around 3200 sq ft, that includes the garage (500 sq ft) and my eventual wood shop (600 sq ft).

Wife works from home and has been doing very well in her job. So she makes the money, and I save us the money GC'ing and building the addition. Not easy to find people to do certain types of work in this area, but found a good excavator and concrete guy. Will farm out the plumbing, some electric (panel), roofing, and sheetrock. Will likely do the rest myself.

Gotta get to work!
schmellba99
AG
Hoosegow said:

I'm a professional babysitter. I baby sit my boss and my boss's boss. I babysit my peers. I babysit the 90ish guys working for me. I sit down and tell people why they should show up to work and why they don't get promotions for not showing up to work. Recently I've switched from being the go to guy for my boss to where all I say now is "Whatever you think." They aint getting the best out of ol' hoose anymore. I gave my best for too long for nothing in return. Oh, and I play a lot of games on my phone while half paying attention to meetings. Basically over the last year or two, I've become a world class slacker.
Same here.

Also add the following:

• Therapist
  • Financial Advisor
  • Life coach (In the "don't do the dumb things I did" way)
  • Mentor (which means I get to corrupt newbies, but at least I get to corrupt them my way)
  • Whipping boy
  • Fixer of engineer's dumbass designs

That's all a description for an old guy at a general contracting firm that does large civil/mechanical/municipal projects. I question my life choices every day.
Back2Back
AG
Professional Land Surveyor here
docb
AG
If you ask me I'd say full time surgeon and part time fisherman. If you ask my wife she'd say part time surgeon and full time fisherman.
Hoyt Ag
AG
Let me know when you are back SS. Would love to meet up and have a beer. Email in profile.
docb
AG
sounds good
Guitarsoup
AG
I shoot people
pdc093
Small bznz owner in ship repair industry.
LoudestWHOOP!
AG
I tell people to do this all day
Corps_Ag12
AG
I build swimming pools
rather be fishing
AG
Land a recreation management in Montana. If you can deal with pissing the public off on a regular basis, it's a great job.
Mr. Big Time
Bluegrass Drummer
Caesar4
AG
ttha_aggie_09 said:

On a serious note, I work in BD...
Just curious...what is BD?
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Business Development aka Sales
aggiekevo
AG
Environmental permitting and compliance for an oil and gas company.
Fishing Fools
I help feed people.
SGrem
Walked away from my big dog engineering career in 2016. Now my full time job is all side hustles....
Charter Captain
Duck hunting guide
Trailer repairs
Equipment operator services - spread dirt, backhoe service for ditches or drainage or pond bank maintenance etc , trenches, spread rock for driveway etc, plug aerator service, stump grinding, spread fertilizer or seed. Etc
Mow big yards.
Manage my rent houses
Premium hoofstock - raise red stags and fallow deer for hunting lodges.
Haul horses or other livestock - small scale (two horse draft size trailer).
Deliver boats - captain service.
Captain Air boats for environmental service company or surveys etc.

Basically anything to keep from having to get a real job....and make the equipment I already own pay for itself.
HarleySpoon
AG
Retired Baylor football coach. I now spend long vacations with my boyfriends.
RCR06
AG
Been in safety 14 years, basically since I graduated from A&M. Started out in ship repair, then went to construction and now I'm at a chemical plant. I make good money and normally have a good schedule, every other friday off. In April I worked 25 nights(1 night off in the middle) for a plant turnaround/outage. As several have said, I often question my life decisions that got me to this point.
WestTexAg12
AG
Medical device sales.

Sometimes I wish I had something different because I hate being tied to major metroplexes.

It's A good paying career, but I want to live away from cities.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.