Outdoors
Sponsored by

Who Would You Put on the Mt. Rushmore of Texas Country Music?

3,401 Views | 56 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Hoosegow
TshirtVulture
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Lots of great talent to pick from but my initial thoughts are: Waylon Jennings; Willie Nelson; Don Williams; and George Strait.
SanAntoneAg
AG
Just say no to Pat Green.

Page two and no mention of Billy Joe Shaver. Blasphemy.
Gig 'em! '90
44mAG
AG
Lots of comments on here mentioning country music singers from Texas. I feel like a lot of them aren't really what's known as Texas Country Music.

I would put Randy Rogers Band and Wade Bowen up there. Those two really pushed the "Texas Country" genre into what it has been for the last 20 years.

Others for me would be REK, Charlie Robison, and Roger Creager.
bam02
AG
Truce!
1990Hullaballoo
AG
Bob Wills - for all you young uns - look how many top hits he had and over how many decades. No one better.

Willie
Ray Price
George Jones
George Strait
Waylon

TXAG 05
AG
Windy City Ag said:

Quote:

Speaking of phenomena, there's also the one known as "Texas Music." Green, and to a lesser degree Cory Morrow, are the figureheads of this new wave, fancying themselves as following in the steps of Walker, Keen, Nelson, and Guy Clark. "Texas Music" has even become a radio format of sorts, with a weekly chart published out of Houston. Problem is, even though these artists continue multiplying their audience, in a critical sense, they're no Guy Clarks. There are just too many clichd lyrics about Texas and drinking whiskey set to recycled country-rock riffs done better by someone else.

Keen, for one, has distanced himself from Green & Co. The man who penned the "The Road Goes on Forever" ("and the party never ends") recently referred to Green, Morrow, and their ilk as the "the devil's spawn" in the Houston Press.

https://www.austinchronicle.com/music/2001-10-19/83357/

Whoever wrote that article obviously hadn't listened to either Pat or Cory. It was the flood of people that came afterwards that were cliche. Anybody that could halfway play a guitar put a band together thinking they could be the next big thing came out and wrote a bunch of crap songs about getting drunk, and none of those guys made it because they sucked.

Someone who hasn't been mentioned is Max Stalling. Doesn't really fit what the OP is asking for, since I wouldn't call him iconic, but Max is one of the best out there.
Windy City Ag
AG
Quote:

Whoever wrote that article obviously hadn't listened to either Pat or Cory. It was the flood of people that came afterwards that were cliche.
My recollection of that time was different. Most of the ire was put towards Pat Green and Corey Morrow got heat because he was a distant #2 in popularity at the time.

I remember this article from Texas Monthly.

https://www.texasmonthly.com/arts-entertainment/with-envy/

Quote:

Not everyone was impressed. The reviewers from the alternative-weekly magazines began slamming GreenRob Patterson went so far as to equate his rabid audiences with the crowds at Nuremberg ralliesbut that was probably to be expected.

What was surprising was that some older Texas musicians got in on the act. Robert Earl Keen told Patterson that he felt ambivalent about having inspired Green and the new group of singers like him. Charlie Robison, the popular 37-year-old country singer from Bandera (and husband of Dixie Chick banjoist Emily Robison) bluntly told the Austin Chronicle that Green's music was not for "educated people or real music fans." On his Web site, charlierobison.com, Robison also went after the entire new breed of Texas musicians. "I have problems with the current endless crop of people who pick up a guitar and a week later have twenty songs about Texas, Texas, Texas, beer, beer, beer, tacos, tacos, Guadalupe, Gruene Hall, UT, UT, A&M, A&M, etc.," he wrote. "This is whoring a music I hold dear. If you ranch this land, grew up ranching it, and your family fought for its independence, as my family and I have done for 150 years, then you too would be insulted by people who take advantage of the Texas name and flag for financial gain."

In the end who cares but there were lots of folks during his initial rise to popularity that found him to be a bit of a fake.

I am sure Green was too busy playing gigs to care.
TXAG 05
AG
Charlie Robison's quote is dead on what I said about all the guys that sprang up right after Pat made it big.

Go back and listen to the old albums. There is a lot of good stuff there and none of it fits the let's go get drunk and party stuff that they get associated with. Cory gets a little silly with stuff like Big City Stripper, but redeems himself with the Outside the Lines album which is solid from front to back.
agsalaska
AG
SanAntoneAg said:

Just say no to Pat Green.

Page two and no mention of Billy Joe Shaver. Blasphemy.
The Waco from Waco!!

The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you never know if they are genuine. -- Abraham Lincoln.
DatTallArchitect
AG
Bob Wills
Ray Price
Guy Clark
R.E.K.
GSS
Texas Hank Thompson...George Strait's first ever duo song was with Hank!
NRA Life
TSRA Life
BiggiesLX
TXAG 05 said:

Charlie Robison's quote is dead on what I said about all the guys that sprang up right after Pat made it big.

Go back and listen to the old albums. There is a lot of good stuff there and none of it fits the let's go get drunk and party stuff that they get associated with. Cory gets a little silly with stuff like Big City Stripper, but redeems himself with the Outside the Lines album which is solid from front to back.

