Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Can we talk tamales?

7,862 Views | 26 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by HTownAg98
DeWrecking Crew
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I'm a middle aged white dude that loves tamales, however, my BIL doesn't care for them, thinks they are bland. (He grew up the son of a Border Patrol agent, always living near the border his youth). Tamales is an option for Christmas dinner, he'll be there, anybody have any good recipes for the masa to kick it up a notch (less bland)?
Max06
AG
Just sent this one to a friend today. This is my go to recipe. We usually add a slide or two of jalapeno to each tamal. Made 18 dozen weekend before last, making that again next weekend.

This is usually a two-day process. I make the meat one day and the rest on the following day. This should make 8-10 dozen.

For the meat: Start with a pork shoulder or pork butt, around 7-8 pounds. Cover and cook in a roaster/crock pot or similar until it's falling off the bone. Save the drippings for the masa. Let the meat cool enough to shred and separate the fat.

Take a cup or two of the pan drippings and mix with a packet of Bolner's Fiesta tamale meat seasoning (https://www.heb.com/product-detail/bolner-s-fiesta-tamale-meat-seasoning/1118631). Pour over the shredded meat and stir to mix it in well. It should be pretty wet but not dripping. You'll need four pounds of shredded meat.

For the masa: I use Maseca tamal (https://www.heb.com/product-detail/maseca-tamal-instant-corn-masa-mix-for-tamales/117528)

6 cups Maseca Tamal corn flour
6 cups pan drippings and/or chicken broth to make a total of 6 cups
2 cups melted lard or shortening (no calories here!!) I use lard.
1 packet Bolner's Fiesta Masa seasoning (https://www.heb.com/product-detail/bolner-s-fiesta-tamale-masa-seasoning/1118630)

To make the tamales: soak the corn shucks in hot water for about 30 minutes. You can use a masa spreader (https://www.heb.com/product-detail/mas-tamales-masa-spreader/246925) or spatula to spread the masa on the shucks. I use the masa spreader, but it's personal preference. Put a couple tablespoons of meat down the center, roll, and then fold over the tail of the husk. Stack in a steamer basket, and then steam for about an hour. Check frequently that there's still water in the bottom of the steamer. I usually lay the pot on its side so the tamales stack neatly and then stand it up when the pot is full/almost full and the tamales can hold each other up. There's lots of good YouTube videos on this process if you need help visualizing it.

Happy tamale making!
Martin Cash
AG
DeWrecking Crew said:

I'm a middle aged white dude that loves tamales, however, my BIL doesn't care for them, thinks they are bland. (He grew up the son of a Border Patrol agent, always living near the border his youth). Tamales is an option for Christmas dinner, he'll be there, anybody have any good recipes for the masa to kick it up a notch (less bland)?
Never been a huge tamale fan, either. But smothered with good chili they're ok.
Cancelled
AG
The sickest I've ever been was after making deer tamales. I couldn't eat tamales for years after. Lol
chipotle
Tell him to add ketchup
Walter Kovacs
AG
My family has a tamalada a few times a year and the only changes we make with the masa are for dessert tamales. I'm not sure that significant changes to the masa will translate to strong flavors with the tamales after they are cooked. The filling changes will translate well though. You can add more chile during the cooking of the meat/beans/whatever or just add strips of jalapeno.

Edit: and we make a dozen or so varieties. Every type of tamale usually has a hot equivalent. Pork and spicy pork, cream cheese and jalapeno vs cream cheese and jalapeno and habanero, etc...
biobioprof
It's probably sacrilege here in Central Texas, but the style of tamales from the Mississippi Delta might work:

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2011/04/cook-the-book-mississippi-delta-hot-tamales-recipe.html

The key appears to be using cooking liquid from the meat filling in the dough. Some recipes use corn meal instead of masa, and this recipe has an alternative of simmering instead of steaming.
Kanyes psychiatrist
Chili rajas with cheese are the best.
FIDO*98*
AG
If you want to make great Tamales, thinking like a Gringo actually works in your favor since you aren't bound by tradition or the way Abuela did things

