Outdoors
Sponsored by

What's your emergency power outage solution

6,017 Views | 54 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by AgGrad99
jamey
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Say winter 2020 hits again and the power is off for most of a week. At my house we had 9 hrs of electricity over 5 days and it sucked. I don't want to experience that again in a house with no gas

Anyone ever use a kerosene heater? I got a Dyna-Glo 10K btu convection heater that will heat about 500 Sq ft on 1 gallon of kerosene for ~12 hrs. That should heat living room at least to the point I can't see my breath

For the bedroom I got a my buddy flex that will heat 200 Sq ft or so for about 70 hrs on a tank of propane

Last in my list is a small 2500 watt generator for small appliances, toaster oven and such, perhaps a tiny electric heater

Wodanaz
AG
Spray & pray.
redaszag99
Lead

AgResearch
AG
Propane whole home generator, propane heat, 1000 gallon propane tank, and my family does propane deliveries.
Aggie Infantry
AG
- Generac 22KW with 1000gal propane
- Water well with solar pump
When the truth comes out, do not ask me how I knew.
Ask yourself why you did not.
oklaunion
Before we had central air/heat, our living area was heated with a Kero-Sun kerosene heater. It was quite serviceable and will keep you comfortable with no power. We still have it and another one stashed in case we lose power, along with around 15 gal of kerosene.
Ctree
8500kw portable generator with a transfer switch on the breaker. 500 gallon propane tank with gas water heater, stove top, and fireplace.
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
AgResearch said:

Propane whole home generator, propane heat, 1000 gallon propane tank, and my family does propane deliveries.

Any propane accessories?
fulshearAg96
AG
I've been looking into portable battery's with solar for around the house - bluetti, ecoflow, etc. my biggest challange is figuring out what battery type is right. and no i am not a tree hugger.
JeremiahJohnson
AG
I have a Honda 2000 generator, a Goal Zero yeti 3000 and Stack of firewood.

A few propane stoves and lanterns
snowaggie
A 400 pound woodstove rated for 2000 square feet in a 800 square foot house and a pile of 18 inch wood as tall as the roof.
CS78
Buddy heaters with 20lb bottles. Make sure to use the filters. They run forever on low. More than one in case you have issues.

Crawfish pot and burner for hot water.

One of the best things you can do is stay busy.

Great time for a late season walk in the woods/ hunt.

Do some cooking. Gumbo, chili, etc.

Around B/CS, there's dead post oaks laying everywhere you look. Cut and split firewood and get to burning.

Make sure you have a good supply of whiskey and make use of some prime cuddle time with the wife.
AgResearch
AG
Charismatic Megafauna said:

AgResearch said:

Any propane accessories?

Water heater and range top
drummer0415
AG
Installed a 50amp generator inlet to backfeed my entire electrical panel, and bought a multi fuel inverter generator to plug into to.

My setup is not quite as convenient as a whole home backup with ATS and all that, but it cost me 1/6th of what that kind of setup costs, and will accomplish what I need.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
2018 Dodge Ram with a 25 gallon gas tank. We will drive to where there is power, just like last time. I can buy plenty of hotels, meals and stuff for the price of a nat gas generator.
bam02
AG
4500 watt dual-fuel inverter generator for small appliances and electronics, a couple of large propane heaters (we only had one during that freeze and it was a lifesaver), several 20# propane tanks (should get more), and chingos of firewood.
SockDePot
drummer0415 said:

Installed a 50amp generator inlet to backfeed my entire electrical panel, and bought a multi fuel inverter generator to plug into to.

My setup is not quite as convenient as a whole home backup with ATS and all that, but it cost me 1/6th of what that kind of setup costs, and will accomplish what I need.

Same here. I have 2 x 7.5kw tri fuel generators. Paid a plumber to put in 2 natural gas hookups outside.

For heating purposes, will run whole house on one.

Put in a separate breaker sub panel with connection at ac compressor. Also installed a soft starter that brings the LRA startup amps down to +/- 30 amps.

In power loss in hot condition will run second generator dedicated to ac compressor / garage appliances.

All in spent 3k.

Hoyt Ag
AG
Similar but I also keep 2 cords of wood at all times for heat.
jamey
AG
Hoyt Ag said:

Similar but I also keep 2 cords of wood at all times for heat.

