Outdoors
Sponsored by

Texas Constitutional Carry passes House

59,591 Views | 604 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by txyaloo
schmellba99
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Louisiana senate just passed Constitutional Carry, so we are about to be surrounded by freedom
Muzzleblast
It's not a typo.

He's sponsoring the House Bill in the Senate.
planoaggie123
AG
Fear not....apparently we are making progress on a dog and cat bill....
DatTallArchitect
AG
It's crazy to think that close to half of the states in this country have Constitutional Carry, yet Texas doesn't. As another poster said.... How does Vermont and Maine have it but not Texas?
AG
It's truly embarrassing.

Of all states not to have it.

We're freaking TEXAS.
$240 Worth of Pudding
AG
4 said:

It's truly embarrassing.

We're freaking TEXAS.
Texas is pretty purple these days as much as it pains me to state that.
The past 20 years have played hell with the political demographics.
BigHead 04
AG
BigHead 04 said:

That surprised me too!

Sure enough, two senators were added last night!!

https://legiscan.com/TX/bill/HB1927/2021

And another name added....Springer! Gaining steam I hope?
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
O.G.
SWC Ag said:

4 said:

It's truly embarrassing.

We're freaking TEXAS.
Texas is pretty purple these days as much as it pains me to state that.
The past 20 years have played hell with the political demographics.
It's not just that. Abbot is a poll driven governor. He doesn't get behind an issue until he knows for sure that the wind is in his favor. That isn't leadership. Which is why Oklahoma and other surrounding states lead us issues like this one.
AG
Abbott isn't the problem on this issue. Dan Patrick is.
samurai_science
4 said:

He is a problem as well, his weakness on masks and opening up proves hes no leader.
schmellba99
AG
4 said:

It's truly embarrassing.

We're freaking TEXAS.
Hate to break this to you, but for all the bluff and bluster that Texas and Texans have - Texas isn't all that gun friendly, and hasn't been for a long, long, long time.

21 other states already have constitutional carry, we will be middle of the pack at best if it passes.

But, as they say....far better late than never!
AG
samurai_texan said:

4 said:

He is a problem as well, his weakness on masks and opening up proves hes no leader.

Agree
AG
schmellba99 said:

4 said:

It's truly embarrassing.

We're freaking TEXAS.
Hate to break this to you, but for all the bluff and bluster that Texas and Texans have - Texas isn't all that gun friendly, and hasn't been for a long, long, long time.

21 other states already have constitutional carry, we will be middle of the pack at best if it passes.

I agree with you. That was kind of my point.
JSKolache
AG
schmellba99 said:

4 said:

It's truly embarrassing.

We're freaking TEXAS.

Agree. Texas is gun-friendly for sure, but in context, there are other states throwing the reigns completely off, opening wider, and passing us by.

Anyway, I emailed Sen. Kolkhorst & response indicates she's definitely on board as expected.
txags92
AG
JSKolache said:

schmellba99 said:

4 said:

It's truly embarrassing.

We're freaking TEXAS.

Agree. Texas is gun-friendly for sure, but in context, there are other states throwing the reigns completely off, opening wider, and passing us by.

Anyway, I emailed Sen. Kolkhorst & response indicates she's definitely on board as expected.
She and schwertner are the co-sponsors in the senate.
txags92
AG
schmellba99 said:

4 said:

It's truly embarrassing.

We're freaking TEXAS.

And you can trace most of it to the N. Texas republicans. They aren't really all that clear on what being conservative is really about, and getting most of the party agenda items passed generally involves dragging a few of them kicking and screaming to make the votes that should be no-brainers for them. On the other hand, I am still waiting for Paul Bettencourt to let us know where he stands. He needs to get off the fence and stand on one side or the other before we just assume he is on the other side and start working on finding his replacement.
c-jags
txags92 said:

schmellba99 said:

4 said:

It's truly embarrassing.

We're freaking TEXAS.

And you can trace most of it to the N. Texas republicans. They aren't really all that clear on what being conservative is really about, and getting most of the party agenda items passed generally involves dragging a few of them kicking and screaming to make the votes that should be no-brainers for them.
Most of people in Wendy Davis' district didn't even know she was running as a democrat at the time. Then she kept getting elected.

I appreciate Tarrant County for holding off the tide of Dallas to a degree, but we're not getting their best and brightest.
AG
txags92 said:

schmellba99 said:

4 said:

It's truly embarrassing.

We're freaking TEXAS.