-Boiled meat sucks ass. It doesn't matter how much crap you put in the water. Boiled = Bland
Roast that pork instead and make a homemade NM style red chile sauce to mix it after you shred it. I'll usually marinate and inject the pork with Mojo a day before roasting as well.
-Lard has no flavor. Use a combo of Lard and butter in the masa. 2 parts lard to 1 part butter.
-Feel free to add some of the NM Red to the dough as well. Test the dough for salt by cooking it in a little water. Lots of bland tamales are a result of not enough salt in the masa
-Gringo or otherwise, I'm guessing since you're an Aggie, you're not lolpoor. Double up those corn husks so you can get a better filling to masa ratio
HTownAg98
Two of the biggest crimes in tamale making are bland masa, and not enough fat in the masa.
schmendeler
AG
FIDO*98* said:

If you want to make great Tamales, thinking like a Gringo actually works in your favor since you aren't bound by tradition or the way Abuela did things

-Boiled meat sucks ass. It doesn't matter how much crap you put in the water. Boiled = Bland
Roast that pork instead and make a homemade NM style red chile sauce to mix it after you shred it. I'll usually marinate and inject the pork with Mojo a day before roasting as well.
-Lard has no flavor. Use a combo of Lard and butter in the masa. 2 parts lard to 1 part butter.
-Feel free to add some of the NM Red to the dough as well. Test the dough for salt by cooking it in a little water. Lots of bland tamales are a result of not enough salt in the masa
-Gringo or otherwise, I'm guessing since you're an Aggie, you're not lolpoor. Double up those corn husks so you can get a better filling to masa ratio
so when can I place my order?
FIDO*98*
AG
Kinda goes with my last point, but, I wonder what I'd have to charge per/doz just to hit a break-even on ingredients and let's just factor a low labor rate of $10/hr. They wouldn't be cheap that's for sure.

Also, the advice I dropped was just for traditional Pork tamales. The other great thing about being a Gringo is that you can use your imagination and come up with some interesting variations. Just look what happened to the Kolache when people with imagination Culturally Appropriated them from the Bohunks. We went from Sausage Kolaches to Boudain Kolaches, Ruben Kolaches, Cuban Kolaches, etc. Sky's the limit.

mike073
AG
Another good trick is to make up 6 or so, wrap them in damp paper towels, microwave to cook and taste them (let them cool a bit) before making up the rest. You can certainly adjust seasonings before continuing to spread them.

This little guy is an easy, great way for beginners to get their feet wet:

https://www.fiestaspices.com/product/tamale-fixins-kit/

Max certainly uses the right spices!
Gig 'em Aggies!

AgsMnn
AG
Lady at work does a chicken, cream cheese, and jalapeo tamale.

Super good.
AggieBarstool
Martin Cash said:

DeWrecking Crew said:

Ugh. Smothering a tamale in anything is an insult. They must be s*** tamales.
chico
AG
look for Salvadoran tamales. Much fluffier masa, cooked in banana leaves. They often fill them with chicken or pork, cheese and olives. Some will have "curtido" for topping (and for their pupusas); the curtido is a spicy cabbage topping.
expresswrittenconsent
FIDO*98* said:

Kinda goes with my last point, but, I wonder what I'd have to charge per/doz just to hit a break-even on ingredients and let's just factor a low labor rate of $10/hr. They wouldn't be cheap that's for sure.

Also, the advice I dropped was just for traditional Pork tamales. The other great thing about being a Gringo is that you can use your imagination and come up with some interesting variations. Just look what happened to the Kolache when people with imagination Culturally Appropriated them from the Bohunks. We went from Sausage Kolaches to Boudain Kolaches, Ruben Kolaches, Cuban Kolaches, etc. Sky's the limit.

Appropriated Bean and cheese tamale >>>> traditional pork tamale.
patr30n
THIS
EFE
AG
It's too late for this year, but remember https://deliastamales.com/ for next year to save yourself a ton of work
fav13andac1)c
AG
AggieBarstool said:

Martin Cash said:

DeWrecking Crew said:

Oh boy, there are tamale snobs now? When will it end?
mike073
AG
Delia plans a store front in San Antonio before next season.
Gig 'em Aggies!

