Outdoors
Sponsored by

Wasp ID

5,501 Views | 60 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Rattler12
Andrew Dufresne
How long do you want to ignore this user?
This is the third year in a row that some of these have nested right above my front door. They've never once been aggressive towards me so I always just leave them alone. What kind are they?

MouthBQ98
AG
Yellow paper wasps.
nealan
Don't mistake their kindness for weakness !!!
S.A. Aggie
AG
Those pupa are great fish bait!
Andrew Dufresne
nealan said:

Don't mistake their kindness for weakness !!!
I'm guessing these things can get wild if you get too close? They've never flown at me or anything. They're pretty chill from what I can tell.
CS78
Accidentally tickle them with the tip of a fishing rod, in passing, and let us know how loving they are.
cryption
I like foaming wasp killer so it traps them and they won't fly at you
mini-x fan
They're yellow paper wasps. Water mixed with a splash of Dawn (or any other dish soap) will kill them just as dead as wasp spray. For nests in accessible areas like that, I mix it in a cup and just splash it on them. Do it at night or early morning to make sure you get them all while they are on the nest.
jwoodmd
Andrew Dufresne said:

This is the third year in a row that some of these have nested right above my front door. They've never once been aggressive towards me so I always just leave them alone. What kind are they?

The kind you kill
Andrew Dufresne
Man, if they were some red wasps or yellowjackets I probably would have already taken them out considering that the nest is right above my door. Like I said though, these things don't even seem to notice me.
Catag94
AG
Andrew Dufresne said:

Man, if they were some red wasps or yellowjackets I probably would have already taken them out considering that the nest is right above my door. Like I said though, these things don't even seem to notice me.

If/when they do, you'll which they were red wasp. Those little sucker pack a painful punch.
TarponChaser
mini-x fan said:

They're yellow paper wasps. Water mixed with a splash of Dawn (or any other dish soap) will kill them just as dead as wasp spray. For nests in accessible areas like that, I mix it in a cup and just splash it on them. Do it at night or early morning to make sure you get them all while they are on the nest.

What happened to aerosol hairspray and a lighter? Go flamethrower on those little bastages and crisp them up.
toolshed
AG
I reached under a breaker box to unlock the door and got popped about 4-5 times on the hand and one on the knee. They definitely are not friendly when you get too close.

And yes, the sting hurts!
FrioAg 00
AG
I get quite a few of these nests at the farm, and yes they are honestly really passive. I'm sure if I bumped them they'd react - but they are usually up high and easy to just ignore.

Unlike their red cousins who get aggressive and dive bomb if you even get all that close.
Watchful Ag
AG
OP: they've never once been aggressive towards me

Angry Wasp: keep walking …
Andrew Dufresne
Ya, they started watching me good when I was trying to get a closer pic. I was like alright I better not press my luck.
Ghost of Bisbee
AG
I loathe wasps.

Check out some of the hornet king's videos on YT. It's awesome to see the extractions he films
Ghost of Bisbee
AG
Never been stung by a wasp, but I have been stung by an asp (caterpillar), the very fuzzy ones with long hairs.

What would you compare the pain of a wasp or yellow jacket sting to?

Never been stung by a i honey bee or bumblebee either
Tecolote
AG
Ghost of Bisbee said:

Never been stung by a wasp, but I have been stung by an asp (caterpillar), the very fuzzy ones with long hairs.

Excruciating. Without having been stung by one you have no frame of reference to comprehend how ****ing awful it is.

Also, the issue with the yellow jackets (ground nesting ones) is if you get stung it's because you disturbed the nest and there'll be dozens stinging you before you know it. Those ****ers sent me once to the ER with my tongue swelling within minutes after 16 stings within 30 seconds. Ten minutes further drive and my death certificate would have read "yellow jacket stings."
Bird Poo
AG
Bumble bee>honey bee>wasps

From my experience growing up in Wild Peach, TX. Probably got stung by something once a week.
Ghost of Bisbee
AG
Tecolote said:

Ghost of Bisbee said:

Excruciating. Without having been stung by one you have no frame of reference to comprehend how ****ing awful it is.

