Outdoors
Sponsored by

Any Aggies on America's Great Loop ?

62,024 Views | 432 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by Tailgate88
John Cocktolstoy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Wow, what a cool trip!
Second Hardest Workin Man on Texags
TailG8TR
AG
Georgia is pretty and has vast stretches of undeveloped grassy marshlands making it quite scenic. But the twisting nature of the ICW through there can make it frustrating to travel...the course winds around and doubles back on itself for days. Additionally, the tidal range in parts of Georgia approaches 9 feet....making navigation much more complicated.

Making sure of your depth requires knowing your position on the charts but also requires knowing your time of day relative to the tide cycle that day. It makes a big difference when 8 feet of water floods over the bottom or 8 feet of water leaves. Judge the arrival at an area wrong by a couple hours makes a Huge difference in depths.

So making sure that you can reach a shallow area , say 10 miles up ahead with a 2/3rds or higher tide in order to have enough depth to get through is complicated by whether or not the course between you and there has a tidal flow which is helping or is against you. That makes a BIG difference in your speed thereby making a big difference in when you will reach the crucial shallow point. 7 knot average versus 4 knots or 9 knots is a large range.

Complicating this calculation even further is the nature of the Georgia topography. It commonly has river and tidal inlets every few miles. This means that you may be riding a flood tide for a couple miles but then you cross the high or low point of that local drainage pattern and are now fighting an ebb tide flow. Think of it as going up and down hills every couple miles. Speeds you up then slows you down....and the actual distances are never the same so there results in a net gain or loss of speed. Sometimes fairly tough to calculate and allow for in relation to the tides..
...which of course change timing daily as the month progresses.

Then there is the matter of anchoring. Let's say you want an anchorage of 8 feet so that you won't be on the bottom but so that you also don't have to use a crazy amount of rode ( overnight anchoring I prefer to use 7/1 compared to depth). You find a beautiful 12 foot depth site.....but what is the tide ? Could be that it is at high so in a few hours you will be sitting on the bottom in 4 feet of water....or could be that it is at low and the 95 feet of rode you put out is dangerously short for the 20 feet you now are in at high tide that should be using 140 feet.

Complicating it EVEN further is figuring out the direction in which to set the anchor. How much is the wind blowing and how much does it effect YOUR boat ? How much is the current going to run when the tide changes and in which direction ? I have seen tidal currents of 3 to 5 knots on several occasions. And what about wind shifts overnight ? (Every boat responds to winds and currents differently/uniquely )

One last aspect in Georgia....now imagine a marina. Boat is at the dock and you are tied and step off onto the dock. Great. No worries. Come back several hours later and the boat is 6 feet or more lower. How to board ? Did you tie up in a manner that allowed your boat to remain secure yet adjust for 6 foot drop or is your boat literally hanging sideways from the dock....or worse.....did it damage/remove cleats from the boat. Lets say you docked at low tide.. How high over your head is the dock? How do you tie up now ? ( we actually got off our boat from the pilot house level a few times and reboarded onto the lower deck after a tide changed )Knowing whether a marina had fixed or floating docks becomes an important question to ask

So boating in Georgia was beautiful but required more effort daily simply to navigate and live on the water safely and comfortably. Fun but harder...so like taking bigger/harder quizzes all day/every day instead of the normally difficult quizzes of other regions. I tend (don't we all ? ) to like my life to be reasonably simple with only a few curve balls....but then...Hey...thats boating on the Loop.

As for NJ....The Atlantic ICW is supposed to be maintained at 8 to 10 feet. That allows barge and commercial shipping to use it Dredging is constant and evident all along Florida, Georgia, the Carolinas and Virginia. Get to NJ...
.nope

In their defense the tidal currents can be large there also and so the channels get scoured or filled quickly...but still. NJ only claims to maintain a 6 foot depth in the NJICW. But in practice they do not. I only need 3 1/2 feet draft so figured a decent safety margin using "the inside" through NJ. ...again...nope

I encountered the bottom 3 or 4 times there. Bumps. Nudges. Plowing through chocolate puddin-like mud areas. Just not fun wondering if you can negotiate a known shallow stretch of 5 feet , needing only 3.5 feet, but finding it to be 3... We traveled only about 4 to five hours on any day through NJ....only the last 3 hours of a RISING tide and first two hours of full or falling.....that way we had the most water possible and if grounded had the best chance of getting off and not waiting 8 to 12 hours for the next cycle to try...Again..NJ was just complicated navigation. Not as fun as more straightforward areas.