RGV AG
AG
Southern Mexican ones are similar, with whole pieces of chicken and or pork and other ingredients in them. You can get them at most La Michoacana's. Best ones I ever had in El Salvador had "Loroco" in them, which I have no idea what it is in Gringo/English. I too like the Salvadorian "Curtidos or Encurtidos".

Nicaragua makes "Nacatamales", which I grew to love. Similar to the Salvadorian/Southern Mexican ones, but with different spices (they use mint which I am not crazy about) and sliced potatoes, tomatoes, stewed rice and other varied and sundry things.

As far as the corn husk ones go, I am snobby in the sense that I like them fresh and prefer bean or cheese ones, with Japs. Not crazy about the meat ones. In the corn husk they do not keep well and will get dry quickly, then you have to steam them to get them moist. Although a toasted one with ketchup on it is actually pretty good too.

But I agree, to me the Southern Mexican and Central American variety are more gooder.

I got a place in Mexico I can get some excellent ones for between $2.60 to $3.00 a dozen. I am not crazy about Pork ones anyway, so no worries about crossing them. Not as fat as Delia's, but to me a little tastier, kind like Delia's 10 or more years ago.
chico
AG
RGV AG said:

You can get them at most La Michoacana's. Best ones I ever had in El Salvador had "Loroco" in them, which I have no idea what it is in Gringo/English.
Loroco is some sort of herb from a flower. It has a kind of addictive quality to it that's very satisfying. Salvadoran pupusas are not usually my thing (too heavy and gut-busting) but if you get them with loroco as a filling and covered in curtido then they're ok. Loroco is pretty tasty stuff, but I've never cooked with it - only had it in pupusas.

At the check-out counter of La Michoacana's (at least the ones in Houston and similar carnicerias) they usually have a steamer going next to the cashier. That steamer will have corn-only tamales. These tend to be thicker and fluffier than the usual tamales, sometimes with whole kernel corn included in the masa. I don't know how they make them, but they're very filling and can be tasty. I suspect somebody drives around Houston and sells them wholesale to the carnicerias. I've never noticed a label or brand name, just the mini-steamer with tamales inside.
RGV AG
AG
Cool, thanks for the info boss.

Yeah, Loroco is a kinda like between an herb and plant filler, I never could figure it out, I just ate it. I used to eat breakfast at a Mr. Donut in San Salvador like every morning for about 3 months and I ate the piss out of scrambled eggs and loroco. Some homemade tamal's that I had in San Miguel had loroco sprinkled in and it gave them really good flavor.

I love, I mean love, pupusas. There is a spot in El Salvador, Olocuita I think, between San Salvador and the airport where they make pupusas out of Rice flour. They are an incredible thing. They even have spicy curtidos there, lol. I never turn down a pupusa. Ironically growing up in Mex, I was and am still not fond of gorditas, but for some reason do like pupusas.

Salvadorian's like Mexican's have some sweet tamales too, which are also good. I think the sweet ones there are in the corn husk deal as well.
schmellba99
AG
AggieBarstool said:

Martin Cash said:

DeWrecking Crew said:

Negative.

100% gringo here, and I eat my tamales gringo way - with fried eggs over easy so that the yolk is still good and runny. Christmas tradition, and I love every second of it.
chico
AG
RGV AG said:

Cool, thanks for the info boss.

Yeah, Loroco is a kinda like between an herb and plant filler, I never could figure it out, I just ate it. I used to eat breakfast at a Mr. Donut in San Salvador like every morning for about 3 months and I ate the piss out of scrambled eggs and loroco. Some homemade tamal's that I had in San Miguel had loroco sprinkled in and it gave them really good flavor.

Salvadorian's like Mexican's have some sweet tamales too, which are also good. I think the sweet ones there are in the corn husk deal as well.

Interesting stuff! Loroco on eggs....

Lots of tamales types including sweet flavors at Dona Tere, several in Houston
Jetty
AG
Delicious Tamales in San Antonio....
HTownAg98
The worst homemade tamales I've had are better than Delicious tamales. Find someone local that makes them.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.