Outdoors
Sponsored by

Quiet squirrel gun

10,339 Views | 71 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by FatZilla
Sarge 91
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Not that I would ever discharge a firearm near a residential neighborhood, but if one were to get tired of popping some bird feeder robbing squirrels in their butts with a pellet gun and wanted to use something more lethal, what does ODB recommend? Obviously reduced sound would be a plus, for discretion. Hypothetically.
ought1ag
AG
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009FG7H2O/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

this one is pretty quiet and I know for a fact it can help control your squirrel issue
AnScAggie
AG
I have a Gamo Whisper Fusion .22 cal, it's definitely not silent but it gets the job done.
rab79
AG
pumped up sheridan blue streak .22 caliber pellet gun will do the trick. I kill skunks with 7 pumps.
AggieMPH2005
22 pistol with a suppressor but be sure you have a proper backstop.
Neches21
.22 Shorts, .22 CBs, or CCI Quiet .22 Long Rifle rounds may be as quite as some of the louder air guns.
Caladan
A suppressed .22lr bolt-action rifle w/CCI Quiet-22. The sound of the bullet hitting the squirrel is louder than the muzzle blast.
Naveronski
AG
Similarly, a suppressed .22 with the quiet CCI ammo can be fired from inside the dining room without waking your wife taking a nap in the living room.
TRIDENT
AG
Another option: my son uses this blowgun on squirrels in my yard with deadly effect:

www.amazon.com/Cold-Steel-Signature-Master-Blowgun/dp/B06XNZ24SG

JeremiahJohnson
AG
Get a Benjamin Maurader. Shoots 28 grain, .25 cal pellets at 900 ft/sec. Those ballistics are similar to a 22 short
cledus6150
AG
CZ 455 in 22Lr using CCI quiets with a SiCo Sparrow.

highvelocity
AG
ruger 10/22 w/ sico sparrow and red dot. cant hear a thing
Owner of Texas Strap Company use code TEXAGS for 15% off
www.txstrapco.com

Sales Director for BCA Firearms
www.bcafirearmstx.com
JeremiahJohnson
AG
My Sparrow is still in jail....... ATF needs to get back to work.

My dad got the Q- Erector with that same CZ 455. The Erector is awesome and almost wish I would have bought that one.
Unemployed
AG
Dude lives in a residential neighborhood and some of you are suggesting .22LR? Craaaaaaaaaazzzzyyyyy.

I've found that a trap and a bucket full of water is the easiest and quietest method to use for the disposal of tree rats.
EFE
AG
Y'all need to check out CCI segmented hollow points, they are straight murder on varmints
jkc001
Here's what I recommend. I have one and it's bad news for squirrels.

http://www.airguns.net/reviews_r1.php
SW-14
AG
Funny you posted this, I was researching the exact same thing this morning. The Gamo Whisper looks interesting, but a little pricey. Since airguns are technically not firearms you don't need a tax stamp for a supressor. I guess it depends on where you live if that makes a difference regarding "discharge of a firearm" laws, but from what I've gathered in unincorporated Harris county you're fine as long as the projectile doesn't leave your property.
gonemaroon
AG
That is baller
Strongwind86
AG
Try the Aguila Colibri or Super Colibri ammo out of your 22 revolver or rifle. It's really no different than the air rifles. but more fun....

Aguila Colibri rimfire click on Special Products

Ballistics
Colibri : 20 grain bullet at 420 ft/sec
Super Colibri : 20 grain bullet at 590 ft/sec

The Colibri ammo works better in revolvers.
The Super Colibri will work well in a bolt rifle

It's quieter than my Gamo 177 cal rifle.
88agswin
AG
If you get a suppressor like the Sparrow for the .22 and use the subsonic ammo at 750 FPS you can literally hear the thump on the bullet impact. I don't shoot mine in my backyard due to being in a subdivision but like the others said you will NEVER hear this setup over a .177/.22 pellet gun.

This is my Browning T-Bolt with a 3x12 Leupold and the Sparrow suppressor....absolute blast to shoot and EXTREMELY accurate.

JSKolache
AG
.22 colibris
ConstructionAg01
AG
My squirrel count is currently at 19 with a Gamo Whisperer .177 cal. All confirmed kills and generally body shots. I don't think you have to have a .22lr.

