Outdoors
Sponsored by

Pawnshop owner who shot and killed looter in Minneapolis is arrested for murder.

9,479 Views | 50 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by TxTarpon
Naveronski
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Yes, you do.
GMaster0
Was just thinking about this and what rights SBOs have to defend their livelihoods.

Hard decisions on when to take actions. My only other reference is warfare, where things are a bit less restricted. ROE usually tries to use escalation of force to make it known not to come close.

Have no idea if the same principles can be applies to SBOs on a civil basis.
Bradley.Kohr.II
AG
Hard to believe someone thought it would be possible to safely retreat, while in a building being looted. Cannot see how going out, into a riot, is a safer idea than staying in a building, unless the building is on fire...

And, it might have to be a rather large fire, to convince me to try it.
monarch
S
Back to the intruder doing the looting, shoot him. Sorry. Why is the guy looting/stealing/taking something that belongs to someone else in the first place?
HookThis
AG
mts6175 said:

'03ag said:

Our CHL instructor told us if you shoot someone, expect to spend the night in jail, justified or not.
Mine told us that plus get ready for $100k+ in legal fees.....
He's trying to sell insurance, that's a ridiculous sum
78_Pacecar
AG
HookThis said:

mts6175 said:

'03ag said:

Our CHL instructor told us if you shoot someone, expect to spend the night in jail, justified or not.
I don't thinks it's that ridiculous when you add up legal fees for both the criminal and civil cases that will likely be brought.

Even if the prosecutor decides the actions were justified, and the mayor isn't looking for their 5 minutes, the poor victims family is on their way for a check.
30wedge
CT'97 said:

I'm not speculating on what happened in this instance. But even in Texas, if you follow a thief out of your residence/business and shoot them as they run away you are not protected and had better hire some very good lawyers.
Depends on where you are. My brother owned a convenience store and shot a robber in the back as he ran away. He had seen him on a security camera holding a knife (as I recall) on one of the girls at the registers. Didn't kill him but was no-billed. City cops, sheriff's deputies and one game warden brought him those 5 packs of buckshot or slugs for a couple of weeks after the incident.

Probably helped to be living in a small town where vermin are vermin and not looked at favorably by the residents.
Cromagnum
AG
CT'97 said:

I'm not speculating on what happened in this instance. But even in Texas, if you follow a thief out of your residence/business and shoot them as they run away you are not protected and had better hire some very good lawyers.

Thief says "I'm gonna kill you later" as they are fleeing your gun.
GeorgiAg
AG
AstroAggie15 said:

03ki11erAG said:

Just read this which is interesting.

Quote:

Police spokesman John Elder confirmed at midnight that one person was in custody and one person was dead but named neither.

Elder also said he believes Minnesota's "duty to retreat" law means a businessowner doesn't have a right to defend their property with lethal force because it's not their home.

Glad I live in Texas that doesn't have a bull**** duty to retreat law.

Thugs here know if they even thought about rioting they'd be shot. And that's a good thing.
Georgia has a stand your ground law too for your habitation, real estate or personal property. You can defend non-habitation real estate or property, though, only if you think a "forcible felony" will be committed.

"I saw him reach into his waistband for what looked like a gun. I was in fear for my life." Then shut the hell up and lawyer up. If they ask other questions, repeat what you said and shut up.
BenderRodriguez
AG
What really gets to me here is the dichotomy.

Business owner shoots a man during a riot threatening his business. Immediately arrested, and they'll sort it out later.

Cop whose actions sparked the riot is apparently walking around free in another state while dozens of cops (who abandoned said business owner to either flee or protect his own property with no assistance from them) protect his empty house 24/7.

That sucks on every level.
Pahdz
The delay in charging the cops is autopsy results and per the state AG (a super liberal black man) they want to make sure it's air tight.

Just a crappy situation all around up here.
Pahdz
As soon as I post that, they have him in custody now
Gunny456
AG
That law was changed according to a CHL instructor and LEO. It used to give specific statues that changed after sundown. Now it is the same daylight or dark......to the good guys advantage as I understand it.
EMY92
AG
Personally, I think all looters should be shot.
FrontPorchAg
03ki11erAG said:

Just read this which is interesting.

Quote:

Police spokesman John Elder confirmed at midnight that one person was in custody and one person was dead but named neither.

Elder also said he believes Minnesota's "duty to retreat" law means a businessowner doesn't have a right to defend their property with lethal force because it's not their home.

Remind me to never go to that ****ty state.
All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others
FrontPorchAg
HookThis said:

mts6175 said:

'03ag said:

At $200-$400 per hour for a good lawyer and a case that could be in court for years I don't think $100K is out of the question.
All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others
TxTarpon

Quote:

Yep.
Gone are the days of bagging a thief and staying home.*

*unless you have badge.
----------------------------------
Texans make the best songwriters because they are the best liars.-Rodney Crowell

We will never give up our guns Steve, we don't care if there is a mass shooting every day of the week.
-BarronVonAwesome

A man with experience is not at the mercy of another man with an opinion.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.