Outdoors
Sponsored by

Who Would You Put on the Mt. Rushmore of Texas Country Music?

3,455 Views | 56 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Hoosegow
TexAgs Sponsors
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
AG
From TexAgs Sponsor, Troubadour Festival:

Around this time last year, I posted about this performance of "Boys From Oklahoma" by Cross Canadian Ragweed and friends at Shadow Canyon (now Shiner Park) in Northgate. I mentioned that I would show this video to anyone who would ask me to define Texas Country/Red Dirt Music.

That got me to thinking for this year … if you had your own Mount Rushmore of Texas Country/Red Dirt artists or bands, who would be on it?

At first, the possibilities seem endless. Not to mention, the lines have blurred in recent years between what is Texas/Red Dirt Music and what is generally "accepted" into the scene.

But there are some that stand out to me. Hell, even a few of them are in that video. Cross Canadian Ragweed were nothing short of rock stars at their peak, and their continued cult following will make them legends in the scene for years after we're all gone.

Then you have other staples who date 20-plus years: Randy Rogers Band, Jason Boland and the Stragglers, Wade Bowen, Stoney LaRue, Robert Earl Keen, Charlie Robison (RIP), Pat Green, Mike McClure, Reckless Kelly, and the list can go on.

Do you include some (relatively) new names who have vaulted to superstardom, a la Turnpike Troubadours, Koe Wetzel, Whiskey Myers, Cody Johnson, Cody Jinks, Parker McCollum, etc.?

Who would be among that iconic four in your mind?

Before I share mine, I'll provide full disclosure: I'm 37 years old, so humbly class of 2004 coming out of high school. I didn't jump on the Texas/Red Dirt train personally until a few years after college, but spent many years around it with my family (specifically my big brother) being all into it during those formidable years.

Remember: This is all in good fun! We're all not going to agree, and our definitions of what is considered Texas/Red Dirt might vary. But the fun part is seeing what artists/bands define us in our music tastes.

With all that said, here's my Mount Rushmore.

Cross Canadian Ragweed. The dramatic breakup and urban legends that followed the end of Ragweed only adds to their legend, but there's no denying the stake they set for the present and future of Red Dirt Music. Those guys were absolute rock stars. They hardly received any radio love outside of college stations in Oklahoma, and "17" remains one of the most iconic anthems in the scene's history.

Turnpike Troubadours. Turnpike is my all-time favorite Red Dirt band and epitomize the meaning of firing on all cylinders when it comes to songwriting, mastering instrumentation, and a killer live performance. Did their legend grow because of the hiatus? Probably. But to me that doesn't change the kind of impact Felker and Co. made on the scene.

Robert Earl Keen. One of the greatest songwriters in country music history, period. REK is one of those who never had and never will have the kind of commercial success as his peers, but you can bet anything every single one of them points to REK as a major influence on their lives and careers.

Pat Green. PFG was one of the first to lead the raucous college country bar scene into the stuff of legends in the 1990s and early 2000s. He put out hit after hit after hit and was easily the biggest name in the scene at his time. The "sellout" label has thankfully chilled these days, since practically every artist is doing or is trying to do the thing people grew to hate Pat Green for. But no matter your stance, you can't deny his stature. For the record, I love "Wave on Wave."

And yes, we are EXTREMELY stoked to have Pat Green on the lineup at Troubadour Festival at Aggie Park on May 18. Here's my shameless "Buy Tickets" plug … you can buy them here.

I almost regret doing this, because that was TOUGH.

But now I gotta know, who's on your Mount Rushmore?

Answer below and I'll pick a winner to receive four Music Tickets to Troubadour Festival.

Congrats to "Gator_2" on winning two BBQ & Music tickets from our last post. Shoot me a DM and I'll get you squared away.

We'd love to see y'all out there for an even bigger and better year at Aggie Park on May 18. Tickets are on sale right here.

Thanks y'all!
Chase Colston
one safe place
Can't think of anyone. Still contemplating who the most beautiful girl in the world is.
MyNameIsJeff
AG
REK and Pat Green were the two I thought of right off the bat.

Then it get's a little less clear. Charlie Robison, Randy Rogers, Cory Morrow, Roger Creager... There's a ton out there that could fill the other spots.
Stringfellow Hawke
AG
Cory Morrow
Pat Green
Mickey and the Motorcars
Radney Foster
BlueMiles
AG
Bob Wills
George Jones
Ernest Tubb
Willie Nelson
MAROON
AG
Bob Wills
George Jones
Willie Nelson
George Strait
BlueMiles
AG
I realize the contest is over but wanted to play.
Buford T. Justice
AG
Willie Nelson
George Jones
Waylon Jennings
Ray Price
Keith Whitley
"Gimme a diablo sandwhich and a dr. pepper...to go"
swampstander
AG
Townes Van Zandt
Funky Winkerbean
AG
Jerry Jeff Walker
Pat Green
REK
ZZ Top
Sarge 77
MAROON said:

Bob Wills
George Jones
Willie Nelson
George Strait

That's for Texas Country Music.