We have a fireplace even though we have no gas but it's a fireplace that looks like it's made for gas and fake gas logs. It's probably not even a 1.5 feet deep. Bottom line I dont think of it as a real fireplace
Hoyt Ag
AG
That's a shame. I live in CO and have a grand fireplace. About 5ft wide, 4ft tall. It heats the majority of the house once going good, minus the basement. I can keep a infrared heater on in the basement and it keeps it warm enough to keep it about 60*at all times
tking3444
AG
I have 2 gas-powered generators. Unfortunately, if you dont run them routinely, they wont work when you need them. So, currently i have 2 heavy useless generators. I will have to replace carbs and such to get them back in shape.
MAROON
AG
My next door neighbor has a generator- we hear it test itself every Monday at 2:00. They've apologized for the noise. We've told them no need, because when the real event hits we are moving in with them.
What do you boys want for breakfast BBQ ?.....OK Chili.
rather be fishing
AG
Wood stove and 8 cords, 9500 watt Westinghouse, river frontage and snow to melt, propane grill, pantry full of preserved produce from the garden.
AGSPORTSFAN07
AG
rather be fishing said:

Wood stove and 8 cords, 9500 watt Westinghouse, river frontage and snow to melt, propane grill, pantry full of preserved produce from the garden.
You're living my dream!!!
Apache
AG
Any reason the following wouldn't be a decent solution for keeping the house warm?

Our fireplace is the typical suburban type (runs on gas) and according to Mythbusters, probably draws more heat out of the house than it produces.

My thought was to buy a small wood burning stove & some flexible chimney liner pipe to have as backup heat source. If we ran out of propane or wanted to conserve it, we run the flex liner up the existing chimney & fire up the wood stove. I figure I could install a barrier over the flue & sawzall out hole to run the hose through (to keep excess heat from escaping)

All in on materials for this is probably $500-600.

Thoughts?

DeBoss
AG
How much propane would a whole home generator go through in a day? I have a 250 tank but was wondering if I only ran my heat and a couple of lights how long it would last.
jamey
AG
Apache said:

Any reason the following wouldn't be a decent solution for keeping the house warm?

Our fireplace is the typical suburban type (runs on gas) and according to Mythbusters, probably draws more heat out of the house than it produces.

My thought was to buy a small wood burning stove & some flexible chimney liner pipe to have as backup heat source. If we ran out of propane or wanted to conserve it, we run the flex liner up the existing chimney & fire up the wood stove. I figure I could install a barrier over the flue & sawzall out hole to run the hose through (to keep excess heat from escaping)

All in on materials for this is probably $500-600.

Thoughts?

So put the wood burning stove in front of fireplace, not inside of it and use flexible chimney liner pipe to connect it to the chimney outlet?
Apache
AG
Something like that. I figure having the stove out of the fireplace box allows more heat to radiate out into the living room and not up the chimney. Plus you could cook on top of the stove
Charlie Murphy
They may have been referring to wood burning no?
big ben
AG
Hotel near a hospital
bam02
AG
I don't know. Our house is 34 years old and is drafty as hell. Needs windows for sure and probably better wall and attic insulation.

We have a fireplace with gas logs in our main living area and use the hell out of it when it's cold. It's hard to get our house evenly heated and this seems to really help. I don't think it's a net drain on heat.
Apache
AG
Quote:

3- MYTH: Fireplaces make a room cooler, not hotter

FACT: This is true…but there's a catch

Here's how this myth came to be:

Some fireplace heat goes up the chimney and not into the room.
Wood needs oxygen to burn which draws warm air out of a room.
However, there are ways to combat this myth.

Installing a new, energy-efficient wood fireplace, gas fireplace, or fireplace insert also helps retain heat.

https://stamfordfireplaces.com/common-chimney-and-fireplace-myths-debunked/

bam02
AG
Ours definitely heats up the room it is in. I doubt that it is any kind of modern fancy fireplace, either.
RockwallAg
AG
Solar panels and (3) Tesla power walls
jamey
AG
Apache said:

Something like that. I figure having the stove out of the fireplace box allows more heat to radiate out into the living room and not up the chimney. Plus you could cook on top of the stove

I have wondered about something like that too. Part of the problem would be where the feet are on the stove. I dont think you can put it down in the floor but my cheesy fake modern fireplace has a 2 inch thick brick hearth I could set a wood stove on if it's skinny enough
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.