Outdoors
Sponsored by

*****2021 Gardening Thread *****

38,731 Views | 362 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by maddiedou
Build It
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
1/3 peat, 1/3 course vermiculite, 1/3 of 3 kinds of compost manure. Cow, chicken and worm castings.
SharkinAg
AG
Build It said:

1/3 peat, 1/3 course vermiculite, 1/3 of 3 kinds of compost manure. Cow, chicken and worm castings.

Thanks. I was recommended 1/2 sandy loam and 1/2 compost. Any thoughts to this? Cucumbers and okra will be in this bed.
zooguy96
SharkinAg said:

Build It said:

Thanks. I was recommended 1/2 sandy loam and 1/2 compost. Any thoughts to this? Cucumbers and okra will be in this bed.

I wouldn't have sandy anything for okra. They really like clay soil.
SharkinAg
AG
zooguy96 said:

SharkinAg said:

Build It said:

I wouldn't have sandy anything for okra. They really like clay soil.

The soil underneath the bed is solid clay. I actually just finished framing it out today. 5x12x12in. I'm planning on filling it next weekend. What do y'all recommend for okra and cucumbers?
Build It
AG
B-1 83 said:

Now as your neighbors foolishly rake and bag their leaves, collect them and use them as mulch.
My agronomist friend, I'd like to use leaf mold compost as my tomato beds mulch this year. I need about 15 cubic feet.

Options are:

• Pre-bagged leaf compost from garden store.
  • Grab my neighbors bag of leaves and rake mine ( do they need to be shredded)
  • Take my wagon to our neighborhood forest and rake up some forest floor leaves ( shred these?)

I ask because I have no lawn mower and if needs to be shredded I either invest in a leaf shredder or by bags.

Thanks!

ag_pete09
AG
Buy. Your leaves won't be compost in the amount of time you have unless you take the naturally composted from neighborhood "forest".
Build It
AG
Obvious next question is if I already have plenty of manure compost in my soil mix does it need to be leaf mold or will shredded leaves be just as good and I'll just turn them over in August and let them compost in place?

Hehateme1
Asparagus crowns going in the ground today !!
B-1 83
AG
Build It said:

B-1 83 said:

Now as your neighbors foolishly rake and bag their leaves, collect them and use them as mulch.
My agronomist friend, I'd like to use leaf mold compost as my tomato beds mulch this year. I need about 15 cubic feet.

Options are:

• Pre-bagged leaf compost from garden store.
  • Grab my neighbors bag of leaves and rake mine ( do they need to be shredded)
  • Take my wagon to our neighborhood forest and rake up some forest floor leaves ( shred these?)

I ask because I have no lawn mower and if needs to be shredded I either invest in a leaf shredder or by bags.

Thanks!

Let's understand the difference between "mulch" and "compost". Quality compost is organic material that has been pretty much broken down by flora and fauna to its most basic form. It is fine to mix it with the soil for improved tilth , water holding capacity, and fertility (depending on the source). Mulches are raw organic products used on the surface only. They hold moisture, shade weeds, and turn to compost over time. When tilled in (especially near planting time) they often rob the garden of nutrients (the soil flora and fauna use the available ones to live and break down the raw material).

If you're just now getting after it, by all means use the compost, and then use the leaves as a mulch. I've been doing it for so long, even live oak leaves pretty much disappear in a couple of months.
Build It
AG
Without a leaf shredder I'll probably mulch with the leaf mold this year. However I did just source some cheap cotton burr compost I may use instead.
Farmers Fight 06
AG
I wanted to share my garden this year. We've had a difficult time the last three years with deer eating everything we planted so we bought a raised bed kit with high fencing and a watering system built in. We've planted carrots, asparagus, snap peas, beans, peppers, squash, zucchini, broccoli, brussel sprouts, and onions. I've got strawberry plants and tomatoes still in planters. Planning to see if I can fit in okra, cantaloupe, watermelon still. Probably have too many plants for our space but the kids and I got carried away.

maddiedou
AG
All I have to say is wow. That is ao impressive. People do not know the cost that we put in just to have a garden
maddiedou
SharkinAg
AG
Looks great!
RED AG 98
AG
What are everyone's favorite tomatoes to grow? Looking to mix it up this year. We love slicers and cherry tomatoes.

My favorites that I've grown are probably Sun Gold and Beefsteak. Also usually do a few Husky Cherry because they are pretty good and really dang prolific, at least for me.

I've had Brandywine and Cherokee Purple that were amazing but have never grown them.

(I'm in the Austin area.)
Martin Cash
AG
rdunham98 said:

What are everyone's favorite tomatoes to grow? Looking to mix it up this year. We love slicers and cherry tomatoes.