Nightmare is a great Pat song and explains his musical inspiration. ****, Robison had a bunch of cheesy songs in Barlight, life of the party, and even REK's Copenhagen and Buckin song are cheesy. I'd assume these guys are pretty competitive and lose sight in sharing fans so words get thrown around.

Thats why I appreciate Steve Earle's style, he can be in the gutter like Townes was or jam out to get his fans going. I dont think he ever talked too much **** about his peers either.
SanAntoneAg
AG
BiggiesLX said:

TXAG 05 said:

Thats why I appreciate Steve Earle's style, he can be in the gutter like Townes was or jam out to get his fans going. I dont think he ever talked too much **** about his peers either.

That's because Steve is too busy talking about Steve.

Gig 'em! '90
O.G.
Some don't understand the difference between Texas County and artists that are also FROM Texas.

It's not a slam on them, its more of a generational thing.

I was in a staff meeting at one of the local radio stations in BCS once and they'd hired a consultant/expert to tell them what they needed to do. They.Paid.A Lot.Of.Money. for this guy. & he had no clue what Texas Country was.

He said, "you mean like George Strait, Clint Black, those guys?" No. So, it's difficult for some to "Get it".

George Strait, George Jones, Bob Wills, Willie Nelson are all from Texas but they are not "Texas Country".

Side note: I told the radio station then that they needed to lean heavily into Texas Country/Red Dirt and far less Nashville. But what did I know? I'd only lived in BCS 20yrs at that point and lived amongst the natives. I couldn't possibly know what I was talking about.........since then a full time Texas Country Red Dirt station has popped up because there was definitely a void to fill.

Mine on Rushmore:

Pat Green
Roger Creager
Ragweed
Charlie Robison
MyNameIsJeff
AG
O.G. said:

Some don't understand the difference between Texas County and artists that are also FROM Texas.

It's not a slam on them, its more of a generational thing.

I was in a staff meeting at one of the local radio stations in BCS once and they'd hired a consultant/expert to tell them what they needed to do. They.Paid.A Lot.Of.Money. for this guy. & he had no clue was Texas Country was.

He said, "you mean like George Strait, Clint Black, those guys?" No. So, it's difficult for some to "Get it".

George Strait, George Jones, Bob Wills, Willie Nelson are all from Texas but they are not "Texas Country".

Side note: I told the radio station then that they needed to lean heavily into Texas Country/Red Dirt and far less Nashville. But what did I know? I'd only lived in BCS 20yrs at that point and lived amongst the natives. I couldn't possibly know what I was talking about.........since then a full time Texas Country Red Dirt station has popped up because there was definitely a void to fill.

Mine on Rushmore:

Pat Green
Roger Creager
Ragweed
Charlie Robison

This x100. I love George Strait, but he's not "Texas Country". He's just country and from Texas.
AgCMT
AG
If you were at A&M in the mid 90's you probably saw Pat Green open up for anyone that would let him. I saw him several times back then and he was usually playing REK covers along with some of his stuff. Of course several years later he's headlining the Houston Rodeo, so he was doing something right.

I guess my Mt Rushmore for Texas country:

REK
Townes
Bingham
Charlie Robison
Steve Earl
Hoosegow
Jerry Jeff was a New Yorker and got his start as a folk singer before coming to Texas. Love him to death, but him not cutting his teeth in Texas would keep him out of my "Texas" mount Rushmore of music. Plus his most iconic song - London Homesick Blues - was actually written and sung by Gary P. Nunn. It was part of the Viva Terelinqua live album and that was Gary P singing.
TXAG 05
AG
Hoosegow said:

Jerry Jeff was a New Yorker and got his start as a folk singer before coming to Texas. Love him to death, but him not cutting his teeth in Texas would keep him out of my "Texas" mount Rushmore of music. Plus his most iconic song - London Homesick Blues - was actually written and sung by Gary P. Nunn. It was part of the Viva Terelinqua live album and that was Gary P singing.

A lot of Jerry Jeff's most popular songs aren't his.
Desperados waiting for a train
LA Freeway
Up against the wall Redneck mother
London Homesick Blues
What I like about texas
ds00
BiggiesLX said:

TXAG 05 said:

Nightmare is a great Pat song and explains his musical inspiration. ****, Robison had a bunch of cheesy songs in Barlight, life of the party, and even REK's Copenhagen and Buckin song are cheesy. I'd assume these guys are pretty competitive and lose sight in sharing fans so words get thrown around.

He talked about Hayes Carll after he married his ex-wife.
BiggiesLX
Oof. Steve has a crazy story being that his upbringing didn't have red flags yet he started shooting up at a young age and hitchhiked to Nashville instead of staying in high school.

The Mercenay song with him jamming out with Rodney Crowell and Guy Clark back in the 70s is the ****, though.

AgCMT
AG
Man that's a great song. I had a roommate in college that always played Billy Austin after a late night on Northgate.

The dude had/has some demons. I thought his son was even more talented. It's a shame he couldn't shake the drug bug running the Earle family tree.
Hoosegow
Yah, I think he only wrote like 4 songs.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.