Outdoors
Sponsored by

Any Aggies on America's Great Loop ?

61,859 Views | 432 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by Tailgate88
CanyonAg77
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Quote:

many days down the TennTomBigbee waterway to Mobile

Our daughter was stationed at Columbus AFB, MS for about 6 years. We saw a few barges going down the Tenn-Tom while we were visiting. This Panhandle boy had never heard of the Tenn-Tom. Pretty impressive.

One of the best preserved antebellum mansions is just off the Tombigbee at Waverly, MS
TailG8TR
AG
Well...... after 14 months and almost 6000 miles.... if things go well, we should be back to Kemah midweek this upcoming week.

What an awesome adventure of learning, experiences and growth it has been !

Thanks to those of you who have provided some much appreciated positive feedback these past months.

What a trip !
AgLA06
AG
Now you just have to start planning for a bigger boat and next year's trip to the Bahamas or an Atlantic crossing.
lurker76
Thanks so much for all of the updates, information, and pictures. It has been a very entertaining follow for this trip and one of my favorites on TexAgs this year. Once you get settled in, please apprise us of your future plans for Cool Breeze and if you have another big adventure planned with your wife.
TailG8TR
AG
Anchored just southwest of Port Arthur tonight in Taylor Outfall Canal.

Long 65 mile day tomorrow in the ICW to Bolivar and the mouth of Galveston Bay. Intend to anchor around Baffle Point depending on wind direction.

Then Wednesday will bring this trip to a close as we head up Galveston Bay and back to Blue Dolphin YC where it all began 14 months ago !

It will be nice to be able to spend some down time with family after this past year.....and not have to plot a course or do daily boat chores for a couple weeks.

Then its time to do a deep clean on the ole girl, get her bottom done, offload our personal gear and get her ready to find a new set of owners who will care for her like we have.

I will be sure to post a few more tidbits during that time.....

Looking forward to seeing homeport again.

techno-ag
AG
Thank you sir for this outstanding thread.
ShouldastayedataTm
One has to wonder, is there a similar opportunity up the west coast? I mean getting there would be easy enough, down the coast through the Panama canal and back up. I wonder if there is anything that would connect the coast back into the interior from that direction though. Hmmmm, think I just found a new topic to research for myself.
Thanks for this thread, only wish we had been able to join you sooner in the trip. Glad y'all are nearing the end safely and have had the opportunity. Well earned adventure, thanks again for bringing us along.
Giggem
AG
Quick update. I'm TailG8TR's brother. He and his wife finished up with a pretty stressful and wild penultimate night near Galveston, including drifting across the ship channel in the dark, due to freak winds and waves, but I'm convinced his years on the water and all that he learned while navigating the Loop keep them afloat and uninjured and, ultimately, home safe and sound.

They've now been able to spend a relaxed Christmas with us and our Mom and have returned to the Houston area to search for a dirt home and ponder their next adventure.

Thank y'all for all the support you gave them over TexAgs during this incredible adventure.

I'm so proud of my big brother for tackling this and being so prepared, smart, and self-sufficient. As I've told him many times, there aren't many people who train themselves to be a diesel mechanic at age 65 just so they can take off on a grand adventure. He did it spectacularly. Thank y'all for boosting his spirits along the way.
Ags 88 89 23
Our friend sent us this thread - WE are Aggies on the Great Loop! We started Valentines Day 2024 from Kemah, TX on our boat, Cool Beans. We are documenting our journey to share with friends and family on YouTube. Check us out if you are interested! Gig 'em! Chris '89 & Lisa '88

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnoojNf7lA4bXIw43EYqQuA
Hwy30East
Awesome!! I'll be following.

Good luck and stay safe!
Windy City Ag
AG
Just subscribed. Good Luck!
Ags 88 89 23
Thank you so much!
Tailgate88
AG
Subscribed!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.