Outdoors
Sponsored by

Any Aggies on America's Great Loop ?

61,858 Views | 432 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by Tailgate88
snowaggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
TailG8TR
AG
Got it. May remove if you desire
aggiesundevil4
AG
Ok…tailg8tr is officially the japantiger of the sea! A great many on this outdoor board will live vicariously through him because most of us won't ever be able to make a trip like this! This will be fun to watch the rest of the trip, especially hearing about the struggles and how you overcome them along the way!
TailG8TR
AG
Wow ! Thanks. Humbled and honored. Will try to uphold my end of this ....just a guy and his wife taking on an adventure together.
CS78
Thanks for sharing!

Ive always thought a trawler would be a great economical way to do some 5-7 day fishing trips in the GOM.
bowhuntr
I need a post that goes step by step through how to convince a wife to embark on this journey. I feel like this is something you build up to - I tried the more direct approach. Quick failure. I'm now trying to show her possible boats!
TailG8TR
AG
Hah....I have heard that from some other Loopers....so I know it CAN work out.

EDIT ...I had the wrong title. These are correct and have been the starting point for several successful Loopers.

Check out the books "Honey, Let's Get A Boat".... or ...... "Honey Let's Buy a Boat" ....might be a start ! It is quite similar to the situation you describe.
AgLA06
AG
bowhuntr said:

I need a post that goes step by step through how to convince a wife to embark on this journey. I feel like this is something you build up to - I tried the more direct approach. Quick failure. I'm now trying to show her possible boats!

I showed mine this thread. Next thing I knew she was Googling boats and looking up loop blogs / social media.

jja79
AG
I mean this with absolute sincerity and respect. If you're living this life after both being teachers you should create a money management course and the Department of Education should require it for HS graduation. Then you should create a paid service teaching adults and become incredibly wealthy.

Consider running for office is my other thought.
bowhuntr
AgLA06 said:

bowhuntr said:

I showed mine this thread. Next thing I knew she was Googling boats and looking up loop blogs / social media.

I like it. There is hope - we have owned boats before and she loves the water. This is a little different, but I do have experience at sea so she won't be able to pull card on me. I'm making this a goal for the next 20 years.
Pahdz
What coast of Lake Michigan do you plan to cruise down? Was just up and down the Elk Rapids/Charlevoix area and if you stop around there it's nice.
TailG8TR
AG
Yes...the eastern side of Lake Michigan, the western shore of the STATE of Michigan. And , yes, Charlevoix will likely be one of our port stops.
TailG8TR
AG
I would say that's a Great sign and you are off on a promising start !
Hwy30East
My wife does not like boats, so she would never agree to go with me. She has stated she would fly to different places and meet up with me along the way. Im sure I could find some other family and friends to go with me. I just need the time and money for the boat now.
maroon barchetta
Hwy30East said:

My wife does not like boats, so she would never agree to go with me. She has stated she would fly to different places and meet up with me along the way. Im sure I could find some other family and friends to go with me. I just need the time and money for the boat now.

What if you had a pony on your boat?
one safe place
TailG8TR said:

My wife and I are about 4000 miles into The Loop having left Kemah last Halloween....and have not yet met any other Aggie Loopers. Wanted to see if we might find some Aggie boaters as we leave Canada and begin to head south. Heck of an adventure !
I would figure most Aggies have never heard of The Loop (I haven't) and the odds of randomly meeting other Aggie Loopers is pretty close to zero!
Hwy30East
I would ride him on my boat!

