Outdoors
Sponsored by

Anybody here smoke a pipe?

6,899 Views | 65 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by schmellba99
Potcake
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
McDadeTXAggie said:

I don't but this old hag smokes a lot

https://texags.com/forums/12/topics/3143237

Man, I thought you were talking about:
Fishin Texas Aggie 05
AG
I have a friend who gave me some kiln dried Bois D'Arc

I guess I'm on my way
One-Eyed Fat Man
AG
https://instagr.am/p/B-Paa2KFOlA
HalifaxAg
AG
CashinOut said:

Fishin Texas Aggie 05 said:

I smoke a few cigars a year and I'm thinking about taking up the pipe. Maybe something to do on the weekends or late evenings.

2020 has made a mess of me and I'm look for something to take my mind of politics, the news, etc.
Be very, very careful with the phrasing here
lol, a misplaced "it" and we're in whole 'nother kind of forum
TarponChaser
My old man smoked a pipe but quit over 30 years ago. Sadly he got rid of all his stuff and he had a number of cool pipes. I still give him **** for getting rid of that stuff. Hell, he's still got old tobacco tins in his shop that he stores stuff in. I'll smoke one a couple times a year myself.
Cen-Tex
AG
kyledr04 said:

My pop smoked a pipe. He was one of the best heavy equipment operators and woodworkers around so it didn't seem to slow him down. But he did fiddle with it alot. There's something about it keeping your hands busy. I'm sure I'd enjoy it but haven't bordered.

He died of lung cancer. So PSA, take it easy on the smoking.
ditto on taking it easy. I have a good friend that smoked a pipe. I remember it always smelled pretty good. He eventually developed a big malignant growth on his lower lip. It looked gross. That ended his smoking career.
tlepoC
AG
Anything from seattle pipe club has been great. I'm partial to plum pudding.
McInnis
AG
This may not be a consideration, but as a non-smoker I can't stand to be within 50 ft. of someone smoking a cigar. It's worse than cigarette smoke to me. But I love the smell of second hand pipe smoke. Anyone else like that?
Tx95Ag
AG
When I smoke a cigar I feel like I can still taste it 2 days later. That's why I prefer a pipe.
Superdave1993
AG
Tx95Ag said:

When I smoke a cigar I feel like I can still taste it 2 days later. That's why I prefer a pipe.
Hated cigars for a long time because of this. Just can't like them, and it has been that way since the old bonfire days.
Old Town Ag
AG
Crack or Meth?
Fishin Texas Aggie 05
AG
My name isn't hunter
The Fife
GasPasser97 said:

One of my fondest memories is of my old Jr High science teacher smoking a pipe at football games in the fall/winter.

You could smell that fantastic tobacco (wish I knew what it was) all the way to the concession stand.
Similar thing here, dad was a prof at SWT and in the early-mid '80s they used to give away football tickets for free to people who worked there, so they took me to those a lot. I don't remember a whole lot from the games, but one thing that stuck around forever was all the old profs in the stands nearby smoking pipes. I have no clue what kind of tobacco it was but to a kid it smelled great.

There were still a couple of the old pipe smoking crowd hanging around behind Zachry at A&M in between classes around 2000. Dr Shannon was one and I don't remember who the others were.
Old RV Ag
AG
dr_boogs said:

What happened to Schmellba? Did he get perma'd? Reason I ask is I haven't seen a post from him lately and he was a bit of a pipe aficionado IIRC. Figured he would have posted on this thread if he was still around.
https://texags.com/forums/34/topics/3147096/replies/57643882

He's still resting from this post a few days ago.
Bison
AG
Find a good tobacconist locally, one who has been around for ages and who actually has pipes with recognizable names (GBH, Savinelli, Nrding, Stanwell, Costello) and who has tobaccos besides a half-dozen jars out on the counter that smell of various shades of fruit. Have a long discussion with that tobacconist. If you have a pipe already, bring it with you and ask to sample some bowls.

Live far away from a good tobacconist? Try Iwan Ries out of Chicago (www.iwanries.com), they're legends.
schmellba99
AG

Found some captain black at walgreen will give it a try

maybe ill take off early and go dove hunting
Captain Black is a good blend, you should enjoy it
schmellba99
AG
dr_boogs said:

What happened to Schmellba? Did he get perma'd? Reason I ask is I haven't seen a post from him lately and he was a bit of a pipe aficionado IIRC. Figured he would have posted on this thread if he was still around.
I'm still here.

I enjoy a good pipe smoke on occasion, but I don't have anything super fancy or what not - just some old pipes from my grandfather that I decided to salvage from the garbage can and clean them up. I did buy a good estate meerschaum a while back that is my favorite when I do decide to smoke a bowl.