My favorites that I've grown are probably Sun Gold and Beefsteak. Also usually do a few Husky Cherry because they are pretty good and really dang prolific, at least for me.

I've had Brandywine and Cherokee Purple that were amazing but have never grown them.

Romas. EOT
zooguy96
Romas and yellow tomatoes for salsa. I usually grow about 12 different varieties. There is a local variety here in East Tennessee that everyone likes.
Build It
AG
Parks Whopper, 2 Champion, Juliet, 2 Sweet Million, 2 beefmaster, Heirlooms are Black Krim, Brandywine, Carmelo, Mortgage Lifter, Beefsteak and Roma.

White, yellow, purple onions, garlic, and some bunching onions to fill in between plants. I quit counting at 80 or so onion starts. Still a couple spare bags for something else. 4 bags of carrots.

Everything is in the ground. Still need a couple hours work on the drip system to be fully operational.

Then on to a cucumber experiment.

hellapark
AG
I have grown Cherokee Purples and Juliets for the past two years, and have planted more this year.

Juilets are good for sauce and salsa, similar to romas, they are also good in salads similar to cherries and grapes.

Cherokees are my favorite tasting mater. Good for slicing but not quite as prolific since they are heirlooms.

I'm trying some Phoenix this year because I hear they do well in the Texas heat and are almost impossible to crack.
B-1 83
AG
rdunham98 said:

Year in, and year out, Celebrity is my "go to". There's a little heirloom yellow pear that is also outstanding.
hellapark
AG
What part of the world are you in that you're putting out onion sets and carrots in March?
maddiedou
AG
I know right. I plant mine in mid november but They normally start to sell again in january february

So I guess planting in March is fine just never heard of it

maddiedou
Build It
AG
Houston and yes they grow just fine here in the spring
maddiedou
AG
Give us a picture when you pull the onions

If they work I think that is awesome I plant mine in November and still dont pull till may.

But I have plenty room so It does not bother my garden room wise
maddiedou
Build It
AG
Spring onions don't get as big, but big enough.
RED AG 98
AG
Thanks all! I got Sun Gold, Celebrity, Beefsteak, Cherokee Purple, Roma and Brandywine in the ground today. Kinda on the early side but the 10 day forecast looks promising.

I've eaten many a homegrown tomato but I honestly don't think I've ever had homegrown Roma; very interested to give them a try. Years ago when we didn't garden we bought them at the grocer because they were the best tasting option at the time. Now if we buy it's mostly cherry (Nature's Gold, Flavor Bomb, etc) as they seem to have the most flavor. The grocery store slicers are for the most part not even worth eating.
hellapark
AG
What variety of onions? If you plant now when do they start to bulb?

How do your carrots turn out that are planted this time of year? In the past, those I have left to pull when it's warm haven't been very sweet.
maddiedou
AG
That is because they pull them green and they ripen on the way here

Your tomatoes are ripening on the vine and are actually vine ripe tomatoes

maddiedou
fav13andac1)c
AG
Anybody have experience with composting? This will be the 1st year I try it. I'm starting off with one bin because I don't have room for a full 3-bin system.

Any caveats to be aware of? I'm assuming this isn't an exact science. Any general advice is welcome.
B-1 83
AG
fav13andac1)c said:

Anybody have experience with composting? This will be the 1st year I try it. I'm starting off with one bin because I don't have room for a full 3-bin system.

Any caveats to be aware of? I'm assuming this isn't an exact science. Any general advice is welcome.
Moisture and aeration are key. Don't be afraid of all your kitchen fresh vegetable scraps, egg shells, coffee grounds (filter and all), leaves, grass clippings (if you don't use weed and feed), etc........
fav13andac1)c
AG
Guess I won't be composting my grass clippings then. Thanks for the info. What if I would be using it on already established plants?
RED AG 98
AG
Yep, good advice. By far the easiest and quickest are the full sealed enclosures you can easily tumble or spin. Downside of these is usually the size if you need a lot but they are pretty much hassle free.

Also, it's tempting to put vegetable garden stuff in there too but unless you know it is disease free I wouldn't. I tend to leave my vegetable plants in the ground for a long time and they are always very stressed so I discard.
AgCWby90CS
AG
Most compost recipes call for carbon (cardboard) to be added in. I also use saw dust and chips to add to the compost pile to help with the process.
CWby '90
bmfvet
AG
Yellow garden peach tomatoes are some of our favorites. I have some extra seedlings in the Austin area if you want to try a few.
‘99
RED AG 98
AG
That would be amazing! I'm always looking for something new!
XpressAg09
AG
Good bull.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.