Many Loopers with "go fast" boats do NJ on the outside and so have very different views. They can run in the open Atlantic fast enough to cover NJ in 2 or maybe 3 hops going out one Inlet and back in another.

We used the same ports but went inside because of big water conditions (4's to 6's are not fun for us). We entered NJ at Cape May....traveled to Atlantic City....up to Beach Haven....then Manasquan....before we HAD TO go outside. There is no inside route from Manasquan up to NYC. We waited a full week for winds and seas to lay down before leaving Manasquan to anchor at Sandy Hook. Then Sandy Hook into NYC and right by Lady Liberty.

So....long answers....but that is why my wife indicated less like of Georgia and NJ....more complicated than other areas.
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
TailG8TR said:

Ice is expensive...and bags a shrinking in size !!! We try to get blocks but only occasionally available.

Fascinating read and awesome adventure, but I have to put on my Debbie Downer cap since this is the OB. If you would have bought the biggest sized Yeti, it would be making ice and you could have made some side money on the trip.

Other than that, your preparation and planning is freaking amazing. It's something my Dad could have pulled off but no way I'm that methodical and thoughtful and I spent a lot of time around boats in my younger years and middle age.

Did a couple of trips to Baffin Bay cabins for overnights and felt like I missed some things.

Person Not Capable of Pregnancy
Hwy30East
Thanks TailG8TR, that's great information. Definitely understandable now. That would have stressed me out.
Santas Little Helper
This has been a great thread!
TailG8TR
AG
Travel day from Cheboygan over to Mackinac City...a short day.

Weather forecast for light winds of about 5 knots. Morning was fairly calm with smoke filtered sunshine. Left the harbor and cleared the nav buoys about a me out and turned westward.

30 to 80 feet of water so no worries. Wind began to pick up and the fog rolled in. Fog was moderate but lasted clear over to near the Mackinaw Bridge. ( Sidenote....whether spelled Mackinac or Mackinaw....it is pronounced Mackinaw...)

Picked up some diesel ( $3.90 gallon) and got a pump out and then docked at Straits Harbor Marina in Mackinac City. Michigan DNR runs a nice bunch of marinas.

Coast Guard has a significant presence up here. Lots of commercial shipping with a reported 90% of US iron ore being shipped through this region.

Mack City has a busy shopping/pub/restaurant area and has multiple ferries across to Mackinaw Island and all of its attractions. Wife and I have declared a week of no travel and we are going to be tourists and vacationers for a week !

Will try to capture a few good pics during our stay here.

Recent views to follow below ...

SPF250
AG
If not mistaken, the Coast Guard Academy is on Lake Michigan.
Furlock Bones
AG
such a neat trip.
Burdizzo
AG
TailG8TR said:

Coast Guard has a significant presence up here. Lots of commercial shipping with a reported 90% of US iron ore being shipped through this region.

You're near the heart of the American Industrial Revolution/Rust Belt. On one side you have the iron mines of the Great Lakes and on the other side you have Appalachian coal mines
TailG8TR
AG
Views of the Mackinaw Bridge from a distance as the fog was lifting. We will get Much better pics next week when we will pass beneath it as we head into Lake Michigan.

The Mackinaw Bridge is Huge ! It is the 5th largest suspension Bridge in the world. Impressive from a distance and should be more so up close.

https://www.mackinacbridge.org/history/facts-figures/

TailG8TR
AG
Walking through marina , admiring the clarity of the water here. Clearly see details on the bottom in 10 to 12 feet of water. Pretty cool.

Then a VERY unique boat caught my eye. It is designed to be able to launch and retrieve itself without using a trailer or another vehicle. Could use a ramp or an unimproved beach area. The wheels at the stern and bow fold or retract and are motorized.. Interesting concept.

