Outdoors
Sponsored by

Coming up for air.... this **** has been crazy

15,599 Views | 103 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Woods Ag
proc
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So you're saying now is a good time to special order that Ruger 57? Can I pick it up Tuesday?
BCStalk
Good luck. Already tried finding one.
cz308
I might have missed it somewhere, but why is everyone buying up all the guns and ammo right now? Closer to the election, sure, but why now?
HvilleAggie
AG
panic in the streets, infected zombie apocalypse, economy is going to crash and the guy with the most ammo wins, I already have 9 so better make it an even 10, always been on the fence so taking the plunge... pick your reason
schmellba99
AG
I refuse to tell you who I am when I walk through the door.

Me walking through the door:
LEJ
cz308 said:

I might have missed it somewhere, but why is everyone buying up all the guns and ammo right now? Closer to the election, sure, but why now?

Is this guy serious?
schmellba99
AG
cz308 said:

Have you been on a deserted island and have just now returned to civilization in the last 24 hours?
dwaynes82
AG
I have a DW Valor .45 5" 1911 available, low round count, black College Station
BrazosDog02
AG
LEJ said:

cz308 said:

Is this guy serious?

He's probably serious and also probably very practical. Much like myself, I understand what has triggered these unprepared souls, but guns and toilet paper are in the back of my brain STILL trying to be understood and processed. As I said I guess people are going to take massive ****s and then go shoot the infected...I dunno.

That said, after ALL of the panic buys previously, we have slowly been purchasing ammo and weapons IN BETWEEN crises as opportunities arise. Now, sitting in this, we are fully stocked and have been for years. We LIVE stocked. So when all this stuff hits the fan, we just kinda camp out and do our thing at the house. There is NO panic or concern on our end. Maybe there should be, but the feeling of peace that comes with being stocked up is pretty liberating. There is nothing like watching people take carts of toilet paper and thinking to yourself "You crazy ass people" as you open your storage closet and see 6 mega packs that have continually remained stocked for years. Same with food.

NOW IS NOT THE TIME TO PREPARE. YESTERDAY WAS.
cz308
schmellba99 said:

cz308 said:

Have you been on a deserted island and have just now returned to civilization in the last 24 hours?
Let me guess, you are hoarding TP too huh? I have more than enough firearms and ammo so panic buying makes no sense to me. People are just thinking oh crap the TP is gone so I better go buy ammo?
Aggie304
" I guess people are going to take massive ****s and then go shoot the infected...I"
Aggieangler93
AG
I think people start to think about looting scenarios and defending themselves and their property. That crosses my mind more in these times. I have also been stocking up over time since the last major scare. But that doesn't mean I wouldn't take another 500-1000 rounds of 223.
Class of '93 - proud Dad of a '22 grad and a '26 student!
flipper94
AG
dwayne, definitely interested. I do have to wait till this corona stuff eases up as my wife won't allow me to play with friends right now.

If you get a quicker opportunity, please don't hesitate on my behalf, but I would like to discuss further. Got any numbers in mind?
BrazosDog02
AG
cz308 said:

schmellba99 said:

cz308 said:

Let me guess, you are hoarding TP too huh? I have more than enough firearms and ammo so panic buying makes no sense to me. People are just thinking oh crap the TP is gone so I better go buy ammo?
I think all of this is more about:

"OH ****, THE JONES ARE BUYING xxxxx, I BETTER GO BUY xxxxx BECAUSE I LACK CRITICAL THINKING SKILLS AND NEED TO MAKE UP FOR IT AND FEEL BETTER.
schmellba99
AG
cz308 said:

schmellba99 said:

cz308 said:

Hoarding?

No. Smart enough to have a couple of weeks of TP at any given time and a crap ton of ammo stocked up based on historical events (magnified during election years to boot)?

Yes.

Honestly, if you didn't learn on the ammo front from Sandy hook, the 8 years of Obama, etc. - there is literally nothing in this world that can hammer through your thick skull that people wig out over anything and everything and that keeping a supply of something (such as, oh, I don't know - ammo, TP, dry goods) that will last for more than a few days is simply a prudent thing to do. And if you couldn't figure out by about mid Feb that this thing was going to blow up, then you were either oblivious or are willfully ignorant and don't put any real amount of time into thinking more than a day or two ahead.

I have a wife and 2 daughters at home - TP is always in stock here. Always. It has to be. I lived through both Obama panics, Sandy Hook panic and every other run on firearms and ammo in between and learned to keep rounds and components on hand simply because I didn't want to be in any position where I didn't have enough ammo that i couldn't go shoot what I wanted when I wanted. Not a hard concept.
hunter2012
AG
Aggieangler93 said:

I think people start to think about looting scenarios and defending themselves and their property. That crosses my mind more in these times. I have also been stocking up over time since the last major scare. But that doesn't mean I wouldn't take another 500-1000 rounds of 223.

