Outdoors
Sponsored by

Anybody here smoke a pipe?

6,907 Views | 65 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by schmellba99
Fishin Texas Aggie 05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I smoke a few cigars a year and I'm thinking about taking up the pipe. Maybe something to do on the weekends or late evenings.

2020 has made a mess of me and I'm look for something to take my mind of politics, the news, etc.
AgEng98
I did for several years after making the same progression from cigars. I enjoyed the "ritual" of it, but eventually went back to cigars. For me, I liked to have a cigar in conjunction with doing other things like mowing, etc. That's hard to do with a pipe.

Don't buy a $5 pipe from a drugstore. Ask your tobacconist how hot a particular blend will burn. Never ever buy a blend based on the hilarity of the name.
AgBQ-00
AG
I smoked a pipe for a while and enjoyed it. Have actually been thinking of picking it up again. I preferred it to cigars just seemed more relaxing to me.
You do not have a soul. You are a soul that has a body.

We sing Hallelujah! The Lamb has overcome!
Fishin Texas Aggie 05
AG
Truth be told I found one of my late grandfathers pipes.

Apparently he was a big smoker but went to pipes to kick cigarettes. But he ended up losing a bunch of piles while setting trot lines on the Colorado so he gave it up completely.

I've been eyeing the "finish it yourself" kits on amazon made from briar

I also have a friend that I'll trade some quail eggs for some pieces of Bois D'Arc (Osage Orange/horse apple) and maybe try and make some, but we will see.

https://www.pipesandcigars.com/mobile/p/borkum-riff-bourbon-whiskey-pipe-tobacco/1439853/

This looks pretty good
Martin Cash
AG
AgEng98 said:

I did for several years after making the same progression from cigars. I enjoyed the "ritual" of it, but eventually went back to cigars. For me, I liked to have a cigar in conjunction with doing other things like mowing, etc. That's hard to do with a pipe.

Don't buy a $5 pipe from a drugstore. Ask your tobacconist how hot a particular blend will burn. Never ever buy a blend based on the hilarity of the name.
My dad, who smoked a pipe for a while in his younger years, always said a pipe smoker can't be a working man. Spends all his time trying to keep the damn thing lit.
Na Zdraví 87
AG
It's definitely a learned experience keeping it lit. I used to smoke one on occasion years ago. I might take it up again. I enjoyed a good pipe tobacco.
Ribeye-Rare
AG
Quote:

My dad, who smoked a pipe for a while in his younger years, always said a pipe smoker can't be a working man. Spends all his time trying to keep the damn thing lit.

Funny you mention that. Years ago my dad gave me his list of 'Never hire a man who ...'.

Some of the things on his 'list' didn't really resonate with me, but I knew he had employed many people over his long career, so I never really challenged him on it.

One of the things on that list was 'Never hire a man who smokes a pipe. He's always screwing with that damn thing and it will affect his work output.'

I honestly have no idea whether that statement is true, or even largely true. Most of the guys who I work in my career wouldn't even know which end of a pipe to light.

FWIW, dad chewed cigars, a habit which mother abhorred but tolerated.
angryocotillo
AG
I did for a while. Corn cob pipes are cheap and work great. May want to start with one of those and upgrade when you feel like it.

I prefer the virginia flake tobacco's. Comes in little sheets you tear up yourself instead of being preground. Its more expensive but it's really nice and a tin of it will last you a looong time unless you are just ripping through.
Fishin Texas Aggie 05
AG
I've smoked a corn cob pie a few times about 3 years ago.

The guy who I smoked with had the tobacco and I could never find any tobacco in a store to tempt me. No liquor stores carry it around my area
Well, okay then
AG
Fishin Texas Aggie 05 said:

Truth be told I found one of my late grandfathers pipes.

Apparently he was a big smoker but went to pipes to kick cigarettes.
This brought back memories of my grandfather. He smoked cigars, but his doctor told him he needed to quit. No problem, he'd stick a cigar vertically into his pipe and puff away.
Tx95Ag
AG
I have smoked a pipe. Still do 1-2 times a year. To get the most flavorful smoke you want to keep it cool, which means barely lit. It is a good thing to do when sitting outside and relaxing on a day like today.
West Texan
AG

I smoke a few cigars a year and I'm thinking about taking up the pipe. Maybe something to do on the weekends or late evenings.

2020 has made a mess of me and I'm look for something to take my mind of politics, the news, etc.

Pipe smoking is about the process, It's a skill that has to be learned. Someone already called it a ritual, and that's a pretty accurate description. Anyone can pick up a cigar and smoke it, but you have to learn the best way to pack the tobacco, getting it and keeping it lit, tamping it down as you go, and cleaning it afterwards. It can be tedious, but it's relaxing to be out on the back porch with your beverage of choice and forget about whatever else you have going on for a while. It's a satisfying feeling smoking an entire bowl without having to relight it.
JeremiahJohnson
AG
Just a crack pipe, but trying to give it up
CactusThomas
AG
Inherited a few from my wife's father. This is my favorite.

CactusThomas
AG

Superdave1993
AG
I smoke a pipe 2-5 times a year. Started with a cob and then got into restoring estate pipes. I am still not very good at it, but it is a ritual. There is a ton of history in pipes and pipe makers which is half the fun of it. I enjoy a medium bowl that I can finish in 20-40 minutes around a fire pit. Every pipe smokes differently and you have to find one you like. My local pipe shop has a whiskey blend that I enjoy, and again there are a ton to try. Grab a pipe or two and give it a go.
CashinOut
AG

Be very, very careful with the phrasing here
Ag_of_08
AG
I smoke one on occasion, I have a pair of Petersons I enjoy quite a bit. I'm pretty picky on tobaccos, I mostly smoke darker blends.

