Outdoors
Sponsored by

*****Alone 2020. 100 days in the arctic*****

20,357 Views | 132 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by shiftyandquick
aggiepaintrain
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Callie was also a BEAST!!
She could have made it
AgBQ-00
AG
Easily the best season so far. Roland is just on another level. Someone said it earlier it really seemed he was just living how he lives. Freaking amazing know how and stamina by all the final three.
Trucker 96
I was wondering if her choice of shoe-ware ended up her undoing. Roland definitely had a different approach as far as boots go.
htxag09
AG
Fairview said:

Roland is easily the best contestant the show has ever seen. I think they manufactured some drama of him struggling at the end. He had a lot more food left. Dude just isn't a people person and he knows it. In the reunion when they asked what he wants to do with the money he said visit family and disappear for a year.

Same with his firewood. Made it seem like he spent all day every day chopping wood just to keep up. When he was packing up he had a big ass wall of it stacked up behind him.
JSKolache
AG
MF ate musk ox cud for shiggles, even though he had other food around. That's ice cold.
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
Dude had a marrow stash and he ate musk ox cud. Then they show him getting upset because his shelter was too good and his berry stash didn't freeze. I also laughed about the wood. Callie was saying it was a struggle and I pointed out to my wife "dude looks to have about a cord sitting outside his front door". Stacked and cut neater than 90% of people in a real house.

I hate to lose a fish while fishing, imagine after 2 hours of freezing your ass off to the point she was even able to reach back in and get her bait back it was that damn close. I would have had the meltdowns of all meltdowns. That was nearly a week of food for her.

Really impressed with Callie's reasoning on the porcupine meat and to get that damn quill out. The ladies just had some really bad luck of the draw getting matched up with the Michael Jordan/Jack Nicklaus/Wayne Gretzky of outdooring.
Trucker 96
Roland's response on clubbing the porcupine to death sort of cracked me up. "It's one of my favorite ways to dispatch anyway. I'm sort of a club kind of dude"
Fairview
AG
Bingo Bango Bongo said:

Roland's response on clubbing the porcupine to death sort of cracked me up. "It's one of my favorite ways to dispatch anyway. I'm sort of a club kind of dude"
That was great. Also, the story he was telling about taking his first porcupine with his dad when he was really little and now whenever he eats porcupine he thinks about that.

I thought it was hilarious that he regularly eats porcupine and brings it up like its normal.
Trucker 96
As great as Callie was, his handling of the porcupine was another area where it was evident he was just on another level. He carefully drags it back to camp and then burns all the quills off to preserve as much skin/fat as possible while she seemed to dress it more traditionally and ends up having to fish a quill out of herself later.
clobby
AG
Doesn't help to use porcupine quills for sewing lines in her coat either.
98Ag99Grad
AG
For $1,000,000 i might be chopping my big toe off with my ax then eating it for dinner. To be med tapped with 10 days left sucks!
SharkinAg
AG
Great season. Roland handled everything obstacle with the same " well that sucks but we'll get through it" mentality. I'd be primo tv with my melt downs lol. Loved it.
jetch17
AG
Finally got around to watching it last night on DVR

Roland is a Yeti
strohag
AG
Great season. Only way Roland was going to lose was a major accident or injury. He talked the whole season about being careful. Dude is a pro.
Trucker 96
Yeah, I was a little nervous for Roland when he'd venture down by the water. That's where I could see him taking a hard fall and ending his run. His access to the lake seemed extra treacherous
CrottyKid
AG
Bingo Bango Bongo said:

Yeah, I was a little nervous for Roland when he'd venture down by the water. That's where I could see him taking a hard fall and ending his run. His access to the lake seemed extra treacherous
Why didn't he catch snow or take ice back to his shelter to melt it? Seems like that would be safer than walking down to the water every time.
jetch17
AG
He said it was a B to melt snow bc you only get very little yield per full pot melted and are constantly going back and forth to keep it going. Guess he didn't have the patience
CrottyKid
AG
Yeah, and if he had snares or crossed game trails on the way, it makes sense.
CrottyKid
AG

Roland talks more about his story.
Fairview
AG
That was interesting.

Dude spends 180 days a year in a tent in real wilderness. He has 23 years of leading / participating in 5-7 10 day big game hunts a year. His home "town" is Red Devil Alaska. Look that up on google maps. Not a lot happening there. If anyone was made for Alone it was Roland.

I really admire people that have the courage to follow their passion like he did and start at a young age. He's a smart guy, served his country, and is living life how he wants. That's the American dream.

He alludes to several other stories during that video. Hopefully they do more of these and he can tell those stories.

CrottyKid
AG
Agreed. I would read a book that was just full of his stories one after another.
Bregxit
AG
CrottyKid said:

Agreed. I would read a book that was just full of his stories one after another.

Been one for a while...

https://www.rolandwelker.com/product-page/the-last-bushman
Pooh Ah
AG
New season June 3

Tony Franklins Other Shoe
SharkinAg
AG
Can't wait
Dirk Diggler
AG
Just finished season 7, so caught up for season 8 now. Favorite quote came at the end of the interview in the finale. The last 3 were all badasses.

Callie: "Roland you stabbed a Musk Ox... your insane."
Roland: " Thank you".
Mwm019
I created an account just to respond. I just finished the season.
Roland had f''ing bone marrow left at the end, and enough to share with his sister. Dude killed it. Wasn't even close to being forced to tap, had another few weeks easy
shiftyandquick
Just finished season 7. That was a good season. Three worthy finalists, any of them could have won. And the fourth wasn't chopped liver either.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.