Pipe smoking, as others have stated, is kind of a process. And odds are you arent going to pack the bowl right (I still don't get it right more often than I do) and you'll be re-lighting quite a bit. But for those of us that don't like cigars or cigarretes that enjoy a smoke on occasion, a pipe is a relaxing and enjoyable smoke to go with a good bourbon on the back porch IMO.

Plus, it's just cool to puff on one.
Fishin Texas Aggie 05
AG
The packing part aint that terrible. so far I can only get about 25-30 minutes max on a bow. I also got a zippo pipe insert that's butane . I enjoyed a pipe Saturday evening with some cheap bourbon and water.

lucky me I came across somebody with some Bois D'Arc wood thats been dried and im wanting to make some pipes out of that.
Pookers
AG
Boswell makes awesome pipes and great tobacco blends. I highly recommend the northwoods blend for an english blend. Pretty much all of the aromatic blends Boswell offers are great as well. A basic Missouri Meerschaum corn cob pipe is hard to beat for the price.
BCO07
AG
ive tried it a couple of times and just been frustrated trying to get it to stay lit. I really want to get good at it, but gave up and went back to cigars
JoeCephas1974
BCO07 said:

ive tried it a couple of times and just been frustrated trying to get it to stay lit. I really want to get good at it, but gave up and went back to cigars
BC, I made a tamper / scrape out of a maple limb (sharp enough to scrape on one end and flat enough to tamp on the other). Fill your bowl about half way and tamp softly 20 times or so, fill some more and tamp harder. Light it and the tobacco will rise up. Tamp that back down and make sure you light it evenly all around to make a wide fire cherry.

Lots of good videos on YouTube on how to properly light the pipe.

Enjoy.
Fair winds and a following sea.
Fishin Texas Aggie 05
AG
The pipe video I saw the guy scooped the tobacco out of the bag with the pipe and used the pad of his thumb to compress the bowl

He kept doing that til it was full

He then lit it up in an even circular motion with a bic lighter and let that burn while drawing for about 15-20 seconds

After that he tamped it and had at it
schmellba99
AG
I generally do the 3 step method to fill the bowl. When i get it packed right, it works well. Usally takes a couple of goes before i feel like it is packd right.

Before you light, take a draw on the pipe. If it is difficult to get air, you have it packed too tight and it will burn too hot and usually snuff out. If there is almost no resistance, you dont have it packed enpugh and it will burn out quickly. You want some resistance, but still the ability to get air through the bowl relatively effortlessly.
schmellba99
AG

Tx95Ag said:

Where are you located?

Victoria / El Campo
If you are ever in the Houston area, there is a shop in Rice Village called The Briar Shoppe. Hell of a great selection of tobacco, pipes, knowledge, etc. that I suggest you stopping in.

I like a blend of their vanilla and white russian pipe tobaccos, smooth on the flavor and a great smoke for me.
Fishin Texas Aggie 05
AG
schmellba99 said:

Tx95Ag said:

Where are you located?

Victoria / El Campo
If you are ever in the Houston area, there is a shop in Rice Village called The Briar Shoppe. Hell of a great selection of tobacco, pipes, knowledge, etc. that I suggest you stopping in.

I like a blend of their vanilla and white russian pipe tobaccos, smooth on the flavor and a great smoke for me.
I plan on seeing the eyeguy Thursday. looking at a map i may go to the briar shoppe after i leave the eyeguy.

but between the eye guy and the briar shoppe i think i saw there a steak lunch special at the Colorado club from 12:00 - 2:00
JoeCephas1974
schmellba99 said:

I generally do the 3 step method to fill the bowl. When i get it packed right, it works well. Usally takes a couple of goes before i feel like it is packd right.

Before you light, take a draw on the pipe. If it is difficult to get air, you have it packed too tight and it will burn too hot and usually snuff out. If there is almost no resistance, you dont have it packed enpugh and it will burn out quickly. You want some resistance, but still the ability to get air through the bowl relatively effortlessly.
Yes sir. It should feel like drinking water through a straw and not a milkshake is the way I learned.
Fair winds and a following sea.
TexasAggie73
AG
Started with a corn cob pipe durning bonfire and continued for 20 years. It can become a very expensive hobby between buying pipes and accessories. Never smoke a pipe two times in a row. You need to let it cool and rest between smokes. Find a good tobacco store and they will help find what is best for you. Finding a tobacco store could be hard to find. Stopped about 30 years ago and still miss it at times. It's a good stress relief.
aggieland09
AG
I'll second the folks that reccomend corncob pipes. They are cheap but smoke great. Check YouTube for help with the process.
Bradley.Kohr.II
AG
A friend of mine suggested "mudding" the bottom of a corn cob pipe with cigar ash, to prevent burnout.

Any idea if this works?
Mark Fairchild
AG
AgEng98: Totally agree with your post. I have done the same thing a couple of times. After awhile the whole 'Pipe' thing just gets to fatiguing!
Gig'em, Ole Army Class of '70
schmellba99
AG
dr_boogs said:

Still here amigo.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.