I enjoy them, but don't smoke a great deal.
Ag_of_08
AG

I've smoked a corn cob pie a few times about 3 years ago.

The guy who I smoked with had the tobacco and I could never find any tobacco in a store to tempt me. No liquor stores carry it around my area

Cvs or Walgreens used to carry a couple of blends that aren't complete crap.
Cromagnum
AG
I used to quite a bit but now only smoke it a couple times a year. If you want people to look at you funny get a meerschaum pipe. They smoke really cool but are bright white when new and little by little absorb color from the tobaccco.
Ogre09
AG
Ribeye-Rare said:

Quote:

Funny you mention that. Years ago my dad gave me his list of 'Never hire a man who ...'.

Some of the things on his 'list' didn't really resonate with me, but I knew he had employed many people over his long career, so I never really challenged him on it.

One of the things on that list was 'Never hire a man who smokes a pipe. He's always screwing with that damn thing and it will affect his work output.'

I honestly have no idea whether that statement is true, or even largely true. Most of the guys who I work in my career wouldn't even know which end of a pipe to light.

FWIW, dad chewed cigars, a habit which mother abhorred but tolerated.

Can you share some more of these hiring filters?
rednecked
AG
Martin Cash said:

AgEng98 said:

maybe, maybe not...

Fishin Texas Aggie 05
AG
Found some captain black at walgreen will give it a try

maybe ill take off early and go dove hunting
Tx95Ag
AG
Where are you located?
Fishin Texas Aggie 05
AG
Tx95Ag said:

Where are you located?

Victoria / El Campo
Bradley.Kohr.II
AG
I enjoy corncobs*. I have some high end pipes, but a corn cob is ~95% as enjoyable, and vastly less expense.

I also like one, cheap, vintage pipe, which has a carburetor needle in it.

*Just buy ebonite replacement bits. Can't stand the plastic ones, and its easy to switch the bit, once the bowl burns out.

I like Reiner's Golden Flake, No. 9, or a MacBarren Highland blend.
Ribeye-Rare
AG
Quote:

Can you share some more of these hiring filters?
Not a chance. Dad wouldn't last 5 minutes in a modern HR department.

For the record, he made his share of bad hires. Guess who got to clean those up?
Fishin Texas Aggie 05
AG
Wasn't terrible, the stuff I've heard is a well packed bowl should last around 30 minutes, I didn't get that long.

Bad news is the birds weren't flying

Good news is 2 of my friends and I got to hang, drink, and smoke
Slamn Sharpe
I don't but this old hag smokes a lot

https://texags.com/forums/12/topics/3143237
dr_boogs
AG
What happened to Schmellba? Did he get perma'd? Reason I ask is I haven't seen a post from him lately and he was a bit of a pipe aficionado IIRC. Figured he would have posted on this thread if he was still around.
rootube
AG
McDadeTXAggie said:

I don't but this old hag smokes a lot

https://texags.com/forums/12/topics/3143237

Thanks a lot McDade, now I need to check general board. That is some high quality entertainment.
Old Sarge
AG
My grandfather on mom's side....i remember him smoking a pipe some. I was a little kid, but I remember when he did the women folks did not care for it as it was in the den, where everyone would gather after the evening meal. I now live in the house they moved to after that one from when I was the little kid, and after going through all their stuff, two things I was disappointed in not finding were:

1. My grandfathers twine ball. It was about an 7" diameter ball of twine, string, and small rope, wound into itself of pieces he saved or had found. He grew up in The Depression and told me stories of it when I was really young.

2. His pipe, and other related stuff, gear, cleaners, etc.

What I did find that was a surprise, was during a YUGE garage sale we had when my wife and I got married and bought the house from my mother. During this garage sale, there had been an old wooden ice cream maker that i remembered by grandfather using when I was really little, and it was in the box it came in, but all of the wooden slats had fallen apart. So I left in in the box and put a dollar on it. Well this woman, in the first big wave of "garagers" asked if we minded for her to look in the box to see if it was salvageable. "of course" . She then pulled out a bottle of Ancient Age whiskey and asked loudly "whose is this?

Granddad had a STASH in the shop. Good times and laughter at the garage sale.
"Green" is the new RED.
kyledr04
AG
My pop smoked a pipe. He was one of the best heavy equipment operators and woodworkers around so it didn't seem to slow him down. But he did fiddle with it alot. There's something about it keeping your hands busy. I'm sure I'd enjoy it but haven't bordered.

He died of lung cancer. So PSA, take it easy on the smoking.
JoeCephas1974
Lane Limited 1-Q has a good smooth flavor and The War Department even likes the smell.
Fair winds and a following sea.
GasPasser97
AG
One of my fondest memories is of my old Jr High science teacher smoking a pipe at football games in the fall/winter.

You could smell that fantastic tobacco (wish I knew what it was) all the way to the concession stand.

He was also a pilot and lost an eye driving a nail into a fence post with a knot.

Never saw him outside without aviators on.

Godspeed, Tommy Willcox...one of the coolest men I ever knew...
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.