Outdoors
Sponsored by

Help!Smoked turkey done too early

6,032 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by skinny2001
poolct00
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Good morning all.
Smoking my first turkey today. Thought it would take all day at 250 (20lbs) but it'll be done about 5 hours before we are planning to serve

Any suggestions on how to keep from ruining it?
Let it rest to room temp?
Carve now?
Foil towel and cooler?

TIA

Brad
danieljustin06
AG
Foil, towels, and a cooler should keep it hot enough.
MookieBlaylock
AG
Chunk it and go buy a new one
A 20lber is like 8 bucks at HEB

Ducks4brkfast
AG
It'll be fine. Your turkey doesn't need to be too hot. Serve it with piping hot gravy.
tamc91
AG
You want to keep it hot or refrigerate then serve. Letting poultry set out for 4-5 hours at room temp is a good way to get folks sick. May be a slight chance, but you don't want to be the guy who gives everyone food poisoning.
03_Aggie
Double wrap it in heavy duty foil and stuff it in a cooler with towels.
agfan2013
AG
Preheat a cooler with hot water and then stuff it in there with foil and warm towels. Don't open the lid.

For future reference, turkeys are not like brisket, a 20 pound one won't take 12+ hours like a brisket will.
Bird93
AG
Pull it off the smoker at about 161 - 162. Tent it in foil and put it in a cooler to rest/carryover cook. It'll be fine when you're ready to serve.
CowtownJD
Don't worry...you're good! Do as the others have said and enjoy your meal!
swampstander
AG
Put it in the fridge, smoked turkey is better cold anyway.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
agfan2013 said:

Preheat a cooler with hot water and then stuff it in there with foil and warm towels. Don't open the lid.

For future reference, turkeys are not like brisket, a 20 pound one won't take 12+ hours like a brisket will.
do this. Make sure you take the hot water out first.
Hewey Calloway
AG
I did the same thing. I had to leave my house by 9:00 with the turkey so I started it at midnight. It finished about 5:30 and we ate at 11:00. I just threw it in a cooler with foil tented. It was still plenty warm when we ate.
76Ag
AG
After about three hours I put the turkey in a bag made for roasting. This kept it from drying out. I used a water smoker.
Rattler12
When you guys are talking smoked turkey, are you referring to a turkey that is just cooked in a pit or a turkey that has been brined in a brine including Pink salt and then cooked in the pit? There's a big difference in finished product with the latter.
Ogre09
AG
Rest it. Carve it. Toss it in the fridge. Reheat before serving.
hbc07
AG
Rattler12 said:

When you guys are talking smoked turkey, are you referring to a turkey that is just cooked in a pit or a turkey that has been brined in a brine including Pink salt and then cooked in the pit? There's a big difference in finished product with the latter.
I believe everyone here is talking about cooking a turkey on a smoker.
skinny2001
AG
Put foil down in a big pan with deep sides, Pour a beer into a the foil then wrap the Turkey and let it sit at 180 Deg F in the oven. It will be falling apart when it's time to serve.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.