I'm concerned that I only have 1k 223 that are still unopened. Guess I'll be leaning on 9mm for a while. How much do I have to buy before I won't worry about it anymore?
cz308
BrazosDog02 said:

cz308 said:

schmellba99 said:

cz308 said:

I think all of this is more about:

"OH ****, THE JONES ARE BUYING xxxxx, I BETTER GO BUY xxxxx BECAUSE I LACK CRITICAL THINKING SKILLS AND NEED TO MAKE UP FOR IT AND FEEL BETTER.
Well said!
Aggieangler93
AG
hunter2012 said:

Aggieangler93 said:

I'm concerned that I only have 1k 223 that are still unopened. Guess I'll be leaning on 9mm for a while. How much do I have to buy before I won't worry about it anymore?
That's personal preference. I don't get to shoot as often as I would like to, so having around 2-3 thousand rounds at hand works for me. If we had to expend that much in personal protection....that's at least (700) 30 round mags, we would be hosed anyway, and should probably be using a Ma Duece!!!

Others can answer that better than me.

.40 was so cheap for a while, I think I could shoot with both hands for 8 hours straight, and not run out!!! LOL Loading mags would suck and my wrists would hurt like a mother....
Class of '93 - proud Dad of a '22 grad and a '26 student!
BigBrother
AG
What are you doing on Texags!

Aggie304
This is a pretty stupid statement

Many people live in rural areas and small extremely safe communities. If I lived in houston I would have probably already had a firearm for home protection.

But to say that everyone is an idiot that didn't plan for the things that are happening now which are UNPRECEDENTED
well that's just dumb
schmellba99
AG
No, it's not a stupid statement. And this really isn't unprecedented. In fact, in the historical record of pandemics - this thing is 7th grade B team level.
Aggie304
Sure, we always close ALL schools and businesses for fun when it's flu season

schmellba99
AG
Aggie304 said:

Sure, we always close ALL schools and businesses for fun when it's flu season

The overreaction is more than normal, but the actual data shows this thing is towards the bottom in terms of actual lethality, etc.

sorry you don't like that, sorry that not having more than a few days of food, etc. is just not smart.
Aggie304
You assume to know what's in my pantry?

And you know nothing of the lethality of this virus, but on current data it is presumed to be much more lethal than the flu

dwaynes82
AG
I've been grounded myself. Can we take this to email?
CanyonAg77
AG
Quote:

NOW IS NOT THE TIME TO PREPARE. YESTERDAY WAS.
And a few weeks from now will be time to stock up again.
CanyonAg77
AG
Quote:

With a full pantry at home, a month's worth of TP, and a Zombie Apocalypse worth of ammo, it is still unnerving to walk into a store and see bare shelves.

Even the most logical of us have that primitive part of their brain that clicks into overdrive when we precieve ourselves or our family as under threat.
CanyonAg77
AG
Quote:

Many people live in rural areas and small extremely safe communities. If I lived in houston I would have probably already had a firearm for home protection.
My farm is a 15 minute drive from town. And the county deputies could be in my part of the county, or in the northern part, which would require an additional 10 mile detour to cross the canyon to get to me. I think I need a firearm for self protection more than someone in a big town where the cops could respond in a minute or two.
Aggie304
Well I live in Brenham and three of my six closest neighbors are law enforcement

Never felt the need for a firearm before
CanyonAg77
AG
Aggie304 said:

Well I live in Brenham and three of my six closest neighbors are law enforcement

Never felt the need for a firearm before
I live in an incredibly safe town. I sometimes feel a little silly arming myself. But I look at the world and arm myself, just like I carry homeowners insurance, have fire extinguishers in all my vehicles, and use PPE when dealing with farm chemicals.

But if Sutherland Springs or West Freeway Church of Christ haven't changed your mind, nothing I say will influence you.
Aggie304
I'm not asking to be influenced. I purchased a handgun Saturday.

I've owned firearms in the past but for specific purposes. I just don't subscribe to the belief that everyone that hasn't exercised their second amendment rights before now is an idiot.

Not everyone needs a firearm during times.
CanyonAg77
AG
I never called you names.

And I believe the first poster to call someone else stupid was the guy posting at 11:27am.
Aggie304
I simply said the assumption that people without firearms before this crisis

"BECAUSE I LACK CRITICAL THINKING SKILLS AND NEED TO MAKE UP FOR IT AND FEEL BETTER."

Was stupid

zooguy96
I know a lot about a little, and a little about a lot.
xMusashix
AG
So are gun stores considered essential business? What about finger printing services?
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.