TailG8TR, what's the plan for the day? Y'all staying put in Little Current?
NoahAg
TailG8TR said:

My wife and I taught HS for 35 years.....lived beneath our means...traveled a lot but saved a lot. Set goals. Stuck to them. Made it happen.....whatever the "it" was as we went along.
This adventure is within reach of LOTS of people. Do NOT need a huge expensive boat....ambition, perseverance and preparation.
...and the "teachers aren't paid enough" discussion was officially declared dead.
AgLA06
AG
one safe place said:

TailG8TR said:

My wife and I are about 4000 miles into The Loop having left Kemah last Halloween....and have not yet met any other Aggie Loopers. Wanted to see if we might find some Aggie boaters as we leave Canada and begin to head south. Heck of an adventure !
I would figure most Aggies have never heard of The Loop (I haven't) and the odds of randomly meeting other Aggie Loopers is pretty close to zero!
It may have been TailG8TR, but I'm pretty sure there was a thread on here previously about the loop. That's how I knew what it was.
AgLA06
AG
NoahAg said:

TailG8TR said:

My wife and I taught HS for 35 years.....lived beneath our means...traveled a lot but saved a lot. Set goals. Stuck to them. Made it happen.....whatever the "it" was as we went along.
This adventure is within reach of LOTS of people. Do NOT need a huge expensive boat....ambition, perseverance and preparation.
...and the "teachers aren't paid enough" discussion was officially declared dead.
That's kind of a dick thing to say.

Used boats aren't that expensive. He didn't buy new production.

It's also up to teachers to make more money teaching summer school, tutoring, coaching or any other option. If he lived at or below his means it's not unexpected he would have a house long paid off, a retirement fund for each, and the ability / time to finance and work on a boat that needs updating the last 10 years of his career with kids out of the house.

Instead of talking crap, I applaud the fact he was disciplined and put in the time and work to be able to do something like this. Lord knows at the stage of my life currently, it seems almost unattainable.
Aggieangler93
AG
I'm an avid boater and love the sea. I'm fascinated by your journey and very appreciative of you for putting it out there for us to see. Wishing you fair winds, following seas, and a lot of updates in the future!
Class of '93 - proud Dad of a '22 grad and a '26 student!
munch96
AG
Thanks for sharing pics of your journey!

Getting a boat and doing the Loop is on my ultimate bucket list.
techno-ag
AG
AgLA06 said:

one safe place said:

TailG8TR said:

It may have been TailG8TR, but I'm pretty sure there was a thread on here previously about the loop. That's how I knew what it was.
Wall St. Journal had an article on it back during Covid. That's how I knew about it.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/for-these-intrepid-boaters-life-is-but-a-great-loop-11585234867
TailG8TR
AG
Thanks for asking ! It is appreciated that you are requesting info and updates....I don't want to be accused of boring folks or the whole "humble brag" deal.....I'm sure you get my point.

So today started of cool...mid 50s with more wind than was originally forecast...10 to 15 knots. But the direction was out of the west so not terrible since my destination was to the northwest. I don't mind taking it on the nose if its under 20. Almost no boat , ours included, likes beam seas. So I decided after a 2nd cup of coffee to depart.

Clouds and some mist and the next couple hours in careful navigation to avoid the thousands of granite islands and the barely submerged "almost islands" that can tear open your hull. The North Channel of Lake Huron is pretty wster but demands your attention

The waters range from a few feet to several hundreds of feet deep. Charts and good electronics are necessities. I have AIS ...both transmit and receive...and highly recommend it. It is a requirement aboard commercial vessels and most responsible and careful boaters have it. .....so....as we were headed north between Clapperton Island and Amendoz Island...I could see on my chart plotter that there was a commercial vessel hidden just west of Clapperton by the granite cliffs and trees but headed my way. I hailed him on VHF for communicate/arrange a port to port safe pass. However. I was REALLY surprised when the ship that rounded the corner of the island was a cruise ship ! Pearl Mist. Apparently headed down towards Little Current where I had just left.

I always maintain VHF watch on 16 and up here also 68. Heard a MAYDAY call today - pretty rare. Pleasure vessel with 7 folks and some pets onboard about 25 miles south of me. Vessel had fire below decks and was taking on water. Vessel named Cool Change. Two pleasure boats and a charter fishing boat responded via Canadian Coast Guard coordination. Took off 5 passengers but husband and wife remained onboard to finish putting out fire and to "dewater" the boat. CG dispatched assistance to scene but I never heard any follow up.

