Outdoors
Sponsored by

Dude kills suspect that stole his truck

10,870 Views | 77 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by BrazosDog02
Cowboy Curtis
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
cheeky
AG
"If your vehicle is stolen, I know it's frustrating. But please don't take matters into your own hands (just like we don't)."

What a joke.

This is the way.
highvelocity
AG
no workers comp pendejo!
River Bass
This is vigilante or frontier justice and it is how most of our country led to civilization.
It is rooted deep in our nation's history and character.
In the absence of functional law enforcement, its the only option.

txags92
AG
River Bass said:

This is vigilante or frontier justice and it is how most of our country led to civilization.

That is the way I view it. If the police and local leaders don't want people hunting down thieves and killing them, they should do a better job of pursuing the thieves themselves when people report something stolen. The absence of effective law enforcement is what leads to this.
Aggieangler93
AG
txags92 said:

River Bass said:

That is the way I view it. If the police and local leaders don't want people hunting down thieves and killing them, they should do a better job of pursuing the thieves themselves when people report something stolen. The absence of effective law enforcement is what leads to this.
It's scary that it comes down to this, we have to handle it ourselves, and their stinky liberal asses will then allow us to be sued out of existence by the very aholes that raised them to be thieves and killers.
Class of '93 - proud Dad of a '22 grad and a '26 student!
Birdbear
AG
txaggie_08 said:

Quote:

"If you are to get your vehicle stolen, I know that it's frustrating, but please do not take matters into your own hands like this," Soliz said.
Well you sure can't count on law enforcement to take care of it.

Had a friend get his truck stolen at a work lunch the other day. He had the gps location on his phone and PD still said they wouldn't do anything. Him and a couple others had to strap up and go steal it back.

That's where we are now in the big cities.
Watchful Ag
AG
How did it all go down? Roll up with a spare key?
Kenneth_2003
AG
I posted this elsewhere....

Quote:

Seems that maybe doing something about the stolen truck would have been easier than the homicide investigation.
Owner: Hey Police, my truck was stolen and I've got the exact GPS location from a tracker!
Police: We don't have time for that.
Owner: I'm going to go get my truck.
Police: Don't do that. Leave it to us.
Owner: You said you don't have time!
Police: ...
Owner: Hey you guys got time for a shooting investigation? BTW, I got my truck back!
txags92
AG
I've said all along, this is the logical outcome from police abandoning their duty to enforce the laws. When they refuse to do it, people will start doing it for themselves. And if I am ever on the jury for somebody who does, I am going to refuse to convict them.
jtp01
AG
My sister's pickup was stolen at SA livestock show this year.
SanAntoneAg
AG
Well put. This, plain and simple.
Gig 'em! '90
Trucker 96
I would never convict someone for killing a car thief. I don't care how premeditated or unfair the fight ends up being
TikkaShooter
I think its normal to be upset that the police departments in all major cities DGAF

I don't think its normal to be "meh" about killing someone for a truck. Kinda shocked how many posters here are applauding the "i'll happily hunt down and kill a thief" mentality. Y'all need to see your pcp and get a script for some SSRI's.
maroon barchetta
It's a lot of talk. Nothing more. We see it all the time.
Harry Stone
AG
TikkaShooter said:

I think its normal to be upset that the police departments in all major cities DGAF

I don't think its normal to be "meh" about killing someone for a truck. Kinda shocked how many posters here are applauding the "i'll happily hunt down and kill a thief" mentality. Y'all need to see your pcp and get a script for some SSRI's.

ssri's are awful. so are criminals.
Harry Stone
AG
90% of police are worthless
Trucker 96
Oh look, Gen SSRI checking in. How impressive
Txducker
AG
Trucker 96 said:

I would never convict someone for killing a car thief. I don't care how premeditated or unfair the fight ends up being
If was good enough for horse thieves then …. Iron horses deserve the same respect.
rlb28
AG
jtp01 said:

i read somewhere that 75 trucks were stolen there.
Kenneth_2003
AG
TikkaShooter said:

Ahhh yes, let's just accept the downfall of civil society, coddle the thieves, and for the hard working Joe that will never be made whole the zombie trance of synthetic drugs.
Ol_Ag_02
AG
TikkaShooter said:

Remember the thief is the one that decided their life is only worth a truck, dirt bike, trailer, catalytic converter, or in the case of the Houston food truck owner, $50.
txags92
AG
TikkaShooter said:

Easy solution for the people who are worried about people being killed for stealing a truck. Stop stealing trucks. If it isn't worth killing somebody over, it isn't worth dying for either. All of this stops if people stop stealing things or the public has some reason to believe the police will help them if it does. As long as theft is rampant and the police refuse to do anything to help, IMO people are justified to use force to protect their $50+k vehicles.
rlb28
AG
https://texags.com/forums/34/topics/3346333
River Bass
Quote:

I don't think it's normal to be "meh" about killing someone for a truck. Kinda shocked how many posters here are applauding the "i'll happily hunt down and kill a thief" mentality.

You should find it shocking. Maybe when enough people are shocked they will pressure police / judges to do their job.

I think you need to get used to vigilante justice. It was common and natural in the 19th century and it looks like it will be in the 21st century as well.

