Outdoors
Sponsored by

Armadillos

2,903 Views | 39 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by jpb1999
Buford T. Justice
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
What is the best way to get them out of my yard and flowerbeds? I live in the burbs so I can't shoot them with my shotgun.
"Gimme a diablo sandwhich and a dr. pepper...to go"
Brazos1865
AG
Trapping with a live trap and relocating is my suggestion. You'll have to determine where they travel and build a "funnel" into the trap; I know of no bait that will attract them.
AgTrip

They didn't touch the peanuts or the pretzels!
limup1215
AG
I use Grub-ex to kill grubs and worms. Has greatly reduced the number of armadillos
SanAntoneAg
AG
They pay two-fifty down in Hallettsville

3 dollars, maybe more
Gig 'em! '90
trip98
AG
gotta treat yard from grubs....thoroughly...that helps but won't get rid of them completely.

and then like another user said, trap but in confined space. They liked to dig in one spot against my foundation so I put trap there. It has a bunch of shrubs that made somewhat of a funnel. Took a couple weeks but ultimately they went in. Relocated several miles away
aggiedent
AG
The drought has a lot of critters in real survival mode. Tougher to find food and water.

fullback44
AG

put one of these in your front yard.... no way the little dillo wants his cousin humping him
Shoefly!
AG
Wait until they run back to tunnel, then pull them out by the tail! Easy!
When I was a younger man we would catch armadillos for the races in our town, take a bicycle rim tie rip some netting on rim then add a hoe handle and sneak up on them. Their first move is to jump straight up into the net and their claws get hung up in the netting. If you have kids it's a blast watching them sneak up and trap them. Just wear leather gloves if you handle them. Those claws cut.
tmaggies
AG
Relocate so they can be someone else's problem? Purchase a pellet gun and save yourself more headaches. I live in a rural area and they have destroyed my yard, flower beds and the last straw was my vegetable garden! Make them suffer!!!
cupofjoe04
AG
Can you build a tiny fence, such that they have to crawl over it, and make sure the pickets are spaced apart just about the size of an armadillo's dick?

I know it works on possums.

https://texags.com/forums/34/topics/2440214

jpb1999
AG
https://thearmadillotrap.com/

This worked for me. Better than a metal trap. I still used funnel technique and caught a lot of them.
Build It
AG
This is the way. They will destroy a wire trap.
TRIDENT
AG
https://www.amazon.com/Cold-Steel-Magnum-5-Foot-Blowgun/dp/B0061R3CWE

Legal and deadly.
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
jpb1999 said:

https://thearmadillotrap.com/

This worked for me. Better than a metal trap. I still used funnel technique and caught a lot of them.
Well hell, saw one of those in my hood and didn't realize they were dillo specific. We back up to a green belt and the best defense is no grubs. They still get in and root around the beds some, but the yard stays pretty well intact. Had one digging under my foundation and left a gas soaked rag there for a while and he never came back.

Person Not Capable of Pregnancy
TikkaShooter
This is what rimfire silencers were made for.
jpb1999
AG
TikkaShooter said:

This is what rimfire silencers were made for.
What is the easiest, fastest, cheapest way to get a rimfire can?
mhnatt
SMH at recommendations for "pellet guns" and "blow darts". Obviously these folks have zero experience with the efficacy of these against a dillo. Even a .22LR is iffy and unethical at best.

I have found a suppressed 300blk w/Sub-X is quite effective/easy. Though our ranch doesn't have such legal restrictions as the OP.

That said, while I'm not advising you legally, there was some discussion on the OB a couple years ago as to whether or not the prevention of property destruction is a defense of the discharge of a firearm in such situations. It was generally directed at hog damage in the suburbs but referenced the below:

"Texas Penal Code Section 790.15, does not apply to a person lawfully defending life or property"
Aggie2
Get a game camera so you can know their routine. When you find consistency plan on staying awake with a .22 or strong pellet gun. They're pretty predictable.
ghollow
AG
We had an armadillo tearing up my front yard. He was too smart for the trap. Wound up spraying my yard with Molemax from Lowes. It is completely safe. Uses castor oil as the repellent. It has been working so far.

So the greatest civilization is one where all citizens are equally armed and can only be persuaded, never forced. It removes force from the equation... and that's why carrying a gun is a civilized act.
BwdAg
AG
Put a cooler of lone star in the neighbors yard.
turfman80
AG
A Gamo pellet gun works just fine on them.
DoitBest
S
SanAntoneAg said:

They pay two-fifty down in Hallettsville

3 dollars, maybe more
But, they don't take 'em alive...
Gunny456
AG
They don't have the ability to know and maliciously want to purposely tear up your yard. They are eating bugs for goodness sakes. You want to kill them, that's fine. It's your yard and land. I'm hopping your just being cute and joking about " make them suffer". Right?
trip98
AG
I released it at a greenbelt park along a bayou. No houses anywhere nearby
Gunny456
AG
We live very rural and due to the extreme dry they are going to our yards and flower beds searching for food in the wetter ground.
We had a Aggie pest control guy tell us to order Cayan pepper on Amazon in bulk bags and spread it in the beds. He said it won't harm any plants, will neutralize in the winter months. We tried it four weeks ago. We still see Dillos in the fields but nary a one in the flower beds now.
B-1 83
AG
Buford T. Justice said:

What is the best way to get them out of my yard and flowerbeds? I live in the burbs so I can't shoot them with my shotgun.
Any way you can post pics of the damage?
Being in TexAgs jail changes a man……..no, not really
tmaggies
AG
Nope and I make tamales out of neighbors cats too.
MemphisAg1
AG
High quality pellet gun with a good scope light will do the trick.

Traps usually catch the wrong critters. Don't use an open trap; wandering cats will make your life hell trying to get them out of one... not that I would know.
ChemEAg08
AG
Neighbor and I have a deal that if either happens to hear a shotgun blast, it is likely some hooligan on the other side of the tracts.
jpb1999
AG
Huh, 22lr works perfect for them. Even my weak sub sonics have no issue.
jpb1999
AG
Gunny456 said:

They don't have the ability to know and maliciously want to purposely tear up your yard. They are eating bugs for goodness sakes. You want to kill them, that's fine. It's your yard and land. I'm hopping your just being cute and joking about " make them suffer". Right?

Are you serious? Do you think he is stringing them up first and torturing them before killing then?
Ikanizer
AG

I built one of these and have caught lots of them. To get the first one I made funnels on each end. Now that its scented I just put it next to the edge of a flower bed.

Don't leave the trap set and go on a long trip.
Gunny456
AG
Lord forbid if he would build a armadillo proof fence around his yard to keep them out. He might restrict whitetail movement if he did.
Ogre09
AG
Hit em with your bumper doing 60, 65
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.