Outdoors
Sponsored by

Texas Constitutional Carry passes House

59,405 Views | 604 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by txyaloo
GSS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Texas House passed HB1927, now it goes to the Senate.
NRA Life
TSRA Life
BenderRodriguez
AG
Outstanding!
Unemployed
AG
https://www.houstonpublicmedia.org/articles/news/politics/guns/2021/04/14/395788/supporters-of-permitless-carry-for-texas-gunowners-feel-momentum/

Quote:

Raul Camacho, chief firearm instructor at Safety Measures, disagreed with that thinking.
"Just like any other amendment that we have or any constitutional right that we have there's rules in place," he told Houston Public Media. "The logic that constitutional carry or any of the Bill of Rights that we have is absolute is incorrect."
Camacho is part of a group of license-to-carry instructors that voiced their opposition to constitutional carry bills on the steps of the Texas Capitol Tuesday.

Shocking!!!
IamGroot
AG
II am certain to be in the minority, but I prefer the license. I believe a certain level of training should be a requirement.
EMY92
AG
I can see the LTC trainers being against this. It will kill their businesses.
Bird Poo
AG
IamGroot said:

II am certain to be in the minority, but I prefer the license. I believe a certain level of training should be a requirement.

I used to think this way, but I believe the police will be neutered in the coming years. People have to protect themselves and their families from what is coming. Exercising a constitutional right should require no training.
BCStalk
A blind man with little gun knowledge can pass that test.
average_joker
AG
PearlJammin said:

IamGroot said:

I used to think this way, but I believe the police will be neutered in the coming years. People have to protect themselves and their families from what is coming. Exercising a constitutional right should require no training.

The data from the other states that have it already is more than enough to make me feel fine about it.
LilSebastian13
AG
I'd like to read about this. Do you have a link?
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
IamGroot said:

Should you have to have a license to practice religion? Speech?
Owner of Texian Firearms:
Dealer in Firearms, Optics, Night Vision and other shooting accessories.
US importer/distributor of Rudolph Optics
Supporting bad financial decisions since 2015
Stringfellow Hawke
AG
Van Buren Boy
AG
RealTalk said:

https://www.houstonpublicmedia.org/articles/news/politics/guns/2021/04/14/395788/supporters-of-permitless-carry-for-texas-gunowners-feel-momentum/

Quote:

Raul Camacho, chief firearm instructor at Safety Measures, disagreed with that thinking.
"Just like any other amendment that we have or any constitutional right that we have there's rules in place," he told Houston Public Media. "The logic that constitutional carry or any of the Bill of Rights that we have is absolute is incorrect."
Camacho is part of a group of license-to-carry instructors that voiced their opposition to constitutional carry bills on the steps of the Texas Capitol Tuesday.

Shocking!!!

If the bill dies in the senate, don't forget Camacho and his friends.
Gunny456
AG
No
aTm2004
AG
It's almost as if he has a financial interest in requiring a LTC.
BCStalk
Yes
aTm2004
AG
BCStalk said:

A blind man with little gun knowledge can pass that test.

Yep. There was a man in my class who had to be in his 50s who had never shot a gun before. The instructor had to show him how to load the mag, rack the slide, etc. Come the shooting part, he sent one to the top right of the target of the gal to his left. Dude passed.
agsalaska
AG
aTm2004 said:

It's almost as if he has a financial interest in requiring a LTC.
Exactly.

He is not entirely wrong. But his motives are obvious.

I hope this passes. It should pass.
Unemployed
AG
EMY92 said:

Yeah I know. I was being sarcastic.
BCStalk
We had a lady in ours that shot the ground a couple times. Her shooting was not terrible once she figured it out, but it seemed that she had little to no practice. Looking at her target she probably passed. I'm assuming she had her finger on the trigger at low ready but I couldn't see from where I was standing.
Gunny456
AG
Gunny456
AG
schmellba99
AG
GSS said:

Texas House passed HB1927, now it goes to the Senate.

Think it still has to go through3rd reading tomorrow before it heads to the senate. But it passed 2nd reading,today 85-56, which is a solid majority.
schmellba99
AG
average_joker said:

PearlJammin said:

IamGroot said:

The data from the other states that have it already is more than enough to make me feel fine about it.

This. 21 other states have it already, if it was problematic, we would know.
bkag9824
AG
So what's the likelihood this actually passes?
BuddysBud
AG
TheEyeGuy said:

IamGroot said:

Should you have to have a license to practice religion? Speech?

The way things are going we might need licenses for religion and speech in 2-4 years.
kyledr04
AG
Haven't seen the bill. Will they still offer a LTC to allow reciprocal carry in other states that still require the license?
BenderRodriguez
AG
EMY92 said:

If the only way you can generate business is a government mandate that people use your services, you absolutely deserve to go out of business.

People who teach skills will continue to be able to fill classes.
Gunny456
AG
It is good but has a hidden down side. Example. Missouri some other states passed it but because of no CCL or LTC needed, now all folks have to be called in for background check for firearm purchases from a FFL. ...whereas before you could show the dealer your CCL Or LTC and he did not have to call it in like Texas.
Gunny456
AG
This.
Aggieangler93
AG
So does the LTC program go away completely if they pass this? Or would it still be available to those that want to take the class and qualify for reciprocity purposes in other states when travelling?
Class of '93 - proud Dad of a '22 grad and a '26 student!
Gunny456
AG
Most states that have open carry still have the option to still get the training to get a LTC. Thus having the LTC if traveling out of said state to states that have reciprocy. Missouri is an example of such.
El Chupacabra
Van Buren Boy said:

RealTalk said:

Quote:

Shocking!!!

If the bill dies in the senate, don't forget Camacho and his friends.

https://crumpy.com/letter-from-ltc-instructors-of-texas-to-house-members/

https://www.scribd.com/document/503038622/Letter-From-LTC-Instructors-of-Texas-to-House-Members
Kenneth_2003
AG
EMY92 said:

Yet mostly the class covers the legal framework that we're bound to when carrying. This eliminates that.
TexasAggie73
AG
We have a right to carry a weapon, but what amount ammunition? Is ammunition spelled out? The courts could have fun with that if a license to purchase ammunition was required. Yes I know a weapon without ammunition is almost worthless except as a club.
TexShootMan
Good, it needs to pass. It's about time the great state of Texas better recognized our rights under the 2nd Amendment. Creating a "qualification" to exercise a right that our Constitution guaranteed to every citizen was poor thinking from the start. We are now just passing a law that reiterates what was already laid out a couple hundred years ago. I'll be happy to see this pass in the state Senate and go to Governor Abbott.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.