Outdoors
Sponsored by

40x60 shop plans with living quarters

3,754 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by bobbunker
Tex_Ag_2017
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
OB,

I am cross posting from HI board.

https://texags.com/forums/61/topics/3144729

"I am trying to design a plan that I can take to a steel supply company like Mueller or someone local that has a 40x60 footprint with a 15 foot lean to on the 60 foot side. It will be a 16 foot tall building with 14 foot roll up doors. I want to add a bedroom and a bathroom and possibly a kitchen, small living area that could serve as a man cave and possibly a processing area for deer, fish, etc.

Does anyone have stuff they've done in the past and what they would do differently? I'm curious if I should do a loft type of layout or if I should do an L shaped building with the small part of the L be the living quarters."
Picard
AG
Great alternative to sleeping on the couch when you're in trouble!

yakin ag
AG
Can you just make the footprint of the building longer? Adding an L is going to increase the cost of the building more than just stretching the footprint. My FIL's shop has multiple bays, with a bay on one end being a man cave that we all lived in while building our barndos on property the wife and I own.

His shop is 40x85 with 25 foot porch along the front 85' side. The other two bays are a 25' car shop that's climate controlled with a vehicle lift and single roll up, and a 40' welding shop that has 2 roll up doors. It's a great layout.

Our appraisal district told me that the greatest single factor in determining building value outside of square footage was how complicated the roofline is.
bobbunker
I just did a 36x50 Morton w/ 15x36 living space inside (bathroom, bedroom, kitchen). Hot water heater, washer dryer and utility sink is in the shop side but enclosed and insulated.

I wish we would have made the living space 15x42, and had some closet space. We'll get by without it though..

I did a front porch on the entry to living space and it turned out awesome. Makes it look like a house of sorts not a box. On the opposite side i did a 40' long x 20' deep leanto with three bays. Perfect size and depth.

Post up your email address i will send you some pics.

Central Committee
AG
If I built a 40X60 shop on our land my wife would make sure I was living there.
We may not always get what we want. We may not always get what we need. Just so we don't get what we deserve.
Tex_Ag_2017
AG
centexflies@gmail.com
AgLA06
AG
Either on HI or here there was a thread where a guy did exactly this. Barndo build. Look it up and start there.
ought1ag
AG
https://texags.com/forums/34/topics/2924403/1

this one?
AgLA06
AG
Yep.
whitespikes06
AG
I built the exact dimensions on my place recently. I used DDM in Brenham to order the building. They have plenty of options to choose from (and most metal providers will also). Couple of things you'll need to consider.
- Roll up door placement and numbers (This will affect your room buildout)
- Concrete overhang? If so, tell your metal provider to account for concrete slope on your lean-to uprights.
- Room sizing will/could be defined by purlin placement.
- Septic tie in to home or need additional septic? I don't have a kitchen ( Just bedroom, bath and shop sink) so I plumbed into my septic at the house and used a grinder pump with small tank at the shop.
- Consider a 20' lean-to. A full size truck hangs off my pad if the roll up doors aren't open.

I'd be happy to send you photos of mine. Whatever you do, insulate it.
AgLA06
AG
Post some photos here!
whitespikes06
AG
I'll have to do my research. I'm a long time lurker, few time poster. Let me work on it and I'll get them up somehow.
AgLA06
AG
Central Committee said:

If I built a 40X60 shop on our land my wife would make sure I was living there.

Isn't that a win / win?
gwellis
AG
Anyone have a Barndo Builder in the El Campo, Boling Area they recommend?
Gil '91
expresswrittenconsent
[This is another post that helped get you banned. -Staff]
locogringo
AG
Just did a true barndo shop with house in same structure. Its the thread mentioned above. I'll think more about it, but off the top of my head:

Budget loosing 1 foot on all walls for your living quarters layout. I.e. a 40' wide building gives you a 38' living width

Any windows in the living quarters should be under a lean to or roof extension. Sealing up windows in a metal building can be a heated argument. Easiest to just limit any potential water exposure.

Spray foam the living side at a minimum (and the shop if desired). Make sure you air seal really well before the foam. There are tons of places foam can get out, mainly anywhere there is trim. Anywhere foam could get out, bugs/animals can get in.

Seal concrete isn't bad. Dark stain concrete is a pain to keep clean. The more glossy, the better.

Mine was Mueller bolt up because it was easiest for me to build myself. If you pay someone to weld one up, quality can vary greatly. Mueller was OK, im sure they are all similar.

There is a bunch of info in that thread. I'd be happy to tell my experience on anything you can think of.
C ROC N
Here were my plans before prices went sky high!

Tex_Ag_2017
AG
Yes. Please send me plans and photos. Whatever you have is greatly appreciated. centexflies@gmail.com
whitespikes06
AG
I emailed you them on Saturday With a couple follow up emails to connect the dots. Have never posted pics on here but I can try to post them up here sometime today.
bobbunker
Just emailed several pics to you Tex Ag 2017
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.