Outdoors
Sponsored by

Tamales

8,698 Views | 72 Replies | Last: 6 mo ago by LostTexasBoy
One-Eyed Fat Man
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Now that we're back in the states I'm already starting to ponder my Christmas tamale strategy. Growing up in Pearsall, tamales are a ritual at Christmas - guessing that may be true for many of you too. I'll order some to ship to Atlanta for our family gathering. Our go to in San Antonio has been Tellez Tamales, but we spoke at a church in Mission last year and had Delia's - wow. We'll probably get them there this year.

Where do you guys get yours, favorite variety, etc?

zarbas77
AG
Delia's for sure. Spicy pork. They ship anywhere.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Sam Williams
AG
I am a tamale snob. I will not eat a tamale unless it is from Delia's. Spicy pork is the best if you are a purest, but the other flavors are interesting. I think they opened one up in San Antonio.
One-Eyed Fat Man
AG
Yes, SA opened about a month or two ago. I'm like you - pretty damn critical of my tamales. Spicy pork is always on the top of our list. Bean and jalapeo next. Not a fan of chicken - too dry for me. Haven't come to terms with sweet tamales either.
Reel Aggies
AG
Yeah they opened one in SA. 1604/hausman. Double lines wrapping around the block. Tried for first time a couple weeks ago, spicy pork just right amount of masa to meat and grease.
One-Eyed Fat Man
AG
My favorite tamale story - a number of years ago, Melissa got a couple of tickets for Trans-Siberian Orchestra through the law firm she worked at. It was a matinee performance at the AT&T Center on December 23. As we waited for the show to begin, we discussed our tamale inventory and decided we needed some more for our Christmas Eve gathering. We discussed our options and she mentioned that some of her co-workers had brought tamales from Ruben's on the east side of SA to the office and they were pretty good. We'd never gotten them there, so I googled Ruben's saw it was pretty close so after the show we drove by to plot our strategy for the next morning which was Christmas Eve. There were RVs parked waiting for the next day!

We woke up and got to Rubens at 5:00 am and were about 100 people back in the line. Folks had bit marine ice chests to fill with their tamales. The folks just in front of us had driven from Austin to buy their. About 6:30 an employee came out to discuss the proper protocol once they opened at 7:00. When they did open, the line began to move pretty quickly. Rubens is a little ice house type market - they'd but duct tape arrows on the floor, up and down the aisles. The canned goods had been there so long there were rust circles on the shelves from the cans. There was only one variety available, pork, and they had to be purchased in multiples of 10 dozen. When you got to the counter it was sort of like the tamale version of the Soup Nazi.

We got them home, celebrated Christmas Eve and the tamales from Ruben's were pretty darn good.

Now fast forward about six months. One night we were watching the 10:00 o'clock news and the Kitchen Cops segment was visiting Ruben's. The health department had conducted an inspection a few weeks earlier and they'd scored terribly low - roaches, rat feces in the kitchen... But when the Kitchen Cops showed up, apparently Ruben had been tipped off - there was a piece of notebook paper taped to the front door with a hand written note - "On Vacation."

Melissa was horrified, but I told her if we start disqualifying tamale places because of some roaches and rat
****, we going to have a hard time finding our tamales.
wadd96
AG
We need a decent tamale shop in the wasteland that is The People Republik of Austin.
All the God's, all the Heavens, all the Hells are within you.
AgTDub
AG
When we lived in Austin we always got ours from Rosies in Bee Cave.
Max06
AG
Spicy pork all the way. I started making my own since I couldn't find good ones in BCS once Saenz closed. We make about 20doz at Christmas/New Years
ajthomas
AG
Damn that's an expensive mail order but tempted. Any DFW recommendations?
B-1 83
AG
Don't discount Delia's jalapeo and cream cheese tamales.
One-Eyed Fat Man
AG
We love these and the Jalepeno bean and cream cheese.
zooguy96
Max06 said:

Spicy pork all the way. I started making my own since I couldn't find good ones in BCS once Saenz closed. We make about 20doz at Christmas/New Years

