Outdoors
Sponsored by

Wasp ID

5,488 Views | 60 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Rattler12
carl spacklers hat
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Velvet ant?
People think I'm an idiot or something, because all I do is cut lawns for a living.
DatTallArchitect
AG
Bird Poo said:

Bumble bee>honey bee>wasps

From my experience growing up in Wild Peach, TX. Probably got stung by something once a week.

Bumble bee is definitely the worst sting i ever had. My ankle stole up the size of a softball.
goatchze
AG
MAS444
AG
Having been stung by yellow jackets and asps, I can say that asps are much worse. Both hurt like hell though.
$3 Sack of Groceries
AG
agz win said:

Can I tag and ask what this?

As mentioned above it's a velvet ant or cow killer. You don't wanna get stung by one but if you can get a stick and pin it to the ground, those SOB's will squeak/squeal the harder you press them. It's the damndest thing.
Ghost of Bisbee
AG
What also pisses me off is if you step on a wasp with your shoe, or crush it, those ****ers release pheromones that signal to other wasps to come and help. Not sure if the pheromones release when they get poisoned or soap water logged

What the hell!
agz win
AG
BlueSmoke said:

agz win said:

Can I tag and ask what this?

"Cow Killer" or red velvet ant. No bueno. Coyote Peterson did a show on them about how painful their sting is. Stay away

Thank you for the information. Neighbor will get bug guy to treat and fire ants next week. That video was painful just to watch.
aTm2004
AG
Shoefly! said:

Ghost of Bisbee said:

Tecolote said:

Ghost of Bisbee said:

Never been stung by a wasp, but I have been stung by an asp (caterpillar), the very fuzzy ones with long hairs.

What would you compare the pain of a wasp or yellow jacket sting to?

Never been stung by a i honey bee or bumblebee either
Excruciating. Without having been stung by one you have no frame of reference to comprehend how ****ing awful it is.

Well, that's ****ing terrifying

Can you compare it to the sting of those hairy asps?

Yes asp sting is much worse, especially if you get hit on hand or arm. The venom runs up your arm to under your armpit into your lymph node, It's excruciating! It can pulse for 2 or 3 hrs.
Yep. A few years ago I was replacing a small triangular board under one of my eves that was rotting (where an angle meets another roof) with a piece of hardiplank, and I pried the piece out and thought all was good. When I put my hand in to pull it completely off, one of those little bassturds popped me on the side of my left middle finger knuckle. My whole finger swole up to the point that I couldn't bend my finger and I felt the pulsing for about an hour. I had the last laugh though as I destroyed the nest, and as the lone survivor buzzed me, I got him with my hat and he landed on the hot ass shingle, where I held the pry bar on him so he'd sear.
AlaskanAg99
AG
OP, see if they make something delicious.

Hubert J. Farnsworth
I had a few yellow paper wasp nests on my porch that I was "leaving alone" like you are until the other day. They were high up. One evening I walk out to go meet the family for dinner and the little b*s*a*s just flew down and stung me for no reason. Had a nice swollen neck at the restaurant. I went to war with them the next day. They may leave you alone for a while but it seems like when their nests get bigger and there's more of them that they start to get aggressive. Even from distances where you would think you aren't bothering them.

To the other conversation about sting pain. Red Wasp stings hurt way worse than yellow paper wasp stings. They both suck though. Especially if you swell up, like I do, from wasp stings.
Rattler12
Andrew Dufresne said:

Man, if they were some red wasps or yellowjackets I probably would have already taken them out considering that the nest is right above my door. Like I said though, these things don't even seem to notice me.
They are setting you up by not bothering you until they get their numbers up
Rattler12
Ghost of Bisbee said:

Tecolote said:

Ghost of Bisbee said:

Never been stung by a wasp, but I have been stung by an asp (caterpillar), the very fuzzy ones with long hairs.

Excruciating. Without having been stung by one you have no frame of reference to comprehend how ****ing awful it is.

Well, that's ****ing terrifying

Can you compare it to the sting of those hairy asps?
imho not even close to the pain of and asp ......and it goes away pretty quickly
OasisMan
AG
nealan said:

Don't mistake their kindness for weakness !!!
Allen76
AG
copied from online:

Quote:

While we may think of them as pesky pests buzzing around our backyards, paper wasps actually play an important role in our ecosystem by pollinating flowers and preying on other insects like caterpillars that are considered agricultural pests.

So there is that.

I will leave nests alone if they are up high enough, but usually some family member eventually spots them and sprays them.

I do hate red wasps though.
Cyprian
AG
jwoodmd said:

Andrew Dufresne said:

This is the third year in a row that some of these have nested right above my front door. They've never once been aggressive towards me so I always just leave them alone. What kind are they?

The kind you kill

That's the only kind of wasp there is
FrioAg 00
AG
Fun fact: though called an "ant" they are actually a type of wasp, where the female is wingless.

And I love killing those things because their exoskeleton is so strong you have to smash them against something hard to take them out. Stomping them into the dirt just pisses them off.
agz win
AG
And now a different one. He's just dancing around. Striking blue colors and now climbing a tall mature pine. Any idea?

B-1 83
AG
agz win said:

And now a different one. He's just dancing around. Striking blue colors and now climbing a tall mature pine. Any idea?

That's a variety of mud dobber
Being in TexAgs jail changes a man……..no, not really
Tecolote
AG
Watchful Ag said:

OP: they've never once been aggressive towards me

Angry Wasp: keep walking …

I want to find OP and his house just to kill that ****er. Put a can of foaming kick ass all over him and then squash him while flapping around on the ground.
SharkinAg
AG
Tecolote said:

Watchful Ag said:

OP: they've never once been aggressive towards me

Angry Wasp: keep walking …

I want to find OP and his house just to kill that ****er. Put a can of foaming kick ass all over him and then squash him while flapping around on the ground.

Squashing it makes it too quick for them.
agz win
AG
Thanks. I'm learning things.
Gigem_94
AG
Ghost of Bisbee said:

I've been stung by both. The asp was way worse.
FrioAg 00
AG
Surprisingly enough, because they certainly look like spawn of Satan, but recently being stung by a scorpion a few times hurt way less than I expected it to.

The sting also only lasted like 2-3 minutes. I was shocked and sort of felt silly for how scared I'd always been of them.
WestTexAg12
AG

Ringed paper wasp
I got stung by one of these *******s two weeks ago. Was replacing a sprinkler head in the flower beds and there was a small next above me. Damn thing dive-bombed me and stung me right behind my right shoulder near the base of my neck. Hurt like hell for about 20 minutes and lingered for about a day.
The Fife
Rattler12 said:

Andrew Dufresne said:

Man, if they were some red wasps or yellowjackets I probably would have already taken them out considering that the nest is right above my door. Like I said though, these things don't even seem to notice me.

SOON.....
Rattler12
The Fife said:

Rattler12 said:

Andrew Dufresne said:

SOON.....
Yep ....that one is already giving him the stink eye...

Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.