Outdoors
Sponsored by

Tamales

8,692 Views | 72 Replies | Last: 6 mo ago by LostTexasBoy
One-Eyed Fat Man
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Microwave. Just kidding. We usually steam them but a lot of people heat them in the skillet with the shucks still on.
One-Eyed Fat Man
AG
I can remember my mom going through the roof when the price went above $.50 per dozen in Pearsall.
Tarponfly
AG
You can order nilgai tamales from El Campo Deer Processing in Kingsville. They are extremely good.
SunrayAg
AG
What's with all the store bought tamales? If you don't have a friend who has a mother, aunt, or grandmother who makes them better than you can buy, then you need better friends!
Missouri Boat Ride
AG
wadd96 said:

We need a decent tamale shop in the wasteland that is The People Republik of Austin.
Mi Ranchita down in MAnchaca is pretty decent.
wadd96
AG
Hell, I might as well go to SA if I go that far...
All the God's, all the Heavens, all the Hells are within you.
GrimesCoAg95
AG
Hey OP, I am sure Ruben's was fine when you bought yours!

We order from Delia's.
SA Ag 91
AG
Mark Fairchild said:

Just got my first order of Delia's, how is best way to warm them up?

Here you go... HOW CAN I REHEAT MY LEFTOVER TAMALES?
The most popular method of reheating tamales is with a comal. If you're warming up frozen tamales, let them thaw for about 30 minutes. Then set your stove to medium heat and place them on the comal with the corn husk still on.
OE_Ag11
AG
no one has any Delias coupon codes do they?
RGV AG
AG
OE_Ag11 said:

Delia's has coupons????? ADM! tell me where?
letmeinnow
AG
Had delias this week.
Spicy pork
Cream cheese & jalapeo
Chicken & cheese in green sauce
OE_Ag11
AG
RGV AG said:

OE_Ag11 said:

Delia's has coupons????? ADM! tell me where?
I don't know, there was a box to put it in, so figured I would ask and might get lucky. might just be built into the site though.
OE_Ag11
AG
what did you think of the chicken and cheese in green sauce? should I get those instead of spicy pork in green sauce? saw the other reviews that the chicken ones were a little dry maybe.

getting 2 dozen of the regular spicy pork, and the jalapeo and cheese, and a dozen of the bean jalapeno and cheese ones already,
AgSpirit581
AG
Marquez Bakery in Arlington on Division. Trust me.
AgLawman
AG
Not to derail the Delia's love...they're great.

After a wedding near Boerne last summer (and two follow up "tests"), Chilitos Express in Boerne is my current number one.

Everything is exceptional, but the Cream Cheese, Bacon and Jalapeno is out of this world.
Tx95Ag
AG
We're visiting family in Harlingen and swung by McAllen for 7 dozen, all pork and spicy pork. Had some for dinner last night and have some in the freezer to take home.

The sad part of this trip was finding out that Lara's Bakery has sold. They are using the old recipes, but it is not quite the same. Still good, not great.
One-Eyed Fat Man
AG
I just placed my Christmas tamale order with Delia's. Just an FYI - they cut off online orders a few weeks before Christmas - I had to use the missionary home from Africa for Christmas card and beg them to send me some after the cutoff last year. But their ordering system will allow you to order them to ship in December now.
mosdefn14
AG
In Fort Worth, Esperanza's Bakery (Joe T's). They have them year round, but really ramp up around this time. Pork, chicken, bean & cheese, raisin.
jgh85Ag
AG
Emotional Support Statue said:

I bought some out of the trunk of a car on the side of 188 on the way to Rockport one time and I am still here to tell the tale.

Tried those too. They were decent.
TheGroupGuy
I get all mine from Carl Gallagher's girlfriends family. Muy bueno
TheGroupGuy
Actually I get mine from La Morenita in POC excellent spicy pork
One-Eyed Fat Man
AG
Tamales arrived yesterday via FedEx. I ordered a several different varieties including one of the Veracruz pork wrapped in banana leaf. Ready for Christmas eve now.

Hamburger Dan
Look great. A good Tamale is hard to beat.
OldArmyAggie94
AG
My tamales arrived last night from Delia's…last 5 years have ordered from them…almost broke into them…
Deerdude
Delia's a great second choice if I have to. Hard to beat wifes homemade tamales. Thin masa and mostly stuffing.
Have any of you ever experienced a calabaza con pollo tamal? It just doesn't get better than that.

I married into an old land grant family from Zapata. Tamales at in laws were always for supper and made from leftovers from lunch. World class and fresh.
jtp01
AG
Close to 15 years ago when I was in The construction industry, I had a really good customer (and even better friend) drop off a couple dozen tamales his great grandma made to my office while I was in a meeting. When I returned about 3:30 pm I could smell them in my office.

Only problem was my employees thought it was. gift for the office and those duckers at every last one of them. i still have not forgiven them and i haven't worked with any of them in over a decade.
Deerdude
^^^^PRIORITIES^^^^^
One-Eyed Fat Man
AG
My Delia's order is scheduled to arrive next week. I have pork, spicy pork, bean/jalepeno/cheese, cream cheese & jalapeño, and bean/cheese on the way.
MarylandAG
In Houston I would suggest Balderas Tamale Company on Jones Rd, spicy pork all the way.

Also, probably not a popular opinion but I love the Mi Tienda oaxaca cheese and jalapeño tamales from HEB. The other flavors I am not a fan of but the cheese and jalapeño are excellent.
Deerdude
That's kinda bragging seeing as how only Houston has Mi Tienda stores. The rest of us must niños get a little Mi Tienda in our local stores, but not the full selection.
Rocketman84
AG
Ordered some Delia's to try out.

I've been getting them from The Tamale Company - Bodega in Duncanville, DFW. The ancho chili pork is pretty tasty. https://thetamalecompany.com/
insulator_king
AG
Funny this came up now. My lady friend is having a tamale party at her house Saturday morning with her family. I'll be there, maybe I'll take some pics. They use red and green New Mexico chile.
HtownAg92
AG
Time to repost this. Will be doing this for Christmas Eve with some queso and a spicy green sauce for the tamale bar.

Furlock Bones
AG
the chef at my wife's office just delivered the tamales his mother made. damn they are good eats.
Emotional Support Cobra
AG
I have a question because I am a Yankee. If we pick up tamales today, should we freeze them for Christmas or will they keep? I say freeze. Thank you!
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.