Outdoors
Sponsored by

License plate - stolen?

1,840 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Tony Franklins Other Shoe
TH36
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I was outside bumming around with the family earlier and looked at the front of my truck which had no license plate. Screws are there but no plate. Leads me to believe it could've been stolen?

A call to Dad (who's supposed to know everything) and google search does really bring up anything about stolen plates and what to do? I see I can just apply for replacement plates online but if I do that couldn't someone still be using it on the toll road?

Lovely thing to be thinking about the day I pass my Master plumbers exam!
Trolley Problems
File a police report in case it shows up on a stolen vehicle and used in the commission of a crime. Might save you a minor headache later.

Get new plates from DMV. Don't forget to cancel/change your toll tag if you have one.
ShouldastayedataTm
That is likely exactly what will happen, definitely let the toll road authority know sooner rather than later or your bill will skyrocket.
TRIDENT
AG
Congratulations on passing your Master Plumbers exam! The license plate theft will be minor annoyance, but that license is a game changer.
op_06
AG
Report your plate as stolen. It'll be entered into TCIC/NCIC as a stolen plate. Remove your remaining plate and go to tax assessor in person. Walk out with new plates in hand for ~$7.
Picard
AG
TRIDENT said:

Congratulations on passing your Master Plumbers exam! The license plate theft will be minor annoyance, but that license is a game changer.

Yes congrats! And now you have an opportunity to get a custom plate to commemorate the new plumbing license.

toolshed
AG
Who steals the plate and then takes the time to put the screws back in?
AgFan85
S
This doesn't really help you but I used a license plate recognition search function the other day for the first time. They have cars with cameras constantly driving around scanning license plates and taking pics and grabbing the location.

Theoretically you would be able to search your plate and see pics to determine what kind of vehicle it is on now and use the location tags to narrow down general area the vehicles owner lives.

Not really beneficial to you though, it would take a while to get enough scans to be of any help. Its more for stolen cars and skip tracing.
maroon barchetta
AgFan85 said:

This doesn't really help you but I used a license plate recognition search function the other day for the first time. They have cars with cameras constantly driving around scanning license plates and taking pics and grabbing the location.

Theoretically you would be able to search your plate and see pics to determine what kind of vehicle it is on now and use the location tags to narrow down general area the vehicles owner lives.

Not really beneficial to you though, it would take a while to get enough scans to be of any help. Its more for stolen cars and skip tracing.

Link?
AgFan85
S
I use it through the TLO or Tacers website, they both have access to it. Not sure what credentials you need to use it though. I am registered with them as a PI and process server.
TH36
toolshed said:

Who steals the plate and then takes the time to put the screws back in?

That's what I thought as well. I went out and looked harder and there's a piece of metal still around one of the screws/holders. I'm guessing it got ripped off somewhere but I don't wanna take the chance that it was a human that ripped it off. I sent a email to the toll authority last night and also checked my latest tolls which that doesn't show anything new. I'll contact the DMV today.

Side note, thanks everyone for the congrats. If ya don't go to college these are big milestones for people like me. Opens other doors up, basically I can either do nothing with it or do lots more. My plan is to do lots more with it.
Shoefly!
AG
Congrats on your exam. I know several master plumber's that have made themselves quite a bit of money. Especially when they own their own company.
Go to tax accessors office report it stolen and replace.
jrbaggie
Congratulations on your test. You must have study both questions really long.

1. Downhill
2. Paydays on Friday

I kid, I kid! Really congrats!
TH36
jrbaggie said:

1. Downhill
2. Paydays on Friday

Haha yes if only it were that simple all the time. Thanks!

Update: got new plates yesterday. Crisis averted. The more I think about it, I think the screws wore through it and it fell off or got ripped off.
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
jrbaggie said:

1. Downhill
2. Paydays on Friday

You forgot:

Don't chew on your fingernails.

*I come from a family full of electricians.

Person Not Capable of Pregnancy
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.