I mean, you may "need" one and that's fine.
Post removed:
by user
wtmartinaggie
AG
i use a benjamin maruader .22cal pellet rifle. deadly accurate, quiet, and easy to use. put a good scope on it and you're good out to 40yds.

you also get about 30 shots between repressurizing, which you do with a bike pump-like device.
FancyKetchup14
AG
wtmartinaggie said:

i use a benjamin maruader .22cal pellet rifle. deadly accurate, quiet, and easy to use. put a good scope on it and you're good out to 40yds.

you also get about 30 shots between repressurizing, which you do with a bike pump-like device.
This.

I grew up shooting squirrels in a residential backyard with a single-cock pellet gun. We put a cheap, 3 power scope on it and aimed for the head. If we hit the body no big as long as we got them on the ground because the dog would do the rest. It was a family affair and we decimated the squirrel population in our neighborhood. The body count ended up being around 500 after seven years of keeping track. The best was when we'd get three in a day. I hated those little b*stards.
jmazz
AG
I have this: https://gamousa.com/product/accu-whisper-177-caliber-breakbarrel/

It works.
techno-ag
AG
The new Benjamin Nitros are made in China sad to say. I have an earlier model and a newer one in synthetic and you can really tell the difference in quality.

Whatever you get, if sticking with pellet, a 22 has better knock down power than 177. I have a Benjamin Marauder in 25 that is even better.

High powered PCPs are a rabbit hole though. Pumping by hand is no fun, but mechanical pumps able to handle high pressure are expensive. Some people use scuba shops, or paintball shops or friendly fire stations to refill tanks. Regardless, it's a lot of fun if you go the PCP route. Suppressed shots similar to a 22, extremely good accuracy, cheap ammo, lots of fun.
lb3
AG
law80
AG
Just get a Red-Tailed Hawk.
FIDO*98*
AG
You accidentally linked to a picture of enchiladas instead of a trash bin
TX AG 88
AG
i used to live on Lake Placid in Seguin. My neighborhood was called Pecan Cove. I had 17 pecan trees in my yard (I know because I paid per tree to have them treated for webworms every year). My yard was understandably overrun with squirrels.

We thought they were cute the first summer/fall we lived there. Then in the winter, they tore up all the upholstery on our patio/deck furniture for nesting material. My wife gave me the green light to take them out.

I had a chinese underlever pellet rifle that had been touted on here (I think). It cost fifty-something bucks. I put a $10-20 .22 scope and used "hollow point" .177 pellets (both from Academy) and that thing was deadly! The report of the air escaping the barrel was definitely noticeable, but still FAR less than any firearm I've ever shot, and that includes CB caps out of a .22. (No experience with a suppressor, yet, but hope to rectify that.)

I'm almost positive the gun came from Northern Tool (online) but it had dropped out of their inventory last time I looked. Amazon had them at one time, too.

It was accurate and had good range. From my balcony to the waterfront was at least 100' and I took out several with one shot in the farthest tree out by the water. On close shots the pellet hit while the escaping air was still audible, but on longer shots you could hear the pellet hit the squirrel. It sounded like a little baseball hitting a little catchers mitt! Ah, the good old days.

Search for "Chinese underlever" and if it looks kinda like an SKS with blonde wood, take a chance!
SteveBott
AG
I have a pecan tree in my backyard that has not dropped a single pecan to the ground in 15 years. Squirrels decimate it every year about time the nut is grown but the shell is still green.

The first squirrel in the tree I went and got a no name rugs pellet gun from academy. I killed it and thought the war was won. Not so.

A couple of days I killed another one. A couple of days one more. They overwhelmed my line of defense and have done so ever since.

I hate those rats
SharkinAg
AG
Get some Aguila super colibri rounds. Is basically just the primer with no powder. 20 grain bullets. In a bolt action it is quieter than any 22 with a suppressor. If you happen to have a bolt action with a suppressor and use these rounds, you'll giggle every time.
smstavinoha88
AG
I used a Compound bow with one of the small game tips and it was a lot of fun
SWCBonfire
AG
https://scheels.scene7.com/is/image/Scheels/01162700300?wid=1200&hei=1200
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.