Outdoors
Sponsored by

*****2021 Gardening Thread *****

38,626 Views | 362 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by maddiedou
XpressAg09
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
In light of learning a lot last year, and getting intensely jealous of some of y'all in the 2020 thread, I've decided to start this year's thread.

I've been keeping up with Tx_Aggie08 and sounds like it's the right time to start the discussion.

Me personally, I learned that my soil wasn't very nitrogen-rich, so I went and got a cover crop for two of my three beds and added some compost and newer, less "wood chippy" soil.

Put down some sugar pumpkins which went well last year, and will try to grow them vertically this year. Also put down some Amarillo carrots, pearl onions, "regular" onions (the name escapes me), and broccoli, which grew well last year.

In the garage, I've got strawberries, tomatoes, shi****o peppers and oregano going now, and plan to get some more started this weekend.

Here's to growing in 2021. Post your jealousy-inducing pics and stories here.

zooguy96
Do you want more seeds? I've saved my seeds from the past 5 years (all still germinate), and am about to order my 2021 seeds.
I know a lot about a little, and a little about a lot.
lazuras_dc
AG
Do you harvest seeds or you mean just save your extras ?
XpressAg09
AG
So your okra was absolutely the easiest thing to grow. The one plant that really flourished last year, despite my poor soil...problem is, I was the only one who would eat it.

I'd be curious to know if you have any squash you're willing to give away, and also anymore of the borage. I've got a couple bees that have stopped by pretty routinely.
zooguy96
lazuras_dc said:

Do you harvest seeds or you mean just save your extras ?

I save all my extras and harvest a few.
zooguy96
XpressAg09 said:

So your okra was absolutely the easiest thing to grow. The one plant that really flourished last year, despite my poor soil...problem is, I was the only one who would eat it.

I'd be curious to know if you have any squash you're willing to give away, and also anymore of the borage. I've got a couple bees that have stopped by pretty routinely.

Just make the list. I've got tons of everything.

The best thing that grew last year was some zucchini from Namibia. The stupid squash bugs didn't bug it at all!

Just PM me. I'll try to send you an updated list of what I've got - but it may be a week, as I'm busy all weekend.
zooguy96
Also, if I were you, I'd add a little cow manure to your soil. Just get a bag or two - and rake it in. Should help with having more organic material.

I plant the specific soil that some plants need where I plant individual plants. I.e. where I plant watermelons and cantaloupes, I mix in some sand - since they prefer better drained soil. I also make sure to mound them up, as they won't get too moist.
Hewey Calloway
AG
I'm going to hop in on this thread early. Hopefully I won't start my garden too late. I know absolutely nothing about gardening but this is my first full year in our new house and it came with a pretty sweet garden set up. My wife got a tumbling composter for her birthday so I'm looking forward to getting that started. I'm also looking forward to what I can learn here.
Pearl2010
AG
In like Flynn. Trying to grow a garden this year in the high desert.
Jason C.
AG
zooguy96 said:

XpressAg09 said:

Just make the list. I've got tons of everything.

The best thing that grew last year was some zucchini from Namibia. The stupid squash bugs didn't bug it at all!

Just PM me. I'll try to send you an updated list of what I've got - but it may be a week, as I'm busy all weekend.

Can't wait to hear back about this year's results. Two years in a row and you're a national hero. Hate those bastages. Its name literally means "sadness" - apt.
zooguy96
Planting companion plants helps a lot. I planted tons of herbs and flowers (marigolds) throughout the garden. They helped immensely as far as squash bugs were concerned.
lazuras_dc
AG
Okra went gangbusters for me last year so did Malabar spinach but we hardly ate it. What a shame.
Had 2 Cucumber and vines went crazy but only harvested like 4-5 good ones.
Basil and Mint did really well.

Plan to do okra and eggplant and cucumber this year.
zooguy96
This year, I'm going to do some things differently.

1. I ran rows like most gardens. It was more difficult to keep the irrigation where I wanted the water to go. So, I'm going to keep all the soil flat this year.
2. I'm going to plant fewer plants further apart, but have an overall larger garden. I've got an acre in the back yard, so easy to do.
3. The irrigation I ran was from Lowe's. It's called "Mister Landscaper", and worked great. I ran my fertilizer through the irrigation (used water soluble fertilizer) - using a sump pump and trash can.
4. I planted companion plants like herbs, marigolds, etc which really lessened the issues with squash bugs - still had them, but not near as many.

Here are some pictures from last year.

XpressAg09
AG
Gonna need pics and a location.
freshfrenchfryfanatic
AG
If you can get your hands on some African Blue basil (pretty easy to find in a good nursery) you will have a ton of bees when it blooms. They absolutely love it. It gets pretty large so make sure you have it in a spot with room.
birddog7000
AG
Interested to see how your strawberries from seed do. I planted a couple hundred bare-root strawberry plants this past fall. I live in a strawberry producing area, and that is how everyone here orders them. It was very easy and the plants look great. I should start getting berries in 2-3 weeks.
XpressAg09
AG
Not accounting for size is one thing that caused me a lot of frustration last year. Gonna try not to overcommit this year, but I've got no current plans set in stone for 2 of my 3 beds.
XpressAg09
AG
So the place I bought from only had "Alpine" varietals in stock. I have some shade down my side yard, so that may help control sun, but ambient temps of 95*+ may be problematic...at least I'm aware of this potential now, though.
zooguy96
XpressAg09 said:

Not accounting for size is one thing that caused me a lot of frustration last year. Gonna try not to overcommit this year, but I've got no current plans set in stone for 2 of my 3 beds.
Depending on what you plant, always over-estimate for the size of the plant. You can see from my pictures that I planted everything wayyyy to close - even though it didn't look like it when I initially planted them.

