Outdoors
Sponsored by

I( need a recommendation for a pop up tent

6,124 Views | 74 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Tanya 93
Tanya 93
How long do you want to ignore this user?
B-man needs a tent for 1-2 people now that he is in scouts.

Mommy and Dad aren't coming anymore on scout camp outs because he needs to do this on his own and our 5 person tent that is taller than me inside is not what he can carry into camping.

This troop does ice camping. So I need to figure out what tent and what little pad under his sleeping bag will work when it is 15 degrees outside.

Yes, I know what people think of me and my politics.
But I need to order this stuff next week so he can go camping mid November.

They camp in the freaking snow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
AgResearch
AG
Learning to pitch a tent
Tanya 93
AgResearch said:

Learning how to pitch a tent
He knows how to do that

I just want to know what is a quality tent for 2 people.

I mean

FRUGAL MOM HERE!
ccard257
AG
Info we need:
Budget
Frequency of use
Does he intend to backpack with it at some point.

Old RV Ag
AG
Tanya 93 said:

AgResearch said:

Learning how to pitch a tent
He knows how to do that

I just want to know what is a quality tent for 2 people.

I mean

FRUGAL MOM HERE!
This place ain't frugal. Heck, if a guy has one limb to trim on a small tree everyone says you have to buy a Stihl chainsaw. Guns are even more so. Go to Academy and take a look in your price range - see what feels okay. Ask the service people. Most people going in are just like you so you should be given good direction.

Reread your post - this is a very common item so they'll tell you what most other scouts buy - whether others, their kids, or themselves not so long ago.

Tanya 93
ccard257 said:

Info we need:
Budget
Frequency of use

I would rather not spend more than 300 for the tent and maybe 50 on the pad he needs to carry in to put under the sleeping bag

Sleeping bag is good to -20, so I am not buying another one of those.

And where is an inexpensive place to get the backpacks to hold all this stuff rolled up? The troop leaders are all get it from the scout website. But they want over 30 dollars for khaki pants. Yah, no. I just want him to have his tent, his sleeping bag, the pad, a change of clothes, and food and drink for 3 days. That is what they require.
Slim Isle
Why does he need a sleeping pad? I'm 58 and I still sleep soundly on the ground .
Slim Isle
If you have to get the sleeping pad, thermarest are good
Tanya 93
Roots86 said:

Why does he need a sleeping pad? I'm 58 and I still sleep soundly on the ground .
all the HS boys have one
Tanya 93
Roots86 said:

If you have to get the sleeping pad, thermarest are good
Thank you
ccard257
AG
Roots86 said:

Comfort is just a bonus, the pad provides insulation from the ground and is essential for cold weather camping. For real winter camping, it's pretty common to have a closed cell foam pad under an insulated inflatable.
Marauder Blue 6
AG
Look at Decathlon USA, Walmart, and Amazon for discount gear. Decathlon USA probably has the best selection at the price you're looking for.
htxag09
AG
REI has their house brand backpacking 2 person tents starting at $150.
ccard257
AG
REI and north face should both have several 2 person options in the 2-300 range. Hard to go wrong with a half done. A three season tent will work fine for a couple nights of mild snow a year.

The thermarest z rest is the time tested cheap bud decent pad option.

A -20 bag will be crazy hot above freezing or so. May want to plan on a three season bag in the spring.
danieljustin06
AG
REI, and Kelly are good brands. You can look on rei.com and campmor. It would be best to go into a store (REI, bass pro, Cabela's) to try on the backpack. REI will do a great job of fitting the pack to him. Pack fitment is very important for hiking. The sleeping pad is look at thermarest or the rei branded pad. They're light and good price.
normaleagle05
AG
I've had a classic Therm-a-Rest for nearly 30 years when I got out camping in Boy Scouts. It's outlived a self-inflating Therm-a-Rest in that time. It's bulky, hard to roll, cheap, and just keeps working. I prefer a self-inflating pad but everyone knows Benny will have to spend his own coin on one of those. They aren't cheap.

I don't sleep on the ground anymore. If I can't hang my hammock in a place I'm not camping there. So I'm not much help on the tent.

https://www.thermarest.com/sleeping-pads/trek-and-travel/ridgerest-classic/ridgerest-classic.html
Caladan
The wire frames in a pop-up tent can be tricky to re-fold, especially by a child. Also, pop-ups tend to have pretty cheap build quality. IMO you and he will be better off with a traditional tent with a pole frame. Smaller 1 or 2-man traditional tents are often quite easy to pitch. Again, I wouldn't recommend a pop-up, but if that is what you just gotta have, you might look at the Quecha brand.

You might check out the Sierra Trading Post site. They sell mid to high-quality tents, and in fact have some excellent choices from Marmot and North Face for under $200, and some other decent brands for even less.

As for a sleeping pad - if camping on the snow, he will need both a pad *and* insulation from the cold ground. A plain air mattress will provide padding, but will not provide much insulation at all. Also, you cannot depend on a sleeping bag to insulate from the ground either, as the body's weight will compress the bag's insulating fibers and therefore greatly decrease their effectiveness. Insulation from the ground is just as important as padding from the ground.