AgLA06
AG
That's pretty cool.
Pahdz
You're gonna be sick of fudge
Jabin
SPF250 said:

Mistaken. It's in New London, Connecticut.
SPF250
AG
Jabin said:

SPF250 said:

Mistaken. It's in New London, Connecticut.
Off topic: Was thinking that because of an Aggie bachelor party I attended in Waukegan, IL. When the flaming shots started, some young Coast Guard types walking by were invited in. We're so scared of the flames, they dribbled flaming alcohol down their chins and burned themselves. Much more to the story but back on topic.
TRIDENT
AG
Found my Great Loop boat. We will likely buy an Albin 32+2 the summer after next. My wife and I have have four more years to work full time in our current positions before we can draw our pensions. We will be in our 50's and want to do this trip and some extensive Florida and Bahamas cruising.

https://www.yachtworld.com/yacht/2001-albin-32-+-2-command-bridge-8838384/
Stat Monitor Repairman
Yeah man that RIB looks like it would scoot with those motors. That kind of boat can go ridiculously fast and can easily turn sharp enough to throw everybody overboard. Thats the danger in these. This is the Kawasaki Ninja motorcycle of boats. They can get away from you especially if you trying to run in any kind of seas.

We started seeing this style and trim of boats referred to as a super-yacht tender. Thats been my experience. These were designed to be launched off the back of a yacht and driven up on the beach. I don't know how the hydraulics work on that but my instinct is all that would add significant weight.

The fiberglass on the bow of that boat has got to be super-reinforced. Running through any type of seas with that wheel on the front would be problematic. Like if you got caught out somewhere in rough water. That hull needs to cut through the water and it seems like that wheel would catch the seas and would be a real problem. I'd be afraid of a wave catching that wheel and forcing my bow down.

If any body is looking to get in to the marine business. look at buying and chartering one of these super yacht tenders to cary tourists:

Sightseeing trips
Dive trips
Charter for professional divers
Underwater inspections
Sorkel trips
Ferrying people between islands
Can be used as a rescue vessel
Doing parts and logistics runs to larger vessels
Towing other vessels
Tv and film support and logistics
Assisting with docking larger vessels
Line handling for larger vessels

Thats one of the most versatile boats you can buy. Run the boat yourself as captain or hire a local captain. But operating and managing a boat like this like could be a full time job if someone wanted to be a. self employed vessel owner operator. Thats a good way to do it.I think one could start to turn an immediate profit with a boat like this RIB. But youd have to have a high level of diligence and attention to detail. Would be a full time job to keep that boat in tip top shape and underway as much as possible,

You find the right location for one of these boats and that seems like a good business model.
Stat Monitor Repairman
TRIDENT said:

Found my Great Loop boat. We will likely buy an Albin 32+2 the summer after next. My wife and I have have four more years to work full time in our current positions before we can draw our pensions. We will be in our 50's and want to do this trip and some extensive Florida and Bahamas cruising.

https://www.yachtworld.com/yacht/2001-albin-32-+-2-command-bridge-8838384/
Thats a good looking boat man.

You can't go wrong with Yanmar.
Hwy30East
Nice! I was wondering how many people started searching YachtWorld looking for a great loop boat after TailG8TR started this thread.
Turf96
I have a dream that one day the entire loop will be dotted with maroon colored boats all carrying texags flags and doss stickers. Lol

I'm not much of a boater but this trip is so awesome. If I win the lottery May have to buy a boat name it horns down and start the loop.
hopeandrealchange
Turf96 said:

I have a dream that one day the entire loop will be dotted with maroon colored boats all carrying texags flags and doss stickers. Lol

I'm not much of a boater but this trip is so awesome. If I win the lottery May have to buy a boat name it horns down and start the loop.

For me Loop fever turned in to just a romantic dream.
At first glance who would not be awestruck?
After a couple of years of study and practical experience it became crystal clear I was not up to the challenge.
I truly have the utmost respect and awe for the very small group of adventures that even start much less finish the loop.
The Looper merit badge is a true badge of honor.
techno-ag
AG
hopeandrealchange said:

Turf96 said:

After a couple of years of study and practical experience it became crystal clear I was not up to the challenge.
I truly have the utmost respect and awe for the very small group of adventures that even start much less finish the loop.
Yup. Some of the open water stuff he's described seems quite challenging.
hopeandrealchange
techno-ag said:

hopeandrealchange said:

Turf96 said:

Yup. Some of the open water stuff he's described seems quite challenging.