For zuchini, squash, etc., I'm going to put them AT LEAST 4 feet apart - probably more like 5.
txaggie_08
AG
This is my second year to have a garden, and the one thing I did learn last year is to not waste time trying to grow seedlings and then transplant in the spring, except for tomatoes. Tomatoes are the only things I've planted indoors already to give them a head start. They need it out here in Midland because it changes too quick from frost to scorching heat. Everything else I planted last year, I ended up having to plant seeds along with the transplants and the seeds outgrew every transplant. Lesson learned to not waste time there.

I have a raised bed garden. It's 10'x5'. Currently I have onions and carrots planted, they've been in the ground since October I believe and have withstood a few snowstorms so far. I'll get a pic of them later today.

Things that worked best for me last year were okra, yellow squash, zucchini and eggplants. Had a ton of all of these. Jalapeos did well but had absolutely no heat.

Current tomatoes, 4 days after planting:

zooguy96
Depends on where you live. Transplants work much better for me, as our last official frost date is April 15, although we regularly have temps in the 30's and 40's well into May.

I always start inside, and usually don't transplant until the 1st or 2nd week of May, when my seedlings are well established. If I planted from seed outside, the soil wouldn't be warm enough yet, and I wouldn't have any veggies until late June at earliest.
maddiedou
AG
Squash vine borers

I have had svb for many years bit last year I dont know if it worked but I did not have any

I started walking every night and looking and when i saw the momma bug I would spray with poison. I also did diamactreous around the bottoms

I also sprayed around the grounds and plants once a week or so until about a week before they started producing

Here some pictures from last year. I am gonna plant tomotoes again and try to sell this year because my wife canned 100 quarts last year

maddiedou
zooguy96
https://www.rareseeds.com/store/vegetables/summer-squash/nimba-zucchini-summer-squash

These worked very good for me last year. I don't know why I thought they were from Namibia - they are just called Nimba Zuchini. Had much fewer squash borers on these than other squash. They seemed very resistant.
zooguy96
I've already got 40 different seed packets on my list and not done yet.

I love rareseeds.com. All heirloom - and you can get an incredibly diverse set of seed packets.
Hewey Calloway
AG

Wow y'all have some awesome set ups. Mine is pretty small. Here's what came with the house. I'm in Fredericksburg, TX. Just based off of what we eat, I'd like to grow some squash, tomatoes, peppers, possibly corn. I just don't know what I'll have room for.

They left some goat manure in a few of the boxes.

It hasn't broken down yet so I'm trying to figure out what to do with it. Should I just cover it with compost or remove it?

I'm going to start with the small garden and see how it goes. I want to make sure I can keep up a simple one before I go all in. I had an exiting brush pile on the property that I added to. I got it burned with today's weather and think this would be a great place for a future garden.

XpressAg09
AG
I count something like 5 beds. No reason you can't try to put one species in each one, and have some room for a couple of plants in each box. Zooguy or others would know about accompanying plants to help stave off bugs or promote better growth.

Give it a shot. Seeds cost like $3 a pack, so it's the dirt and compost that will cost a little more for you...but even that's not much considering you've got the groundwork already laid.
B-1 83
AG
Still harvesting cherry tomatoes from my September planting, along with lettuce, spinach, and green onions. Added a foot of oak leaves and compost to areas not being used.
maddiedou
AG
I am not a fan of boxes when ypu have that much room

Inside that fence area you could have at least 4 rows it looks like with 3 feet apart

And that is more than what you need if just growing fo yourself

I have a 10000 sq ft garden roughly but my rows are only 75 feet long to allow walk around

I give alot away to the old folks home and just friends bit as I said above I am gonna try to sell tomotoes this year

If you have questions post here or you can text me 979- eight two o -l87o
maddiedou
maddiedou
AG
First year I have had a crappy winter garden. Carrots are good but lettuce. Cauliflower. Kale dang rabbit found it this year
Spinach sucks also

Replanted three weeks ago now I got butter crunch and romaine coming up everywhere but maybe to late because of apring garden
maddiedou
B-1 83
AG
I had problems getting kale and spinach going this year. Slugs and pill bugs thrive in a heavily mulched garden, and Sevin dust turned out to be my friend early.
maddiedou
AG
I could not even get mine to come up and last and yes I have never had the bugs eat my leaves this year like they have. We even had snow in college station

And as I said lettuce is up but better hurry

I also planted about 2500 onions reds whites 1015. We will see what happens with them
maddiedou
Hewey Calloway
AG
Thanks maddiedou. I agree there's a lot of wasted space in that garden. I think I'll use this layout this year to practice and make sure I can actually keep a garden.

Btw, I really appreciate you working with me on that reloading supplies. I just realized I never reached back out to you. Thanks for all of your help.
Serious Lee
beefed up security for strawberries, Rd 2. no more aerial assaults. dont yall just love mockingbirds?
how can you not? they are the state bird! they are so freaking courageous. the chase Owls!!!!They are the state Bird! Theyre awesomeness is unparralled!!!

SW-14
AG
I got my shipment of bare root strawberries, blackberries, and raspberries yesterday. Seemed kind of early to me, but they said now was the time to plant. I'm in Montgomery.

I've got seeds for corn, green beans, sunflowers, okra, carrots, lettuce, and some herbs ready to go. Also planning on planting tomatoes and potatoes. When should I be looking to plant? Early March? This is my second year gardening, and I got off to a bit of a late start last year.
zooguy96
I usually plant 7-10 days after the regular last freeze date. Of course, it doesn't get super hot here in East Tennessee. Our last freeze date is April 15. When I was in Texas, I only gardened one year. I think I started around March 1.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.