You will see a brand of pads called "Klymit" at the STP website. I would stay away from that brand.

hth,
C
Martin Cash
AG
Coleman. Best tent for the money.

And don't be fooled by the numbers. A '2 man tent' will barely fit one person. For two people, you need at LEAST a 4 man tent.
mpl35
AG
Roots86 said:

If you sleep on frozen ground in the mountains you don't without a pad.
mpl35
AG
Tanya 93 said:

ccard257 said:

Info we need:
Budget
Frequency of use

I would rather not spend more than 300 for the tent and maybe 50 on the pad he needs to carry in to put under the sleeping bag

Sleeping bag is good to -20, so I am not buying another one of those.

And where is an inexpensive place to get the backpacks to hold all this stuff rolled up? The troop leaders are all get it from the scout website. But they want over 30 dollars for khaki pants. Yah, no. I just want him to have his tent, his sleeping bag, the pad, a change of clothes, and food and drink for 3 days. That is what they require.
packs are fitted by size. scouts like to weigh you down....so sometimes you need a lot of pack.

like this tent:

https://lightheartgear.com/products/lightheart-gear-solo-tent-1

Or for 2

https://www.tarptent.com/product/double-rainbow/

BreNayPop
AG
I love camping and have all sorts of tent in all sorts of brands. I have 4 kids (13/11/8/8).

I love setting up camp, HATE taking down camp and tents. After this last trip, camped with a buddy who had the below. I'm buying 3 of these in 6 person tent form for the forever future. Watch the video. 140 dollars well spent.

Slept in it overnight to see how it was. With Windows up was almost too hot. Windows down was amazing- could see all the stars And laid there smiling. Sturdy. Stupid easy to put up and down.
BreNayPop
AG
And I'm a big guy so the weight didn't bother me, but it wasn't a super light weight tent
JeremiahJohnson
AG
What do you consider frugal? I have spent my fair share of time in the elements. What is your budget?

I can suggest a Hilleberg or down to a Big Agnes.
Hey Coach
AG
Look at the used section of the REI website. You can find almost new items at half the price!
rootube
AG
Easy, get a Coleman Sundome.
WestGalvestonAggie

Kodiak Canvas flex bow VX 2 person. Slightly over your price limit, but well worth the extra expense. They're heavy though, so if he has to carry it or hike it's not going to work.

https://www.kodiakcanvas.com/8-5-x-6-ft-flex-bow-vx-tent-estimated-restock-date-dec-15th-2020/
danieljustin06
AG
Coleman tents are for families that go camping once a year. They will not last very long. For scouts you ought to go with a backpacking tent like I've listed and a few others. Being frugal has it's cases, but if you go real cheap on certain gear, it will fail while camping, ruining the trip, and then you'd have to buy another tent where you could have bought the better quality tent that will last.
Stat Monitor Repairman
Old RV Ag said:

This place ain't frugal. Heck, if a guy has one limb to trim on a small tree everyone says you have to buy a Stihl chainsaw. Guns are even more so.

Lol!
aggy86
AG
JeremiahJohnson
AG
Since no budget:
High end what I would buy. But I hunt in the mountains and know you won't buy this.
https://hilleberg.com/eng/tent/yellow-label-tents/anjan-3-gt/

Middle ground
https://www.backcountry.com/big-agnes-copper-spur-ul2-ultra-light-tent-2-person-3-season?skid=BAGZ29A-ORA-ONESIZ&ti=UExQIENhdDpUZW50cyAmIFNoZWx0ZXJzOjE6Mjk6YmMtdGVudHMtc2hlbHRlcnM=

Inexpensive
https://www.tarptent.com/product/double-rainbow/

https://www.backcountry.com/marmot-tungsten-3p-tent-3-person-3-season?skid=MAR014D-GNSHA-ONESIZ&ti=UExQIENhdDozLVNlYXNvbiBCYWNrcGFja2luZyBUZW50czoxOjM6YmMtMy1zZWFzb24tYmFja3BhY2tpbmctdGVudHM=
dmart90
AG
https://www.rei.com/product/168204/rei-co-op-half-dome-2-plus-tent-print

My son used this in Scouts and we took it to Philmont.
Scotty88
AG
Having had two boys make Eagle and one still working to get there, I have a little expertise in this area.

If he is just getting started and if you are not sure he is going to be in Scouts for the long haul, get a cheap 2 man Coleman tent, a Kelty Cosmic 35 sleeping bag and a Thermarest Ridgerest pad. He should be setup for most early camping experiences. Of course, if it is colder he is going to need a heavier bag at some point.

If he stays in Scouts and loves camping, you will have easy Christmas and birthday presents for years.

You can upgrade him to a Half-Dome tent some day.

He'll need a backpack and hiking boots with good socks. Backpacking stoves.

You can spend all kind of money!!
flyingaggie12
AG
+1 for half dome. Super easy to set up. Less than 5 min. I've taken it to NM, CO, and AR with no issues.
Ogre09
AG
I'm on year 4 with my $50 Coleman 4 person. Used a dozen times. Still like new.
Post removed:
by user
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.