Recipe?
Max06
AG
https://texags.com/forums/67/topics/3082435
rootube
AG
wadd96 said:

We need a decent tamale shop in the wasteland that is The People Republik of Austin.
I realize that I'm going to be ridiculed for this opinion but the tamales at Central Market are pretty good, and you don't have to have a connection with someone's abuleita to get the hook up.
RGV AG
AG
B-1 83 said:

Agree that is the gospel truth. For the sake of variety their Veracruz tamales (in banana leaf) are really good too. If you can buy local sometimes they have specials on them.
B-1 83
AG
RGV AG said:

B-1 83 said:

Agree that is the gospel truth. For the sake of variety their Veracruz tamales (in banana leaf) are really good too. If you can buy local sometimes they have specials on them.

Jesus forgive me, but I do love their salsas on their tamales. Red? Green? Yes!
HSEAG13
Borderland tamales from the homeland
Doc Hayworth
I don't buy them, I make 20-24 dozen every year and package them by the 1/2 dozen. I like meat in them and the ones you buy have pencil thin meat with mostly masa.
One-Eyed Fat Man
AG
I'll send you my address.
Tx95Ag
AG
Delia's aren't bad. My wife's 90 year old grandma makes amazing tamales and refuses to go to Delia's after she went the first time. Last thanksgiving we were all in the kitchen rollin 'em. Good times.
Emotional Support Cobra
AG
I bought some out of the trunk of a car on the side of 188 on the way to Rockport one time and I am still here to tell the tale.

Normally we get them from someone's coworker's cousin's roommate's abuelita. Have never bought them retail.
Marauder Blue 6
AG
B-1 83 said:

Truth! My personal favorite.
RGV AG
AG
I get some from a lady in Mexico, depending on the peso they are $2.50 to $3.00 a dozen. They are about maybe 3/4 the size of Delia's and about 90% as tasty. I dont get the pork ones due to the draconian customs laws, but the bean, blackbean and cheese and the jalapeno ones are excellent. As are the Veracruz style ones.

Delia's success is consistency and size. There are several places in the RGV that have equal tamales, maybe some better, but not all day and every day and as consistently as Delia's does.

I also love their sauces. In a big way. I wanna say the first place she had the tamales were $3.50 a dozen for regular types and $4 a dozen for the special ones. An Ex GF's mother knew her and was a customer from way back.

True American success story.
jja79
AG
Any suggestions in Houston?
smstork1007
AG
I like Granny's Tamales out in Humble, my parents live out that way, so its convenient, but I think they are pretty good. https://www.grannystamaleshouston.com
tmaggies
AG
Alamo
Mark Fairchild
AG
OK, so OB knows **** and I guess Tamales! Just ordered some, clicked purchase prior to checking the shipping cost, they better live up to their rep here on OB!
Gig'em, Ole Army Class of '70
The Fall Guy
AG
Bought tamales 9n the side of IH 45 in Friendswood for years in the 80s. He was busted for using dog meat. True story. I am still here.
Mark Fairchild
AG
Just got my first order of Delia's, how is best way to warm them up?
Gig'em, Ole Army Class of '70
TarponChaser
Never had Delia's but the abuelita of my neighbor down the street makes some freaking awesome ones. My favorite way to eat them is with some fried egg on top.
FIDO 96
AG
Tommy Tamales in Grapevine is really good. This thread has me thinking I'll go over there at lunch.
FIDO 96
AG
Hot and fresh from Pedro's in Lubbock is always good.
Naveronski
AG
One of our Mexican cleaning ladies brings them in for $10/doz.

They're hot and delivered, and pretty tasty.
agcrock2005
AG
ajthomas said:

Damn that's an expensive mail order but tempted. Any DFW recommendations?
Same. just went on and put a couple dozen in my cart and then went to check out and the cheapest shipping was as much as the two dozen tamales!

Tommy Tamales in Grapevine is supposed to be awesome but I didn't really enjoy it much.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.