Outdoors
Sponsored by

What's your emergency power outage solution

5,703 Views | 54 Replies | Last: 5 mo ago by AgGrad99
kyledr04
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
DeBoss said:

How much propane would a whole home generator go through in a day? I have a 250 tank but was wondering if I only ran my heat and a couple of lights how long it would last.

I've tried to do the math before plus a few days experience. It'll use 2-4 gallons an hour depending on load. I feel like if it's full it would go about 3-4 days. Our supplier is good about filing up and working overtime during outages. If I know a cold snap is coming I get it refilled. I probably need to do that soon anyway.

Last time I got in bind was from a spring time storm that knocked down lots of trees. But they got me filled up
SGrem
24kw Generac
I have two 250 gallon tanks. You quickly realize that a backup generator as great as long as your tank is full when the generator comes on. So I got two tanks.....cuz I know me and if I had a 500 I would just wait till it needed a fill.... now when one tank runs out I open valve on second tank and put in an order for a tank fill.....so k always always have at least 250 gal.

Also....I keep three extra sets of oil change supplies cuz if the thing is running 24 hours a day and needs an oil change every 100 hrs.... well gonna have to change the oil on there sometime. So I have two weeks worth of oil changes.
jamey
AG
oklaunion
DeBoss said:

How much propane would a whole home generator go through in a day? I have a 250 tank but was wondering if I only ran my heat and a couple of lights how long it would last.
Look at the spec sheet on what you are interested in. Most manufacturers list the consumption at full load and at 1/2 load.

Example:

0l0665_ecogen-15kw-sell-sheet.pdf (generac.com)
SGrem
And FYI according to Generacs consumption chart a 16kw and a 24kw use very very similar at half and full load....so you are not saving fuel by going smaller. See consumption chart in middle of this page.

https://www.easternpropane.com/generators/
rather be fishing
AG
Power went out earlier this morning and still waiting for it to get fixed. 7" of fresh snow today I think and high winds likely brought limbs down. Filled a couple of coolers at the office with water to flush toilets. We'll be in the negatives the next 3 nights so hoping they get it fixed quickly.
rather be fishing
AG
Power back on. 10 degrees outside and dropping fast. Glad we don't have to go Donner Party this weekend.
schmellba99
AG
I'm on the same grid as a Centerpoint maintenance center and office. My power comes on pretty quickly in the rare occasions it goes out.

Just topped off my propane tank, so I'm pretty set.

Other than that:

MouthBQ98
AG
Have a generator and a wood stove and a huge supply of post oak. Been looking at upgrading the generator to an inverter type.
Cromagnum
AG
5500 Watt Honda with interlock on my breaker. Can run everything except the central AC. Furnaces are propane so powering the fans aren't that big of a deal.
GeorgiAg
AG
AgResearch said:

Propane whole home generator, propane heat, 1000 gallon propane tank, and my family does propane deliveries.
This you? This is a PROPANE EMERGENCY!!!!

MyNameIsJeff
AG
Head to the in-law's. Currently in an electric only rent house.

Home we're building will have propane generator backup and a fireplace with several acres of oak to cut.
GeorgiAg
AG
I have a gasoline generator - after some "negotiation", I got the electrician to install a suicide plug outside to plug it in to. I forget the wattage, but that will power most lights, Starlink, tvs, computers, one of my water heaters, refrigerator, microwave and my electric stove. I just need to make sure to stock up on ethanol free gas before any really big storm.

I have a Buck wood stove with a power fan in the basement fireplace that will crank out the heat. That room is my movie room with eight reclining chairs (prior owner left them) that are really comfortable. They are a little too comfortable. I have yet to watch a movie without falling asleep.

With the Buck Stove cranked wide open with a full load of wood burning, you would need to wear shorts and a t-shirt to not get hot. I have the Model 81. A load of wood will last most of the night. There is a Model 91 that cranks out more heat, but my chimney sweep guy said it would be too hot. He's definitely right on that.

I'm considering getting another Buck Woodstove for the main floor fireplace.

https://buckstove.com/model-81/
https://buckstove.com/model-91/

I have a propane Blackstone and a couple propane burners if needed to cook. Also have a propane Mr. Heater that I bought an attachment for a regular size propane tank that I can heat other small areas if need be.

In my barn, I bought a kit that converts two oil drums into a woodstove. You stack them sideways. The bottom drum is the fire and the top is used to capture more heat.

Mr. Heater

https://www.amazon.com/Mr-Heater-F232000-Indoor-Safe-Portable/dp/B002G51BZU/ref=sr_1_5?hvadid=616991337737&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=1015332&hvnetw=g&hvqmt=e&hvrand=12813464084360499563&hvtargid=kwd-88228640&hydadcr=26614_11715055&keywords=mr%2Bheater&qid=1705072184&sr=8-5&th=1
HarleySpoon
AG
Generac 24.5KW whole home automatic propane backup generator with cut-off switches to only run one HVAC system at a time. 1,000 gallon propane tank filled to 90% one day ago. 24/7 should go for about 12 days at full load. However, I will limit using clothes dryer and oven.
Hoss
AG
After the snowpocaplypse I bought a 13,000 watt portable generator and installed a transfer switch. It will run on gas, propane, or natural gas and I installed a natural gas connection at the house if needed.

It hasn't been tested with the heat/A/C running, but I know it will power my entire house with everything on (including a few space heaters).
Hoss
AG
tking3444 said:

I have 2 gas-powered generators. Unfortunately, if you dont run them routinely, they wont work when you need them. So, currently i have 2 heavy useless generators. I will have to replace carbs and such to get them back in shape.
I set a reminder to myself to crank mine on the first Saturday of every month and let it run for 20 minutes or so.
schmellba99
AG
tking3444 said:

I have 2 gas-powered generators. Unfortunately, if you dont run them routinely, they wont work when you need them. So, currently i have 2 heavy useless generators. I will have to replace carbs and such to get them back in shape.
This weekend seems like a really good opportunity to run them and service them if necessary. That's just me thinking out loud though.
GeorgiAg
AG
tking3444 said:

I used some carb cleaners and nothing seamed to work. Then I bought one and it started with all this black smoke coming out. Worked like a charm. I can't remember the name of it, but it was in a blue can.

I start mine regularly now and run for a few minutes. Then I shut off the fuel and kill it just before the engine dies. I just trickle charged the battery for a couple days too. It has a pull start but electric start is so much easier.

If I remember, I'll post what I used that worked like a charm.
aggie_2010
AG
Our home is heated by a gas furnace, but it requires some electricity to ignite the gas, power the thermostat and fan to move heated air through the house. As you would expect, when we bought the house there was a dedicated 120v line from the panel hardwired directly into the heater/AC unit in our attic. I disconnected this line from the unit and installed a single receptacle outlet at its end. I then installed a heavy gauge plug coming out of the AC/heater unit and plugged it in to the mentioned receptacle to power the unit. Now, whenever there's a power outage I can unplug my heater from the grid and plug it into an extension cord that I run to my small portable generator outside. My generator is rated for 2,300 starting watts. Wish I had more available watts, but it's enough to keep the house warm and water pipes from bursting.
AgGrad99
AG
Fireplace and blankets.

This is Texas. It lasts a couple days
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.