Had to negotiate two narrow channels/passages between rocks today....one named "Little Detroit"...only about 75 feet wide with jagged dynamited rock edges...and with obscured/blind S turns before and after ...
Before entering a prudent boater will issue a "Securitay" call on 16 to announce you are about to enter the channel and ask if any other boats are near by since passing in the channel would be "sporty"...no replies...and no traffic...so all was good

Winds increased. It got snotty. We continued on to our marina destination at SPANISH, ONTARIO. Spanish Municipal Marina. Real small village but pretty nice facilities in an awesome setting....backed up against a granite cliff 180 to 200 feet tall with a wind turbine on top.

We docked. Did post trip checklists and maintenance. Climbed up the cliff on a walkway and took pics.

Really windy and cool . Mid 60s and fleece quarter zip on.....I know...I know...Tx is broiling....but its chilly up here.

I will try to attach some of today's pics but internet/cell connectivity up here is sketchy...

I hope this is not too much...or too boring...if so, tell me and I'll knock it off. But if it is enjoyable to y'all....I will try to make updates when I have time and good connectivity

Hope the pics follow soon

COOL BREEZE
TailG8TR
AG
Hope these attach...
On the water...
Big surprise
Narrow cuts...

techno-ag
AG
TailG8TR said:

I hope this is not too much...or too boring...if so, tell me and I'll knock it off. But if it is enjoyable to y'all....I will try to make updates when I have time and good connectivity

Hope the pics follow soon

COOL BREEZE
I think, judging by the stars you'll get, you'll see we want more.

Diddler_44
AG
Thanks for the update. I'm truly fascinated by this. I have no real boating experience, but really enjoy following your journey.
TailG8TR
AG
Spanish, Ontario
Marina nestled against cliff face
Views of marina and North Channel Lake Huron

AgLA06
AG
Awesome.

Keep posting every day like its a diary.

And document everything yourself (text and photos). Your grand kids will want to experience this.
IslandAg76
AG
Looks like a Great Trip

Just some encouragement for those adding this to their bucket lists--don't wait too long.
This just doesn't happen, it takes a while to get ready. And, you need to be in reasonable health with reasonable mobility to run a boat on a trip like this
Do, get going....don't wait too long!
TailG8TR
AG
Wow ! Thanks for the comments ! We are just a couple who were focused and set attainable goals and were disciplined about our lifestyle. We saved, we invested and we planned.
We searched out the boat we felt would best fit The Loop.....a 1986 Kadey Krogen Manatee 36.... the smallest model from a well pedigreed line of yachts....bought it at a reasonable price.....and put a full year into making her ready. Our expenses traveling are still within our approximate "dirt living" expenses....so thats a wash.

I really appreciate your positive comments !
TailG8TR
AG
I am really appreciative of your comments. It is meaningful to me to have someone "take up for me" and to do so publicly. Thanks.

We are a focused couple who set goals and worked diligently toward them . Yes, we both took on extra responsibilities and duties and saved and invested. Having spent time on TexAgs for years I am well aware of the stance some take regarding teachers in general.

Finding the right boat at the right price and spending a full year preparing the boat ( and Ourselves ! ) did not come easily. But that is just another part of what makes this 6000 mile/year long adventure the challenging fun that it is.

Again...thanks for your positive and supportive viewpoint and comments. Means a lot....Thanks.
aggiesundevil4
AG
A lifetime achievement to be proud of!
RCR06
AG
Some will complain about anything as I'm sure you're very familiar with this(from other threads and being a teacher). Dont worry about them. I think most are interested to see and hear about your journey. I also understand not having this become a daily "chore" either. Post as much or as little as you want. Don't want to speak for everyone, but we'll take whatever we can get.
Pahdz
Don't worry you aren't boring anyone these write ups are awesome.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.