Well, that's ****ing terrifying

Can you compare it to the sting of those hairy asps?
Shoefly!
AG
Ghost of Bisbee said:

Tecolote said:

Ghost of Bisbee said:

Well, that's ****ing terrifying

Can you compare it to the sting of those hairy asps?

Yes asp sting is much worse, especially if you get hit on hand or arm. The venom runs up your arm to under your armpit into your lymph node, It's excruciating! It can pulse for 2 or 3 hrs.
$3 Sack of Groceries
AG
P.U.T.U
AG
They get mean when you get close and while their sting does not feel as bad as a red wasp they are still worse than a bee sting. I get rid of them whenever I can
B-1 83
AG
FrioAg 00 said:

I get quite a few of these nests at the farm, and yes they are honestly really passive. I'm sure if I bumped them they'd react - but they are usually up high and easy to just ignore.

Unlike their red cousins who get aggressive and dive bomb if you even get all that close.
Those looks like the little variety ("Guinea wasps" my dad called the ), and they can be pretty docile. Their bigger cousins (the size of red wasps) not so much.
Being in TexAgs jail changes a man……..no, not really
SharkinAg
AG
I've been stung by enough of those where I regularly check for them before doing any work in an area. Also, the job stops if I see one until o know the nest is no where near. I catch a lot of bell from my friends but I'm so damn tired of being stung and it feel like I'm their favorite target or that they can sense Fear lol. I buy spectracide by the box.
AgBQ-00
AG
had some of these build a nest on the bottom of my mailbox last year. didnt know it was there and went to get the mail. BAM...BAMBAM!! Three stings and me cussing and running for the garage. Wasp spray used a couple minutes later. Those suckers HURT!!! Worse than the scorpion that got in my shirt.
jpb1999
AG
Can start own thread if needed, but anyone know what this is? Little bigger than a Yellowjacket but normal wasp size. At Davis Mountains for location. Never seen one with an all yellow abdomen…
Cromagnum
AG
We always called those yellow paper wasps yellow jackets even though actual yellow jackets normally live in ground nests.

Either way both types of wasps hurt pretty good when they pop you.
BlueSmoke
Our hunting cabin gets infested with those little monsters under the small overhang from the roof. I keep a super-soaker, bucket, and dish soap out there. Every trip I load up and try and eradicate as many as I can.

As stated, try to get them early in AM so the scouts don't come back pissed later in the afternoon. After you kill them, make sure you knock down and dispose of the nest
Nobody cares. Work Harder
B-1 83
AG
jpb1999 said:

Can start own thread if needed, but anyone know what this is? Little bigger than a Yellowjacket but normal wasp size. At Davis Mountains for location. Never seen one with an all yellow abdomen…

Never seen one that color, but I'll bet a dollar against a doughnut there's a paper nest somewhere.
Being in TexAgs jail changes a man……..no, not really
agz win
AG
Can I tag and ask what this?

FTAG 2000
AG
Ghost of Bisbee said:

Asp sting is way worse. But I would t recommend signing up for either.
BlueSmoke
agz win said:

Can I tag and ask what this?

"Cow Killer" or red velvet ant. No bueno. Coyote Peterson did a show on them about how painful their sting is. Stay away

Nobody cares. Work Harder
Bluto
AG
OP is a bigger nature lover than me. There is no way I could just let that nest ride, especially directly over the front door! I hate getting stung, and it is just a matter of time before it happens. Out of curiosity, what is the upside to you for not removing the nest?

As somebody else stated, I used to get stung often enough that I would stop work on a job if they were seen until I figured out where the nest was. Nothing like getting popped 3 or 4 times to get your blood going. I don't know that I would describe it as "excruciating", but it does hurt. For me, it would sting right at first, then throb for a few minutes (ice helps), then that area would get really hot. After that went away it would swell a little. A few days later that area would itch. Sometimes I would be able to see the hole several days later.

Anyway, I'd get rid of them. You will inadvertently disturb them, and I guarantee they will not reciprocate your kindness!
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.