And you can trace most of it to the N. Texas republicans. They aren't really all that clear on what being conservative is really about, and getting most of the party agenda items passed generally involves dragging a few of them kicking and screaming to make the votes that should be no-brainers for them. On the other hand, I am still waiting for Paul Bettencourt to let us know where he stands. He needs to get off the fence and stand on one side or the other before we just assume he is on the other side and start working on finding his replacement.
he's my senator. I've emailed him numerous times with no answer. I just called his office and got a voicemail.
The fact that he's a Republican senator and has not publicly stated his support for this legislation leads me to believe that he doesn't support it.

Any Texas Republican senator that does not vote for this bill needs to know he will be replaced, full stop.
O.G.
4 said:

Any Texas Republican senator that does not vote for this bill needs to know he will be replaced, full stop.
I said that in my message to Schwertner.
txags92
AG
4 said:

txags92 said:

schmellba99 said:

4 said:

It's truly embarrassing.

We're freaking TEXAS.

he's my senator. I've emailed him numerous times with no answer. I just called his office and got a voicemail.
The fact that he's a Republican senator and has not publicly stated his support for this legislation leads me to believe that he doesn't support it.

Yeah, he is my senator too and I emailed him yesterday. No reply at all. Whoever decides to primary him next time he is up for reelection might be about to get a new campaign volunteer.
Post removed:
by user
AG
Amendments
Two key amendments would boost criminal penalties for felons and others who illegally carry a weapon and would strip language from HB 1927 that bans police officers from stopping or questioning somebody solely to inquire about a visible handgun.

Other amendments would:

Add a prohibition against carrying a weapon while intoxicated that exists in current law.

Abolish the $40 fee to obtain a license for those who need a permit to carry in other states under reciprocity agreements.

Ensure that sensitive areas such as schools, hospitals and polling places can ban firearms.

Require the Department of Public Safety to create a free online course on gun laws and safety.
AG
On the surface, I have no problem with any of those amendments.
TdoubleH
AG
Patrick was on WBAP this afternoon and said it was going to the floor for a vote next week. Said he was "optimistic".
dr_boogs
AG
This one may be a problem -

Ensure that sensitive areas such as schools, hospitals and polling places can ban firearms.

Given the progress we made on campus carry, would that amendment allow state universities to circle back and ban concealed carry, or is this amendment limited to open carry? Needs clarification.
BigHead 04
AG
That by itself is monumental!!! He has been a closet anti the last 2 legislative session. The bonnen fiasco last year shielded him from taking a stand.

I'm starting to feel good about it. That yankee ***** better not screw this up.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Sooper Jeenyus
AG
4 said:

strip language from HB 1927 that bans police officers from stopping or questioning somebody solely to inquire about a visible handgun.
What would be the effect with the language modification? More or less grounds for interaction?

If you can be stopped and questioned for exercising a right, how "constitutional" is it really?
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
Sooper Jeenyus said:

4 said:

strip language from HB 1927 that bans police officers from stopping or questioning somebody solely to inquire about a visible handgun.
What would be the effect with the language modification? More or less grounds for interaction?

If you can be stopped and questioned for exercising a right, how "constitutional" is it really?
I do not like this one at all.
Owner of Texian Firearms:
Dealer in Firearms, Optics, Night Vision and other shooting accessories.
US importer/distributor of Rudolph Optics
Supporting bad financial decisions since 2015
TacosaurusRex
I know this isn't the politics board, but Dan Patrick sure seems like a giant D bag.
"If you are reading this, I have passed on from this world — not as big a deal for you as it was for me."
T. Boone Pickens
AG
TheEyeGuy said:

Sooper Jeenyus said:

4 said:

That one is there to get the police officers on board.

The truth of it is that if you look and act like a normal law abiding person, this will likely never affect you.

If you are loitering on a street corner at 1:00 in the morning with gang tattoos all over you and a VISIBLE firearm, yeah, they may stop and question you.

DatTallArchitect
AG
4 said:

TheEyeGuy said:

Sooper Jeenyus said:

4 said:

The truth of it is that if you look and act like a normal law abiding person, this will likely never affect you.

If you are loitering on a street corner at 1:00 in the morning with gang tattoos all over you and a VISIBLE firearm, yeah, they may stop and question you.

It sure opens the door for profiling.....
AG
Profiling is smart.
Ogre09
AG
TacosaurusRex said:

I know this isn't the politics board, but Dan Patrick sure seems like a giant D bag.

Most politicians are
Daddy-O5
AG
4 said:

TheEyeGuy said:

Sooper Jeenyus said:

4 said:

Probably. But the door is wide open for abuse.
Bradley.Kohr.II
AG
The school one is BS.
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm Reliance on the Protection of Divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our lives, our Fortunes, & our sacred Honor."

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.