Outdoors
Sponsored by

Pawnshop owner who shot and killed looter in Minneapolis is arrested for murder.

9,213 Views | 50 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by TxTarpon
Yesterday
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
There's still a lot to be discovered but the theory is the owner shot a looter breaking into his store. Is a shooting justified when trying to protect your business from looting in a riot?

[url=http://www.citypages.com/news/lake-street-burned-looted-in-chaotic-night-pawn-shop-owner-arrested-for-murder/570830041][/url]
Quote:

One man was shot and killed outside Cadillac Pawn and Jewelry, the Star Tribune reports. Police spokesman John Elder told reporters the department is "truly in the infancy of its investigation" into the shooting death. The victim's name and age are not yet public.

John Rieple, 59 and as Cadillac's owner, was arrested and booked into Hennepin County Jail on suspicion of murder around 2 a.m. last night.
http://www.citypages.com/news/lake-street-burned-looted-in-chaotic-night-pawn-shop-owner-arrested-for-murder/570830041
Yesterday
AG
Just read this which is interesting.

Quote:

Police spokesman John Elder confirmed at midnight that one person was in custody and one person was dead but named neither.

Elder also said he believes Minnesota's "duty to retreat" law means a businessowner doesn't have a right to defend their property with lethal force because it's not their home.
'03ag
Our CHL instructor told us if you shoot someone, expect to spend the night in jail, justified or not.
jabberwalkie09
AG
Something about beating the wrap but not the ride comes to mind.
AstroAggie15
AG
03ki11erAG said:

Quote:

Police spokesman John Elder confirmed at midnight that one person was in custody and one person was dead but named neither.

Elder also said he believes Minnesota's "duty to retreat" law means a businessowner doesn't have a right to defend their property with lethal force because it's not their home.

Glad I live in Texas that doesn't have a bull**** duty to retreat law.

Thugs here know if they even thought about rioting they'd be shot. And that's a good thing.
CT'97
AG
I'm not speculating on what happened in this instance. But even in Texas, if you follow a thief out of your residence/business and shoot them as they run away you are not protected and had better hire some very good lawyers.
Naveronski
AG
CT'97 said:

I'm not speculating on what happened in this instance. But even in Texas, if you follow a thief out of your residence/business and shoot them as they run away you are not protected and had better hire some very good lawyers.

Is that what happened, or are you speculating?
LEJ
The right kind of gun control. RIH perp
expresswrittenconsent
I'm speculating based on the limited info I've seen from this thread that its a bad arrest.
Naveronski
AG
expresswrittenconsent said:

I'm speculating based on the limited info I've seen from this thread that its a bad arrest.

I'd speculate that I agree with you.

Shooting happens in the middle of a riot; arrest him now and let someone else figure it out.
mts6175
AG
'03ag said:

Our CHL instructor told us if you shoot someone, expect to spend the night in jail, justified or not.
Mine told us that plus get ready for $100k+ in legal fees.....
DannyDuberstein
AG
really sucks to have to potentially go bankrupt just because you rightfully defended yourself and property (if that's what happened)
expresswrittenconsent
DannyDuberstein said:

really sucks to have to potentially go bankrupt just because you rightfully defended yourself and property (if that's what happened)

Single payer legal is coming after healthcare.
fightingfarmer09
It is interesting that this store owner was arrested on suspicion of murder. Yet, the officer involved in the source of the riots hasn't even been brought in on any charges.
CT'97
AG
Naveronski said:

CT'97 said:

Is that what happened, or are you speculating?
My comment was intended to be addressed to the post prior to mine and had nothing to do with what happened in Minneapolis. I worded it weird.
PneumAg
'03ag said:

If you (1) shoot somebody who has broken into your home, (2) shoot somebody else who is an active shooter, or (3) shoot somebody attempting to carjack you when you have children in the car, you likely will not be arrested. Anything other than those three, and your CHL instructor is correct.
proc
AG
In Texas, you can use deadly force to protect your property from theft or criminal mischief at night.
I Am A Critic
proc said:

In Texas, you can use deadly force to protect your property from theft or criminal mischief at night.

Because you can doesn't mean you should.
Username checks out.
Alte Schule
Like most states Minnesota pawn shops sell firearms and ammunition..The pawn shop owner may have done the city a favor by keeping firearms out the hands of persons with nefarious intent.
schmellba99
AG
I Am A Critic said:

proc said:

Because you can doesn't mean you should.
I would say the same thing about theft, looting, breaking and entering, etc. too.

I'm kinda weird like that though.
78_Pacecar
AG
Alte Schule said:

Like most states Minnesota pawn shops sell firearms and ammunition..The pawn shop owner may have done the city a favor by keeping firearms out the hands of persons with nefarious intent.
Pawn shop will be looted tonight since the owner is in custody.
Yesterday
AG
78_Pacecar said:

Alte Schule said:

Pawn shop will be looted tonight since the owner is in custody.

It was cleaned out moments after the owner was arrested.
River Bass
What a stupid law that MN has.
That whole state is pretty backwards.

I think Texas' law on the matter is just right
MaxPower
Alte Schule said:

This was my thought. If there are guns in my store then I am shooting anyone who breaks in. I don't consider it defending my property, it's about basic civil responsibility to prevent criminals from arming themselves. And this is coming from someone who thought the clowns who shot Arbury should have been booked from the get go.
UTExan
'03ag said:

It may be policy, but it sucks. I seem to recall that under Texas law, the arrested person may demand to be taken before a magistrate. I have been out of the state for 3 decades so that may have changed.
It is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness- Sir Terence Pratchett
“ III stooges si viveret et nos omnes ad quos etiam probabile est mittent custard pies”
Martin Cash
AG
jabberwalkie09 said:

Wrap?????
jabberwalkie09
AG
Martin Cash said:

jabberwalkie09 said:

Wrap?????

Well, autocorrect strikes again. But you're getting wrapped up in beating that rap.
Slamn Sharpe
AstroAggie15 said:

03ki11erAG said:

Quote:

Thugs here know if they even thought about rioting they'd be shot. And that's a good thing.

You're gonna need that AR10 if it does go down though
Slamn Sharpe
Martin Cash said:

jabberwalkie09 said:

Wrap?????

I used to beat mine unwrapped
AstroAggie15
AG
McDadeTXAggie said:

AstroAggie15 said:

03ki11erAG said:

Quote:

I got the suppressed 300 blk for discrete defense
Eliminatus
AG
McDadeTXAggie said:

Martin Cash said:

jabberwalkie09 said:

Wrap?????

I used to beat mine unwrapped

I still do
HeadGames
AG
AstroAggie15 said:

McDadeTXAggie said:

AstroAggie15 said:

03ki11erAG said:

Quote:

I got a SCAR 17 for indiscreet defense.
AstroAggie15
AG
HeadGames said:

AstroAggie15 said:

McDadeTXAggie said:

AstroAggie15 said:

03ki11erAG said:

Quote:

Well that's just inconsiderate
Naveronski
AG
AstroAggie15 said:

HeadGames said:

AstroAggie15 said:

McDadeTXAggie said:

AstroAggie15 said:

03ki11erAG said:

Quote:

Well that's just inconsiderate
12" 7.62 for some contact distance ****ery, put a can on it for touching the mailbox.
BenderRodriguez
AG
Naveronski said:

12" 7.62 for some contact distance ****ery, put a can on it for touching the mailbox.

I really need to SBR my 12" PTR 91.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.