For me with the very little bit of experience I got. The problem was not sleeping well while at anchor.
I would love to know how they are sleeping.
TailG8TR
AG
We sleep pretty well.....for old facts. Anyone else our age understands.

Plan out our anchorages ahead of time on charts and then modify if needed as the winds and weather conditions dictate.

Use plenty of scope - I like about 7 to 1 - and an anchor bridle to take the strain off the windlass. Set the anchor by backing down on it under decent rpms.

I then set an anchor watch/anchor alarm via a phone app. You can select what size radius you want depending on the conditions. If the anchor should drag or you somehow exceed the radius you input, an alarm sounds on phone and shows diagram of your drift direction. Pretty slick application of GPS data. Works well.

Removes the worry or anxiety of overnights.

I still do visual checks until after dark but it is often hard to establish a reference mark to visually confirm your position. All the water looks the same! An anchor watch app is the way to go.

Additionally.....it is helpful in any marina where you might suspect kids or folks loitering about. Some ( a few ) Loopers have been untied at night by someone thinking its funny to let a boat drift away....sometimes on a river with current...only to have the occupants awaken as they bump into something ! Turds !

So...what several of us do is also set the anchor alarm when docked/tied in a marina and set the radius for something really small ( depending on the plus or minus of the accuracy of the GPS at that location , usually displayed on your app ) like 2 meters to 8 feet. That way almost any movement is detected if somebody starts messing around with the boat.

Never happened with us in a marina. Have drifted twice in about 40 anchorages. No biggie. Pull it and relocate.

Once was a big tidal switch......other was really soft chocolate pudding mud and strong winds just slowly plowing a trench.

Just remember to disable alarm as you pull up anchor and leave. Otherwise the app will go off and startle you for a moment.....I know !
TailG8TR
AG
Btw....there are Lots of anchoring apps out there.

I have 5 downloaded but mostly use AnchorAlarm.

Like its simple interface.
mAgnoliAg
AG
Guessing this app wouldn't work offshore?
TailG8TR
AG
Honestly don't know. I have used it from Tx up into Canada and now into Michigan and never had an issue. Many of those places I had zero cell coverage in pretty remote and open areas.
TailG8TR
AG
Day tripped over to Mackinac Island today. Fun day.

Whether spelled Mackinaw or Mackinac ( French silent "c" ) it is pronounced Mackinaw...which comes from native name for the island of "The Great Turtle"...the appearanceof the island to a large turtle's back in the water......explains why so many logos here feature a big turtle image.

Scenic setting. Clear water. No motor vehicles...only foot, bikes and horses. Lots of shops and restaurants. Old fort and of course the Grand Hotel.

Enjoyable and Iconic.

Windy City Ag
AG
Quote:

It is over on the Connecticut coast in New London but they do indeed have a huge presence in the Great Lakes.

Windy City Ag
AG
You are bringing me back to wonderful memories. I am sure you had the history lesson of the War of 1812 while you were there. Between that and what I just saw in the Florida Keys, there is so much interesting naval history that does not get proper attention.

My neighbors would train for the Chicago Yacht Club race to Mackinac annually. That island turns into quite the party scene when the race finally finishes. The race was about a week ago, so you just missed it.
TailG8TR
AG
Yes....had sought dockage reservations in the marina when we discovered the race dates and all of the boats involved. Altered plans a bit due to that. Lingered in Georgian Bay a little longer so it worked out great!
BoerneGator
AG
Thoroughly enjoying traveling vicariously with you on this epic journey. You are the consummate Captain! Very impressed with your knowledge and capability. Kudos!

Recommend the eggs Benedict at The Grand, and enjoy a gin and tonic for me on the veranda. Such a cool place.
TailG8TR
AG
On the move again today. Rounding the top of the mitten and heading down the pinky side. Officially in Lake Michigan now having passed under the BIG Mackinac Bridge just after dawn.

Long day ahead . Almost 60 miles down to Petoskey. But chose today as a long travel day because of the benign conditions. So far smooth travel.

More later......

scd88
AG
Awesome. Thanks for sharing.
TailG8TR
AG
Appreciate it ! Thanks for the comments !

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.