All of Country Music has to include Hank Williams.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
Willie
Jerry Jeff
Robert Earl Keen
Pat Green
TwoTimeAg
AG
Any list without Bob Wills and Guy Clark is incomplete
BMo
Bob Wills
George Jones
Willie Nelson
Steve Fromholz
Gunny456
AG
Bob Wills- He started it all.
Jim Reeves.
Ray Price
George Strait
George Jones
Waylon Jennings
SunrayAg
AG
Bob Wills
George Strait
Jerry Jeff Walker
Waylon Jennings
Ragoo
AG
There are too many and you almost need sub-genres

Texas Swing:
Bob Wills
Asleep at the Wheel
Two Tons of Steel
(Place holder)

Folky/Blues
Jerry Jeff Walker
Ray Wylie Hubbard
Robert Earl Keen
Charlie Robison

College Revival:
Pat Green
Cory Morrow
Blue Edmondson
Roger Craeger

Bonus:
Mike McClure
Stoney Larue
Kevin Fowler
Jack Ingram

Band:
Cross Canadian Ragweed
Reckless Kelly
Randy Rogers Band
Jason Boland and The Stragglers

There are another 20-30 worthy of mention

Ragoo
AG
Here is my Spotify station

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/0Y8k7q8IgTZ6OD3FpylEfy?si=ecKZvE0HTNalDZVdTDVgPQ&pi=u-HaJuIbbIQHuB
Windy City Ag
AG
Pat Green and Corey Morrow and the rest always seemed like cliche ridden imitators. I am not sure if they merit even top 10 status much less Mt Rushmore.

TXAG 05
AG
Ragoo said:

Here is my Spotify station

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/0Y8k7q8IgTZ6OD3FpylEfy?si=ecKZvE0HTNalDZVdTDVgPQ&pi=u-HaJuIbbIQHuB

That's a good list. Maybe a little heavy on "new" Pat Green. Just about every Texas country playlist on Spotify is full of garbage like Josh Abbott and Parker McCollum and not worth listening to.
Ragoo
AG
Should only have 3 Days and maybe Wave on Wave (song no full album). I do t have any George's bar or early Pat true. Tried to keep it to stuff I heard on KNBT from 2000 to 2004 with a few later songs I liked added in. You should see a lot of random artists probably few have heard like Nathan Hamilton, Darrell Scott, Troy Johnson, Mark Selby, Kentucky head hunter, Brad Davis, Rod Picott
TXAG 05
AG
I was just messing with you. Wave on Wave is good album even though that was when he started selling out and wearing womens jewelry and stuff. Even though it's 20 years old, in my mind it's still his "new" album.
Mr. Big Time
Bob Wills
Lefty Frizzell
George Jones
Johnny Bush -- Was Ray Price's drummer early on.
Ernest Tubb
Ray Price
Willie Nelson -- Was Ray Price's bass player when he first moved to Nashville.
Duckhook
AG
I agree with a lot of these. But not one mention of Gary P Nunn? He would be on my Mt. Rushmore.
bam02
AG
Willie Nelson
Jerry Jeff Walker
Robert Earl Keen
Gary P. Nunn.

Hard not to include Joe Ely.
CE Lounge Lizzard
AG
Mr. Big Time said:

Bob Wills
Lefty Frizzell
George Jones
Johnny Bush -- Was Ray Price's drummer early on.
Ernest Tubb
Ray Price
Willie Nelson -- Was Ray Price's bass player when he first moved to Nashville.

If I'm not mistaken, at one time or another, the following were all members of Ray Price's band The Cherokee Cowboys:

Willie Nelson
Johnny Bush
Darrell McCall
Johnny Paycheck
Roger Miller

To me, that's a pretty good list.
bam02
AG
Windy City Ag said:

Pat Green and Corey Morrow and the rest always seemed like cliche ridden imitators. I am not sure if they merit even top 10 status much less Mt Rushmore.

Pat Green is very talented and was very good in his day. He got a little full of himself but he was legit good. Cory Morrow is authentic and continues to put out a great product. This is a terrible take.
Windy City Ag
AG
Ehh.... it us a generational thing I think. Most of the real old school Texas singers saw through the shtick pretty quick. REK himself found that crew of wannabes singers annoying.

Pat and Corey lived off of high school kids and 20 somethings and.....not surprisingly.... when that crowd grew up a bit they declined or vanished.

They were the K-Pop version of the real soul of the state.
bam02
AG
Not really. Please show me a quote of REK having any beef or complaint about either PG or CM.

Yes they both were lucky and rode that crazy wave of popularity in the late 90s and early 2000's, but they were both instrumental in that craziness, too. Cory Morrow especially has a unique sound and a great band and still puts on a great show.
Windy City Ag
AG
Quote:

Speaking of phenomena, there's also the one known as "Texas Music." Green, and to a lesser degree Cory Morrow, are the figureheads of this new wave, fancying themselves as following in the steps of Walker, Keen, Nelson, and Guy Clark. "Texas Music" has even become a radio format of sorts, with a weekly chart published out of Houston. Problem is, even though these artists continue multiplying their audience, in a critical sense, they're no Guy Clarks. There are just too many clichd lyrics about Texas and drinking whiskey set to recycled country-rock riffs done better by someone else.

Keen, for one, has distanced himself from Green & Co. The man who penned the "The Road Goes on Forever" ("and the party never ends") recently referred to Green, Morrow, and their ilk as the "the devil's spawn" in the Houston Press.

https://www.austinchronicle.com/music/2001-10-19/83357/

bam02
AG
So no quote?
Windy City Ag
AG
He called then the Devil's Spawn??? Reading comprehension.
bam02
AG
Seems like an indirect quote the way it's written. I highly doubt REK said that about them. I put REK in a who higher stratosphere than Green and Morrow, but there's no way he said that directly about them.
Windy City Ag
AG
It was in parentheses so a direct quote.

We should agree to disagree. Pat Green is a lightning rod.. don't think we are going to change each other's minds here.

We should go fret A&M losing to Houston.

Truce?
ShackelfordAg99
bam02 said:

Windy City Ag said:

Pat Green is very talented and was very good in his day. He got a little full of himself but he was legit good.
No. He's trash. Resonated with HS and college drunk kids at the time (me included) but that's about it. Talent level = low.

Corey is a moderate notch above.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.