Bradley.Kohr.II
AG
This is Texas. Killing thieves is in our Constitution.

ALL laws are, eventually, enforced by killing.
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
rlb28 said:

jtp01 said:

i read somewhere that 75 trucks were stolen there.
I would have taken the over on that.

Person Not Capable of Pregnancy
BlackGoldAg2011
AG
txags92 said:

TikkaShooter said:

Easy solution for the people who are worried about people being killed for stealing a truck. Stop stealing trucks. If it isn't worth killing somebody over, it isn't worth dying for either. All of this stops if people stop stealing things or the public has some reason to believe the police will help them if it does. As long as theft is rampant and the police refuse to do anything to help, IMO people are justified to use force to protect their $50+k vehicles.
this is the exact type of lesson I was teaching my 6 y.o. daughter this weekend after she came crying that her 4 yo brother punched her in the face. Turned out she had been harassing him verbally and physically and he finally snapped and clocked her. my lesson to her was that, while it was not ok that he punched her, that sometimes when we hurt people, they will hurt you back whether or not it is right, and so often, the best way to not get hurt, is to not hurt/be mean to others. if a 6 year old can understand this, it shouldn't be hard to teach to adults. don't play stupid games, and usually, you wont win stupid prizes.
Bassmaster
AG
Watchful Ag said:

How did it all go down? Roll up with a spare key?
Not a spare key....just the key.
Lance in Round Mountain
AG
txaggie_08 said:

Quote:

"If you are to get your vehicle stolen, I know that it's frustrating, but please do not take matters into your own hands like this," Soliz said.
Well you sure can't count on law enforcement to take care of it.
Uvalde PD on line 1.
agracer
AG
TikkaShooter said:

Congrats on being part of the problem.
schmellba99
AG
highvelocity said:

really wish people would stop victimizing criminals that **** around and find out.

"no life is worth a thing" argument is so played out. if you're a criminal and get smoked whilst doing criminal things, throw some dirt on them and move on.
Motherfuggin TRUTH spoken here folks. TRUTH.

The "no life is worth a thing" is a stupid statement. Because the victim didn't make the choice as to what the life was worth, the fuggin criminal did the second they decided to steal from somebody. If they get smoke checked over a pack of juicy fruit bubble gum, oh well - they made the decision that is all their life is worth, not the victim that was getting robbed (or worse).
schmellba99
AG
agwrestler said:

Morpholino said:

Quote:

What are you suppose to do, wait until the truck is found in Mexico or taken apart in a chop shop?

In SA (or any other majormetro area), you could provide real time GPS, pictures and video while LEO are preoccupied with traffic accidents.
In Harris county they won't bother because the democrat black magic judges will just release the criminal on a PR bond and they'll subsequently walk out the courthouse door and go right back to committing crimes again.

If politicians and LEO's don't want vigilante justice or victims to take matters into their own hands - maybe, and I'm just spitballing here - the justice system needs to do it's fuggin job, because if it did people wouldn't feel as if they have to take matters into their own hands. I know, crazy talk!
schmellba99
AG
txyaloo said:

txags92 said:

3 Toed Pete said:

BlackGoldAg2011 said:

• So owner tracks down stolen truck and confronts the thief. (no crime here)
  • owner believes the thief pulled or was trying to pull a gun. (reasonable fear for life, even if no gun is found)
  • owner smokes the bad guy, defending his own life with lethal force (justifiable homicide, pretty cut and dry).

seems to me unless there is video evidence that the truck owner approached the thief already waving his gun around (or the owner says something really stupid to police), this is (or should be) a pretty open and shut case of a self defense shooting.
I agree with you. Unfortunately, there will almost certainly be a civil trial where the dead man's family sues and wins a large settlement from the shooter. That's the part most people never think about and only consider whether or not they could be charged with a crime. Our legal system does not favor the honest, law-abiding citizens, especially in Texas' major metro areas.
This is really something our legislature should address. If somebody is found to have been justified in using deadly force, it should be illegal to sue them for damages resulting from that use.
The Legislature did address this about 15 years ago. You can be sued for property damage but generally have civil immunity for personal injury/death as a result of a good shoot

Quote:

CIVIL PRACTICE AND REMEDIES CODE

TITLE 4. LIABILITY IN TORT

CHAPTER 83. USE OF FORCE OR DEADLY FORCE

Sec. 83.001. CIVIL IMMUNITY. A defendant who uses force or deadly force that is justified under Chapter 9, Penal Code, is immune from civil liability for personal injury or death that results from the defendant's use of force or deadly force, as applicable.

Yep.

That doesn't mean you still won't incur costs (both time and money) because some race baiting ambulance chaser convinces the family of little didndonuffin to sue you anyway. I would like to see the immunity strengthened more to prevent such things from happening, or have legislation stating that if you are the perp's family and sue in civil court and it is tossed like it should be, you and your legal team not only pay all court costs of all parties, but also owe restitution to the victim you tried to sue and are required to do something like....say 1000 hours minimum of community service within 1 calendar year and a day in jail for any hour not completed within that calendar year.

The laws should be decidedly in favor of the victim. They currently lean that way, but it doesn't lean far enough or step enough IMO.
McInnis
AG
I'll bet that guy's lawyer is going to educate the jury on the Tueller drill.
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.